Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

WeaselWeaz posted:

Probably the next strongest of the Japanese after Inoki. However, it's a big drop. Inoki did business with Vince Jr. and Sr. Muta worked for WCW.

I'd actually say the next strongest Japanese wrestler is either Baba or Chosu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
I think that the way WWE thinks, if they're going to induct people from overseas, they'll probably do someone from another country next. I'd have to think Carlos Colon is going in soon. However, on the Japanese induction thing, I'll agree that Baba and Chosu are good choices, but if they'll put a person like Gorgeous George in, then why not Rikidozan? Also, I wonder what Stan Hansen's chances are. He's one of the bigger stars in Japan and I think he had a pretty good run with Bruno in the WWF in the 70s.

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde

Yuriy posted:

In the shoot-style puroreso matches that Ditch posted in the puroresu thread, what is the meaning of the squares in the bottom after a wrestler escapes a hold or knocks someone down?

It's a rope-breaks/knock down counter. You lose three squares for a knockdown and one for a rope-break. If you lose all 15 of your squares, you lose the match.

EDIT: Wait, RINGS only has 9 squares. It's something like this, anyway.

lol but fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Apr 25, 2010

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Lone Rogue posted:

Tiger Chung Lee.

Sure he never won a match . . .

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Davros1 posted:

Tiger Chung Lee.

Sure he never won a match . . .

I thought he was Korean.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.

Lone Rogue posted:

Why? Chosu wasn't a big star in America. Neither was Baba and WWE didn't do business with Japan. Also, Baba is dead.

TL posted:

I think that the way WWE thinks, if they're going to induct people from overseas, they'll probably do someone from another country next. I'd have to think Carlos Colon is going in soon. However, on the Japanese induction thing, I'll agree that Baba and Chosu are good choices, but if they'll put a person like Gorgeous George in, then why not Rikidozan? Also, I wonder what Stan Hansen's chances are. He's one of the bigger stars in Japan and I think he had a pretty good run with Bruno in the WWF in the 70s.

Colon is dependent on them wanting to push a Colon, but they did a lot of business with him so he's possible. George was a megastar in the US and his wife was alive, Rikidozan wasn't ever a star in the US and he's been dead a long time with no relatives worth mentioning. Hansen could go in as a Japanese star since he's American, worked territories and New York, and they own footage. Bruno gets closer to accepting going into the Hall of Fame every year, but that's also a year closer to death.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.
The Cena/Batista match made me think of something. Didn't you used to have to get a pinfall before the ref would start a ten count in a last man standing match or did I make that up?

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.

Karmine posted:

The Cena/Batista match made me think of something. Didn't you used to have to get a pinfall before the ref would start a ten count in a last man standing match or did I make that up?

I think that's a Texas Deathmatch.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Karmine posted:

Thats a texas deathmatch. Crush/Savage at WMX was fought under those rules, all last man standing matches since then have had the standing ten count from a knockdown.

Schlitzkrieg Bop
Sep 19, 2005

Skinty McEdger posted:

Thats a texas deathmatch. Crush/Savage at WMX was fought under those rules, all last man standing matches since then have had the standing ten count from a knockdown.

The Savage/Crush match was under weirder rules where falls counted anywhere and the person who was pinned had one minute to get back to the ring.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Kentucky Shark posted:

The Savage/Crush match was under weirder rules where falls counted anywhere and the person who was pinned had one minute to get back to the ring.

And it was loving fantastic.

After reading the Bret book, I have a feeling Vince McMahon didn't hate Savage for something ridiculous like having sex with Steph, but it was more that he wanted to keep him on WWF payroll as an "Ambassador" but refused to let him wrestle. Vince was a complete idiot not allowing Savage to be the veteran of the older generation. WWF could have really used Savage in main events in the mid 90s. It'd be like if Vince kept Michaels hired since 2002 but refused to ever let him work.

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755
There was a clip a while back wherein someone argued a count and got the referee to go his way. Anyone know where it is?

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

What are you looking for?

Matlock posted:

There was a clip a while back wherein someone argued a count and got the referee to go his way. Anyone know where it is?

IIRC, it was in Chikara, and the wrestler who successfully convinced the referee it was a three-count was Darkness Crabtree.

Chikara's also the company where a wrestler has fully admitted to breaking the rules, asks the ref if he'll disqualify him, and the ref says "Nope." Witness Quack's flirtation with the rudo side!

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZVwK-RQfUM#t=1m41s
found it

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Was Necro still playing CP Munk at that point? He got pretty good air selling that stunner.

Dr. Ass
Apr 21, 2008

WeaselWeaz posted:

Probably the next strongest of the Japanese after Inoki. However, it's a big drop. Inoki did business with Vince Jr. and Sr. Muta worked for WCW.

It's not that far off to believe, as has been suggested, that they'll be going WCW crazy with HOF inductions since they finally decided to hold a WrestleMania in Atlanta.

Then again, we all know how petty Vince can be so who knows.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.

Lone Rogue posted:

And it was loving fantastic.

After reading the Bret book, I have a feeling Vince McMahon didn't hate Savage for something ridiculous like having sex with Steph, but it was more that he wanted to keep him on WWF payroll as an "Ambassador" but refused to let him wrestle. Vince was a complete idiot not allowing Savage to be the veteran of the older generation. WWF could have really used Savage in main events in the mid 90s. It'd be like if Vince kept Michaels hired since 2002 but refused to ever let him work.

Putting Savage in the main event would have been counterproductive. He was already getting old and they were trying to build the company around younger stars.

CM Junk posted:

It's not that far off to believe, as has been suggested, that they'll be going WCW crazy with HOF inductions since they finally decided to hold a WrestleMania in Atlanta.

Then again, we all know how petty Vince can be so who knows.

It'll come down to whether business in Japan went up for Wrestlemania, the press for Inoki was why he got in. If it's a bump then more Japanese stars may get in. If not the odds decrease greatly.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

WeaselWeaz posted:

Putting Savage in the main event would have been counterproductive. He was already getting old and they were trying to build the company around younger stars.

I guess HBK vs. Taker was counter-productive?

Not only that, he was still a draw. You're telling me people wouldn't have been fine with Macho vs. Hart?

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

Lone Rogue posted:

I guess HBK vs. Taker was counter-productive?

Not only that, he was still a draw. You're telling me people wouldn't have been fine with Macho vs. Hart?

The WWF was going in a different direction at that time. They were touting the New Generation with people like Hart, Michaels, Perfect & Razor as the stars.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Rusty Shackelford posted:

The WWF was going in a different direction at that time. They were touting the New Generation with people like Hart, Michaels, Perfect & Razor as the stars.

And Bob Backlund. And Jerry Lawler.

Oh wait...

Booblord Sagat
Feb 16, 2010

by T. Finn
Kurt Angle, what the gently caress happened to him? Why did he leave the WWE? Why is he considered to be a crazy rear end in a top hat just about everywhere? Does he still tuck Shelton Benjamin in at night when his Mama is mad at him?

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Booblord Sagat posted:

Kurt Angle, what the gently caress happened to him? Why did he leave the WWE? Why is he considered to be a crazy rear end in a top hat just about everywhere? Does he still tuck Shelton Benjamin in at night when his Mama is mad at him?

This is my understanding based only on reading this forum.

He was dangerously hosed up on drugs, to the point that even Vince was concerned. Vince wanted him to clean up. Kurt said that he would go to rehab or something so Vince let him out of his contract/didn't re-sign him. Instead of doing that he signed with TNA and was made their top star.

As for Shelton he hasn't for awile but probably will start again in about 83 days.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

FishBulb posted:

He was dangerously hosed up on drugs, to the point that even Vince was concerned. Vince wanted him to clean up. Kurt said that he would go to rehab or something so Vince let him out of his contract/didn't re-sign him. Instead of doing that he signed with TNA and was made their top star.

As for Shelton he hasn't for awile but probably will start again in about 83 days.

That and Kurt's troubles with the law since leaving WWE.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

FishBulb posted:

I'm pretty sure Vince told him to go to rehab or he was getting cut and Kurt said he wasn't going to rehab, so yea.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

Lone Rogue posted:

And Bob Backlund. And Jerry Lawler.

Oh wait...

New Generation didn't necessarily mean younger guys. Hart, Hennig & Hall were all 32 or 33 when that started.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

sportsgenius86 posted:

I'm pretty sure Vince told him to go to rehab or he was getting cut and Kurt said he wasn't going to rehab, so yea.

This is correct. Vince wanted him to take time off from various injuries and go to rehab. (Kurt had just suffered THREE injuries in ONE match at an ECW house show.) Kurt refused and was fired. Kurt claims he quit, and that he had talked to Dixie Carter about coming in and that is why he quit (this is one of about 100 stories he has told) but since there was never a contract tampering lawsuit I think we can throw out Kurt's side of the story.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
The more important aspect of the story is that Vince thought Kurt needed rehab, which means Kurt was REAAAaaaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAlly hosed up

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Rusty Shackelford posted:

New Generation didn't necessarily mean younger guys. Hart, Hennig & Hall were all 32 or 33 when that started.

Bob... Backlund... predates... Savage...

Oh nevermind.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

Lone Rogue posted:

Bob... Backlund... predates... Savage...

Oh nevermind.

Not to most people watching. Besides, Backlund was a fluke thing that really caught on. He had one main event match and lost the title 3 days later.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

MassRayPer posted:

since there was never a contract tampering lawsuit I think we can throw out Kurt's side of the story.

Also since Kurt's side of the story changes drat near every time he talks about it.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

tzirean posted:

Also since Kurt's side of the story changes drat near every time he talks about it.

did you know he's meeting with dana white RIGHT NOW to see about fighting randy couture??????????????????

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

dusty udder smoker posted:

did you know he's meeting with dana white RIGHT NOW to see about fighting randy couture??????????????????

Kurt Angle is going to end up on a Moosin show fighting Super Mariusz and he will be the first person to die of MMA related injuries.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I would not be surprised if Kurt ends up fighting an actual moose.

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

i love it when you call me big poppa
Did they used to legit surprise the draftees on the live RAW draft show in the past?

Paul Revere 3000
Dec 8, 2007

So like a pimp I'm pimpin'
I got a boat to eat shrimp in
Nothing wrong with my leg
I'm just B-boy limpin'

DannoMack posted:

Did they used to legit surprise the draftees on the live RAW draft show in the past?

That's what they say. I remember when Jeff Hardy got drafted to Smackdown he didn't look that thrilled about it.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

DannoMack posted:

yep. lance storm wrote a huge thing about it on his website during the 2002 draft. he asked beforehand where he was going, they told him he would have to go on the website to find out. he had to call his non-wrestling friend in canada to go look it up for him and tell him what brand he was going to be on.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Yep, there is no beforehand knowledge. I remember JR got drafted over to Smackdown and I think he went on-line and blogged about how unhappy he was and I want to say he even considered retiring. Which I thought was petty of him since he always talks about people not putting forth their best effort and not having any heart but JR gets drafted to Smackdown:

:bahgawd: This is terrible!!

Also, look how mad Taker gets when he finds out he got drafted!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9SblJ2FZdI

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

oldpainless posted:

Also, look how mad Taker gets when he finds out he got drafted!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9SblJ2FZdI

UGH I'M SO MAD!

"Keep rollin rollin rollin rollin"

heel turn
Jan 6, 2004

Some boy tried to step to me at the county fair. I said son u clearly have no ideal what creek im from
In the Brian Kendrick & Paul London shoot, they keep bringing up a bearskin rug in Titan Tower. Is there some story surrounding Vince and a bearskin rug that I've missed out on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

heel turn posted:

In the Brian Kendrick & Paul London shoot, they keep bringing up a bearskin rug in Titan Tower. Is there some story surrounding Vince and a bearskin rug that I've missed out on?

It's akin to the casting couch in Hollywood. Theres probably no real truth to it, but London and Kendrick seem convinced sexual favours will get you to the top.