Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HClChicken
Aug 15, 2005

Highly trained by the US military at expedient semen processing.

SaNChEzZ posted:

So I was going to buy an SV650 with no tach.speedo unit, so I purchased one on eBay. The bike was sold from under me, so now I have an 06 gauge cluster with 22k miles on it.

I bought it for $170 shipped, so if anyone wants it it's yours for that price. It's in excellent condition and it's the whole assembly, chrome trim, brackets and backing included.

Let me know if you want pictures or anything. There's no cracks or scratches anywhere.

Many reputable places will take it back. I know new enough will take back gear and exchange it rather than lose your business.

But my own questions:

I'm doing my 3 (2) year service. I didn't have my bike for the last year since it was in storage, so it's basically my 2 year service. Tomorrow there won't be rain so I'll be bleeding my brakes and replacing the fluid, trying to find an air filter (which nobody carries), finishing the cleaning/ chain oiling, and replacing the engine coolant.

The dealer had engine coolant for 20 bucks a quart concentrate. I think that's too expensive, but the stuff at autozone was 13 bucks. I don't know if it matters what type, so that's question one. But also autozone didn't sell DI water. I think I can just take DI water from work, but where do I find it (question 2).

Where is a good place to find an air filter for 07 model.

And where is the guide for using seafoam on your bike?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

HClChicken posted:

The dealer had engine coolant for 20 bucks a quart concentrate. I think that's too expensive, but the stuff at autozone was 13 bucks. I don't know if it matters what type, so that's question one. But also autozone didn't sell DI water. I think I can just take DI water from work, but where do I find it (question 2).

If it freeze where you are, I'd use the normal mix of coolant, otherwise I'd run straight distilled water with water wetter. I can usually find it at big grocery stores.

quote:

Where is a good place to find an air filter for 07 model.

And where is the guide for using seafoam on your bike?

I like OEM filters, personally.

As to sea foam, just add as directed to the gas tank. I wouldn't put it in the crankcase or feed it directly to the engine on a bike.

HClChicken
Aug 15, 2005

Z3n posted:

If it freeze where you are, I'd use the normal mix of coolant, otherwise I'd run straight distilled water with water wetter. I can usually find it at big grocery stores.

so the ratio of 1 qt water wetter to 1 gal of DI is recommended?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

HClChicken posted:

so the ratio of 1 qt water wetter to 1 gal of DI is recommended?

I've made that mistake before, but it's actually much lower. Look at the overall capacity of the cooling system and the instructions for mixing are on the water wetter bottle. It's something like an ounce per liter, I don't recall exactly.

HClChicken
Aug 15, 2005

http://www.oneidasuzuki.com/store/parts-accessories/air-filter-sv650-1999-2006.html

Is this the correct air filter( under 2003-2009) The detailed images look like the aftermarket, but the top image looks different.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

HClChicken posted:

http://www.oneidasuzuki.com/store/parts-accessories/air-filter-sv650-1999-2006.html

Is this the correct air filter( under 2003-2009) The detailed images look like the aftermarket, but the top image looks different.

Their site seems a little odd, but the part is the correct year range and model. I wouldn't trust the pictures unless they're direct pictures of the item itself...those all look ripped from a random microfiche.

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames

Z3n posted:

I've made that mistake before, but it's actually much lower. Look at the overall capacity of the cooling system and the instructions for mixing are on the water wetter bottle. It's something like an ounce per liter, I don't recall exactly.

The dealership's mechanics that I regularly go to says that Distilled water+water wetter is more likely to rust than distilled water+coolant. Is that true?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Jack the Smack posted:

The dealership's mechanics that I regularly go to says that Distilled water+water wetter is more likely to rust than distilled water+coolant. Is that true?

I've heard that before, but I've never noticed any weirdness in any of the cooling systems of my bikes, it's always come out clean and the passages have looked clear and clean. The other concern that people have with it is apparently it not lubricating the water pump correctly, but again, I've never had any problems/noticed any extreme wear from it.

ranathari
May 26, 2006

by elpintogrande

HClChicken posted:

If you can't find OEM then Hi-Flo air filters are equally as good for cheaper. No point pissing away money on a K&N or BMC that'll give you no performance increase for four times the price.

Also correct me if I'm wrong but didn't the airbox shape change between the 99-02 and 03-09 models?

WildWanderer
Nov 14, 2007
10 on tha Gnar-scale
Oh hey, quick question.

I've had my 2001 SV650 since December. It's been great, no problems or anything. Only one thing kind of worries me.

The fan never kicks on.

The entire time I've had the bike, I have never, ever heard the fan running. Is this something I should worry about? I live in North California, and we haven't had any hot days yet, but they are coming soon. Any advice?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

It's probably just never reached high enough temperature.

HClChicken
Aug 15, 2005

ranathari posted:

If you can't find OEM then Hi-Flo air filters are equally as good for cheaper. No point pissing away money on a K&N or BMC that'll give you no performance increase for four times the price.

Also correct me if I'm wrong but didn't the airbox shape change between the 99-02 and 03-09 models?

I'm not sure, but I can't even find out how to order the part on that site.

ranathari
May 26, 2006

by elpintogrande

HClChicken posted:

I'm not sure, but I can't even find out how to order the part on that site.

Order through resellers usually. I got mine off Wemoto for £15 when an OEM filter is £20 and K&N/BMC are £40. I have no idea what US resellers would be.

harm0nic
Feb 21, 2010

I've been dirthogging forever, and I think I'm finally going to cave and get a street bike. I'm a fairly large guy (6'0", 230lbs, 31" inseam), so I'm not really confident a 250cc will be able to jerk my heavy rear end out of a tight situation. I'll be using this bike primary for commuting to school (about 20 miles, 15 of which are freeway) so I'll need something that can flow nicely with the traffic.

I'm taking the MSF this weekend for good measure, as I'm pretty sure I've developed some pretty nasty habits over the years.

Anyway, I'm looking at picking this up: http://houston.craigslist.org/mcy/1691904324.html

Are there any issues with the older model SVs that I should be on the lookout for?

I also get the feeling the price is a little steep for a '99 with almost 60k miles.

harm0nic fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Apr 22, 2010

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

harm0nic posted:

I've been dirthogging forever, and I think I'm finally going to cave and get a street bike. I'm a fairly large guy (6'0", 230lbs, 31" inseam), so I'm not really confident a 250cc will be able to jerk my heavy rear end out of a tight situation. I'll be using this bike primary for commuting to school (about 20 miles, 15 of which are freeway) so I'll need something that can flow nicely with the traffic.

I'm taking the MSF this weekend for good measure, as I'm pretty sure I've developed some pretty nasty habits over the years.

Anyway, I'm looking at picking this up: http://houston.craigslist.org/mcy/1691904324.html

Are there any issues with the older model SVs that I should be on the lookout for?

I also get the feeling the price is a little steep for a '99 with almost 60k miles.

No major problem with older SVs. And yes, the price is a bit steep, I'd get him closer to 1500$. 2k would be ok, 1500 would be good. 2500 is too much.

WildWanderer posted:

Oh hey, quick question.

I've had my 2001 SV650 since December. It's been great, no problems or anything. Only one thing kind of worries me.

The fan never kicks on.

The entire time I've had the bike, I have never, ever heard the fan running. Is this something I should worry about? I live in North California, and we haven't had any hot days yet, but they are coming soon. Any advice?

I'd let it idle for awhile (5ish minutes after it's warmed up) and see if the fan goes on. But mine almost never went on, the cooling system is pretty overbuilt on those bikes.

ranathari posted:

Yeah, it did change between the gen 1s and the gen 2s.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

harm0nic posted:

I'm a fairly large guy (6'0", 230lbs, 31" inseam), so I'm not really confident a 250cc will be able to jerk my heavy rear end out of a tight situation. I'll be using this bike primary for commuting to school (about 20 miles, 15 of which are freeway) so I'll need something that can flow nicely with the traffic.

A 250 can do these things just fine. If you want something bigger, whatever, but don't discard the 250 from your list because you don't think it can handle 230lbs or freeway speeds. I'm 230lbs and my Ninja 250 can pull me to 100mph. My commute is 60+ miles one way, 40 of which are on a 65mph highway.

HATE TROLL TIM
Dec 14, 2006
If anyone does any carb work on their first gen, and wants to swap the lovely pot metal screws out with stainless steel hex cap head ones, here's a complete list of sizes I came up with:

-Float Chamber (x6)
M5 x .80 [12mm]

-TPS (x2)
M4 x .70 [12mm]
M4 Washer
M4 Crush Washer

-Air Cut-Off Valve (x4)
M4 x .70 [14mm]
M4 Crush Washer

-Choke Assembly (x2)
M5 x .80 [14mm]

-Funnel (x4)
M4 x .70 [12mm]

-Diaphragm Cover (x4)
Shoulder Bolt: M5 x .80 [6mm Thread] [10mm Shoulder]

It should run you about $5 at Bolt Depot.

ranathari
May 26, 2006

by elpintogrande
RiDE magazine in the UK did a multi-page overview of the SV, which someone's scanned and uploaded here. Not worth reading if you're a semi-competent SV owner because there's nothing new in it but it's not half bad for people contemplating buying an SV.

Resource
Aug 6, 2006
Yay!

ranathari posted:

RiDE magazine in the UK did a multi-page overview of the SV, which someone's scanned and uploaded here. Not worth reading if you're a semi-competent SV owner because there's nothing new in it but it's not half bad for people contemplating buying an SV.

I am thinking about buying an SV, thanks for posting this. I wish there were more used SVs in Austin, seems like it's only GXR1000s.

jdonz
Jan 4, 2004

For you guys with Intiminators, did you cut the spacer down or leave it stock?

I've heard positive reviews of both cut spacers and stock, but I'm on the fence on what I should do. I plan on using the stock spring and AMSOIL Shock Therapy #5 as per the instructions. Ricor install tips:

Ricor posted:

The Intiminators add 13.75mm of preload to the forks. For the same pre-Intiminator preload reduce the length of the fork spacer by 13.75mm.

On installation, fill the forks with fluid to just over the top of the damper rod tube, use the fork spring to push the Intiminator down on to the damper rod tube, remove the spring and top up the fluid to the correct level.

The Intiminators were developed using Amsoil fork fluid. To experience the full benefit of your Intiminators we recommend sticking to this brand. We tested the Intiminators with another leading brand 5w synthetic fork fluid, this produced damping that was more harsh than with the Amsoil. Not all 5w synthetic fork fluids are created equal.

Does anyone have any comments/thoughts or better yet, real world experience?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

How big of a guy are you? If you're over 150 pounds, I'd definitely leave the preload spacer in there.

jdonz
Jan 4, 2004

I'm in denial, 5'8" and 190lbs.

I'm starting to take off the wheel and forks now, wish me luck. I'm paranoid after reading Tsaven's post.

Edit: gently caress, I don't have an allen/hex wrench for the axle, off to the store.

jdonz fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Apr 25, 2010

HATE TROLL TIM
Dec 14, 2006
If anyone ever takes apart their carbs and wants to replace the cheap pot metal screws with stainless steel hex cap bolts, here are the sizes you need:

- Float Bowl (x6)
M5 x .80 [12mm]

- TPS (x2)
M4 x .70 [12mm]
M4 Washer
M4 Crush Washer

- TES Cover (x4)
M4 x .70 [14mm]
M4 Crush Washer

- Choke Seat Retainer (x2)
M5 x .80 [14mm]

- Venturi Funnel (x4)
M4 x .70 [12mm]

- Slide Diaphragm Cap (x4)
Shoulder Bolt: M5 x .80 [6mm Thread] [10mm Shoulder]

Bolt Depot has it all for under $5.

jdonz
Jan 4, 2004

Install went fine, no problems. I went for a quick ride just to get a feel for the intiminators. First impressions is that steering is a fair bit more sensitive but no major improvements on small bumps. I didn't get a chance to hit anything big, I'll be able to on Monday for the much longer commute to work.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

jdonz posted:

Install went fine, no problems. I went for a quick ride just to get a feel for the intiminators. First impressions is that steering is a fair bit more sensitive but no major improvements on small bumps. I didn't get a chance to hit anything big, I'll be able to on Monday for the much longer commute to work.

The real improvement the intiminators made for my sv was practically eliminating brake dive, the suspension works a whole lot better now under hard braking.

GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001
My sv650s got here yesterday. I've done about 30 laps of the car park.. can't wait for the MSF!

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Oooh I'm so excited. Bought a 2nd gen SV650S a couple hours ago. Has a full ART exhaust, custom tuned Power Commander 3, fresh oil/chain/sprockets/tires, new frame sliders and its never been dumped. I could eat off this bike. It's beautiful.

I gotta admit I'm a little intimidated by the size. Coming from a Ninja 250 this thing looks like a horse. I'm going to spend quite a few days tiptoeing around my driveway and the backroads trying to get a feel for the weight and riding position.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Yay more SV people :)

I love my bike, but I really need to take it to the shop and have it worked on.

I don't think I'll ever part ways with this bike, and I really can't see replacing it if anything happened.

jdonz
Jan 4, 2004

echomadman posted:

The real improvement the intiminators made for my sv was practically eliminating brake dive, the suspension works a whole lot better now under hard braking.

Alright, 20 more miles with the Intiminators. Brake dive is much less noticeable, I had to consciously test that as I don't often hammer on the brake. The one sweeper (about 65mph, faster riders could hit it much higher) I hit daily felt different too. I need a few more passes on that to really get a feel for it. The front didn't feel unstable, just "different", like the the suspension was much more sensitive. I could feel the undulations in the road smoothly, not jarring.

The price I paid for them (thanks Endless Mike) makes it worth it so far. I'm not sure I would spend $300 but I don't think I have enough miles on them to make that call yet.

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Going through the same "holy poo poo I am entering warp speed" stuff that I got when I first rode my Ninja. Fun as hell.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Great looking bike!

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
posted this in the what did you do to your ride thread already. few extra pics here.

ghetto fabbed brackets for the light until i can get a buddy to make fancy ones in his machine shop.
all the mess of loom and zip-tied indicators will be sorted next month when i get a veypor to replace the stock clocks

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Picked up an SV on Monday, here's some eye candy!

$3900!

Came with shorty adjustable levers, sliders, scorpion carbon can, rear seat cover, lojack, and a bunch of carbon fiber "look" decals that I've since removed. The roll call and other stickers to come off this weekend :)

Frozen Pizza Party fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Apr 28, 2010

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Looks great Shanchezz.

Echo, give us a step by step when you install the veypour. I'm curious how hard it is.

Hot Dog Day #38
May 16, 2004
I just picked up a 2003 SV650 (first bike!) and it definitely needs a new rear tire. Do you guys have any recommendations as to what should go on there?

Also, as customary, here is a pretty picture:

And a short question, is there a small storage space under the rear seat or anything? I didn't try very hard but I couldn't remember if there should or shouldn't be. Thanks!

HATE TROLL TIM
Dec 14, 2006

Hot Dog Day #38 posted:

And a short question, is there a small storage space under the rear seat or anything? I didn't try very hard but I couldn't remember if there should or shouldn't be. Thanks!

Yea, there is. There should be a lock on the rear left side of the bike to pop the rear seat off.

Hot Dog Day #38
May 16, 2004

timb posted:

Yea, there is. There should be a lock on the rear left side of the bike to pop the rear seat off.

Ah, got it. Thanks!

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

What tires are on it right now? As a general rule of thumb, you want to match tires front and rear.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Here's some updated pics of the new SV. Clay Bar'd, Polished, Glazed and Waxed it this weekend. Also removed all the ugly stickers the previous owner had put on :)

Big bonus for flake detail :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
Galfer Stainless lines came in. After going ADD and installing the left front and the rear backwards, I got everything set up and tried to bleed. Couldn't get vacuum from the mity-vac and then the sun went down.

Goddammit I just want to ride.

• Locked thread