Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

twistedmentat posted:

7The book is pretty clear on most of the weird stuff in the movie. Dave travels though a series of star gates and passes though a galactic grand central station. The Monolith evolves him as it is programed to do, and creates the star child, who proceeds to dedicative all the nukes in orbit. Or isn't that 2010?

That's 2010. The book of 2001 ends in about the same place the movie does. The book of 2010 includes the adventures of Starchild Bowman around the solar system, messing up nukes in Earth orbit and spying on the Jupiter ecosystem before it gets exploded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Man those books sound way less interesting in the movie.

Whats wrong with a little ambiguity.

Sizzlechest
May 7, 2007
You also have to keep in mind that every book retconned the previous book and the movies, too.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
It's still a lesser fall from grace than what happened to the Rama series.

poonchasta
Feb 22, 2007

FFFFAAAFFFFF FFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFFAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF
I'm watching Blade Runner Final Cut, and once again I'm confused about the scene when Deckard is analyzing the photo in that machine. At the end of the scene when he is super zoomed in and sees the girl, is he actually changing the viewing angle? If not that, then something weird with perspective is going on. Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Its crazy impossible future technology.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

poonchasta posted:

I'm watching Blade Runner Final Cut, and once again I'm confused about the scene when Deckard is analyzing the photo in that machine. At the end of the scene when he is super zoomed in and sees the girl, is he actually changing the viewing angle? If not that, then something weird with perspective is going on. Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

I once read that the idea what the camera actually took a 3d image, and there for had depth that could be read by the photoscanner machines. I guess that makes as much sense as anything.

Lao Tsu
Dec 26, 2006

OH GOD SOMEBODY MILK ME

twistedmentat posted:

7The book is pretty clear on most of the weird stuff in the movie. Dave travels though a series of star gates and passes though a galactic grand central station. The Monolith evolves him as it is programed to do, and creates the star child, who proceeds to dedicative all the nukes in orbit. Or isn't that 2010?

The other books are pretty neat, as they go into more detail about the Monoliths and why they are used.

No, you were right, the grand central station/inverted space was in 2001 and on the last page the star child deactivates nukes on the orbital station.

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.
I guess this is as good as place to ask this (unless there's a old Alfred Hitchcock megathread that I'm not seeing, in which case I would be happy if someone could point me to it). I have recently re watched Rear Window (it's fantastic), and couldn't help but wonder what was up with the "fast forwarding" of the final scenes, specifically when Jeffries is dangling from the window and the cops grab the killer. It just doesn't feel right, and looks pretty weird.
At first I thought it was just a way to convey some excitement, and that the best way the director thought to do it (with the more limited means back then) was to put that part in fast-motion. Then I realized how dumb that was, since this is loving Hitchcock we're talking about, and if he did it, he must have had a good reason for it. Just wondering if anyone has read some of his interviews or something and knows the thought process behind that decision.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Mean Bean Machine posted:

I guess this is as good as place to ask this (unless there's a old Alfred Hitchcock megathread that I'm not seeing, in which case I would be happy if someone could point me to it). I have recently re watched Rear Window (it's fantastic), and couldn't help but wonder what was up with the "fast forwarding" of the final scenes, specifically when Jeffries is dangling from the window and the cops grab the killer. It just doesn't feel right, and looks pretty weird.
At first I thought it was just a way to convey some excitement, and that the best way the director thought to do it (with the more limited means back then) was to put that part in fast-motion. Then I realized how dumb that was, since this is loving Hitchcock we're talking about, and if he did it, he must have had a good reason for it. Just wondering if anyone has read some of his interviews or something and knows the thought process behind that decision.

I noticed it after seeing it at least 3-4 times... It certainly worked to add to the frenzy of the moment. My opinion is that the speed-up was intentional to create a feeling of disorientation, along with the shot from above with Jeffries falling.

It's almost subliminal because the shots go by so quickly.

On that subject, I love the gross "crushing celery + squishing melon" sound put in as Jeffries hits the pavement, breaking his legs.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
So I'm hoping someone on here might be able to fill me in on this question but I just finished watching a movie last night called 'Otis' and for the life of me couldn't figure out if the pizza guy the kid filled with buckshot was Otis . I remember one of the characters asking if it was and then just immediately cutting to credits and it just seemed like such a poo poo, poo poo ending to an otherwise bland movie.

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

Niggurath posted:

Otis...bland movie.
What? That was one of the more entertaining horror comedies I've seen, and I usually don't like horror comedy. Daniel Stern paints that poo poo gold.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Okay, I was wondering about Zombie movies. When the zombies are eating people, what is it? I know in some they look like they real raw meat. Especially in older ones, like Night Of The Living Dead. I heard a story that in Day of The Dead, when one of the guys gets torn apart, his intestines are sausage links, but because they were bad, they smelled really bad, so when the actor got torn up, him wincing on camera is from the smell.

But I find it hard to believe that actors would be willing to chow down on raw meat for scenes. Or even allowed by unions and working standards.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Zardoz is one of the few movies I would totally support getting re-made, because it has some genuine good ideas and could make some great sci-fi.

The society in Ĉon Flux reminds me a lot of the society in Zardoz. Although Ĉon Flux doesn't touch on many of the allegories and themes as strongly and overtly as Zardoz does.

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.
Why the hell is Armageddon in the Criterion Collection?

NeuroticErotica
Sep 9, 2003

Perform sex? Uh uh, I don't think I'm up to a performance, but I'll rehearse with you...

Binowru posted:

Why the hell is Armageddon in the Criterion Collection?

Because that's them covering the Hollywood Blockbuster genre

and the money they make from it covers the losses of the other DVDs

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

twistedmentat posted:

Okay, I was wondering about Zombie movies. When the zombies are eating people, what is it? I know in some they look like they real raw meat. Especially in older ones, like Night Of The Living Dead. I heard a story that in Day of The Dead, when one of the guys gets torn apart, his intestines are sausage links, but because they were bad, they smelled really bad, so when the actor got torn up, him wincing on camera is from the smell.

But I find it hard to believe that actors would be willing to chow down on raw meat for scenes. Or even allowed by unions and working standards.

Its my understanding that they use pig organs. And the zombies eating them are crazy fans willing to eat raw pig organs for a chance to get on screen in a Romero movie.

And from IMDB:

The blood and entrails used in the disemboweling of Capt. Rhodes were real. Pig intestines and blood were procured form a nearby slaughterhouse and used to make the scene. During filming the refrigerator housing intestines and blood was unplugged by custodial staff, and the entrails started to spoil causing most of those involved to become physically sick.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Rake Arms posted:

I often find myself defending Tarantino when people say "He just copies other artists." Fist, he openly acknowledges the filmmakers he borrows from, and second can you really say that Kill Bill is exactly like *insert movie here*? Sure, you can note the similarities to Lady Snowblood or Death Rides a horse, but can you really say that there are any movies out there that achieve the same style as Kill Bill? How about Inglourious Basterds? No, because the key to his style is that it's reflexive. Like a Warhol painting, a Tarantino film takes this and that from pop culture and puts a new spin on it to get you thinking about it in a different way.

I think my problem with Tarantino is that he knows all this poo poo but hasn't internalized his influences. I feel like the reason he gets away with it is because whatever he's referencing, you probably haven't heard of it or seen it before.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

I still maintain Armageddon is far from the worst movie in the Criterion Collection.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

penismightier posted:

I still maintain Armageddon is far from the worst movie in the Criterion Collection.

It is bad in a good way though. It is the type of movie I could put on in the background while doing some work and never feel like I am missing much of anything when I turn around every 10 minutes and watch for five minutes.

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.

Judakel posted:

It is bad in a good way though. It is the type of movie I could put on in the background while doing some work and never feel like I am missing much of anything when I turn around every 10 minutes and watch for five minutes.

But is that really the kind of movie that belongs in the Criterion Collection?

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

Judakel posted:

I felt the same thing about White Dog. Huh.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

I watched Kick-rear end last night, and it got me thinking; how often do films use pieces of music from another film's score? I'm sure it must happen a decent amount, but I'm drawing a complete blank.

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

Akuma posted:

I watched Kick-rear end last night, and it got me thinking; how often do films use pieces of music from another film's score? I'm sure it must happen a decent amount, but I'm drawing a complete blank.
One of the Scream sequels recycled the Broken Arrow score, but the tracks were all renamed to Scream-appropriate titles.

However, I'm pretty sure it's more common in trailers, like how The Imperial March found its way into the trailer for It's Complicated :wtc:

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Akuma posted:

Every Tarantino film with a score.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Binowru posted:

But is that really the kind of movie that belongs in the Criterion Collection?

Why not? The action blockbuster is a perfectly valid subset of cinema.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

SubG posted:

Doesn't count! Too obvious!

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

FitFortDanga posted:

Armageddon is still a pretty piss-poor example of the action blockbuster. I know I'm beating a dead horse, but what about a Criterion version of Minority Report? That's a sterling example of the action blockbuster.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

FitFortDanga posted:

Alright, so why isn't Mad Max 2 a Criterion film? Or, as long as we're naming bad films, why is Armageddon Criterion but not ID4? It's a pretty good question that I don't think has ever been explained adequately.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

I imagine that a lot of it has to do with what they could get the rights for.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

bad movie knight posted:

Armageddon is still a pretty piss-poor example of the action blockbuster. I know I'm beating a dead horse, but what about a Criterion version of Minority Report? That's a sterling example of the action blockbuster.

That definitely seems way more appropriate than Armageddon.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Parachute posted:

That definitely seems way more appropriate than Armageddon.

1) There was an Armageddon Criterion before Minority Report was even in theaters.

2) I doubt Criterion could get the rights to a Spielberg movie (although they did get Close Encounters on laserdisc)

Anyway, if we're talking about a film to represent the typical blockbuster -- lots of big stars, big explosions, cheesy rock soundtrack, "turn your brain off" fun -- Armageddon is a better fit.

FitFortDanga fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Apr 26, 2010

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

FitFortDanga posted:

1) There was an Armageddon Criterion before Minority Report was even in theaters.

2) I doubt Criterion could get the rights to a Spielberg movie (although they did get Close Encounters on laserdisc)
My point being it seems kinda backward that The Rock and Armageddon were the only two blockbusters for which they could get rights. I agree that Hollywood blockbusters are important -- hell, they're a driving force in world cinema and some of the most frequently exported -- but there have been enough since Jaws that surely Criterion could've coughed up something better than Armageddon.

The Rock is a really good example of the genre though. Much love to The Rock.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Action blockbusters come and go these days, though, there's very few modern titles with lasting power.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Akuma posted:

Doesn't count! Too obvious!
Richard Band's score for Re-Animator (1985) is a complete ripoff of Herrmann's score for Psycho (1960). Does that count?

Or how about when a composer quotes his own music, like Jerry Goldsmith using part of his score from Patton (1970) as the theme for Bruce Dern's character in The 'Burbs (1989)?

NGL
Jan 15, 2003
AssKing

Akuma posted:

They're a bit older, but Night of the Living Dead and Teenagers from Outer Space use the same score.

Rake Arms
Sep 15, 2007

It's just not the same without widescreen.

SubG posted:

In fact, the only original score in any Tarantino movie is a handful of short pieces by Robert Rodriguez and RZA in Kill Bill.

Though I have to say, Tarantino is a genius at recycling scores, especially Morricone. It's like all the music from Death Rides a Horse and Navajo Joe were just waiting for Kill Bill to be made.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Rake Arms posted:

Though I have to say, Tarantino is a genius at recycling scores, especially Morricone. It's like all the music from Death Rides a Horse and Navajo Joe were just waiting for Kill Bill to be made.
Eh, I find it tremendously distracting, particularly because he tends to gravitate toward very distinctive bits of very distinctive scores. There's no way I can hear a Morricone score without being reminded of the scenes it was first used in, and that's more or less the best outcome. In the big reveal in the restaurant in Inglourious Basterds (2009), instead of punctuating the `oh poo poo' moment I was instead taken out of the picture for a minute or two while I tried to place the musical cue (the `you gone git raped' music from The Entity (1981)).

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

bad movie knight posted:

I felt the same thing about White Dog. Huh.

White Dog was such a better movie before I saw it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

FishBulb posted:

White Dog was such a better movie before I saw it.
It's not a bad movie, but aside from its controversy, I can't think of a single reason why Criterion would include it.