Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unmistakeable Fire
Oct 1, 2006

LashLightning posted:

I hope I can gather the willpower to read this series again from the beginning. It's not that I don't like it, just that there's so much. It's like how I can't ever get around to re-reading the "Song of Ice And Fire" series again, despite there being more than enough time 'til the next instalment.

Anyway, if one were to believe that the Behelit's are only guided to people by fate, could it be possible that it's part of the Skull Knight's fate/Destiny to help defeat the God Hand?

At the very least Skull Knight is going to try to destroy Void, since it is impled that SK is to Void what Guts is to Griffith. I imagine he will die in the attempt because that is just this kind of series.

Also as a fellow ASOIAF fan I would heartily encourage you to put off rereading it and Berserk for as long as possible. Both are incredible enough that I reread regularly, then I go insane waiting for the cruel creator to make more, and am driven to enough despair that had I a behelit I would sacrifice everyone around me for quicker releases.

Why not go outside, have a life, talk to a female or at the very least go read Vagabond which seems to be the Skullknight.Net approved alternative to Berserk, so that you can stay a happy person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Unmistakeable Fire posted:

At the very least Skull Knight is going to try to destroy Void, since it is impled that SK is to Void what Guts is to Griffith. I imagine he will die in the attempt because that is just this kind of series.

He may already be dead. He had three options available to him. 1) Use the sword to create a rift and escape. 2) Get blasted and enter the world as an astral being like everyone else. 3) Get killed by Zodd and Femto.

We can't be sure if he actually can return if he did option 1. Also we don't know if he'd survive option two either.

nondeviant
Mar 14, 2005

Life's not fair, but at least it has a sense of humor.

Also as a fellow ASOIAF fan I would heartily encourage you to put off rereading it and Berserk for as long as possible. Both are incredible enough that I reread regularly, then I go insane waiting for the cruel creator to make more, and am driven to enough despair that had I a behelit I would sacrifice everyone around me for quicker releases.

Obviously what we need is someone to write up another 40k crossover where the Grey Knights and accompanying Inquisitors enter the scene to put down the planetary incursion by Chaos. Considering that everyone in the main cast apart from Farnese is either a heretic utilizing forbidden technology, a warp spawn, or already tainted by the ruinous powers, I imagine it would be a suitably dark ending for the series. :v:

On an unrelated note, I can't get past the idea that Zod is still going to be (or should be) utilized as some sort of wildcard in the story's end game. Simply having him as set up as a miniboss for Guts to go through before reaching Griffith would be disappointingly wasteful, while a repeat of the Guts/Zod team-up from the previous battle would be extremely hokey if done improperly. I always got the impression that Zod's presence was similar to Griffith keeping a caged beast around, knowing that he was in full control only due to the huge disparity between their respective powers and abilities. I realize it's the gooniest of fanboy wishing, but part of me is wondering and hoping if we'll ever see that power balance tipped somehow resulting in at least one encounter that's reminiscent of a Mexican standoff between Guts, Griffith and Zod.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Are the ASOIAF books worth reading despite everyone saying they've jumped the shark?

I picked most of them up used a little while ago, but then I read many, many "JUMPED THE SHARK" comments and let the dust collect instead.

Unmistakeable Fire
Oct 1, 2006

Andrigaar posted:

Are the ASOIAF books worth reading despite everyone saying they've jumped the shark?

I picked most of them up used a little while ago, but then I read many, many "JUMPED THE SHARK" comments and let the dust collect instead.

The first 3 are absolutely incredible, really gritty, very well written, with great character development and plot twists, and really shocking character deaths. If you like the way that Legend of the Galactic Heroes fleshes out the opposing sides of a conflict these books do the same but with maybe a 10 sided conflict. These 3 are the reason that it is so well known amongst fantasy nerds and goons. But then after the third book he had plans for a timeskip, and seemed to write himself into a corner.

To resolve this he took half of the huge cast and shunted it to the 5th book. The resultant 4th book isnt bad by any means, it is just very anticlimactic after the 5 year wait for it, and could have used some judicious editing and skipped the need for splitting the cast. The reason that people have become so bitter is that he doesn't seem to have very much invested in the process anymore, and his normal blogging about his hobbies like pizza and football, as well as his other writing projects where he edits a shared universe and does some fantasy compilations, are all seen as mockery of his fanbase since the book is abou 6 years in the making.

It's like how people take Muira's idolmaster playing as a slap in the face because he has slowed Berserk down to a snail's pace. Berserk certainly hasn't jumped the shark. People are basically freaked out that he might die before finishing the series. In summation they are certainly worth reading, just not right now. If you would like to read them at least wait until the next book comes out so that you don't go crazy.

Also stay the gently caress out of the Book Barn they will troll you with some BRUTAL spoilers. If you would like to join in on the insanity catch up on the 4 books then head over there to talk about Warhammer, lemoncakes and rape. If you would just like a little taste of the series to get an idea of it, try to check out the Hedge Knight and Sword Sword short story prequels, with another short story continuation coming out this month called The Warrior's Apprentice. They are all well written and if you like them you might like the series. Or wait a year for the HBO adaptation that just got greenlit.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

The first 3 are absolutely incredible, really gritty, very well written, with great character development and plot twists, and really shocking character deaths. If you like the way that Legend of the Galactic Heroes fleshes out the opposing sides of a conflict these books do the same but with maybe a 10 sided conflict. These 3 are the reason that it is so well known amongst fantasy nerds and goons. But then after the third book he had plans for a timeskip, and seemed to write himself into a corner.

To resolve this he took half of the huge cast and shunted it to the 5th book. The resultant 4th book isnt bad by any means, it is just very anticlimactic after the 5 year wait for it, and could have used some judicious editing and skipped the need for splitting the cast. The reason that people have become so bitter is that he doesn't seem to have very much invested in the process anymore, and his normal blogging about his hobbies like pizza and football, as well as his other writing projects where he edits a shared universe and does some fantasy compilations, are all seen as mockery of his fanbase since the book is abou 6 years in the making.

It's like how people take Muira's idolmaster playing as a slap in the face because he has slowed Berserk down to a snail's pace. Berserk certainly hasn't jumped the shark. People are basically freaked out that he might die before finishing the series. In summation they are certainly worth reading, just not right now. If you would like to read them at least wait until the next book comes out so that you don't go crazy.

Also stay the gently caress out of the Book Barn they will troll you with some BRUTAL spoilers. If you would like to join in on the insanity catch up on the 4 books then head over there to talk about Warhammer, lemoncakes and rape. If you would just like a little taste of the series to get an idea of it, try to check out the Hedge Knight and Sword Sword short story prequels, with another short story continuation coming out this month called The Warrior's Apprentice. They are all well written and if you like them you might like the series. Or wait a year for the HBO adaptation that just got greenlit.

As good as the TV series will probably be, I haven't read any fantasy in a long while. Just sci-fi and some random literature.

I'll think I'll try and read the first book in a bit after I figure out what book I need to finish now. Oh, and maybe after I start re-reading Berserk. Having read it over the course of 8-10 years, I really don't recall much of anything, and all this speculation has been pointing to story elements I've almost entirely forgotten about.

Digital Scumbag
Feb 11, 2010
I just want to thank everyone for this thread.

My first brush with Berserk was the Dreamcast game, which I loved despite it's flaws. Some time later I played Valkyrie Profile, and Arngrim is a clear homage to Guts.

Some time later I saw a few episodes of the anime through Blockbuster, and really, the only thing that was stopping me from reading Berserk was money.

Currently on Volume 4 and I'm loving it.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

nondeviant posted:

On an unrelated note, I can't get past the idea that Zod is still going to be (or should be) utilized as some sort of wildcard in the story's end game. Simply having him as set up as a miniboss for Guts to go through before reaching Griffith would be disappointingly wasteful, while a repeat of the Guts/Zod team-up from the previous battle would be extremely hokey if done improperly. I always got the impression that Zod's presence was similar to Griffith keeping a caged beast around, knowing that he was in full control only due to the huge disparity between their respective powers and abilities. I realize it's the gooniest of fanboy wishing, but part of me is wondering and hoping if we'll ever see that power balance tipped somehow resulting in at least one encounter that's reminiscent of a Mexican standoff between Guts, Griffith and Zod.

Zodd is there to reprise Guts role in the Band of the Hawk. Zodd's missing horn is a reflection of Guts' missing eye. Wandering warrior that roams from battlefield to battlefield until Griffith defeats him in a duel then makes him a leader of his organization. Sound Familiar? Flora and The Skull Knight seem to think fate is cyclical so perhaps we will see Griffith and Zodd fall out at some later point.

Unmistakeable Fire
Oct 1, 2006
Why did you bump this thread you horrible monsters there will never be another Berserk chapter!!!!!!!!!

Also I saw this OVA called Blood Reign and it had a lot of similarities to Berserk, should I talk about it now or wait til another chapter is released so we don't keep bumping in futility?

Unmistakeable Fire fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Apr 19, 2010

Digital Scumbag
Feb 11, 2010
I'd like to hear about the OVA if you'd write up a little bit about it. I'm currently looking into watching something as I get a shitload of stuff to read on my plate at the moment.

Metal Meltdown
Mar 27, 2010

Son of a.... You drat teases. Ah well, suppose I'll catch up on Claymore.

Son of Emhak
Sep 11, 2005

We say there's no parting for us, if our hearts are conveyed to each other.

YouTuber posted:

Zodd is there to reprise Guts role in the Band of the Hawk. Zodd's missing horn is a reflection of Guts' missing eye. Wandering warrior that roams from battlefield to battlefield until Griffith defeats him in a duel then makes him a leader of his organization. Sound Familiar? Flora and The Skull Knight seem to think fate is cyclical so perhaps we will see Griffith and Zodd fall out at some later point.

This is pretty cool for all that I've read into Berserk I never saw the parallel here until you mentioned it. One of the major differences between Zodd and Guts is their desire, Guts just swings his sword to make a living, Zodd desires the strong, so who else would be the strongest other than one who is predetermined by fate to be undefeatable? This always wrapped up Zodd's affinity for Griffith rather nicely for me, but the way you put it shines a different light on it.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
Would anyone mind linking me to an online reader? The ones in the initial pages are broken and I'd like to start on this

Unmistakeable Fire
Oct 1, 2006

tbp posted:

Would anyone mind linking me to an online reader? The ones in the initial pages are broken and I'd like to start on this

http://www.darkhorse.com/Books/12-705/Berserk-Volume-1-TPB

Dark Horse comics has helpfully licensed this series so that you can pay them your hard earned money to enjoy it!

Also I was able to purchase Berserk 1-13 for 30 bucks and another 5 random volumes for 3 bucks each. Who needs scans when you have an eye for deals :smug:

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
Plus for every volume of berserk on your shelf, you're allowed three volumes of any terrible shonen manga without your coolness being compromised.

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.
Is there any word when Miura is coming back? He seems to get everyone's hopes up by saying he is going to do the manga for a while then loses interest.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:

http://www.darkhorse.com/Books/12-705/Berserk-Volume-1-TPB

Dark Horse comics has helpfully licensed this series so that you can pay them your hard earned money to enjoy it!

Also I was able to purchase Berserk 1-13 for 30 bucks and another 5 random volumes for 3 bucks each. Who needs scans when you have an eye for deals :smug:

Where did you get them for 3 bucks a piece? I found a random japanese bookstore in a japanese supermarket that has them for ~7 bucks.

Unmistakeable Fire
Oct 1, 2006

GoldenNugget posted:

Where did you get them for 3 bucks a piece? I found a random japanese bookstore in a japanese supermarket that has them for ~7 bucks.

Local comic shop that was closing out its manga section and some guy on craigslist who had a shoebox of 1-13. I'd periodically check craigslist for anime stuff (most was crap) but this guy had some, and there was one other dude who had a massive collection of Art of War miniatures from Berserk that he was selling off. They were gorgeous but incredibly expensive. Strangely enough I have gotten more use out of the shoebox since it has helped me carry and organize many different things while the volumes sit on my bookshelf unread because I don't want to get back into reading a series that will never be finished!

Also here is the trailer for the Blood Reign OVA that I was talking about earlier. This is probably one of the most captivating trailers I have ever seen, mostly due to the song which is loving haunting and incredible.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kr_tqkUUPs4

I'll post about it once I can find where I put it and throw up some comparison screenshots.

Digital Scumbag
Feb 11, 2010
He cut that ninja, who fell down... then exploded. With fire and smoke. Not gore.

The music is incredihaunting. I'll have to see this one.

Unmistakeable Fire
Oct 1, 2006

Digital Scumbag posted:

He cut that ninja, who fell down... then exploded. With fire and smoke. Not gore.

The music is incredihaunting. I'll have to see this one.

Don't worry children, that ninja was merely sent to another dimension! I randomly came upon that trailer in one of the disks of the Kenshin prequel OVA (which you all should watch). I am surprised that they didn't ruin it with narration or music, but even crummy marketing types can't resist that good of a song.

Digital Scumbag
Feb 11, 2010
I can recall a few trailers for anime back in the day that just used a simple staccato Japanese song with no other sounds. There was blood and stuff, but one of the ninjas simply... well, exploded into fire and smoke after he fell down.
All the demons look suitably grotesque fitting for an 80's anime. I love it.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Why wasn't he wearing pants?

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
Oh, yeah, Blood Reign. I've seen that one. It wasn't bad; not great (it's far from even the anime version of berserk to loosely connect to the thread), but it didn't make me want to stab out my eyes and ears. It's just a simple tale about a ninja fighting youma and shibito and other nasty things back in the day, and since its an eighties anime, it doesn't go much beyond that.

Lord I remember how those old trailers would use only music; I loved that. It was far more compelling and authentic to me than than simply talking over stuff.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

resurgam40 posted:

Lord I remember how those old trailers would use only music; I loved that. It was far more compelling and authentic to me than than simply talking over stuff.

"in a world... in ancient times... a single man will..."

Also: gently caress you guys for bumping this thread and giving me hope.

Digital Scumbag
Feb 11, 2010

Not to get anyone's hopes up, but, uh...

Maybe more of the anime is coming?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
No. Those pictures are almost a year old and nothing ever came of them.

Unmistakeable Fire
Oct 1, 2006
My dream Berserk project would be them doing a movie of the beginning up until the flashback then launch a Hellsing Ultimate style adaptation of all the material after that. In this fantasy world Muira has just released 30 more volumes that conclude the series then announced that he is going to be illustrating the followup to George RR Martin's project after A Song of Ice and Fire is completed.

In reality we are screwed.

Unmistakeable Fire fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Apr 26, 2010

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Also they would release a series of Devil May Cry-quality action games with super-advanced dismemberment and demon blood physics.

EDIT: Also you would totally be able to combo the arm cannonball into a 360-degree sword swing.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Did we ever get any confirmation what those drat pictures were from anyway? They seem to be running on some kind of projection, which is more than I would expect from your typical "LOL HAY GAIZ HERE'S WUT IT WUD LOOK LIEK" poo poo, but to the fact that we haven't heard anything...doesn't bode well.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

OnimaruXLR posted:

Did we ever get any confirmation what those drat pictures were from anyway? They seem to be running on some kind of projection, which is more than I would expect from your typical "LOL HAY GAIZ HERE'S WUT IT WUD LOOK LIEK" poo poo, but to the fact that we haven't heard anything...doesn't bode well.

It was from a game or something I think.

hog wizard
Feb 16, 2005

by angerbeet
What loving cocktease... I was really excited for a new series release.

Cowboy
Nov 7, 2004

it was ok until she started peeing on me

hog wizard posted:

What loving cocktease... I was really excited for a new series release.

First rule of reading Berserk, never get excited about any news regarding Berserk. It's probably a lie or it'll take 15 years until we actually see whatever it is.

Digital Scumbag
Feb 11, 2010
Well...
You guys played the Berserk! RogueLike yet? It's pretty fun. Get your cannon, knives, crossbow. Stab Bulldemons.

Jimmybob
Mar 7, 2005
So...the last chapter was released in February? God drat Miura, draw something, he could make them stick figures at this point, just as long as it advances the story I'll be happy.

Metal Meltdown
Mar 27, 2010

False hope!:argh:

It's terribly depressing to realize that the chart that was posted earlier showing the gradual decline in weekly chapters seems to be accurate again for this year. But hey, we're only halfway through the year. Right? Right?:ohdear:

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

Metal Meltdown posted:

False hope!:argh:

It's terribly depressing to realize that the chart that was posted earlier showing the gradual decline in weekly chapters seems to be accurate again for this year. But hey, we're only halfway through the year. Right? Right?:ohdear:

He said we're at last 2/3rds through the entire story right? I mean that indicates 12-18 volumes left. He should be done with this by 2025.

Alright. Nobody die before 2028. We'll give him a few extra of leeway for the DS3D and his beloved touching-girls-dating-sims to blow his mind and pants off.

:smithicide:

Revdomezehis
Jul 26, 2003
OMG a Moose!
At the rate he's going I can learn to draw and then take his notes and complete this story before Miura will.

drat you Idolmaster. :argh:

Unmistakeable Fire
Oct 1, 2006
At least ASOIAF fans have a TV show to look forward to, all Berserk fans can do is look backwards :smith:

Revdomezehis
Jul 26, 2003
OMG a Moose!

At least ASOIAF fans have a TV show to look forward to, all Berserk fans can do is look backwards :smith:

Everytime I hear about a new chapter being released I always manage to re-read all of Berserk before the chapter after that one is released. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RipVTide
Jul 28, 2002

Run you jerk with an EYE FOR QUALITY you! Run!
Nap Ghost
Jesus christ that was amazing when Ok let's rack the new post count up in this bitch, sharing the pain makes it more tolerable!