Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stump Truck
Nov 26, 2007
Why? Yes

Dr Snofeld posted:

I'm in the last area of TNM now. I'm going for the secret ending this time, I should be right on track for it.

My favourite thing about TNM? Some of the new weapons, particularly the Twin Pistols and the EMP Pistol. Those two alone make reaching Master skill with pistols desirable. I could do without the sporks, though.

Oh and they removed the Swimming skill and replaced it with Weapon: Fists. Yes there's a hand-to-hand skill in this game, complete with special added-effect gloves for each skill level (which handily don't take up inventory space). Though I've never gotten the hang of knocking guys out bare-handed.

You pretty much have to be behind them, then your hands reposition to do a judo-chop to the neck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

I just used the stun gloves and punched them unconscious.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Peven Stan posted:

The bloom is making my eyes water.

That's why JC wears sunglasses.

fake edit: my vision is augmented

real edit: jesus, did they turn bloom up to exploding sun levels for project 2027? Every screenshot is like that!

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Xander77 posted:

I just used the stun gloves and punched them unconscious.

Yeah but they need Master skill level, presumably cos they were too OP to be available at Trained. Not that it matters too much, I have a Dragon Tooth Sword.

EDIT: Oh hey (TNM secret ending spoiler), the Narcissus ending unlocks bullet time.

Dr Snofeld fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Apr 26, 2010

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

I almost poo poo my pants the first time I played the scene where JC wakes up in the cell in UNATCO HQ. I was like "What do you mean I have none of my precious weapons and tools I spent 20 hours collecting?". That part of the game is awesome, though. Who would have known?

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

tadashi posted:

I almost poo poo my pants the first time I played the scene where JC wakes up in the cell in UNATCO HQ. I was like "What do you mean I have none of my precious weapons and tools I spent 20 hours collecting?". That part of the game is awesome, though. Who would have known?
When you-know-who chimes in on your infolink it was like a minor version of System Shock 2's big reveal (minus about 140bpm).

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

The idea of realistic Counter-Strike style weapons in 2027 doesn't do much for me. Part of the challenge and charm in DX was that especially early on all your weapons were pretty limited and you didn't have much hope to play it like a deathmatch. Not terribly sensible that the elite anti-terrorist agency couldn't arm and train you a little better, but hey

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!
Just installed BioMod. Anyone know if I have to restart? The number of times I've played through the first few UNATCO missions/ Liberty Island (5 times in the last two weeks due to Shifter/ HDTP/ me being an idiot) and I can't face sneaking around Liberty Island again :(

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

"ghost" to the top of the statue and back?

You can do the whole thing in less than 10 minutes if you don't search every nook and crany.

Valhalska
May 3, 2007

Please do not be alarmed, we are about to engage...
The Nozzle.

The Supreme Court posted:

Just installed BioMod. Anyone know if I have to restart? The number of times I've played through the first few UNATCO missions/ Liberty Island (5 times in the last two weeks due to Shifter/ HDTP/ me being an idiot) and I can't face sneaking around Liberty Island again :(

No you should be fine. I installed it after I did Liberty Island and I have no problems.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Oolarg posted:

No you should be fine. I installed it after I did Liberty Island and I have no problems.

Cheers! I really couldn't face playing through it again.

Xander77 posted:

You can do the whole thing in less than 10 minutes if you don't search every nook and crany.
But.... but that would be wrong :tinfoil:

I think I'm physically incapable of not exploring every bit of every Deus Ex level.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

The Supreme Court posted:

I don't think I'm physically capable of not exploring every bit of every Deus Ex level.

We should start a support group.

Daktar
Aug 19, 2008

I done turned 'er head into a slug an' now she's a-stucked!
I think Tonnochi Road may be one of the finest levels for vertical exploration ever designed. There's so many options, particularly if you have the speed aug at a decent lavel. Just now I went up to the floor under renovation in Queens Tower and shot out the door that provides access to Maggie Chow's elevator shaft. I climbed down and used the elevator override keypad to ride to the roof. I smashed my way through the skylight and landed in front of Maggie in a hail of glass. I put a single pistol bullet right between her eyes, then did the same to her maid. Most stylish assassination ever.

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice
Yeah, if you're an obsessive must-find-everything gamer at all, Deus Ex is both maddening and rewarding with its many different paths. Someone who cannot leave a door or drawer unopened is going to do some back tracking and quickloading.

tadashi posted:

Not to take anything away from Deus Ex but Half-Life did it first. Of course, the weapons aren't modded so they're not as precious I suppose. It's for another thread but HL really did break ground for game design elements and story and to me is just as good a game as this.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Daktar posted:

I think Tonnochi Road may be one of the finest levels for vertical exploration ever designed. There's so many options, particularly if you have the speed aug at a decent lavel. Just now I went up to the floor under renovation in Queens Tower and shot out the door that provides access to Maggie Chow's elevator shaft. I climbed down and used the elevator override keypad to ride to the roof. I smashed my way through the skylight and landed in front of Maggie in a hail of glass. I put a single pistol bullet right between her eyes, then did the same to her maid. Most stylish assassination ever.

You can... get on the roof? :psypop:

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Xander77 posted:

This still takes like 2-3 minutes actually, the Liberty Island map is so large. It also makes something like this:

Click here for the full 1024x768 image.

take an entire hour.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Sten Freak posted:

Yeah, if you're an obsessive must-find-everything gamer at all, Deus Ex is both maddening and rewarding with its many different paths. Someone who cannot leave a door or drawer unopened is going to do some back tracking and quickloading.

The UNATCO agents monitoring you over would go a little nuts at the way I play this game:

quote:

"Okay, he's got to the front door, disabled the security and got the login in record time. Mission accomplished!
...wait, why's he off to the docks?
Now he's sneaking around the back of the statue and stacking crates
Okay, we're back on track! He's taken out all of the agents on the top floors.
...and he's gone back downstairs.
What is with this guy and vents?
STOP DRINKING FROM THE FOUNTAIN, JC, AND GO GET THE GODDAMN COMMANDER"

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Sten Freak posted:

Not to take anything away from Deus Ex but Half-Life did it first. Of course, the weapons aren't modded so they're not as precious I suppose. It's for another thread but HL really did break ground for game design elements and story and to me is just as good a game as this.
I'm 99% certain that Half-Life didn't do it "first".

The only thing that comes to mind right now is King's Quest 4, but I'm sure someone will come up with a better example.

If that matters.

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

If we're talking FPS and plot-related weapon stripping (and not just a level restart) than you get your stuff taken from you in Duke Nukem 3D.

But I'd say out of all of the games mentioned Deus Ex definitly takes the cake for the 'oh poo poo I'm so loving vulnerible without my stuff' feeling

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

KillHour posted:

It's a great level for vertical exploration! I can think of at least three paths to the roof of the Tonnochi Road apartment building: there's a door leading up there from connects it from the hidden part of Maggie's penthouse, one of the elevator shafts leads up there (you need to get on top of one of the elevators, I think), and you also can climb there from Jock's apartment building.

The Pebbler
Nov 22, 2006

by T. Finn
You get your poo poo taken in Dark Forces and then you have to fight 2 rear end in a top hat lizards with only fists.

Daktar
Aug 19, 2008

KillHour posted:

Yep, and from there pretty much any of the upper levels of Tonnochi Road. There's a couple of ways. First is the way I did it this time, go up to the floor under renovation in Queens's Tower (I assume everyone knows about this, but if not check the residential directory in the lobby. Code is 3444). Shoot out the doors to the other elevator shaft. Climb down and on top of the elevator car you'll find a keypad. I think the code is 0761, if not, look around the renovated floor for a datapad. Punch it in and you'll ride on top of the lift all the way up to the roof.

Your second optionis to hack the security computer in the lobby. One of the cameras on there guards a gate in a small courtyard behind the tower. Disable it and open the gate. Now go out into the courtyard and through the gate. This grants you access to the lift shafts, find the keypad and put the code in. Same deal as before.

Finally, you can simply walk up the stairs in the hidden base in Maggie's apartment. Though presumably if you're going this way Maggie's already dead or has fled the scene, so rooftop access isn't as important. There's also a staircase down to the renovated floor. You can get into the hidden base without ever bothering Maggie this way, though the laser security grids can be a bit bothersome to get by. Handy if you're doing a highly stealthy run though.

Edit: Other cool Tonnochi Road stuff. There's a ledge outside Jock's apartment that you can jump to. There you'll find a sniper rifle and some ammo. Jock has an email on his computer telling him to wait for orders to assassinate Maggie. He's not just your friendly neighbourhood helicopter pilot, it seems. Also, there's a billboard, the maintenance walkway of which has a lockpick, a biocell and a beer sitting on it. I reckon Paul must have been there. Finally, you can see Tonnochi Road from the Versalife office complex. You can even see the people you meet moving around down there.

Daktar fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Apr 26, 2010

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Sten Freak posted:

Taking away the player's weapons midgame is the pretty much at the top of my "list of design elements that make me want to murder the developers." It's a loving terrible idea and in 90% of the games where it happens it's because the devs couldn't be bothered to give you 9-10 weapons spread out over most of the game, so they give you the five that are in in the first half an hour and take them away from you over and over again. Crysis, I'm looking at you. :argh:

Deus Ex at least did it right (it's a stealth section with the goal being to get your gear back), and HL1 wasn't too terrible in the way it does it because you get everything back quite soon after that part.

e;

Daktar posted:

You can get into the hidden base without ever bothering Maggie this way, though the laser security grids can be a bit bothersome to get by.

Doesn't an EMP blast fry the laser grids? I thought it did.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Apr 26, 2010

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

It's a great level for vertical exploration! I can think of at least three paths to the roof of the Tonnochi Road apartment building: there's a door leading up there from connects it from the hidden part of Maggie's penthouse, one of the elevator shafts leads up there (you need to get on top of one of the elevators, I think), and you also can climb there from Jock's apartment building.

Or you can do it like the cool kids and just scale the walls with LAMs.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Ansob. posted:

Taking away the player's weapons midgame is the pretty much at the top of my "list of design elements that make me want to murder the developers." It's a loving terrible idea and in 90% of the games where it happens it's because the devs couldn't be bothered to give you 9-10 weapons spread out over most of the game, so they give you the five that are in in the first half an hour and take them away from you over and over again. Crysis, I'm looking at you. :argh:

Alternately, games that do it but give you everything back not a minute later. Like in Dragon Age with the prison breakout or in Fallout 3 when you get abducted on Mothership Zeta. Although, I thought The Pitt did a good job of giving you plenty of time to play with your new toys before getting your old equipment back.

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

Spoilerific questions:
Don't you find out that Simmons (and therefore, UNATCO) are bad guys right from the start? If you do the training mission, Simmons congratulates you - and then the opening cinematic to the game shows Simmons yammering about releasing the Grey Death, etc etc. Were those supposed to be different people? They probably were different people, BUT:
When you first come across the MJ12 in the sewers in Hell's Kitchen, one of the emails to the MJ12 director's computer is from WS - not too hard to realize that's Walter Simmons. You find out in the MJ12 section that the Grey Death was being released to the public on purpose.

Am I confusing a couple things? I played through this once ages ago, and now I'm playing it again, so I might be mashing a couple memories together or something.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

The Pebbler posted:

You get your poo poo taken in Dark Forces and then you have to fight 2 rear end in a top hat lizards with only fists.

Oh god I was about to post this. Dark Forces was so goddamn good.

Also ChronoTrigger (not an FPS, but whatever) did it back in 1994 or 95 too, when you get captured in 12,000 BC. But you could just have Ayla in your party and she could still PUNCH THE poo poo out of things.

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

Ansob. posted:

Deus Ex at least did it right (it's a stealth section with the goal being to get your gear back), and HL1 wasn't too terrible in the way it does it because you get everything back quite soon after that part.

Halflife 2 did it the best, you didn't lose your weapons until the very last stages of the game and what you got in return was infinitely better.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

stratdax posted:

Spoilerific questions:
I'm not going to use spoiler tags because it's a ten year old game and we need some sort of standards. Anyways, knowing that Walton Simons and Bob Page are bad guys is not really some sort of shock reveal since, yeah, they're the two people talking in the opening cinematic. Also there's a third person that walks by in the beginning of the cinematic who IS supposed to be a surprise villain kinda, but you can know in advance if you pay close attention.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing
Things I learned playing Deus Ex today:

1) You can walk through laser grids without setting them off with thermoptic camo. Strangely, the cloak aug doesn't duplicate this. Must try with radar dampening.

2) You can climb up wall of the elevator shaft to Maggie Chow's apartment. It takes longer than just using the elevator, but there's a scramble grenade in an alcove near the top.

3) MiBs don't turn to look at noises made by throwing items. Just makes them that much harder to get behind.

4) The mini-crossbow doesn't fire directly on target. When shooting with the scope and 100% accuracy, the dart begins its flight down and to the left of the crosshairs.

5) After you meet Smuggler, his security 'bot is no longer hostile to you, so you can stroll right through those lasers. (for bonus fun, do this with Shifter installed)

6) MJ12 commandos will be-- by far-- your biggest threats in non-lethal playthroughs.

7) Throwing knives make excellent distractions.

8) Maggie Chow refers to Paul as "dark and serious". The Deus Ex Bible describes Paul as "flamboyant". This is supposed to be a hint that completely fell flat since the game never characterized Paul (or anyone, really) as well as intended.

Daktar
Aug 19, 2008

Speaking of the prison section, the first time I played through the milbots scared me away from the armory and I ended up leaving all my stuff there. It's actually fairly easy to rebuild your sweet modded weapons, the upgrades come thicker and faster after the escape.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Male Man posted:

4) The mini-crossbow doesn't fire directly on target. When shooting with the scope and 100% accuracy, the dart begins its flight down and to the left of the crosshairs.
The dart travels less distance than a bullet and is a projectile, while the crosshair might be zeroed for hitscan.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Speaking of the crossbow, if you nail someone with a tranq dart, then nail them a second time before the first one wears off, will the damage stack? Will they take twice as much tranq damage until the first one wears off, or will the duration just continue along happily?

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:

Male Man posted:

6) MJ12 commandos will be-- by far-- your biggest threats in non-lethal playthroughs.

Just save up you prod for the commandos and MiBs. They're no threat if you zap them twice in the rear end (and you get junk like biocells off their now non-exploding corpses).

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
Just reached Hong Kong with Biomod. I must say, having maxed out always on no power drain Run Silent is oddly liberating. I don't have to bother with all that crouching bullshit, just run up and smack dudes on the back of the head.

CAPTAIN SHIT
Mar 10, 2001

guff

Male Man posted:

Things I learned playing Deus Ex today:

2) You can climb up wall of the elevator shaft to Maggie Chow's apartment. It takes longer than just using the elevator, but there's a scramble grenade in an alcove near the top.

yeah i never actually knew you could get that second elevator to move, i always just climbed up the grating to the roof

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice
Found something new to me today. I put what I thought was a laser mod but may have been a scope mod on the Rail Gun, which I think is a shifter plasma gun (?), and now I can see through walls, floors with the scope and shoot through solid objects to kill stuff a long rear end ways away. It seems commandos and bots show up but not regular infantry? Something odd is going on but I just wiped out 6 or so commandos in the cathedral from near the subway stairs, all one shot headshot kills.

Is this all shifter stuff?

CaptainWinky
Jun 13, 2001

Sten Freak posted:

Found something new to me today. I put what I thought was a laser mod but may have been a scope mod on the Rail Gun, which I think is a shifter plasma gun (?), and now I can see through walls, floors with the scope and shoot through solid objects to kill stuff a long rear end ways away. It seems commandos and bots show up but not regular infantry? Something odd is going on but I just wiped out 6 or so commandos in the cathedral from near the subway stairs, all one shot headshot kills.

Is this all shifter stuff?

The railgun is a Shifter weapon. If I remember right, it has a scope by default.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

CaptainWinky posted:

The railgun is a Shifter weapon. If I remember right, it has a scope by default.

And yes, it shoots through walls.

As far as unique Shifter weapons go I love the Blackjack, which is actually better at breaking doors than the DTS in Shifter. The ILAW is neat too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doug Lombardi
Jan 18, 2005

Kitfox88 posted:

Speaking of the crossbow, if you nail someone with a tranq dart, then nail them a second time before the first one wears off, will the damage stack? Will they take twice as much tranq damage until the first one wears off, or will the duration just continue along happily?

It's better to hit them in the head with your tranq bolt for a silent takedown otherwise they can take more tranq damage.