Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande
This is a bit of a DP from the Trackday thread, but these are my tires after one and then two Novice track days. Is there anything that can be learned from them?

After day two and a ~40 mile interstate ride home:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Pilot Powers and the sport minded 2CT's are among the really great tires you can buy for a supersport or superbike. Without question they are awesome everyday and spirited riding tires.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Armacham posted:

i might try a different type after my rear wears out, which I just put on a few hundred miles ago. I ride more street than dirt though, so I will probably stay away from the tkcs.

I'm guessing the wear pattern comes from a little 90/90-21 tire trying to stop a 400lb bike all by its lonesome

Was talking to another KLR guy over the weekend that uses those tires and he noticed the same phenomenon on his. I'd say its the tire size. But hey, for $25/6k, that's not bad at all. I'm gonna try these once the Metzeler street tires on mine wear out.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

Shanky posted:

Anyone have any experience with the Michelin Power Pures? Thinking of trying them on my R6.

Sounds like they're more of a trackday tire than anything. There were a number of people using them at Autobahn last weekend and they seemed well received. I don't think I'd use them on the street though, they'd burn out pretty drat fast.

Edit --

To hop on Tsaven's bandwagon...

Here is my rear tire (standard Pilot Power) after one day at Autobahn. This is basically 3.5 track sessions and ~150miles of street wear since the beginning of the day the track was wet and we were running a slow pace. Tire pressures were set 30F 29R cold, and I measured them at 33F 33R hot, right off the track.

Our resident tire whisperer Z3n thought I might have a bit too little rebound damping but otherwise the wear looks normal. Other thoughts?

needknees fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Apr 26, 2010

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Both of your tires look fine.

Basically, if they're not tearing in some bad way, if you're getting good increase in PSI from cold to hot, you're good.

Needsknees, that's a good increase from cold to hot on the rear, given the low pace due to conditions, you probably had the pressures right for the front in normal conditions. Maybe in similar situations run 29/28 in the future, but that's seriously splitting hairs, especially when you're not going fast and not seeing any issues with tearing.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Apr 26, 2010

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.
I bought a Shadow Phantom two weeks ago, and I got a big nail (in the middle of the tread, far from the sidewall) in my rear tire today. I want to get it patched and would prefer to do so myself, but I cannot find out whether or not the Bridgestone Exedra G702 tire I have is tubed or tubeless, as they make both and the tire doesn't have any markings to suggest which one it might be. I have searched high and low on the Internet and cannot find the answer. The rims are spoked, but I know there are some spoked rims that run tubeless tires (BMW maybe?). Is there any easy way (short of removing the tire from the wheel) to tell if it is tubed? Also, I know this is a bit contentious among riders, but is it worth patching the tire or should I just replace it? I'm not an easily frightened man, but I know more than a couple riders that won't use plugged tires. I, personally, don't think it'd really be an issue as I'm not tracking this bike. But still, I'd like to get opinions from more experienced strangers on the Internet.

Medicinal Penguin
May 19, 2006
I'd definitely patch it if it's tubed, tubeless is a bit more iffy since the repair has to hold air as well as contact the road.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
It's probably tubed. If the valve stem is threaded all the way down to the rim or has a locking nut on it, it's tubed, if it's a rubber or metal stem that's only threaded at the top, it's a tubeless.

I don't see any issues with patching the tire regardless, just have it done right, with an internal mushroom type plug.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

If you're at all interested in tires, tire wear, and how I make really lovely judgments about what your tires are doing, check this out:
http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/6516891

It's long, but Dave Moss is one of the suspension gurus out here and he does a great job of breaking down different types of tearing and tire wear. It's a bit under 2 hours but VERY worth it.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

Z3n posted:

If you're at all interested in tires, tire wear, and how I make really lovely judgments about what your tires are doing, check this out:

It's long, but Dave Moss is one of the suspension gurus out here and he does a great job of breaking down different types of tearing and tire wear. It's a bit under 2 hours but VERY worth it.

That is a great video, and I'm only 10 minutes or so into it. According to that and the tire wear I'm experiencing, my suspension setup is pretty loving close to where it should be :parrot:

The Pilot Powers are wearing like loving iron so far. They seem to stick reasonably well, and if they exhibit this kind of life through the rest of the tire I might stay with them instead of going to Pilot Road 2s.

Taken tonight, this is after two trackdays and ~300 street miles:

Pretty goddamn impressed... but I would like to give a more trackday oriented tire a try :ohdear:

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.
Z3n gave me a lot of helpful advice when I started texting him out of the blue last night - eventually, I gave up for the night...

How the hell do you guys get that last bit of the tire on?

I've gotten it so far as to have about half what's in the picture left (about the same amount left as "-allenge-" part of the name on the sidewall, but I can't seem to manage that last section.
I'm either chasing it around the rim, or the bead of the tire lifts away from the rim so far that I can't get the lever to 'flip' so it's pushing the bead onto the rim, rather than pulling it away?
What part of the rim do you mount last - next to the valvestem or across from it?
Which part of the iron do you wind up using? "hook" or "spoon", and do you have it "up" or "down" (Clarifying terms: They're "hook up" on the iron laying across the tire, "hook down" on the one sticking into the left of the tire, and "spoon up" on the two irons on the ground.)
I'm using ungodly amounts of lube (dishsoap and water), and I'm doing my best to get the tire in the drop center, but there just isn't much drop to it...

And you just KNOW that, in my inexperience, I've pinchflatted the tube in a dozen places already, so I get to spend another 2 hours redoing it when I replace the tube, right? :argh:

Many, many thanks to Z3n for his advice and erstwhile moral support last night.

Kenny Rogers fucked around with this message at 00:01 on May 7, 2010

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I always use the spoon side. It'll climb the tire iron until you get it past vertical then it'll slide down and seat.

You need to take really small bites for the last bit, basically as close to the bead as you can possibly get. Buy some clamps for extra hands to prevent it from chasing and to force it into the bead.

Shanky
Jan 22, 2002

I just started changing tires myself this season. I had problems getting the last bit by myself. Then I got some large c-clamps to squeeze the tire on the opposite side to allow more flexibility to get the last bit on. After I put three clamps on to keep the tire in the middle, the last bit when on really easy.

Plus you can never have enough soapy water on the tire and rim.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

Z3n posted:

I always use the spoon side. It'll climb the tire iron until you get it past vertical then it'll slide down and seat.
That's mostly the problem that I'm having - I'll 'hook down' on the left and right sides to keep the bead from chasing, then, if I slid the spoon 'up' under the tire, it tends to slip (and bang me in the knees or make a break for my nads). If I slide the spoon 'down' under the tire and over the rim, it doesn't slip out, but I can't get it to vertical...the bead pulls up and won't 'stretch' that far - the iron starts bending.

Jendywo's around - I'll get her hands dirty, too. =)

Thanks!

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

If you're getting to the point where the tire iron is bending, you're using too much force because you don't have enough slack in the tire to get it to slide over...you need to get both sides of the bead into the drop center.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:

Z3n posted:

If you're getting to the point where the tire iron is bending, you're using too much force because you don't have enough slack in the tire to get it to slide over...you need to get both sides of the bead into the drop center.
which indicates that getting the last bit over at the valvestem is a good idea, since with the stem there, there isn't room to get both sides into the dropcenter on that side?

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
More than you ever wanted to know about tire wear:

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

n8r posted:

More than you ever wanted to know about tire wear:

Great video, but it's even on the same page man :(

Z3n posted:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Jabs posted:

which indicates that getting the last bit over at the valvestem is a good idea, since with the stem there, there isn't room to get both sides into the dropcenter on that side?

Sure, as long as you don't pinch/destroy the valve stem in the process. Usually mine's anywhere but where I'm digging with a tire iron.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

needknees posted:

Great video, but it's even on the same page man :(

I have z3n on ignore sorry.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
:iceburn:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Hey, whatever he's gotta do to feel like he's contributing is fine by me. :haw:

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
Final edit. I am a psychopath and finally decided to just stick with the road attack for the front for now. Found a new one on ebay for $84 shipped. Anything will be better than what I currently have.

mAlfunkti0n fucked around with this message at 04:26 on May 8, 2010

Radio-Controlled
Mar 31, 2005
The man for the job.
I just bought an '01 Katana with a pair of fresh Bridgestone Battlax BT45Rs on it. The tires show a pressure of 19.5/28 (F/R). The recommended max shown on the tires is 41/42. Suzuki recommends 33/36 (for Dunlops it says). I really want to get max life out of these tires. They seem very hard even with the lower pressure. What pressure should I be aiming for? Is there a hard and fast rule when it comes to motorcycle tire pressures?

Edit: I read the first post but would love opinions on this.

Radio-Controlled fucked around with this message at 01:42 on May 10, 2010

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I'd run 33/36. You can go a few PSI higher in search of better wear, if you'd like...I'd say +3 front and rear at most, because 42 is designed for a bike that's completely loaded down. There's also a point where you'll get worse wear if you overinflate them because you will decrease the size of the contact patch, causing it to flatspot faster.

20f is way too low. Don't bother poking at the tires trying to figure out the pressure.

Medicinal Penguin
May 19, 2006
I've got a Katana with Battlaxes on it, and 32/35 seems to work pretty well.

Speaking of my Katana, how does this tread wear pattern look :v:

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
That burnout needed more gasoline. :colbert:

Medicinal Penguin
May 19, 2006
That's just what it looked like afterwards. I put down some bleach, I think, and it made too much smoke. I don't have any good pictures of me doing the sweet burnout because all the smoke made it too hard to see anything. Trust me though, it was awesome.

It actually made it really hard to get the tire off because the middle sort of folded up when I was trying to break the bead. Should have burned the chicken strips off too, I guess.

that one guy chad
Jan 12, 2008

How all companies should advertise tires:

Bridgestone BT-016

Medicinal Penguin
May 19, 2006

NipplesTheCat posted:

Bridgestone BT-016

No thanks, she's got a bit of a spare tire.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:

Medicinal Penguin posted:

No thanks, she's got a bit of a spare tire.
When my Kendas came in, I wore them like that, and then walked around the apartment pissing and moaning to Jendwo about how I was two tired to put them on.

She threw something at me.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
^^^I like the cut of your jib.

No projectiles here--my wife just gives me the look.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Bucephalus posted:

^^^I like the cut of your jib.

No projectiles here--my wife just gives me the look.

My fiancee just tells me to stop screwing around with her new tires and mount them on her bike already. :3:

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Armacham posted:

Get the BooB tire.
I don't know much about knobbies, but I'm pretty sure this one is awesome.

Zool fucked around with this message at 15:05 on May 12, 2010

sectoidman
Aug 21, 2006
Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway.
So I was going to lube my chain after taking the long way home today, and I noticed this:

Click here for the full 1707x1280 image.

I don't think the tire is leaking, since the pressure is unchanged from the last time I checked it, but this worries me. Will this shorten the life of the tire? Should I replace it? And finally, what the hell could have done that to my tire, it looks like I ran over a machete or something :confused:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Looks like you hit something sharp ;)

I wouldn't worry about it too much on a rear tire if it's holding pressure, I would keep an eye on it when I lubed the chain. Any idea how deep it goes? If it's relatively superficial (ie, equal to or less than the depths of the sipes) it's no big deal, if it's deeper than the sipes, you may have problems.

My DRZ has a similar cut in the tire, of course it's running tubes so it's much less of a concern, but if it's not leaking and is relatively shallow, ride on and don't worry about it, it'll wear out.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

NipplesTheCat posted:

Bridgestone BT-016

A hideous whaletail like that is only acceptable if you're advertising Porsche parts.

:downsrim:

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!
Tyre guru, how does this rear look?

Aside from the chunk of metal which has slit the tread block up near the reflector.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
It looks like you put a dual-sport tyre on a VTR250 for some reason. Planning hitting some dirt roads?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!
It was on there when I got it. ^:)^

What about the profile of the tyre, is this squared off?

What would be a good suggestion if I wanted to get new tyres for it? A sports touring tyre would be the go I guess given I would be doing a fair amount of around town riding in between proper rides.

Do I have to check with Honda or the tyre manufacturer to find out whether a certain tyre is recommended for my bike?

• Locked thread