Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bo-Pepper
Sep 9, 2002

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

Fun Shoe
I think now's as good as any time to look back and suggest games from the GoG catalogue people might have missed but are worth people's time.

Warlord's III: Battlecry is a really fun RTS with an embarrassingly large amount of choosable races to play. I've only today started fooling with it, but I really enjoy the feel of it. It's a good choice for people who like a well made RTS and lament the recent push away from base building. The graphics straddle a midpoint between Warcraft II and III but are more than serviceable.

Bo-Pepper fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Apr 26, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
I have no clue what I'm doing in Outcast. I loaded it up and walked around and collected metal and swam around and seem to be stuck in the snow village.

Also, can use my Xbox controller, but only the movement stick and two buttons. If I can use the other stick to move the camera, I would be in heaven. Anyone figure out how to work that out yet?

Or what the hell I need to do to get out of this starter town. I see a stargate and I found a radio or something on the roof, but nothing else seems to work and I pulled my gun out and have no clue how to put it away.

Warlords 3 Battlecry did own. I liked it, might buy it if it's 5.99 or on sale. I thought it was 9.99 which just seemed like way too much.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

M.A.X. 1 and 2. They get lost in Interplay's other titles but it's a great turn-based strategy game that's fairly complex without overwhelming the player. Best thing I can compare it to is a turn-based Total Annihilation.

AxeManiac posted:

I have no clue what I'm doing in Outcast. I loaded it up and walked around and collected metal and swam around and seem to be stuck in the snow village.

Also, can use my Xbox controller, but only the movement stick and two buttons. If I can use the other stick to move the camera, I would be in heaven. Anyone figure out how to work that out yet?

Or what the hell I need to do to get out of this starter town. I see a stargate and I found a radio or something on the roof, but nothing else seems to work and I pulled my gun out and have no clue how to put it away.

Warlords 3 Battlecry did own. I liked it, might buy it if it's 5.99 or on sale. I thought it was 9.99 which just seemed like way too much.

If you watched the 10 minute opening FMV followed by the 5 minute conversation with whats-his-face you'd know you were supposed to talk to his son who's one of the 10 identical looking aliens walking around :smug:

Seriously, press the "n" key whenever you get lost to bring up your notepad... or was it "J"? I forgot but one of those buttons is basically a journal.

NiknudStunod
May 2, 2009
Does anyone know if they are releasing MoM at midnight or tomorrow during the day?

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

AxeManiac posted:

Talk to people until one of them tells you what to do. The village isn't exactly bustling so it shouldn't take long.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

NiknudStunod posted:

Does anyone know if they are releasing MoM at midnight or tomorrow during the day?

I think they post 'em at 12PM GMT but don't quote me on that.

sharts
Jul 3, 2008

a̸ ̕s̡cŗeam͟i͠ng͞ ͘sk͏u̢l̨l i̡s y͝o͡ųr o͡n͟l͞y ͢comp̛ani̡o͞n͝

NiknudStunod posted:

It'll probably be added midday European time.

edit: whoops, beaten, I think I'm right though because that's when Outcast and Blood were added

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

al-azad posted:

M.A.X. 1 and 2. They get lost in Interplay's other titles but it's a great turn-based strategy game that's fairly complex without overwhelming the player. Best thing I can compare it to is a turn-based Total Annihilation.

If you watched the 10 minute opening FMV followed by the 5 minute conversation with whats-his-face you'd know you were supposed to talk to his son who's one of the 10 identical looking aliens walking around :smug:

Seriously, press the "n" key whenever you get lost to bring up your notepad... or was it "J"? I forgot but one of those buttons is basically a journal.

I almost watched all of it, I tried. I tried talking to random people too, but I guess they just don't say anything if they are not supposed to talk to you. I didn't want to punch them either and then I took out my gun and can't talk to anyone.

Man, old action games do not age well.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

AxeManiac posted:

I almost watched all of it, I tried. I tried talking to random people too, but I guess they just don't say anything if they are not supposed to talk to you. I didn't want to punch them either and then I took out my gun and can't talk to anyone.

Use "0" to put away your equipped weapon. You talk to people by moving up to them and the little icon in the upper left corner will change to an open mouth. People actually have waaaaay too much to say, what is this an RPG?

First thing I did was completely change the control scheme. I use WASD for movement and mapped all the keys around it like q, e, z, x, and c for crawling, inventory, notebook, backpack, etc. I don't remember how I ever played old PC games especially with mouse support when they expect you to use the entire keyboard but the arrow keys for movement. Going back to play Doom it amazes me that anyone thought holding ALT to strafe was a good idea.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

CaudaVenenus posted:

- For your stats, try something like this :

Strength : 6. you'll spend most of the game fighting with small guns with no strength requirement. Later on, either take the perk that allows you to wield heavier weapons, or stick to energy weapons.
Perception : 7. Greatly helps determine your chances to hit your target at range.
Endurance : 4. No need to have more.
Charisma : 5. High speech can generally compensate an average charisma and this should be enough for you to get the two interesting companions anyway
Intelligence : 7. Determines the number of skill points you get each level so it needs to be fairly high.
Agility : 10. It will give you 10 action points, which will be a great help when fighting
Luck : 1. You won't make many critical shots and probably not get any special encounter, but it won't cripple you either and the pointsd are probably better spent elsewhere.

In general this is quite good, but in Fallout 1, Charisma doesn't matter one iota. You aren't limited in terms of followers if you have Charisma 1, and your speech amount will override your charisma in general. In general, its much better to have Charisma 1 than to screw with your other stats. Strength doesn't matter so much as well, since by the time you get heavy/energy weapons you will also have power armor. Having Luck at 1 will end up screwing you over tremendously simply due to critical hits on you.
Usually the best route is to just take gifted, and do ST 6, PE 8, EN 4, CH 2, IN 9, AG 10, LK 8; it will allow your character to not end up dead to a critical hit in the first major town you come across.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

Weedle posted:

The copyrights are absolutely enforceable and not at all hazy. Abandonware isn't a legal distinction, it's just that the majority of publishers don't care enough to go after the people distributing 15-year-old software.
Exactly what Dominic sad.

Weedle posted:

Oh, I know; it sounded like he was referring specifically to games that were once abandonware but have now been legally rereleased, which necessarily do have clear copyrights. I was mainly addressing the common misconception that games become freeware when the copyright holder no longer sells or supports them.

Ehh? No. Unless I really was that half-asleep when I posted it. Anyway, this subject has been argued to death on the forums and all over the place to no clear answer outside of: Yes, always illegal technically, but gray when all the known owners have gone belly up 5-10 years ago.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Swamp Zero posted:

I am apparently unable to play strategy games, psychologically.

My last game of MoO2, I literally finished every single tech research available (took creative because I'm just that OCD) before firing a single shot in offense. Then I wiped out everyone.

But it makes for a boring game, yet I can't seem to escape this. I can't possibly send a ship in combat, knowing full well that I could have a better one in X turns :smith:
What difficulty are you playing in?

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

AxeManiac posted:

Are you greeting them? You have to actually select the command you want to use. Go up to them, press the action button (which I believe is the left mouse button by default), then use your movement buttons to select whichever thing you want to say ("Greet" is the one you should use to find the guy you're looking for).

I mean, I can understand that some aspects of the game are outdated, but you press the context-sensitive action button to bring up a dialog menu like just about every modern action-RPG that exists. It's not exactly Ultima IV.

Edit: I guess I can understand not knowing which button is the action button if you're using a 360 pad, though. I have no idea what's what in that case.

sethsez fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Apr 26, 2010

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

sethsez posted:

Edit: I guess I can understand not knowing which button is the action button if you're using a 360 pad, though. I have no idea what's what in that case.

Yeah, that seems to be the problem, oh well, I was hoping I could play it on my laptop with a controller, looks like a desktop game then.

Speaking of bad moves by ID games, mouselook wasn't defaulted in Quake 1, you had to hold down a button to mouse look or mess with the ini (or command line in game)

Swamp Zero
Dec 8, 2009

by elpintogrande

teethgrinder posted:

What difficulty are you playing in?

easy but I started an average game and see what happens:

VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

what the gently caress is the deal with antarans?

They send 2 frigates and 2 destroyers my way, I have 1 frig 1 destroyer 2 cruisers and 2 battleships with the goddamn super anti-antaran navigator of legend and they wipe my fleet AND the whole loving colony, taking no losses. It's not like I wasn't researching combat tech either.

Is strategic(auto) combat that hosed? If it's gonna be like that and I auto lose every battle then I might as well restart teh loving game.

what in the gently caress

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler
You WILL take far more losses with strategic combat than tactical combat. Auto-resolve in games have never really been in favor of the player in most games, and it is especially true in Master of Orion 2.

Swamp Zero
Dec 8, 2009

by elpintogrande

AG3 posted:

You WILL take far more losses with strategic combat than tactical combat. Auto-resolve in games have never really been in favor of the player in most games, and it is especially true in Master of Orion 2.

yeah well this is my 3rd game, I'm trying to learn it in chunks. I got the empire building, researching and diplomacy to an acceptable level in this playthrough. Starting next, I'll probably do tactical and make my own ships and command them

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

Bjorn you glad I didn't say banana?
Also, the Antarans will gently caress you up until very late in the game. Occasionally losing a colony is unavoidable until that one day when you can get your sweet sweet revenge. It's also comforting to know that they're hitting your opponents just as often as they're hitting you.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

AxeManiac posted:

Yeah, that seems to be the problem, oh well, I was hoping I could play it on my laptop with a controller, looks like a desktop game then.

Speaking of bad moves by ID games, mouselook wasn't defaulted in Quake 1, you had to hold down a button to mouse look or mess with the ini (or command line in game)

I remember that. They thought mouselook was too advanced. Command line -> +mouselook if I remember correctly.

Big Sean
Jan 18, 2010
Antarans aren't too bad. Missile bases can beat them sometimes, and also IIRC they don't use shields so engine targeting missiles do a number on them.

I've been told if you throw enough marines at them to capture them, you can salvage them to take their advanced tech, but that seems a bit on the cheesy side to me, so maybe you want to skip that.

Also, having played MOO2 for a while a few years ago (stopped after I could beat it pretty easily on impossible), and now picking it back up again, I'm struck by how good charismatic (much less charismatic and telepathic) is on anything less than impossible. Pretty much any race you meet will immediately agree to trade and research pacts, and by the time the galactic leader vote rolls around you normally can win it if you so choose. Or at least that was the result on 4 medium sized 5 races hard games in a row.

So charismatic might be a good choice for newbies who want to control the diplomatic flow of the game. This is not MoM's charismatic, even though they seem to have copied it from there.

FearOfABlackKnob
Nov 5, 2008

by Ozma
I read that Moo 2 is easy to get into but I don't have any idea what the hell I am supposed to be doing because I am a complete idiot. Do any of you have some good tips or hints on what to do?

FearOfABlackKnob fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Apr 27, 2010

Swamp Zero
Dec 8, 2009

by elpintogrande

FearOfABlackKnob posted:

I read that MoM 2 is easy to get into but I don't have any idea what the hell I am supposed to be doing because I am a complete idiot. Do any of you have some good tips or hints on what to do?

As a newbie to another newbie:

Housing/Trade converts your PRODUCTION (as in, blue collar dude output) into pop growth or cash. It doesn't do much if you don't have any production to begin with.

Freighters are the food equalizer. They're invisible, invulnerable, instantaneous food transports that let you grow food in 1 system to feed people half the galaxy away. The downside is that they have an upkeep (it hink) and that you also need extra freighters for population transfers.

Basically what you want to be doing is play every planet to its strengths. Do you have a Low Grav Ultra Poor Gaia with 25 max pop? There should not be a single god drat blue collar worker on that planet. His output will be less than halved while farmer output will be heavily amplified. Same with low-pop ultra rich rocks. Put em all into production and import their food from planets that can grow it more efficiently.

Also, don't hesitate to jump start new colonies with colonists from your established ones. If they're sitting on max pop, their growth is being wasted. Having 2 planets at 10/12 and 3/6 beats the poo poo out of 12/12 and 1/6*.

*A different approach to moving colonists around is to buy out infrastructure. In the above example, say that you stay at 12/12 and 1/6, right? Those 2 colonists on the first planet produce a shitload more work than what they would on the new one, due to existing infrastructure. Turn that work into cash and insta-buy the infrastructure of the new planet (automated factories, biospheres, etc), THEN send em in.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Swamp Zero posted:

what the gently caress is the deal with antarans?

They send 2 frigates and 2 destroyers my way, I have 1 frig 1 destroyer 2 cruisers and 2 battleships with the goddamn super anti-antaran navigator of legend and they wipe my fleet AND the whole loving colony, taking no losses. It's not like I wasn't researching combat tech either.
In my recent average game I couldn't defend a colony until 3/4 through the tech tree, and I couldn't defeat their homeworld until I researched almost everything. Any colony picked by the Antarans was a complete write-off.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008
Random Master of Orion 2 tips:

-Early in the game, look for leaders with the Megawealth ability. This means they actually generate income directly (rather than you paying them) and can be a huge boost to your early coffers.

-Technology is HUGE compared to a lot of other 4x games. A small lead in combat tech (especially in shields) can make fights trivial, and some of the infrastructure techs are a stupidly massive boost as well.

-Research communication techs and build Star Bases/Battlestations/Star Fortresses if you can afford them even where you don't need the defense. Each of them generates command points, which lets you have a larger fleet. If your fleet exceeds your total command rating, you get hit with a massive drain on your income that can wreck you if you don't understand why it's happening.

-Gyro Destabilizer is a pretty handy early game weapon. IIRC, it ignores shields, doesn't miss, spins them off course, and damages the structure of the ship directly.

-The premade races are not at all balanced. Psilons and Humans are pretty much easy mode while Silicoids are downright masochistic. It's also pretty easy to break the custom race designer if you want to go that way.

-Antareans are dicks, it's kind of the point. Don't sweat it too much, they're dicks to the computer too. They are beatable at any point of the game, but usually only at planets where you have defenses already and can get a relevant fleet in time. It's often expedient to write off a colony as soon as you see them coming, like teethgrinder said. In general planetary defenses >>>>>> actual ships, since defenses upgrade to your latest tech instantly and can take a lot more damage.

-One of the most infuriating aspects of the game is that computers will sometimes surrender to another computer at the drop of a hat, even if they weren't at war and even if they're nowhere near destruction. This immediately puts all of their remaining planets and ships at the new overlord's disposal which is often an autolose button for you. Don't feel bad about reloading if this happens. It's totally random, and going back even a turn or two usually prevents it.

Big Sean posted:

I've been told if you throw enough marines at them to capture them, you can salvage them to take their advanced tech, but that seems a bit on the cheesy side to me, so maybe you want to skip that.

It's not that cheesy just because it's really, really hard to do. The Antareans get massive combat bonuses in boarding actions, as in 3 of their marines will kill 50 of yours for a while. You probably won't be able to capture even their little ships without a ton of marines and marine-boosting techs. Even if you do get a successful capture, they have a high chance of instantly self-destructing. The larger Antarean ships also have Pulsars, which sodomize anything that gets close to them.

Avasculous fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Apr 27, 2010

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

AxeManiac posted:

To be fair to them, full 3D freedom was a quite new concept, so they hadn't nailed stuff down. Did it even have WASD as movement by default?

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

AxeManiac posted:

You could always use Xpadder to set everything up.

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

Thanks for the Master of Orion 2 tips! I'm also in the "what the hell am I supposed to be doing?" boat. I read a good chunk of the manual but it doesn't really explain how to play the game. It's good as a reference if I understand something (and why I need to do it) and need some information on it, but it's not too great at starting your first few games.

I didn't find good tips looking the game up on Google.

What does 4x mean? I'm kind of a new with these kind of games, the only times I played strategic games, they were the kind with a tutorial at the beginning to teach you what you can build/research actually will provide.

The game certainly looks interesting. It feels like Ogame.org but FUN (if I can finally understand it).

I have one big question about MoO2... Early on, when not much is happening. I can order my colony to convert stuff or build a structure, assign my peons to the three different kind of stuff they can do, start a research. You get the idea. I can then end my turn... but should I just press TURN like 16 times in a row so one of the two tasks are done? I don't understand much of the game so I might be wasting turns and progression/expansion when I'm starting to have a few ships and colonies but I often found myself in this situation where I need to just pass time for stuff to be made/completed. Does it mean I'm totally clueless at this game?

I want to feel like I'm doing something right while playing it. It feels like I'm wincing and closing my eyes when I decide to click on something, because I'm not sure of what's happening.

I'm 29 and I wonder how I missed all these great and classic games when I was younger. I've been a gamer all my life too. I guess not having gamer friends before the Internet hurt me. Small city and everything. I didn't even know RPG existed until I played the PC port of FFVII. So again, thank you goons an GOG for educating my lowly self!

On another note, I completed Dark Fall and just now started Dark Fall 2. The second one started annoyingly. Had to get a walkthrough for the first puzzle. I had to find the clue at the bottom of a bunch of stairs, in a dark corner (so no way you'd think about checking this zone) to zoom in so you can then use your lantern and find a rolled up scroll. Pixel hunting at its worst, hope it's not like this all the time. I get that I'm usually not smart enough for these games but this kind of mechanic is always a cheap shot!

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Hemish posted:

What does 4x mean? I'm kind of a new with these kind of games, the only times I played strategic games, they were the kind with a tutorial at the beginning to teach you what you can build/research actually will provide.

Explore
Expand
Exploit
Exterminate

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

Big Sean posted:

It's possible, but if you manage to capture it they have a 50% chance of self-destructing, so unless you abuse saving/reloading a lot it's not really all that great. You also more or less need to make ships specifically designed to capture them for that, which isn't practical early on.

Also, if you're willing to use a custom race, Lucky is a cheap perk that will make Antarans attack you less often since they'll head for your opponents far more often instead. It also has the benefit of making bad random events skip you. It's a decent beginner perk for making sure you don't get overwhelmed.

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Master of Magic is now available on GOG for $5.99.

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1
Add me to the list of people who started playing MOO2 and ended up realizing he should have been in bed three hours ago.

*yawn* gonna be a rough day at work.

thedaian
Dec 11, 2005

Blistering idiots.

Hemish posted:

I have one big question about MoO2... Early on, when not much is happening. I can order my colony to convert stuff or build a structure, assign my peons to the three different kind of stuff they can do, start a research. You get the idea. I can then end my turn... but should I just press TURN like 16 times in a row so one of the two tasks are done? I don't understand much of the game so I might be wasting turns and progression/expansion when I'm starting to have a few ships and colonies but I often found myself in this situation where I need to just pass time for stuff to be made/completed. Does it mean I'm totally clueless at this game?

Nope! It's fairly common in 4X games that when you have only a few cities (colonies, units, etc) near the beginning of the game, you'll spend a fair amount of time just hitting 'next turn' a bunch. Depending on your play style, you might end up doing that a lot late game too, if you don't build too many military ships and try to win via diplomacy or something. I can't help with your other questions since I never got too deep into MOO2 when I played it, but there's been some useful beginners guides posted in this thread which will probably help a bit.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Blodskur posted:

Master of Magic is now available on GOG for $5.99.

Instant buy for me, even though I have the original CD and even the manual and spell book still. If there was ever a GoG title that deserved a purchase, it's this one.

Swamp Zero
Dec 8, 2009

by elpintogrande

glug posted:

Add me to the list of people who started playing MOO2 and ended up realizing he should have been in bed three hours ago.

*yawn* gonna be a rough day at work.

I didn't even sleep. gently caress.

Never had a case of "just one more turn" this strong since heroes of might and magic 3

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

AG3 posted:

Instant buy for me, even though I have the original CD and even the manual and spell book still. If there was ever a GoG title that deserved a purchase, it's this one.

gently caress yes!

Orgone Accumulator
Jan 28, 2006

It's been a long time coming.
Jesus, is Moo2 coded to rape you with Antarans whenever you're doing well? I'm playing as the Bulrathi and just wiped out the pathetic Humans and took their homeworld. I get an Antaran attack on one of the former human colonies and accept it as a write-off, but then literally like 10 turns later there's another attack on my homeworld that wipes out my entire fleet before I can even take a turn. What the gently caress. I tried cheesing my way out of it by loading old save games but it happens every time. I'm convinced the game is just being a dick because it doesn't want me to have two sweet planets from which to spam my waves of lovely kamikaze missile boats (the Porcupine III). I have to remember to turn that option off next game.

Also as somebody who knows nothing about Master of Magic, would people say it holds up well today? I think somebody in this thread said it was like Civ with tactical combat which sounds great to me. I've seen the screenshots and the graphics don't bother me.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Orgone Accumulator posted:

Jesus, is Moo2 coded to rape you with Antarans whenever you're doing well? I'm playing as the Bulrathi and just wiped out the pathetic Humans and took their homeworld. I get an Antaran attack on one of the former human colonies and accept it as a write-off, but then literally like 10 turns later there's another attack on my homeworld that wipes out my entire fleet before I can even take a turn. What the gently caress. I tried cheesing my way out of it by loading old save games but it happens every time. I'm convinced the game is just being a dick because it doesn't want me to have two sweet planets from which to spam my waves of lovely kamikaze missile boats (the Porcupine III). I have to remember to turn that option off next game.

Antarans will almost always go for the player, unless you have the Lucky racial. Especially if you're doing well.

Orgone Accumulator posted:

Also as somebody who knows nothing about Master of Magic, would people say it holds up well today? I think somebody in this thread said it was like Civ with tactical combat which sounds great to me. I've seen the screenshots and the graphics don't bother me.

Gameplay wise saying it's like Civ with tactical battles is pretty accurate. You also have the added element of magic spells both for combat and overland casting, monster summoning, hero raising/equipping, etc. I'd say it holds up very well. The AI is a bit shite and diplomacy is more or less useless since the AI tends to be hyper aggressive after a certain amount of time, but you can still get some spell trading done early on.

It's definitely worth playing even today.

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

Thanks for the info! I didn't think of reading this thread a second time around the MoO2 release to see if people had posted interesting links.

I have another small question. When I right click on a planet, it shows me how much the Food, Worker and Research bonus will be. Is there a way to get a "final" number? I keep trying to compare with other colonies and I have to check each planet default settings, check each colony if I have structures that gives more bonuses and also check my leaders...

So I'm just wonderinf if I'm missing some kind of page where those numbers are calculated. I see lots of +XX% and +3 to XYZ but the math don't seem to be done in my menus, which makes it a bit hard to keep track.

I'm starting to have fun though. I should restart my game and see if I can remove the Antanrans. They're utter dicks and with the NON tactical combat setting I'm using, until I get used to the rest of the game, they make me lose colonies left and right.

Someone should make a nice MoO2 thread! :eng101:

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Hemish posted:

Thanks for the info! I didn't think of reading this thread a second time around the MoO2 release to see if people had posted interesting links.

I have another small question. When I right click on a planet, it shows me how much the Food, Worker and Research bonus will be. Is there a way to get a "final" number? I keep trying to compare with other colonies and I have to check each planet default settings, check each colony if I have structures that gives more bonuses and also check my leaders...

So I'm just wonderinf if I'm missing some kind of page where those numbers are calculated. I see lots of +XX% and +3 to XYZ but the math don't seem to be done in my menus, which makes it a bit hard to keep track.

I'm starting to have fun though. I should restart my game and see if I can remove the Antanrans. They're utter dicks and with the NON tactical combat setting I'm using, until I get used to the rest of the game, they make me lose colonies left and right.

Someone should make a nice MoO2 thread! :eng101:

If you enter a colony and click on the resource itself (food, production, research) in the colony window, it will show all the factors that affects the production of that resource on that colony, down to a decimal. I don't believe there is one that allows you to compare colonies at a glance though.

Hemish posted:

I'm pretty sure Antaran attacks can be disabled from the menu when you start a new game (it's an option called "Antarans attack", not surprisingly). Unless that's what you meant :shobon:

AG3 fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Apr 27, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

tentaclesex posted:

Prophecy was the worst Wing Commander, but it was still better than most games.

The Darkening is completely awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXgBzU4EgFM

Gordon's ALIVE??!!

And it's got Clive Owen before anyone knew who he was.