Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter

Adrenochrome posted:

This frame is a good example of something that gets really annoying, and once you see it you can't unsee it. Look at the vignetting in the upper left corner. Those vignette marks pop up all the time (except for the last season). And not in the same place--one, two, three, or all four corners.

Edit: Here's an example of a frame clipped on three sides.

benito fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Apr 24, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaosMonkey
Jun 28, 2008

benito posted:

This frame is a good example of something that gets really annoying, and once you see it you can't unsee it. Look at the vignetting in the upper left corner. Those vignette marks pop up all the time (except for the last season). And not in the same place--one, two, three, or all four corners.

Yes, I've noticed this while watching KotH on Netflix and it makes me nuts. W aht's the drat deal?

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter

ChaosMonkey posted:

Yes, I've noticed this while watching KotH on Netflix and it makes me nuts. W aht's the drat deal?

I'm guessing the full-frame background cels were shot in a frame with rounded corners, and then sometimes unevenly cropped. I never really noticed it on TV, but watching the DVDs on the computer or seeing episodes on a newer flat screen, they really stick out.

It's sloppy, and once I started noticing them I saw them everywhere (the frame I posted isn't anything special, I just grabbed an episode at random an skimmed until I saw an example--4:30 into the episode).

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

They probably weren't too worried about it since a normal CRT tv has several percent of overscan. However, it gets exposed on modern TVs where you can completely eliminate the overscan and show the full frame.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.

haljordan posted:

Warlocks? Oh yeah, we kicked them out about an hour ago. The tall guy geeked hard; I cast a spell on his rear end with my FOOT.

I'm pretty sure it's geektard, actually.

Why yes, I've seen that episode way too many times.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

Suben posted:

I'm pretty sure it's geektard, actually.

Why yes, I've seen that episode way too many times.

Nah, he's right. Besides, "the tall guy geektard" makes no sense.

Evil Agita
Feb 25, 2005

Lord Fool, give me another chance. I'll prove my strength to you!
It's totally geeked hard. And now I'm going to notice the bad framing all the time. Thanks guys!

But I will have some fun pointing it out to people and annoying them with it.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Crotch Bat posted:

Nah, he's right. Besides, "the tall guy geektard" makes no sense.

I just watched the episode and pretty sure it's geektard. As in "That tall guy geektard?" He was clarifying Ward.

Another thing about that episode is Bill mentioning Laoma even if it's just offhand that they're still dating.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

I doubt it, appending "-tard" onto words is mostly and internet thing.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
Yea, Mike Judge isn't putting "geektard" into KOTH. Its definitely geeked, as in he freaked out/spazzed out.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
"Mr. Dautrieve, if you don't take a chance you wind up a loser, just like Mr. Dautrieve."

Luane and Fry should get married and have the dumbest kids in the history of television.

EDIT: Holy crap, Jack the Barber has the same VA as Captain K'nuckles.

Strange Matter fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Apr 25, 2010

Crummers
Dec 30, 2008

Strange Matter posted:

EDIT: Holy crap, Jack the Barber has the same VA as Captain K'nuckles.

Brian Doyle-Murray is awesome and is also the older brother of one of the greatest men of all time. That man is Bill Murray.

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'...

Crotch Bat posted:

The part they nailed with the bully is the newbie parents who insist their child is special and so he's allowed to act like a spastic rear end.

Hah, I'm not sure I noticed this either, although its been awhile since I've seen this one.

[timg]http://img.waffleimages.com/4ceeebb8a9ee645703eb6038006d839bb9eb765f/18 - I Never Promised You an Organic Garden.avi_snapshot_10.16_[2010.04.16_02.33.26].png#via=salr[/timg]

I know this is from a while back, but I just caught another awesome bit of detail.

(s3e15 Sleight of Hank)
Granted I was looking for it because I was thinking of how they explain it at the end, and if they bothered showing anything in the episode itself.

Season 3 is pretty god drat awesome though. I like that they bothered to have Luanne's hair grow back over a couple episode too.

Fooley fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Apr 25, 2010

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Meeble posted:

Brian Doyle-Murray is awesome and is also the older brother of one of the greatest men of all time. That man is Bill Murray.

Wow, I never knew that. That explains why I heard Jack's voice in the Let's Play of the Ghostbusters video game. He plays the mayor and his little brother, obviously, is Venkman. :monocle:

Your Proud Pal
Sep 4, 2006

Excuse me are y'all with the cult?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

ChaosMonkey posted:

Others have already answered, but I've worked in animation and seen this sort of thing first hand. Background painters are really different than the animation guys, as their talents lie more in creating a painting rather than quality of line and motion. As such, at times their backgrounds can really be out of whack as far as shot composition goes. Sometimes we'd get backgrounds where the art ended well before the edge of the frame area. Those weren't so bad, because we could request a retake and get a new image. Small stuff wouldn't warrant a retake because of the cost, so sometimes we ended up trying to extend the art in photoshop, or reframing things. Reframes sometimes looked the worst, in that you got those clipped edges, as well the whole scene makeup looking off because objects and character aren't originally where they were intended to be.

Fishylungs
Jan 12, 2008

Fooley posted:

I know this is from a while back, but I just caught another awesome bit of detail.

(s3e15 Sleight of Hank)
Granted I was looking for it because I was thinking of how they explain it at the end, and if they bothered showing anything in the episode itself.

:confused: What am I missing?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Fishylungs posted:

:confused: What am I missing?

Lower left corner is Peggy being led away which is how the trick was done. BUT this was earlier in the episode before they revealed it.

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Fire up the grill everyone eats tonight!
Lipstick Apathy

Lt. Cock posted:

I have my own fan art I could dig up and post, but this needs to be done first. Years ago I got a letter from a friend of mine with this picture inside it. He captioned it "Super Saiyan Five, Forbidden Hank Hill Form." It's probably one of my favorite things ever.

I'm quoting this from the shameful fan art thread in GBS because we all deserve to see it.

Syrant
Jun 28, 2006
This post is brought to you by: Goat Bouillabaise.

First 9
There are at least two other images involving Hank and DBZ I've seen.

Adrenochrome
Nov 22, 2007

by mons all madden

benito posted:

I can't believe I've never noticed it before but now that you pointed it out I can't unsee it :psypop:

Amorphous Blob
Jun 26, 2009

by Lowtax

(and can't post for 2 years!)

Holy crap that animation shift came out of freaking no where.

Moscow Mule
Dec 21, 2004

Nothing beats the taste sensation when maple syrup collides with ham.
I guess it's a good thing my TV cuts off the sides after all.

Zoot Suit Mahoney
Jan 20, 2010

Quit jivin' me, turkey.
"If the school were a deck of cards, Bobby would be the King of Hearts... two of us would be Jokers, and the other one would be that card with the rules on it."

El Boot
Mar 18, 2009

Thank Dog It's Friday
"Under the bleachers? Oh god, that's where kids at risk gather!"

Spook
Feb 25, 2002

Silence of the MOTHERFUCKING LAMBS!!
"And that is why I don't bowl on Tuesdays."

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter

Adrenochrome posted:

I can't believe I've never noticed it before but now that you pointed it out I can't unsee it :psypop:

King of the Hill: Crop Out the Dang Corners!

Sorry if this observation has irritated anyone. I noticed it a few months ago and couldn't find anything about it online, and certainly there was some obsessive freak out there who was angry about the vignetting. I used to have a digital camera that was bad about vignetting, though the corners were just dark shadows rather than sharp curved triangles.

In the grand scheme of things, it's not that big a deal. I guess you can make a game out of it, take one, two, three, or four sips of beer when they show up, or just yell "Bwaahhhh!" Either are probably a healthier response than turning in a circle three times and licking the remote control.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005
Imagine if Hank cared about this.

"Now where are my corners?"

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
We can't get a HD tv. They're too realistic. Luanne would be walking into it constantly.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
Has anyone who does yoga seen the Yoga episode? I'm thinking about taking some yoga classes and I really want to know the proper name for the "modified roger staubach"

If Im going to giggle like an idiot during class, i want it to be for the right reasons. otherwise I'l just have to make ocean noises

photo kiosk of life
Aug 31, 2004

Not the best role model.

BlueBayou posted:

Has anyone who does yoga seen the Yoga episode? I'm thinking about taking some yoga classes and I really want to know the proper name for the "modified roger staubach"

If Im going to giggle like an idiot during class, i want it to be for the right reasons. otherwise I'l just have to make ocean noises

At first it's like the Salutation to the Sun (Like he says) but the end part doesn't seem familiar. Then again I've only been doing it for a few months.

Adrenochrome
Nov 22, 2007

by mons all madden
I can't believe I posted all those screen shots and left out my favorite Hank moment of the entire series.

Any episode where Hank kicks someone's rear end is a good one but for me this one takes the cake especially due to the absurdity of it all. If anyone is still taking GIF requests can someone capture the kick? It never fails to get a laugh out of me.

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'...
I was bored so I made a thing:

(I'm doing screencaps and mashing pause on Netflix so I can't really do requests because :effort:)

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.

El Boot posted:

"Under the bleachers? Oh god, that's where kids at risk gather!"

On one hand, that was a pretty funny episode.

On the other, it's an episode with Hank being kind of an irrational jackass over something dumb but the "wrong" side is written to such a ridiculous extreme that he's right anyway. They did the same thing in the episode where Hank's trying to keep Bobby away from things that might "corrupt" him and the moral winds up being "hey overparenting your kid might be kind of lame but JUST THINK OF HOW MUCH WORSE IT COULD BE?"

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
Let the grid go down lord, I don't need it!

My name is Chappy. I live in the woods, and poop in an outhouse.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

Fooley posted:

I was bored so I made a thing:

(I'm doing screencaps and mashing pause on Netflix so I can't really do requests because :effort:)
It looks like Khan's pelvic thrust is causing the gif to shake.

Crow T Bard
Nov 6, 2009
Congratulations. You just ethnically cleansed half the class.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

muscles like this? posted:

I just watched the episode and pretty sure it's geektard. As in "That tall guy geektard?" He was clarifying Ward.

Another thing about that episode is Bill mentioning Laoma even if it's just offhand that they're still dating.

The Laoma episode and Witches of East Arlen both premiered on the same night, back to back. Since the Laoma episode (can't think of the title for the life of me) aired first, it only makes sense that her name would pop up in the very next episode, during a conversation about how much Bill's life sucks.

In fact, here's a mind-blowing thought. Maybe Bill's Tarot card reading was the writers' subtle way of killing off his romance with Laoma, by implying that she and Bill would break up off-screen. :monocle:

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
This is such a sad episode, with Boomhaur realizing he's old.

I didn't come here to surf, I came to kick some rear end.
*Body's friends gather around*
I bail!
*Khan runs off*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

In fact, here's a mind-blowing thought. Maybe Bill's Tarot card reading was the writers' subtle way of killing off his romance with Laoma, by implying that she and Bill would break up off-screen. :monocle:

Maybe. But I think what makes the laoma episode funnier in the end is that they never do actually resolve it, nor does anyone really talk about it again beyond those episodes. So the implication is that Bill most likely hosed it up just as he always does and since he's a continual fuckup, it doesn't even bear mentioning.