Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

HPL posted:

To be honest, I'm hoping the current wave of intentional over-processing in general passes quickly. I'm getting tired of band promo shots where someone took Topaz Adjust and cranked it to 11.

This is exactly why I hate most HDR. Every crappy band promo photo photographer uses that sort of crap and it just ruins it. People use it as a crutch and not a tool to better replicate how your eye sees something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brad industry
May 22, 2004
Yes but pretty much all band promos are loving terrible with or without any processing.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Cross_ posted:

This pretty much. It's a relatively new toy though so some people are still having a hard time doing it right. Personally I find faux cross-processed / 70s style photos on flickr and in photo-a-day far more obnoxious than even extreme HDR but to each his own. Why does Dorkroom in particular hate so much on HDR ? :iiam:

I'm not a dorkroom regular, but I think HDR can produce some really good results when used with some sense and moderation.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

a foolish pianist posted:

I'm not a dorkroom regular, but I think HDR can produce some really good results when used with some sense and moderation.

If that's the case it pretty much never is.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Pompous Rhombus posted:

If that's the case it pretty much never is.

It's probably more accurate to say that you don't notice it when it is.

TsarAleksi
Nov 24, 2004

What?

It's probably more accurate to say that you don't notice it when it is.

The thing is that 99% of the time, the term HDR is used to define images generated out of something like Photomatix or Photoshop's "Merge to HDR" function, the result of which is, in all but extremely rare circumstances, the kind of overwrought, 3d-render-esque mess that is being critiqued.

I've never seen an 'HDR' that couldn't have been done better by blending exposures by hand.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007
I don't remember who posted it, but I remember a very well done HDR on this forum. I think it was a bunch of pipes on a wall in some basement, and something like 7 exposures blended together. It was one of the few times in which the technique yielded a very pleasing end result.

Not ashamed to admit I went through an over the top HDR phase, it was short, and horrid, but I thought they were cool for a while.

notlodar
Sep 11, 2001

Who does the architecture like a madman? Using like 5 exposures and using the best for each detail down to the light-switch?

That's HDR and HDR done right.

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!

notlodar posted:

Who does the architecture like a madman? Using like 5 exposures and using the best for each detail down to the light-switch?

That's HDR and HDR done right.

It's woot fatigue and I think its a hell of a lot more than that.

notlodar
Sep 11, 2001

Yeah but it's still HDR even if no one will call it that, and its crazy amazing

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

notlodar posted:

Yeah but it's still HDR even if no one will call it that, and its crazy amazing

It is ridiculously amazing, but is it technically HDR? Guy earns every penny he makes, I don't think there are more than 10 photographers total who are nearly as meticulous as him.

notlodar
Sep 11, 2001

Technically HDR: yes
what is normally known as HDR: no...

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

TsarAleksi posted:

The thing is that 99% of the time, the term HDR is used to define images generated out of something like Photomatix or Photoshop's "Merge to HDR" function, the result of which is, in all but extremely rare circumstances, the kind of overwrought, 3d-render-esque mess that is being critiqued.

I've never seen an 'HDR' that couldn't have been done better by blending exposures by hand.

I've seen nice results come out of Photomatix, even. I think all it takes is not cranking all the sliders all the way over to the right.

TsarAleksi
Nov 24, 2004

What?

notlodar posted:

Technically HDR: yes
what is normally known as HDR: no...

But by this definition of HDR (expanding the range in the print/final image beyond what could fit originally), you could expand it to fit just about any example of photography with localized exposure editing (ie dodge/burn on a film print, etc )

brad industry
May 22, 2004
HDR is just the zone system, except in the zone system the first step is to think about what you want.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Shmoogy posted:

I don't remember who posted it, but I remember a very well done HDR on this forum. I think it was a bunch of pipes on a wall in some basement, and something like 7 exposures blended together. It was one of the few times in which the technique yielded a very pleasing end result.
Maybe one of these?
http://www.flickr.com/photos/no3rdw/2305613617/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/j4cbo/2517907560/in/set-72157605223277993/
Hope the owners don't mind me posting these.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)

brad industry posted:

HDR is just the zone system, except in the zone system the first step is to think about what you want.

HAHAHAHAHAHAH

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut

brad industry posted:

ZING!

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Speaking of HDR...

gizmodo posted:

There's no going wrong with HDR photography. At its most sensitive, the technique allows for color/tone gradients rarely appreciated by anything but the naked eye. At its most aggressive, HDR's a hyperreal spectacle.

:rolleyes:

Some of them aren't too bad, though.

tuyop fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Apr 27, 2010

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

About six months ago, I switched from Lightroom 2.X to DxO for two reasons:

1) DxO does a better job with noise reduction and, well, I'm a Sony shooter.
2) DxO has lens correction modules - small software add-ons that automatically correct chromatic aberration, geometric distortion, lens softness at certain apertures, and so on.

We've all seen/heard that Lightroom 3 has better noise reduction and, well, now it has lens correction as well.

quote:

Ah, we were trying to save this little bit to be "One more thing..." when the apps ship, but we can't wait to share it: Both Lightroom 3 and Camera Raw 6 (part of CS5) will offer automatic lens correction. PM Tom Hogarty writes,

"The easiest application of lens correction is to apply the lens profile technology that encompasses geometric distortion (barrel and pincushion distortion), chromatic aberration and lens vignetting characteristics. A handful of lens profiles will be provided by default and a Lens Profile Creator Utility will be posted on Adobe Labs allowing photographers to create their own lens profiles using a simple procedure."
DxO's modules are great but the end user has no ability to create their own, leaving users of third party lenses to fend for themselves. I may have to switch right back to Lightroom.

Bob Socko fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Apr 27, 2010

brad industry
May 22, 2004
Lens Correction/transform additions for CS5:

http://www.pdngearguide.com/gearguide/content_display/news/e3if6cb56a5cc3a087d7e83d050ee110da9

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

tuyop posted:

Speaking of HDR...

:rolleyes:

Some of them aren't too bad, though.

Man, they really cranked those sliders up to 11 on most of those. Jesus christ:

SynVisions
Jun 29, 2003

Man, they really cranked those sliders up to 11 on most of those. Jesus christ:

Heavenly HDR Wallpaper is right

Only registered members can see post attachments!

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

SynVisions posted:

Why that looks just like one of woot fatigue's carefully crafted images. I'm sure he's kicking himself he didn't just do it this way instead of his method of meticulously ensuring quality and accuracy.

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl

SynVisions posted:

Jesus Christ, in the thumbnail it just looks like someone ran the edge detection filter. How do people think this looks good?

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

orange lime posted:

Jesus Christ, in the thumbnail it just looks like someone ran the edge detection filter. How do people think this looks good?

It has a certain "hacker's desk from a 1994 cyberpunk PC game" charm to it.

notlodar
Sep 11, 2001

brad industry posted:

oh poo poo

torgeaux posted:

Why that looks just like one of woot fatigue's carefully crafted images. I'm sure he's kicking himself he didn't just do it this way instead of his method of meticulously ensuring quality and accuracy.
woot fatigue doesn't shoot cluttered office spaces...

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

That image actually hurts my eyes, physically. Also it's butt ugly.

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

and that's how you get ants.

nonanone posted:

That image actually hurts my eyes, physically. Also it's butt ugly.

But look at that extraordinary detail in the wall! Wonderful texture!

*insert unicorn/rainbow .gif and group invite here*

edit: for content, I'm really liking the announced improvements so far to LR3. Lens correction is really cool and their noise removal seems to be on par with DxO according to a video that showed it off. That's one thing that really swayed me to DxO because I could shoot at 1600/3200 with my 40D and still be able to get usable shots out of it.

We'll see if LR3 actually is as good as it appears to be when it actually hits retail but I'm looking forward to it so far.

PREYING MANTITS fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Apr 30, 2010

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
Dumb lightroom 2 question: when you import a folder it gives you the option of which size thumbnails you want to load (minimal, standard, 1:1). If I'm in a rush I'll just pick minimal - how do I go back later, when I'm leaving the computer alone for a while, and have them rendered in 1:1?

brad industry
May 22, 2004
Library -> Render Previews -> Render 1:1

Tziko
Feb 18, 2001

diarrhea for girls posted:

But look at that extraordinary detail in the wall! Wonderful texture!

*insert unicorn/rainbow .gif and group invite here*

edit: for content, I'm really liking the announced improvements so far to LR3. Lens correction is really cool and their noise removal seems to be on par with DxO according to a video that showed it off. That's one thing that really swayed me to DxO because I could shoot at 1600/3200 with my 40D and still be able to get usable shots out of it.

We'll see if LR3 actually is as good as it appears to be when it actually hits retail but I'm looking forward to it so far.

I've been using Beta 2 for a while now and it's been working great. Go try it out - the noise reduction is better than in LR 2.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

It has a certain "hacker's desk from a 1994 cyberpunk PC game" charm to it.
Most HDR I see looks like PC game or album cover art from the '90s.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

jackpot posted:

Dumb lightroom 2 question: when you import a folder it gives you the option of which size thumbnails you want to load (minimal, standard, 1:1). If I'm in a rush I'll just pick minimal - how do I go back later, when I'm leaving the computer alone for a while, and have them rendered in 1:1?

And for that matter, how do I get Lightroom to stop loving around with the previews and show them the way they appear when I view the .CR2 file in Irfanview or whatever?

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

HPL posted:

And for that matter, how do I get Lightroom to stop loving around with the previews and show them the way they appear when I view the .CR2 file in Irfanview or whatever?

Thats not Lightroom loving around with the previews, that's your camera loving around with the previews.

Closest you can really get is setting your camera profile to "camera standard" or whatever in lightroom, and setting the WB as "as shot"

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<

brad industry posted:

Library -> Render Previews -> Render 1:1
Thanks. That was stupid of me, it's right in front of my face.

Next LR question: last night on a whim I changed my camera (Canon 40D) settings to not automatically rotate portrait-oriented images in the lcd preview. Or at least that's what I thought I was doing. I wanted to set it so that when I previewed them (in-camera) I was seeing the whole image, not a chopped portrait rotated to fit in a landscape screen. Make sense?

I guess I always took it for granted that Lightroom always knows whether I want a photo to display in portrait or landscape (by the way, how does it know? Seems to me there would have to be a gyro inside in order to do that), because I don't remember having to do this poo poo before: I offloaded 993 photos that I took last night, and now half of the fuckers need to be rotated 90 degrees.

In Bridge there's a landscape/portrait filter - where's the equivalent in LR?

jackpot fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Apr 30, 2010

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

Thats not Lightroom loving around with the previews, that's your camera loving around with the previews.

Closest you can really get is setting your camera profile to "camera standard" or whatever in lightroom, and setting the WB as "as shot"

Great. I'll try that next time around.

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl

jackpot posted:

I guess I always took it for granted that Lightroom always knows whether I want a photo to display in portrait or landscape (by the way, how does it know? Seems to me there would have to be a gyro inside in order to do that), because I don't remember having to do this poo poo before: I offloaded 993 photos that I took last night, and now half of the fuckers need to be rotated 90 degrees.

In Bridge there's a landscape/portrait filter - where's the equivalent in LR?

Your camera does have a silicon gyroscope inside (an accelerometer, actually) that measures which way the thing is down. Most image formats also have a tag that lets you set which way is "up" without actually transforming the pixel grid. When you set your camera to auto-rotate, it's setting that tag on the image, then reading it when you display it, and showing the image in that orientation. Lightroom is presumably doing the same thing, so now that you're no longer setting the tag, it doesn't rotate them.

I think that a better method of doing the same thing would be to always embed the tag and just not read it when you didn't want to rotate, but I guess Canon isn't doing it that way.

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

and that's how you get ants.

Tziko posted:

I've been using Beta 2 for a while now and it's been working great. Go try it out - the noise reduction is better than in LR 2.

Oh yeah, I forgot to give that a try. I know in the first beta they had disabled some of the noise removal things, thanks for the reminder! :)

Looks like the CS5 trials are up on Adobe.com if you're interested in making cutting edge, "beautiful" HDRs. Or maybe just seeing that content aware stuff for yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

orange lime posted:

I think that a better method of doing the same thing would be to always embed the tag and just not read it when you didn't want to rotate, but I guess Canon isn't doing it that way.

There should be three rotate options on a 40D:

1. Auto-rotate, the default setting.
2. No rotation, like what jackpot selected.
3. No rotation on camera, but rotation on PC, which is what you want. You'll get full-screen on the camera regardless of orientation like option 2, but when you open the images in Lightroom or whatever, it'll properly orient.

• Locked thread