Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bartkusa
Sep 25, 2005

Air, Fire, Earth, Hope

Sten Freak posted:

Found something new to me today. I put what I thought was a laser mod but may have been a scope mod on the Rail Gun, which I think is a shifter plasma gun (?), and now I can see through walls, floors with the scope and shoot through solid objects to kill stuff a long rear end ways away. It seems commandos and bots show up but not regular infantry? Something odd is going on but I just wiped out 6 or so commandos in the cathedral from near the subway stairs, all one shot headshot kills.

Is this all shifter stuff?

Yes, I don't think vanilla DX had unique weapons (besides the Dragon's Tooth).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector

CaptainWinky posted:

The railgun is a Shifter weapon. If I remember right, it has a scope by default.

Scope with the shits and giggles of the super duper enhanced vision aug, it's probably a nod to the hilarity of the Farsight from Perfect Dark. Everything you can kill shows up. Unfortunately, people will magically know where you are so expect a long train of stupid coming to where you fired the shot from.

Fnoigy
Apr 9, 2007

I'm fine. Why do you ask?

Dr Snofeld posted:

And yes, it shoots through walls.

As far as unique Shifter weapons go I love the Blackjack, which is actually better at breaking doors than the DTS in Shifter. The ILAW is neat too.
:psyduck:
This is like trying to cut up a turkey with your best carving knife and it doesn't work well, so you get out an old pair of scissors and it cuts like butter.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

Dr Snofeld posted:

As far as unique Shifter weapons go I love the Blackjack, which is actually better at breaking doors than the DTS in Shifter.

Nah, even Shifter's door-friendly DTS is still more destructive than the Blackjack.

The Blackjack does a base of 14 damage per strike, the DTS does 20 (although it hits 5 times). They both scale up with weapon skill and melee augs at the same rate, so the DTS is forever better. Specifically, with a level 4 melee aug and level 4 low-tech skill, the Blackjack does 42 damage per strike and the DTS does 60.

However, the Blackjack is better than most of the prototype nanoswords.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Male Man posted:

the DTS does 20 (although it hits 5 times).

Wait, what?

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
Does microfibral muscle increase melee damage?

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Shumagorath posted:

Wait, what?

Yeah, if you look at the stats of the dragon tooth it says "Base damage: 20 (x5)"

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme

Shumagorath posted:

Wait, what?

It's to keep the attack the same against people while stopping you from just hacking down every door and safe in the game with it, which the author considered game-breaking.

And then he put in explosive 10mm, which lets you blow down every door and safe, silently.

:iiam:

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

Well, I started this game with the best intentions. Explore every nook and cranny, don't kill any NSF, read every article, read every email. And for awhile, I was successful. On Liberty Island, I knocked out two people. That was the extent of my violence. (The fact that I played Liberty Island using my laptop trackpad probably forced me to even more low-key than I normally would have been). In Castle Clinton, I actually did the Subway station first, rescued the hostages, and only knocked out the NSF. In Hell's Kitchen I rescued the hostages at the Hilton hotel and I didn't kill the hostage takers. (But I slaughtered the MJ12). No other kills at all except for the MJ12.

Then the raid on the warehouse happened. I got all the way up to the roof of the warehouse without killing anybody. And then I planted a couple LAM grenades, tripped the alarm, and let 5 people get blown up, then mowed down more and more NSF's with the GEP gun, LAM grenades, and the Assault rifle as they continued to run up from the lower levels. On my return to UNATCO headquarters I didn't even read a newspaper, so I had no idea what Manderley was talking about when he said "don't talk to the press anymore!" (I knocked out the reported guy - Joe Greene - and threw him facedown in the bathroom, so I assume he wrote a nasty article. Also for some reason JC told the quartermaster that Castle Clinton was a bloodbath, even though I didn't kill anybody at all). I can't even remember my own login info for my computer - and I think I deleted the note that told me what it was.

Oh and I haven't found any augmentation canisters at all, except for the one at the top of Liberty Island.

I think I need to restart the game.

stratdax fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Apr 27, 2010

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables
I may have missed it being posted already, but is there a list of the hidden Shifter weapons and their locations somewhere? Google is totally failing me right now. :(

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006
Elaborately planned death traps always beat no-kill stealth runs. I can do liberty with zero knockouts/kills and no sightings but its way more fun to turn the turrets and drones against the soldiers or give Gunther the pistol and let him clean house. If you ever kill anyone in Deus Ex with your own bullets you are playing the game wrong. :colbert:

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

ArcMage posted:

It's to keep the attack the same against people while stopping you from just hacking down every door and safe in the game with it, which the author considered game-breaking.

And then he put in explosive 10mm, which lets you blow down every door and safe, silently.

:iiam:

so hold on, does that mean it hits 5 times against npcs, but once against inanimate objects?

Bishop Beo
Jul 3, 2009

Amethyst posted:

so hold on, does that mean it hits 5 times against npcs, but once against inanimate objects?

No, it means it makes 5 strikes at once, each with a damage of 20. This way you can't break a door with a minimum damage threshold of say, 50, with it.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
IIRC doesn't object damage only occur if the attack strength is above a certain level? Most likely it just hits 5 times ineffectively since it's only 20 damage.

efb :mad:

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

stratdax posted:

Well, I started this game with the best intentions. Explore every nook and cranny, don't kill any NSF, read every article, read every email. And for awhile, I was successful. On Liberty Island, I knocked out two people.
psst

if you were going for a nonlethal thing here, you have to knock out literally every NSF on Liberty because UNATCO slaughters everyone still standing

hth

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Is there any use for the plasma gun? I remember scoffing with disgust when I tried it in the unatco Bot Bay, it took 3 or 4 shots to kill a bot, when the gep gun did it in one. I assume it's good against humans, but they are easy enough to kill with conventional weapons.

In fact the GEP gun seems to be the best all round heavy weapon in the game, and it's hilarious that they give it to you in the first minute.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

Amethyst posted:

Is there any use for the plasma gun? I remember scoffing with disgust when I tried it in the unatco Bot Bay, it took 3 or 4 shots to kill a bot, when the gep gun did it in one. I assume it's good against humans, but they are easy enough to kill with conventional weapons.

In fact the GEP gun seems to be the best all round heavy weapon in the game, and it's hilarious that they give it to you in the first minute.
The GEP is the best heavy weapon and the first one you get

The plasma rifle is the worst heavy weapon and the last one you get

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.

Carbohydrates posted:

The GEP is the best heavy weapon and the first one you get

I made a guide to liberty island and getting the GEP gun for you guys.

Print it out and put it next to your monitor.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Commoners posted:

I made a guide to liberty island and getting the GEP gun for you guys.

Print it out and put it next to your monitor.

I don't get it.

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006

Amethyst posted:

I don't get it.

You get to pick one of three guns at the beginning of the game. Don't pick Torchic or Treecko.

UselessLurker
Apr 28, 2008
The other thing about Shifter that makes the door-friendly DTS make no sense is that he added in the best lockpick ever. Gunther's Skullgun, to be precise. It pretty much blows up almost any strength door and costs, at max upgrade, 25 energy. Which by the time you get it there's never a shortage of biocells or energy bots anyway.

Besides, there's more than enough GEP ammo in the game and little enough reason to really use it that you can just carry the drat thing around as an explosive lockpick.

UselessLurker fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Apr 27, 2010

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

UselessLurker posted:

The other thing about Shifter that makes the door-friendly DTS make no sense is that he added in the best lockpick ever. Gunther's Skullgun, to be precise. It pretty much blows up almost any strength door and costs, at max upgrade, 25 energy. Which by the time you get it there's never a shortage of biocells or energy bots anyway.

Besides, there's more than enough GEP ammo in the game and little enough reason to really use it that you can just carry the drat thing around as an explosive lockpick.

Isn't that a random drop though? God knows I've never seen it :mad:

But yeah, that's essentially what I did. Lockpicks in stealth mode, GEP when I needed to open something and didn't particularly give a gently caress.

Le Sean
Feb 18, 2006
Magazines call me a Rockstar, Girls call me Cockstar
Unless I'm tripping, the skull gun has always been in the vending machine Gunther was complaining in front of at UNATCO; as you are saying your goodbyes during your escape, make sure to stop by the machine and give it a fonzie love-tap.

bartkusa
Sep 25, 2005

Air, Fire, Earth, Hope

Le Sean posted:

Unless I'm tripping, the skull gun has always been in the vending machine Gunther was complaining in front of at UNATCO; as you are saying your goodbyes during your escape, make sure to stop by the machine and give it a fonzie love-tap.

There's a datacube somewhere from a med-tech saying "We opened a medical crate and found an orange soda. Wtf?"

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

stratdax posted:

Also for some reason JC told the quartermaster that Castle Clinton was a bloodbath, even though I didn't kill anybody at all).

Oh and I haven't found any augmentation canisters at all, except for the one at the top of Liberty Island.

for whatever reason, triggering the fight in the castle clinton courtyard will make the game think you went lethal, you can go non-lethal in Castle Clinton if you simply don't trigger the fight in the courtyard, which is easy if you get the code to the hidden entrance off the kid. The firefight in front of the metro station doesn't matter.

also don't worry about the augs, if you miss some, you'll get them later, the game usually gives you augs first in secret areas, followed by them appearing out in the open later.

if you really want to know, there are hidden augs in a safe inside an office in Castle Clinton, and down several floors in a nasty little maze area in the warehouse raid

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Apr 27, 2010

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Jump! You can make it!

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

How do you interrogate the NSF guy? Doesn't Simmons always get there first?

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

What's the time? It's DEFCON 1!

mp5 posted:

Jump! You can make it!

*splat*

What a shame.

Lordpen
Jul 14, 2004

Three Red Lights posted:

How do you interrogate the NSF guy? Doesn't Simmons always get there first?

Not if you skip talking to Manderley and just follow Simons down there.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Amethyst posted:

The GEP Gun is a very reliable Lockpick

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
I believe the GEP gun is hands-down the most useful item in the game. It opens doors and containers, it can destroy bots, it takes out cameras, laser sensors, and alarm consoles, it kills the poo poo out of people, and it can home!

I tried playing a sneaky, nonlethal game without the GEP once. It was miserable. The GEP gun is essential - it should really be standard issue to all UNATCO agents. "Here's your body armour, baggy coat, sunglasses, and GEP gun. Remember that a headshot is a lethal takedown."

Rex Deckard
Jul 15, 2004

Xander77 posted:

I'm 99% certain that Half-Life didn't do it "first".

The only thing that comes to mind right now is King's Quest 4, but I'm sure someone will come up with a better example.

If that matters.

2400 A.D. did it anytime you got captured. The fix was easy, but the that is probably the first time I can remember getting my stuff taken away in computer game.

And everyone has forgotten the best thing to do with Maggie Chow after you deal with her. Chuck her off the roof to the street. For some reason that drives the cops insane.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!
Seconding the BioMod love; it makes all the augs much much better and even improves on shifter.

Though it did make me accidentaly kill someone with a potted plant :(

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

The Supreme Court posted:

Though it did make me accidentally kill someone with a potted plant :cool:
Fixed.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Rex Deckard posted:

Chuck her off the roof to the street. For some reason that drives the cops insane.

Stun her and do it and nobody gives a poo poo, I tend to do that then bring her to the Lucky Money

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I always have the best of intentions, but in paris I ran around killing cops, stealing drugs and robbing houses. So much more fun that way.

Fnoigy
Apr 9, 2007

I'm fine. Why do you ask?

Woozy posted:

You get to pick one of three guns at the beginning of the game. Don't pick Torchic or Treecko.
Branch with the Treecko. We're still Poképolice.

Fnoigy fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Apr 27, 2010

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Bishop Beo posted:

No, it means it makes 5 strikes at once, each with a damage of 20. This way you can't break a door with a minimum damage threshold of say, 50, with it.

If you max the combat strength aug and the weapons low tech skill, you can break almost anything with it, turrets, cameras, and all but the hardest doors.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Angry Diplomat posted:

I believe the GEP gun is hands-down the most useful item in the game. It opens doors and containers, it can destroy bots, it takes out cameras, laser sensors, and alarm consoles, it kills the poo poo out of people, and it can home!

I tried playing a sneaky, nonlethal game without the GEP once. It was miserable. The GEP gun is essential - it should really be standard issue to all UNATCO agents. "Here's your body armour, baggy coat, sunglasses, and GEP gun. Remember that a headshot is a lethal takedown."

How often do you find youself using the GEP gun on nonlethal playthroughs? Do you find that the game provides enough rockets to use the GEP gun on a semi-regular bases to take out things that need taking out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

GreatGreen posted:

How often do you find youself using the GEP gun on nonlethal playthroughs? Do you find that the game provides enough rockets to use the GEP gun on a semi-regular bases to take out things that need taking out?

All the time, and oh god yes. If you keep an eye out for rockets, it's pretty hard to run out if you're just using them on bots and the occasional recalcitrant door. The GEP gun is basically a giant skeleton key with a built-in bot disabling function. As long as you don't frivolously fire it at everything until you have no ammunition left, it will consistently and repeatedly come in handy for taking out inconveniently placed cameras, turrets, or just about anything else.