Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

bad movie knight posted:

It's not a bad movie, but aside from its controversy, I can't think of a single reason why Criterion would include it.

Yes, completely.

But it was still a huge let down when I saw it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

FishBulb posted:

Yes, completely.

But it was still a huge let down when I saw it.
It also seems hilariously tame nowadays for a movie that's only -- what? -- thirty years old?

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
It holds an especially disappointing place in my heart because my buddy and quested to find it for a couple years in the late 90s, eventually buying a terrible overpriced bootleg on VHS at the SD Comic Con. Should have learned my lesson about believing hype.

Schlitzkrieg Bop
Sep 19, 2005

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Alright, so why isn't Mad Max 2 a Criterion film? Or, as long as we're naming bad films, why is Armageddon Criterion but not ID4? It's a pretty good question that I don't think has ever been explained adequately.

Well for one, Mad Max 2 and Armageddon are two totally different movies from two different eras. And it's not like Criterion needs to explain why they release each DVD. I guess I come at it from a different angle than a lot of people do because Criterion DVDs never necessarily indicated the movie itself was great, but rather that it was something notable worth some serious analysis.

Armageddon is a bad movie, but it's not the only bad movie in Criterion's library. I don't know what goes on behind the scenes at Criterion, but when you take into account a) films available to them that they could feasibly secure the rights to, that b) gave them enough material for the fairly hefty DVD packages they like to do, Armageddon might have been a better choice than a lot of the movies people have in mind.

Of course, I've also heard that they didn't necessarily pick Armageddon and The Rock so much as the studios came to them and asked them to make DVDs for those movies, so maybe that's the reason. Even still, if the movies were "forced" on them like that, they still did really awesome packages for both.

Schlitzkrieg Bop fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Apr 27, 2010

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

I would rather re-watch Armageddon over Jubilee or Sweet Movie any day.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

FitFortDanga posted:

I would rather re-watch Armageddon over Jubilee or Sweet Movie any day.

Ditto Life Aquatic, The Night Porter, Shoot the Piano Player and Chasing Amy

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

penismightier posted:

Ditto Life Aquatic, The Night Porter, Shoot the Piano Player and Chasing Amy

I'll agree with you on Night Porter and I'm equally indifferent toward Chasing Amy. But I'd rather watch Life Aquatic even though it's my least favorite Wes Anderson film. And Shoot the Piano Player? You are a bad person with no soul.

Schlitzkrieg Bop
Sep 19, 2005

I'd rather watch Armageddon three times in a row than ever watch Salò again.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I swear Aliens and Wrath of Khan have the same soundtrack in places.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

twistedmentat posted:

I swear Aliens and Wrath of Khan have the same soundtrack in places.

Wolfen, too. James Horner steals from himself all the time.

John Williams, on the other hand, steals from others - besides the famous Star Wars example, ET totally uses the Young Mr. Lincoln theme and I think I'm going crazy because nobody has ever mentioned this.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Akuma posted:

I watched Kick-rear end last night, and it got me thinking; how often do films use pieces of music from another film's score? I'm sure it must happen a decent amount, but I'm drawing a complete blank.

Goodfellas uses score from Le Mepris, which is an absolutely beautiful, melancholy piece.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
Isn't most of the soundtrack to The Truman Show made up of Philip Glass tracks from Koyaaniqatsi or however you spell that?

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
Got two stupid questions not really related to movies but rather to DVDs (and other forms of media, I guess):

1) Why is showing of DVDs on oil rigs prohibited? It seems like a weird inclusion in the license warning.

2) Why do a lot of movies lack subtitles for songs lately? I remember there were very thorough subtitles, as in Closed Captions, for VHS cassettes - Reservoir Dogs had "Stuck in the Middle with you" and the radio chatter subbed, Jackie Brown had "Across 110th Street" and nearly everything else subbed, and the list goes on.

Is it a license thing? Or are Closed Captions just generally better? It seems German subtitles are particularly bad, and European English subtitles seem to be better sometimes - they sometimes show lyrics, and sometimes they don't. I watched a NTSC version of The Wire, and the Closed Captions you activated with the player were much better (in implementation and thoroughness) than the subtitles you activated from within the DVD's menu.

It also seems irrelevant whether or not the subs are for the hard of hearing or not, sometimes HoH subs will have sounds pointed out, and sometimes they'll have lyrics shown, but it never is really coherent. For example Watchmen on BR (UK version) has HoH subs but only shows the name of the song that's playing, nothing else.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Akuma posted:

I watched Kick-rear end last night, and it got me thinking; how often do films use pieces of music from another film's score? I'm sure it must happen a decent amount, but I'm drawing a complete blank.

Most or all of the score in Man on Wire is cribbed from Michael Nyman's scores from various Peter Greenaway flicks (Drowning By Numbers, The Draughtman's Contract, et cetera). Apparently the director wanted to hire Nyman to compose a new score but couldn't afford him.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Zwille posted:

1) Why is showing of DVDs on oil rigs prohibited? It seems like a weird inclusion in the license warning.

Oil rigs showings are classed as non-theatrical exploitation, which is treated separately from home video (sell-through or rental). Non-theatrical is usually handled alongside theatrical, which usually treats revenues and expenses differently from home video.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Akuma posted:

Shaw Brothers films often share music, probably just to cut costs (*). They also cribbed the siren sound effect from "Ironside" for "King Boxer" and then Tarantino used that same sound effect in "Kill Bill", so the circle was completed when a western director stole the sound effect from the Asian director who had stolen that same sound effect from the west.

I also believe that there are low budget Italian films that pilfer soundtracks from American films, but I can't immediately recall any examples.

(*) Shaw Brothers films also often share not only music, but entire sets. If you watch a lot of their films you start to recognize sets between films which is odd but some critics like Bey Logan will argue that it actually makes a fan of their films feel sort of "at home" when you start constantly seeing the same set.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

InfiniteZero posted:

(*) Shaw Brothers films also often share not only music, but entire sets. If you watch a lot of their films you start to recognize sets between films which is odd but some critics like Bey Logan will argue that it actually makes a fan of their films feel sort of "at home" when you start constantly seeing the same set.

This also happened frequently under the old Hollywood studio system. You spend a lot of money on a set, you want to get the most out of it.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Most of that Shaw Bros music is stock/library music anyway.

Kentucky Shark posted:

Well for one, Mad Max 2 and Armageddon are two totally different movies from two different eras. And it's not like Criterion needs to explain why they release each DVD. I guess I come at it from a different angle than a lot of people do because Criterion DVDs never necessarily indicated the movie itself was great, but rather that it was something notable worth some serious analysis.

Noting that a movie is worth serious analysis is a pretty substantial qualitative judgement, I just always thought there was something a little shameless and senseless about anoiting Armageddon with the Criterion label.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
In Extract, was Willie just another one of Mila Kuniz's cons or what? For some reason it's really bugging me, kind of like how they poorly wrapped up her story as well.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

FitFortDanga posted:

This also happened frequently under the old Hollywood studio system. You spend a lot of money on a set, you want to get the most out of it.

Are the reused sets very recognizable in those films? I don't do a lot of these films myself so I've never noticed this. With Shaw Brothers films, the sets are often barely changed between films (there's a dining room/restaurant set that I think gets used in almost every film and it is instantly recognizable, for example).

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

InfiniteZero posted:

Are the reused sets very recognizable in those films? I don't do a lot of these films myself so I've never noticed this. With Shaw Brothers films, the sets are often barely changed between films (there's a dining room/restaurant set that I think gets used in almost every film and it is instantly recognizable, for example).

I don't notice it unless it's pointed out to me. On the featurette for Dangerous Crossing they showed how it was the exact same ship as Titanic (the 1953 version, of course) and Gentlemen Prefer Blondes. It would have been really obvious if you were looking for it.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

If they're iconic they really jump out at you. The steps that Rod Taylor teaches the Eloi to write on in The Time Machine are the steps Burgess Meredith breaks his glasses on in The Twilight Zone.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

The Woman in the Moon re-uses the cavern set from Metropolis, as well as Freder's apartment. You'd think the money saved would have kept them from using a painfully fake-looking cut-out for a rocket later in the film.

Sizzlechest
May 7, 2007
The set for Silverado was built for this movie and has since been used in such movies as Young Guns (1988), Wyatt Earp (1994), Last Man Standing (1996/I), "Lonesome Dove" (1989), All the Pretty Horses (2000) and Wild Wild West (1999). In Wild Wild West "Kasdan Ironworks" can be seen on the side of one of the buildings as a reference to Lawrence Kasdan.

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

qntm posted:

Isn't most of the soundtrack to The Truman Show made up of Philip Glass tracks from Koyaaniqatsi or however you spell that?
No, but it uses a few other Philip Glass tracks.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.

qntm posted:

From Wikipedia:

quote:

The original music for The Truman Show was composed by Burkhard Dallwitz. Dallwitz was hired after Peter Weir received a tape of his work while in Australia for the post-production. Some parts of the soundtrack were composed by Philip Glass, including four pieces which appeared in his previous works (Powaqqatsi, Anima Mundi, and Mishima). Glass also appears very briefly in the film as one of the in-studio composer/performers.

Also featured in the film are Frederic Chopin's "Romance-Larghetto" from his first piano concerto, performed by Arthur Rubinstein, Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart's "Rondo Alla Turca" from his Piano Sonata No. 11 in A Major, performed by Wilhelm Kempff, Wojciech Kilar's "Father Kolbe's Preaching" performed by the Orchestra Philharmonique National de Pologne and "20th Century Boy" performed by rockabilly band The Big Six.

That soundtrack is definitely one of my favourites, particularly this.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

FitFortDanga posted:

Hammer did this a lot too.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
The Aliens set was later turned into Axis Chemicals in Batman

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Westworld and Blazing Saddles use the same generic western town set.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Dark City and The Matrix, in addition to sharing similar themes and twists, shared a few sets as well, particularly the sloped rooftops that Trinity flees across in the opening of The Matrix.

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

One can hardly ignore the Taoist implications of "Fuck it, Dude. Let's go bowling."

Fairly famously, wasn't the lab in Young Frankenstein the original lab set from Frankenstein?

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

ClydeUmney posted:

Fairly famously, wasn't the lab in Young Frankenstein the original lab set from Frankenstein?

The set wasn't (it was built to match then needs of the film itself) but most of the props were, so the essence of the lab set from the original was there, with 100% more Mel Brooks shaped gargoyle faces.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Akuma posted:

Latest one I can remember is some Danny Elfman music appearing in Hellboy II that was used in the Burton Planet of the Apes. Although it might have only been in deleted scenes.

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
In Caché, what is the point of the scene where Georges and Anne are throwing a dinner party, and one of their guests tells a joke about an old woman telling him that he looks like her old dog? Every scene in the movie is very meticulously placed and framed by Haneke...this is the only one I don't see fitting in, so I must be missing something.

The only thing I can think of is that in the guy's story, the dog gets hit in the neck by a truck and dies. After this story, Georges gets ding dong ditched and finds another tape. It's wrapped in a piece of paper with a drawing of a rooster bleeding from the neck, dead. It's a connection of sorts, but it doesn't really say much. I know the film is understated in general, but I just don't get this scene.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I just thought that scene was in there because of the Michael Haneke's notorious hatred of animals.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

boeman posted:

In Caché, what is the point of the scene where Georges and Anne are throwing a dinner party, and one of their guests tells a joke about an old woman telling him that he looks like her old dog? Every scene in the movie is very meticulously placed and framed by Haneke...this is the only one I don't see fitting in, so I must be missing something.

The only thing I can think of is that in the guy's story, the dog gets hit in the neck by a truck and dies. After this story, Georges gets ding dong ditched and finds another tape. It's wrapped in a piece of paper with a drawing of a rooster bleeding from the neck, dead. It's a connection of sorts, but it doesn't really say much. I know the film is understated in general, but I just don't get this scene.

Pretty sure it's just to be an unexpected scare. You're lured into this story and then he loudly starts barking outta nowhere. When I saw it in the theater I remember that part being pretty loud.

Dr. Video Games 0069
Jan 1, 2006

nice dolphin, nigga

Factor Mystic posted:

Continuing the huge Triangle spoilers you definitely should not read:

My questions are:
- How many Jesses are on the Aeolus. I think it's three- The one that killed the masked Jess; the one that ends up watching things from the lower deck; and the one that ends up watching things from the upper deck. (This is not counting the one that's coming off the capsized boat, replacing the masked on just killed). If this is the case-
Possibly more, because we see two different versions of the end of the axe duel, implying I think that there were at least 4 Jess's at a time, although we only see three iterations from the main Jess's perspective. Maybe one is left over on the boat as the final survivor until Jess Prime returns to land and then boards the yacht again? The idea I think is that however many times Jess escapes the time loop on the boat, she is still caught in a larger loop that eventually takes her back to the boat. The main failure of the movie I think is that while we clearly see that Jess can change things, we are left unsure whether her changes will eventually allow her to escape, and if not, what exactly is it that keeps her trapped. If it's guilt over her relationship with her son, why does attempting to rectify this not close the loop? In my estimation it doesn't work as an existential concept any more than as a logical construct like Timecrimes.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

And where does the one in the ballroom go, when she threatens her with the gun? Hmm.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Why is "The Unforgiven" considered a "revisionist" Western?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butthole Prince
Nov 19, 2004

She said that she was working for the ABC News / It was as much of the alphabet as she knew how to use.
Does that guy in the Western primer thread go into the movie at all? You'd probably find the best explanation there.

I think it has to do with how the hero is the opposite of what we had come to expect from previous Westerns. Instead of riding off into the sunset at the end, he murders a bunch of people and then threatens to come back and kill everyone and their families, etc.