Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fnoigy
Apr 9, 2007

I'm fine. Why do you ask?

Angry Diplomat posted:

All the time, and oh god yes. If you keep an eye out for rockets, it's pretty hard to run out if you're just using them on bots and the occasional recalcitrant door. The GEP gun is basically a giant skeleton key with a built-in bot disabling function. As long as you don't frivolously fire it at everything until you have no ammunition left, it will consistently and repeatedly come in handy for taking out inconveniently placed cameras, turrets, or just about anything else.
You show a disturbing lack of compassion for your robotic brethren.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weedle
May 31, 2006

stratdax posted:

I can't even remember my own login info for my computer - and I think I deleted the note that told me what it was.

jcdenton
bionicman

It's burned into my brain.

Carbohydrates posted:

psst

if you were going for a nonlethal thing here, you have to knock out literally every NSF on Liberty because UNATCO slaughters everyone still standing

hth

As far as I'm concerned, a nonlethal run means the player doesn't kill anyone. Everyone else can kill who they want.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

When I was playing yesterday I noticed something I've never seen before. If you investigate the research labs under VersaLife in Hong Kong, you can see Maggie Chow talking to Bob Page about their secret plans. They even mention you, but in a dismissive way.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Weedle posted:

When I was playing yesterday I noticed something I've never seen before. If you investigate the research labs under VersaLife in Hong Kong, you can see Maggie Chow talking to Bob Page about their secret plans. They even mention you, but in a dismissive way.

I see that every time. Always wish I could go through the glass and murder them, of course.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

silvergoose posted:

I see that every time. Always wish I could go through the glass and murder them, of course.

I wish I could get their attention somehow to see them flip out.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
The best part about the GEP gun is that you don't need to level the heavy weapon skill at all, it still kills from miles away.

What happens if you don't assassinate that jounalist guy...Greene in the free clinic?

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Angry Diplomat posted:

All the time, and oh god yes. If you keep an eye out for rockets, it's pretty hard to run out if you're just using them on bots and the occasional recalcitrant door. The GEP gun is basically a giant skeleton key with a built-in bot disabling function. As long as you don't frivolously fire it at everything until you have no ammunition left, it will consistently and repeatedly come in handy for taking out inconveniently placed cameras, turrets, or just about anything else.

Huh. You know, I haven't even fired mine this playthrough so far (stealth run, but lethal as gently caress). I just got to Hong Kong though, so I probably still have some decent opportunities left. Looks like I'll start using it more often!

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Apr 27, 2010

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Weedle posted:

I wish I could get their attention somehow to see them flip out.

LAM on the glass, GEP to the LAM. Maybe a gas grenade could work as well.

Most likely it won't do anything, but it'd be hilarious if it gibbed them there and then only for them to pop up again later.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

Leathal posted:

I may have missed it being posted already, but is there a list of the hidden Shifter weapons and their locations somewhere? Google is totally failing me right now. :(

I posted a list earlier, but it didn't have every location. Here's the complete list:

Blackjack: Unique Baton. If you stay nonlethal up until you hit Hell's Kitchen then it'll show up in Paul's apartment. It does drastically boosted damage (I think around 14) and the only downside is that it can't be thrown. The Shifter change-log indicates that if you kill someone early and miss out on the Blackjack, you'll get access to two extra boxes of Explosive 10mm later on.

Toxin Blade: Unique Combat Knife. Underneath Smuggler's pillow the first time you visit Hell's Kitchen. It's essentially identical to the weapon of the same name in Invisible War, inflicting a "stun" effect on each blow, allowing you to easily stab lone enemies to death without fear of retaliation.

Magnum: Unique Pistol. It's on the back of Lebedev's bed. It does more damage but makes more noise. Mysteriously, it still uses 10mm ammo. Note that it will never be powerful enough (except if you're loading explosive bullets) to break cameras.

Lo Bruto: Unique Stealth Pistol. Carried (and used) by Jojo Fine. It's stats are a little tweaked around from the base stealth pistol. In particular, I believe that it does more damage and is slightly more accurate but has a smaller magazine capacity and more recoil. Makes for an excellent sniper pistol.

Prototype Nanoswords: Unique swords (that means they only take 3 spaces in your inventory). Mk I can be found on the person of the MiB in the MJ12 biolab underneath UNATCO. You must knock him unconscious to get it (easy with a stun prod). Mk II on corpse of Versalife employee in collapsed Canal Road tunnel. Mk III on the desk in Captain's Quarters of the Wall Cloud. They all behave largely like the DTS: doing damage multiple times per swing.

The Mk I and Mk II have an interesting property: their damage is unstable. As you wave them around, you may notice that the glow effect will change in intensity. This directly corresponds to the damage done. The Mk I does 8 base damage always, but the glow indicates the number of times it hits. No glow: 1x. Light glow: 5x. Full glow: 15x! The Mk I shifts states very quickly. The Mk II always hits 5 times, but its base damage changes. Light glow: 8 damage. Full glow: 15 damage. The glow doesn't change very quickly. The Mk III is stable at 14 (x5).

Boomstick: Unique Sawed-Off Shotgun. Found in Jock's apartment. Big damage, big recoil, 'nuff said. I believe that it can blow up cameras with enough skill and some sabot slugs.

Jackhammer: Unique Assault Shotgun. Found in the security bot hatch in Smuggler's place the last time you can visit. Fires extremely rapidly (about 10 shots a second). Great if you like overkill.

Precision Rifle: Unique Sniper Rifle. Found in the shack on top of the skyscraper in Paris Jock drops you on. Fast firing and equipped with an infrared scope (which is incompatible with the targeting aug's expanded functionality). Beware: it can't shoot out cameras.

Railgun: Unique Plasma Rifle. Can be found in the arms dealer's house in Paris or carried by Simons in Area 51. Fires a coherent beam of plasma through walls and people. Comes equipped with a scope that lets you peer through solid objects (also incompatible with the targeting aug). It eats 4 units of plasma ammo per shot and has to be reloaded each time.

I-LAW: Unique GEP gun. Found in Hell's Kitchen's sewers, underneath the boulder blocking off the MJ12 facility during your third visit. It's the size and shape of an assault shotgun, and is just as maneuverable. It carries 4 rockets in a magazine. Fires special light rockets (that can be picked off of the corpses of MJ12 commandos. Take note: these have no homing properties. Far less damaging than the GEP gun (less than 1/3 the damage), but ammo is everywhere. It'll still blow through most doors (all of them at trained skill and above), but it has trouble with 'bots. It takes 2-3 rockets to take out a "chicken-walker" security bot, and likely much more to defeat a milbot. Don't try comparing it to a LAM, either: the LAM is way more damaging than the label says. It still kills the hell out of anything made of meat, though.

Shifter's author is going to hate me for this. He really doesn't want this list circling around. So do him (and yourself) a favor; if you haven't made a pretty good effort to find these yourself, don't mouse over this list. These are meant to be rewards for exploration, so explore.

newsomnuke
Feb 25, 2007

silvergoose posted:

I've heard people say that you can. There's actually a gap in the glass which is there to let the sound propagate, and some people claim it's possible to snipe them. But then the game crashes when it next needs to load Bob, because it's not expecting him to be dead. I've not seen it done, though.

Rex Deckard posted:

And everyone has forgotten the best thing to do with Maggie Chow after you deal with her. Chuck her off the roof to the street. For some reason that drives the cops insane.
Nah, the best thing to do with Maggie is to set her alight, and she'll often run straight out of the window.

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector
I must say that setting people on fire with flare darts has become my favorite part of shifter.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Who else likes to install the safe-fall leg upgrades so you can jump out the window after finishing the NSF HQ in New York and skip dealing with all of the guards? That is if you didn't knock them all out beforehand

Weedle
May 31, 2006

I always have the leg aug by the time I defect from UNATCO, but for some reason I missed it in my current playthrough. I have no idea how.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!

Weedle posted:

I always have the leg aug by the time I defect from UNATCO, but for some reason I missed it in my current playthrough. I have no idea how.

I've been doing a sneaky/nonlethal playthrough and I've just realised I missed it; it's at the bottom of Jojo's warehouse. If Walton Simons has started interviewing the NSF prisoners, you're too late. :(

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Xander77 posted:

:cool:

(Should totally be made a board smiley as :jcdenton: )

e; VVV joke un-ruined, thanks.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Apr 27, 2010

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Ansob. posted:

e; my joke is ruined by loving waffleimages being down and SA blocking every other image host. Thanks, forums. :argh:

http://imgur.com/

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

tadashi posted:

Who else likes to install the safe-fall leg upgrades so you can jump out the window after finishing the NSF HQ in New York and skip dealing with all of the guards? That is if you didn't knock them all out beforehand

It's better in Vandenberg - GEP the bots, jump off the roof with comedy legs. Job done, time taken: a few reloads of the GEP.

Weedle posted:

It's in Jaime's closet the second time you go back to UNATCO. Possibly the third.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
gently caress that, we need a JC Tenton emoticon where he eats a chocolate bar and then adjusts his sunglasses.

My appetite is augmented.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Does Paul always tell you that you "killed a lot of people tonight" after finishing Liberty Island, regardless of kill count? I've never gotten him to say anything different. Does only the prod count as non-lethal for his dialogue or something?

Mathemagician
Aug 21, 2003

tell me some more
He says "you're doing good so far" if you baton/prod/crossbow everybody

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Mr_Person posted:

Does Paul always tell you that you "killed a lot of people tonight" after finishing Liberty Island, regardless of kill count? I've never gotten him to say anything different. Does only the prod count as non-lethal for his dialogue or something?
I got him to approve of my methods after crossbowing everyone I could get my hands on, but later on I believe he disapproved of cleaning out Castle Clinton with several LAMs and a dead child.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I knew I bought this Xonar DX for something! EAX emulation actually works!

... the card is even named DX :v:

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Apr 27, 2010

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
On that same note, is there any way to resolve the hostage situation in the Battery Park subway station without gas grenades? I was forced to sneak into the overhead air duct and cap a bunch of heads with a silenced pistol because there was no other LTL solution, even though I vaguely remember my 15-year-old self solving the situation relatively peacefully. Maybe I'm crazy.

Mathemagician
Aug 21, 2003

tell me some more
If you sneak around the whole station and go to the back of it, then avoid the nsf guy that patrols near there, you can talk to one of the hostages, then open the subway door and they'll get on. Or maybe you can just open the subway door without talking to them first, I dunno.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

On that same note, is there any way to resolve the hostage situation in the Battery Park subway station without gas grenades? I was forced to sneak into the overhead air duct and cap a bunch of heads with a silenced pistol because there was no other LTL solution, even though I vaguely remember my 15-year-old self solving the situation relatively peacefully. Maybe I'm crazy.
You can dart them one by one and run away when they return fire. As long as you don't cross the beams you will not endanger the hostages. The NSF also tend to pass out in one long line along the subway platform too.

Usually I take all the TNT crates into a vent and blow them just to be sure.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

On that same note, is there any way to resolve the hostage situation in the Battery Park subway station without gas grenades?

Step one: snipe (with crossbow or some kind of actual gun) at least one of the guys guarding the stairs. The others will either run off or start shooting you. If they start shooting you they're sitting ducks.

Step two: when no more are in sight, go down to the barricade. Get a box nearby so you can jump back onto it if needs be. Shoot anyone you can from on top of it, otherwise move down and get the rest of them (they will tend to run into LoS).

Step three: EMP grenade, or go through the vents. There may be one still hanging around.

It's really really easy. I can't remember failing it without going out of my way to do it the fast way (shoot one of the TNTs)

HardCorey
Jan 11, 2010

Weedle posted:

Is it possible to NOT defect?
I'm playing for the first time and I'm trying to be a loyal UNATCO soldier. I go back to Paul and tell him, "no dice, I'm going to Hong Kong." but then the helicopter isn't on the roof anymore.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
Best hostage solution: Sneak into the top of the shafts above the subway and snipe the nsf with the tranq dart. They'll notice you, but won't be able to hit you much if you just sneak back into the duct occasionally. After they are all gone, talk to the hostages. Then leave, throwing a lam behind you to detonate all the tnt and kill the hostages. Paul flips out.

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

Is Jojo's warehouse the same one as the NSF generator? I just got to that part last night and would really like my super legs since I have never, ever found that aug cannister in my dozens of prior play throughs. :smith:

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!

Turnquiet posted:

Is Jojo's warehouse the same one as the NSF generator? I just got to that part last night and would really like my super legs since I have never, ever found that aug cannister in my dozens of prior play throughs. :smith:

Yus indeed. It's in a safe in the room in the very basement, surrounded by cameras, laser triplines, turrets and soldiers. An absolute bitch to get when you're trying not to kill anyone :(

On the plus side, you get to lock Walton Simons in a cupboard when you get back to HQ.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

HardCorey posted:

Is it possible to NOT defect?
I'm playing for the first time and I'm trying to be a loyal UNATCO soldier. I go back to Paul and tell him, "no dice, I'm going to Hong Kong." but then the helicopter isn't on the roof anymore.

Yeah, you gotta side with the NSF on this one I'm afraid. They didn't create a whole other storyline for if you side with the bad guys.

You know what does? The Nameless Mod.

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Don't go through the front door, just use the ventilation grates - there's an unlocked one in one of those little shacks. Use a tranq dart from the upper ventilation ducts, or go to the lower, ground level ducts, sneak out, tase one guy, sneak back in to the duct, rinse repeat.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

On that same note, is there any way to resolve the hostage situation in the Battery Park subway station without gas grenades?

If you don't mind baiting the AI, go down the main subway entrance. Tranq as many as you can, then for any remaining ones, wait for them to go patrol then attract the attention of the nearest by firing a regular dart near him. If you crouch on the edge of the wall of boxes, just by the corner, so they can't see you, they'll run upstairs then you can baton them into submission one at a time as they emerge past the corner.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Amethyst posted:

The best part about the GEP gun is that you don't need to level the heavy weapon skill at all, it still kills from miles away.

Mid to late game, getting one level is a good idea. The lock-on becomes faster and more reliable, it reloads faster, and some of the bigger robots go down in one hit instead of two.

Protip: normally, wielding a heavy gun makes you walk and turn like a snail, but crouching negates this.

quote:

What happens if you don't assassinate that jounalist guy...Greene in the free clinic?

Nothing.

Gynovore fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Apr 28, 2010

Ohio State BOOniversity
Mar 3, 2008

Ohio State BOOniversity fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Dec 28, 2015

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006

tadashi posted:

If this is the area I'm thinking of, my favorite way to clear it is to throw the TNT crate off of the top level, then jump down off the side using the aug. It will explode at the bottom and blow up a shitload of gas barrels, taking out pretty much everyone. Mopping up with the stealth pistol afterwards is easy if you need to.

This one of my favorite :hellyeah: moments in the whole game.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
I'm trying out Biomod's new Spy Drone. I haven't had the chance to do much of its new interaction stuff (it can only read datacubes at lvl2, use switches at 3 and hack at 4) but a level 3 drone stops one of those chicken-legged robots in its tracks with fairly minimal energy cost. Though that may have been the case in vanilla DX too.

Fnoigy
Apr 9, 2007

I'm fine. Why do you ask?
Most of the time for me, unless I slaughter every NSF terrorist in the subway as fast as I can, one of them will run through the laser grid. It's pretty rare that I get their attention and they don't immediately bolt to set off the explosives. Not sure what I'm doing wrong every time.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Aren't they immune to the laser grid?

I've also never gotten the fire extinguisher to make lasers scatter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

I just started a new Realistic difficulty pacifist run with Shifter. I made it to Hell's Kitchen and took care of the situation in the 'Ton, and now the UNATCO troops out in the streets are just spontaneously falling to the ground unconscious as I walk past. :psyduck: They're also dropping weird loot, such as swords, zyme, and GEP guns. I'll try to record a video if it keeps happening because this is weird as hell.