Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

Zool posted:

That's really interesting, because I'm the opposite. I do my best wheelies after I do a bunch of coke.
Doesn't that give you coke-nose?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Zool posted:

I do my best wheelies after I do a bunch of coke.

Can this be CA's tagline?

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Probably the same reason I ride slower at night - in the morning, you're awake, alert, and have snappy reflexes. When you've been up all day, you're tired, worn out, and moving slower.

AKA yeah it's the cokenose

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

My new DRZ has the 3x3 mod but was otherwise returned to stock by the PO. I'm considering doing an exhaust and a jet kit. I'm not really hurting for power at this point as this is my first bike - I'd just like something that sounds better than the stock pipe.

Do I have options other than MRD/SSW (seems like clearly the best performance and price, but I'm a little worried about the noise doing all city driving as I hear it's ridiculously loud) or just leaving it stock? I've been looking at an FMF Q4 slip-on instead. Is that really going to be that much quieter than the MRD/SSW while still sounding badass, or should I just stick with the stock system if I'm at all worried about noise?

Will that pipe, as a slip-on, do anything at all for performance or would I be just blowing all my money on the sound? Should I still bother getting a jet kit with the slip-on?

Jharkov
Feb 26, 2008

by Ozma
Ive just removed the pipe on my BMW and gone back to stock.
Loving the stealth sound of this exhaust. 86DB at 4000rpm. just awesome.
feel like im riding an electric bike with the unique tingle sound from the BMW Rotax engine.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Man_of_Teflon posted:

My new DRZ has the 3x3 mod but was otherwise returned to stock by the PO. I'm considering doing an exhaust and a jet kit. I'm not really hurting for power at this point as this is my first bike - I'd just like something that sounds better than the stock pipe.

Do I have options other than MRD/SSW (seems like clearly the best performance and price, but I'm a little worried about the noise doing all city driving as I hear it's ridiculously loud) or just leaving it stock? I've been looking at an FMF Q4 slip-on instead. Is that really going to be that much quieter than the MRD/SSW while still sounding badass, or should I just stick with the stock system if I'm at all worried about noise?

Will that pipe, as a slip-on, do anything at all for performance or would I be just blowing all my money on the sound? Should I still bother getting a jet kit with the slip-on?

Don't buy a slipon for the DRZ if you buy a pipe at all. The stock headers are hilariously restrictive, its one of the few bikes where switching out the full exhaust system can make a noticable difference. The slipon will do nothing but make your bike sound louder, and doesn't save that much money comparatively. Yoshimura also makes a few ok exhausts for the DRZ, though the MRD/SSW is supposed to be the best.

Also, price per performance the FCR-39 carb is a much better deal.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

pr0zac posted:

Don't buy a slipon for the DRZ if you buy a pipe at all. The stock headers are hilariously restrictive, its one of the few bikes where switching out the full exhaust system can make a noticable difference. The slipon will do nothing but make your bike sound louder, and doesn't save that much money comparatively. Yoshimura also makes a few ok exhausts for the DRZ, though the MRD/SSW is supposed to be the best.

Also, price per performance the FCR-39 carb is a much better deal.

The only thing I'd add is that the E model has a much less restrictive header, so if you want more power with the same sound, an E model swap can open up a little more power. The flatslide is where it's at though, much better than an exhaust. Adds a nice intake noise too.

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

Looks like I'll just leave it stock for now and when I really get the itch for noise/performance (and have more $$$) I'll just do the MRD/SSW + FCR at the same time.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Man_of_Teflon posted:

Looks like I'll just leave it stock for now and when I really get the itch for noise/performance (and have more $$$) I'll just do the MRD/SSW + FCR at the same time.

It's like a brand new motorcycle. It's seriously absurd how much the flatslide improves things. Even with the stock exhaust.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I aint lying when I tell people the flatslide is like an engine swap.

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

I have another question now. I just cleaned and lubed my chain for the first time today. There are a couple small rust spots on a couple outside sides of a few links, and I found one link pair that was noticeably much less flexible.

How quickly should I move to get a new chain? The rest of the chain looks great, is hella flexible etc.

edit: looking at the pictures I took, dang it seems I did a crappy job of cleaning. I scrubbed the poo poo out of everything with a grunge brush using the thin lube I had as a cleaner, but there was a lot of hard thick dark almost tar like sludge on the chain.

Click here for the full 1600x1200 image.

Man_of_Teflon fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Apr 27, 2010

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Keep an eye on that link, maybe hit it with some extra lube and try and get it to loosen back up. Probably a lost cause, and I'd replace the chain sooner rather than later.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Doctor Zero posted:

Why do they do that (put the foot out)?

Here's some good basic supermoto riding technique explanation I found.

Supermoto Canada posted:

-If you just ride your 'motard on the road then you can simply ride it like any other bike, but if you want to get the most out of your bike, or you want to go racing, then there are some basic techniques that are worth practising.

The first one is just where to sit. Under heavy acceleration, especially on wet or slippery surfaces, you need to get as much weight over the rear wheel as possible. To do this sit as far back on your seat as possible. Obviously this means you're taking a lot of weight off the front of your bike, but as the front wheel has little to do while accelerating this isn't a problem. Going into a corner, on the other hand, is another matter entirely. Just before you hit the brakes, slide your body right up to the tank so that you've got as much weight going into the front tire's contact patch as possible. Yes, this can mean you're more likely to pull a 'rolling stoppie' into the corner but just as the front tire does very little under acceleration, the rear tire does very little under braking. This seating position should also be used on aggressive standing starts.

Now we come to the best thing about riding a supermotard bike - sliding it into corners. If you ride a two-stroke 'motard you'll find this technique very difficult indeed, but on four-strokes it's actually pretty easy ... once you've got over the fear of sliding a bike around, anyway, as it goes against every road rider's idea of how to ride. The first thing you need to do is find a nice quiet road with little, if any, traffic that, preferably, has a side road for you to slide in to. Now, ride up to the corner and take the racing line into it. Hopefully this corner is a first or second gear turn. If it isn't take a line in to it that makes it one as you don't won't to be going too fast at this point. When you're happy with your racing line, again race up to this corner, but this time leave your braking until pretty late so that you're taking the turn in a racing manner. As you approach the turn you want to be in at least one gear higher than you need. As you hit the brakes (both of them, not just the front) select the gear for the corner and then release the clutch lever - no going through each separate gear or blipping the throttle between changes ala road racing - and you should feel the rear start to slide controllably.

You shouldn't need much rear brake as you want the wheel to continue to turn as it slides sideways. If you feel the rear wheel juddering (you'll instantly recognise the feeling if/when it happens) then you're in too low a gear for your entry speed - feather the clutch slightly and it will go away. And that's it. Overcome your fear of sliding, add a little practise and you too can look like Stephane Chambon. Hey, I said look, not be as quick as...

There's one more thing to talk about now and that's how to stick your foot out while cornering. Yes, I know it seems stupid but there are a couple of things to remember if you do it. The first thing is not to dig your foot into the floor as you corner - your foot should be above the surface and only touch down if the bike slides. You also want to make absolutely certain that your foot is pointing the same way you're travelling, which is the same direction your front wheel is pointing. If you do have a slide you want your foot to kick the bike up, but you also want your leg to only move in its natural plain of travel. If your foot's pointing slightly sideways then, if you're unlucky, your foot could grip the surface and twist in an unnatural direction that can end in anything from a sore ankle or knee to utterly shattering your leg. And because the break's caused by a sideways force you're not just looking at a bad break, but a spiral break which is the type of injury that almost cost multi World GP500 Champion Mick Doohan his leg. And don't forget to make sure your toes are hard against the engine casings when you put your foot back on the pegs as you don't want them digging into the tarmac if you loose control just after the apex or if you hit one of the conveniently placed tire/hay bale walls as this could also result in your foot being spun sideways with the same possible results as mentioned above.

I made the switch on the track because the fast guys do it... and when I started giving it a try, it just felt so natural. You can really spring direction from side to side much faster without having to reposition your whole body. For long corners, knee out can still rule the day, but it's more fun to to and drag handlebars with your body supermoto style. It's just very fluid on a dirtbike. You don't support your weight or even drag your foot, it's just there to let you know when your sliding too much and need to bang it down to get your poo poo back under control.

As well as that, when your sliding into/out of a corner, there's just something that feels so much more solid about having your foot out, body slightly upright, bike leaned like a son of a bitch under you. It just feels right on a supermoto.

Also on a supermoto track thats really narrow and tight, where you want to put your knee very well might just be a tire or a hay stack that's marking the course.

We still do knee out on long street corners, because if there's plenty of setup, it's still bad rear end good fun. If you watch the really fast guys though, foot out.

Nikki says 'gently caress your leg out'

Or ride it however you feel best about the pavement you are on. It's SuperMoto, nobody really gives a poo poo. We don't have a lot of rules.

FlerpNerpin fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Apr 27, 2010

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

I took the DRZ to Talladega GP yesterday...so much fun. I stuck to riding it like a sport bike instead of like a dirt bike, now kind of wish I would have tried both. Didn't attempt sliding or any of that fancy stuff either.

Once I figured out my lines I was closing on people very quickly...sadly couldn't pass in corners which meant I got to work on carrying speed through the corner so I could pass on corner exit.

Also apparently a DRZ with flatsides and a full scorpion exhaust is really drat loud at high RPM. I was told by a few people that I had the loudest bike on the track and that it sounded great.

Nothing like passing 600/750/1000cc sport bikes on a dirt bike.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Spiffness posted:

I've always loved this picture because its so drat obvious dude is crashing and just managed to push it back up with his leg. His body language screams "OOOOH FUUUUUUCK".

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

pr0zac posted:

I've always loved this picture because its so drat obvious dude is crashing and just managed to push it back up with his leg. His body language screams "OOOOH FUUUUUUCK".

No, it's just that on reflection his lead filled gloves was a bad idea.

HYUCK HYUCK HYUCK :banjo:

CSi-NA-EJ7
Feb 21, 2007
I want to give my street bike with motocross supension some more acceptable stiffness. Would race tech springs be worth a shot?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

CSi-NA-EJ7 posted:

I want to give my street bike with motocross supension some more acceptable stiffness. Would race tech springs be worth a shot?

Well, springs go hand in hand with valving. So you can swap out the springs but the valving may be wrong, causing issues with not being able to get the right amount of damping.

But it's definitely a place to start, and racetech is a good resource for figuring out what stiffness springs you need...I'd look at what they recommend, see what stock is, and decide from there if you'd rather go with springs or revalving the bike.

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008

CSi-NA-EJ7 posted:

I read that as "rape tech" which I think means I'm a bad bad person.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

PadreScout posted:

I read that as "rape tech" which I think means I'm a bad bad person.

Thats a completely different, yet still spring and valve based company.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Regeared the DRZ:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7oonJC3vKhY

Definitely doesn't wheelie as good now.

But it handles normal riding type stuff pretty well:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_EHFX3njytc

I really need to tape over the mic to cut down on the wind noise, I just forget. All the drat time.

Jharkov, I'm running 15/41 and it doesn't want to power up the front in first anymore. I think that 16/41 is going to kill any chance of wheelies in first without the clutch.

Jharkov
Feb 26, 2008

by Ozma
Yep, i cant wheelie at all on it now.
16/40 on the freeway is decent. But having ridden the BMW to work now, the DRZ feels bad on the freeway no matter what.
So i think im going to gear it back down.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Z3n posted:

I'm running 15/41 and it doesn't want to power up the front in first anymore.

You're in luck, Spiffness is holding a wheelie seminar in early July.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Jharkov posted:

Yep, i cant wheelie at all on it now.
16/40 on the freeway is decent. But having ridden the BMW to work now, the DRZ feels bad on the freeway no matter what.
So i think im going to gear it back down.

Yeah, I need to figure out how my speedo is off due to the change in front wheel size, but there's definitely some thoughts a-brewin' about how exactly to handle the power deficit. I also think it may be burning oil, which means if I absolutely have to pull the top end to re-ring it, I may as well put a big bore kit in it. :D Could also just be single freeway-itis though. Any of the other DRZ owners have any problems with burning oil at freeway speeds?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Z3n posted:

Any of the other DRZ owners have any problems with burning oil at freeway speeds?

Any thumper will consume oil at freeway speeds. My DRZ did it too.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Phat_Albert posted:

Any thumper will consume oil at freeway speeds. My DRZ did it too.

How much did it burn roughly?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Z3n posted:

How much did it burn roughly?

Hoestly, I dont remember exactly, as it was a while ago, but if I spent all day at highway speeds, you could see that it was low in the sight glass.

Jharkov
Feb 26, 2008

by Ozma
Not sure whats up with your DRZs, but mine doesnt burn a drop.
Been at the same level since 2000km ago, and thats plenty of highway. plenty of times ive had it cruising at 130KMH.

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

I drove my DRZ around 220 miles home when I bought it and my oil levels didn't change either.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

You two are the exception to the rule then. Most any thumper will consume some oil at extended highway speeds.

They probably just consumed so little that you didnt/couldnt notice.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Did either of you guys do your break in personally? I'm wondering where big singles burn oil from, because my g/f rides hers on the freeway a lot as well, and it doesn't seem to be burning oil.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Reading further on it suggests that its due to the rings? Apparently manufacturers are fixing it in newer engines. 09+ KLR's have different rings that stop the oil burning at high speeds. Maybe Suzuki did something similar during the life of the DRZ?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Phat_Albert posted:

Reading further on it suggests that its due to the rings? Apparently manufacturers are fixing it in newer engines. 09+ KLR's have different rings that stop the oil burning at high speeds. Maybe Suzuki did something similar during the life of the DRZ?

She's got a big bore kit on hers, so I'm wondering if it's because of that. But yeah, that was my assumption too, because it seems like it's the only place that it could burn oil from where it'd happen only on the freeway. I'm curious as to if gearing it to 15/41 (stock sumo gearing) will fix it, because it was reving out pretty hard with 14/41. I know that Jharkov is running 16/41, so maybe that's got something to do with it too. G/f runs 15/41, so maybe the 14/41 just pushes it a little too high in the rev range at freeway speeds.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Its very possible that the big bore kit uses whatever ring technology it is that allows for less/no oil burning.

In fact I'd bet on it.

All the more reason to get a big bore kit :wotwot:

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

Mine's stock. Sounds like it probably was just so little I didn't notice.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?
Huskys don't consume any oil...because you change it before it has a chance to.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Gnaghi posted:

Huskys don't consume any oil...because you change it before it has a chance to.

More like "...because the connecting rod change interval is shorter than the oil change interval"

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?

Phat_Albert posted:

More like "...because the connecting rod change interval is shorter than the oil change interval"

First thing you ask if you are buying a used Husky:

"Have you kept up with the engine changes?"

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
i haven't had any oil burning on my 2007 klr. 33000 miles on it so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jharkov
Feb 26, 2008

by Ozma
my XR650R wouldn't burn any oil when i had it pinned WOT at 190KMH for about an hour on a boring straight highway in the middle of nowhere :D

Same with my DR650.

The only time my thumper has burnt oil was when the valve seals / rings were worn, on my last DRZ400.
Typically DRZs that are burning oil have a dirt background, and have ingested dirt at some point.

• Locked thread