Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fougera
Apr 5, 2009

Christobevii3 posted:

What makes it stand out? You still have no confirmation of an iphone and the carriers are fighting at price level on plans now.

What about as a value play?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ayekappy
Aug 22, 2004

Brie Cheesin'
Or the fact that FiOS would compliment a nationwide internet type government infrastructure plan the most.

waffle
May 12, 2001
HEH
I dunno. VZ was attractive to me last year, and nothing seems to be better (in fact, their situation seems worse nowadays, and I don't think them getting the iPhone would be nearly as impactful nowadays), and it's only gone down, down, down since then. I have no idea why, though... I'm just glad I never bought any of it.

waffle fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Apr 24, 2010

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

ayekappy posted:

Or the fact that FiOS would compliment a nationwide internet type government infrastructure plan the most.
I think 4G would be a better solution for that goal. The government would never subsidize the huge cost of rolling out FiOS for just internet, and Verizon wouldn't be too eager to do it either considering their current procedure is to only roll it out once they get a TV franchise (which is regulated by local municipalities, and it can take a year plus to acquire in some cases). Besides, Verizon already announced they are no longer bringing FiOS to new cities.

The problem with 4G though is its an area Verizon doesn't have quite as much of a technological edge (other than being first to release it and having much much larger national footprint, but both of those were going to be done without the governments money anyway), so it isn't like they would be the sole winner of the government's money bonanza like they would if it was going to be given to the best land line service.

Hobologist
May 4, 2007

We'll have one entire section labelled "for degenerates"

fougera posted:

With a price/free cash flow ratio of 25, I'm not convinced.

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered

ayekappy posted:

FioS is kinda dead. http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5g49dcJwB9f4ThxaYzwK-FsaaWY5QD9EMFVEO0

greasyhands fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Apr 25, 2010

My PIN is 4826
Aug 30, 2003

Does anyone know what will happen with RBS and LLOY stock on the London stock exchange when the UK government decides to sell its stake? I know huge holding being sold will decrease the price and all, but it usually comes together with the company doing badly.

With the government actually selling because "they can make it without us now", will the price be affected, because the massive selling is a sign of the companies' strength rather than weakness? Any ideas? Asking because I'm thinking there might be some discounted LLOY and RBS shares in there to get once HM treasure decide it's time.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006

fougera posted:

Value play what? The earnings growth isn't there, winding down fios, debt carrying industry, and not going outside of north america for growth? It is a telecom, which like most infrastructure companies have a high cost of doing business just to stay in business. The only thing I could see help them to become a value play is inflation, since it would make their prior debt service cost go down. Value play would be like Exxon Mobile or someone with a poo poo ton of cash, but again its not really a growing industry atm either.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
The wildcard with Verizon too is what they end up doing with Vodafone about Verizon Wireless.

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel

Christobevii3 posted:

Value play what? The earnings growth isn't there, winding down fios, debt carrying industry, and not going outside of north america for growth? It is a telecom, which like most infrastructure companies have a high cost of doing business just to stay in business. The only thing I could see help them to become a value play is inflation, since it would make their prior debt service cost go down. Value play would be like Exxon Mobile or someone with a poo poo ton of cash, but again its not really a growing industry atm either.

Not to mention that every major player in the industry is gearing up to beat the hell out of each other soon. I have a feeling that telecom is going to be a wild ride in the next few years until someone figures out how the future of broadband is going to be handled.

I think as more people get angry with it, they will eventually end up like the old utility and bell companies. Regulated and slow growth.

VZ has one nice rear end dividend though...

Cheesemaster200 fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Apr 26, 2010

Dr. Jackal
Sep 13, 2009

Cheesemaster200 posted:

VZ has one nice rear end dividend though...

doesn't mean poo poo if it drops more than the dividend in the quarter though.

Zarrr
Oct 1, 2001

Zarrr posted:

Looks like you made the right call. Crazy run today.
0.83 and rising?

*facepalm*

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

Zarrr posted:

0.83 and rising?

*facepalm*
Got out at 0.824 :hf:

edit: gently caress, I suck at this.

destructo fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Apr 26, 2010

Zarrr
Oct 1, 2001

destructo posted:

Got out at 0.824 :hf:

edit: gently caress, I suck at this.
I am absolutely floored by the rise. Anywhere close to $1.00 is a ridiculous p/e ratio for a company mired in debt with no growth on the horizon.

All I can think of is that FBC's trying to avoid getting de-listed by making a run at $1.00. Should have held one more day. Gah.

Jabbu
Aug 1, 2005

GODWIN'S LAW? WHAT THE FUCK IS GODWIN'S LAW YOU FUCKING CRYPTO-NAZI? WHY DON'T YOU STOP RAPING CHILDREN FOR FIVE MINUTES, PUT DOWN THAT GLASS OF PUPPY BLOOD AND JUST ADMIT THAT YOU'RE A FUCKING MONSTER
I don't personally like VZ, however I don't think you would be taking a severe risk by putting cash into it if you know what you're getting into. I was scanning through their most recent 10-K, looking over their balance sheet, reading up on anything of interest in the news about them and came to the conclusion that if you're looking to get a pretty stable dividend with a decent company and more importantly can pay the price tag to get enough shares to make it worthwhile, then there are worse decisions you could make than to invest in Verizon.

What made me not buy them is there are better companies, with businesses I choose to understand more, with equal/better dividends and secure income and in all likelihood more upside. I wouldn't make Verizon my crown jewel in my portfolio, but it's not bad if you have shares in other companies that are paying dividends/appreciating in value as well. I guess my conclusion was there are worse places you can put your money and there are better places. Verizon is just an easy place to put your money that probably won't punish you too severely if you intend to hold it.

Edit: With something like Verizon I think it comes down to the "I own shares in <well known company>" effect. There are better more obscure places to put your money, but if you like the idea of owning shares in VZ, then go for it. You probably won't make as much money as the guy who found an amazing small cap stock, but you probably won't lose as much money as the speculating chart junkie.

Jabbu fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Apr 26, 2010

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

Zarrr posted:

I am absolutely floored by the rise. Anywhere close to $1.00 is a ridiculous p/e ratio for a company mired in debt with no growth on the horizon.

All I can think of is that FBC's trying to avoid getting de-listed by making a run at $1.00. Should have held one more day. Gah.
Seriously, they've issued so many new shares since the takeover, whatever happens, even if it does pop over $1, it's probably going to bust the same way ABK did and settle somewhere reasonable post-earnings.

ayekappy
Aug 22, 2004

Brie Cheesin'
We may be nearing a top since a lot of junk rear end stocks are taking off big time. Look at the rental car industry!

ATLbeer
Sep 26, 2004
Über nerd

Christobevii3 posted:

Dollar and market rally on Greece and Euroe failing? I literally watched yields go from 7% to 9% at lunch and 11% leaving work today. lol greece

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/quote?ticker=GGGB10YR:IND
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/quote?ticker=GGGB2YR:IND

fougera
Apr 5, 2009
I liked the feedback I got on VZ, how about INTC? What's the deal with it pulling back after reporting "blockbuster earnings"?

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel

fougera posted:

I liked the feedback I got on VZ, how about INTC? What's the deal with it pulling back after reporting "blockbuster earnings"?

It went up like 10%+ in 2-3 days.

Personally I think its underweight and seeing resistance at 24ish, especially since things look like the bulls are losing steam.

Cheesemaster200 fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Apr 27, 2010

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006

Aahahah 13% now wtf. Supposedly the exposure to European banks is similar to the size of Lehman brothers blowing up, overnight lending crisis anyone?

Plastic Jesus
Aug 26, 2006

I'm cranky most of the time.

My PIN is 4826 posted:

Does anyone know what will happen with RBS and LLOY stock on the London stock exchange when the UK government decides to sell its stake?

Today's action in C might be telling.

lazybrain
Feb 6, 2007

fougera posted:

What do you all think of VZ, Reading over its SEC filings, I think its a big time buy now.

Great dividends, great long term prospects, slow but not too volatile, I'm long the shares and if you can afford 100 shares and then some it's a great stock to trade options on : ) .

Can't we adopt more of a positive money-making attitude in this thread? I feel some negative vibes, interspersed with much discussion of little known penny stocks, coming through the ether. Maybe it's just me...

Foma
Oct 1, 2004
Hello, My name is Lip Synch. Right now, I'm making a post that is anti-bush or something Micheal Moore would be proud of because I and the rest of my team lefty friends (koba1t included) need something to circle jerk to.
Thinking about buying tomorrow for mid to long term JNJ, GS, IRM, and some more BND for balance

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Just an FYI on Verizon. Let's just say the company is trying to layoff 21,000 Union people. The current union contact allows them to layoff 9,000 but the company wants to do an additional 12k. The Unions have told Verizon if they take one person over the 9,000 then the entire workforce will go on strike.

Dr. Jackal
Sep 13, 2009

I WANT TO EAT BABBY posted:

Today's action in C might be telling.

dip as people panic that 1.5 billion shares is going to dilute the market so much C will never make it back to 5?

I closed my C position and moved over to QCOM, from what I can tell they like to have great earnings(increase their share price), then declare their next Quarter will be lovely(decrease their share price), the stock slowly climbs back up until Earning. So it's a 3 month call...

Foma posted:

buying GS
I really don't know about buying GS. Their earnings was great (but then which banks had horrid earnings Q1?) but because of the SEC filing people are less likely to use GS... but then their main business is M&A side which is B&B anyways.

Why not in JPM?

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
Nice jump on SIRI yesterday. When Ford does good, so does SIRI.

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel

Foma posted:

Thinking about buying tomorrow for mid to long term JNJ, GS, IRM, and some more BND for balance

I am putting a position in for JNJ some time this week. GS is too much in the news now for my tastes. However it is at a good price.

Dr. Needleman
Jan 26, 2004

we been livin' through your internet
Reading through this thread, I feel like you guys are discussing quantum physics while I'm still trying to grasp long division. Please tell me I'm not alone.

I see a lot of people talking about Apple and Toyota stocks. As someone just starting in the game why does it make sense to go with a small amount of these $100+ shares versus banking in smaller shares? For example, shares trading at a dollar or less and selling 12 months later when/if they profit.

I'll take my answer off the air, thanks.

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel

Dr. Needleman posted:

Reading through this thread, I feel like you guys are discussing quantum physics while I'm still trying to grasp long division. Please tell me I'm not alone.

I see a lot of people talking about Apple and Toyota stocks. As someone just starting in the game why does it make sense to go with a small amount of these $100+ shares versus banking in smaller shares? For example, shares trading at a dollar or less and selling 12 months later when/if they profit.

I'll take my answer off the air, thanks.
It makes sense to go with a company which is stable and has future growth potential.

The problem with the penny stocks is that this is usually not the case. Investing in them is usually just betting that there might be a short term jump to take profits on. That or you better be drat sure that they have some new product which will launch them into the big leagues.

Also, stop looking at share price. If anything look at market capitalization.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Dr. Needleman posted:

In addition to Cheesemaster's response, percentage return is what matters. If you buy $10k of a $250 stock or $10k or a 25 cent stock, a 10% gain is $1k in either case. While the 25 cent stock has a better chance of having a random 10% pop, it also has a high chance of a 50% drop.

Dr. Needleman
Jan 26, 2004

we been livin' through your internet
Thanks for the responses guys, that makes a lot of sense. I've been a part of my companies employee stock purchase program for a year, but haven't ventured out beyond the safety net.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
What the hell just happened?

Dow down 129 points, every stock I am looking at is in the red today, yet consumer confidence is up more than expected. What just happened?

ayekappy
Aug 22, 2004

Brie Cheesin'
Greece got downgraded again and Portugal just got its first downgrade, like dominoes?

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf

I guess I just dont understand that.

When a foreign country has an issue, why would that send the entire stock market down?

Who says, Greece is having problems, Sell my Johnson and Johnson stock!!

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Koirhor posted:

Just an FYI on Verizon. Let's just say the company is trying to layoff 21,000 Union people. The current union contact allows them to layoff 9,000 but the company wants to do an additional 12k. The Unions have told Verizon if they take one person over the 9,000 then the entire workforce will go on strike.
If they fired all of their union members I would increase my position on principal alone.

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel

MrBigglesworth posted:

I guess I just dont understand that.

When a foreign country has an issue, why would that send the entire stock market down?

Who says, Greece is having problems, Sell my Johnson and Johnson stock!!
Probably because the inevitable appreciation of the dollar which will hit stock prices. However, it seems that we are coming out the recession guns blazing. Everyone is beating earnings and every domestic indicator is pointing up. You would think that would bring much more money to US equities.

Jack
Jan 19, 2001

MrBigglesworth posted:

What the hell just happened?

Dow down 129 points, every stock I am looking at is in the red today, yet consumer confidence is up more than expected. What just happened?

Are you really questioning a single down day after about 90 straight days of nothing but up days?

Furthermore the problem with Greece is the same problem that sent the entire market down way back in 2008. But instead of American houses it is the debt of a few countries.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

ayekappy posted:

Greece got downgraded again and Portugal just got its first downgrade, like dominoes?
It's amazing how much credit were giving the same ratings agencies that rated poo poo MBSes as AAA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Jackal
Sep 13, 2009

MrBigglesworth posted:

Nice jump on SIRI yesterday. When Ford does good, so does SIRI.

and SIRI drops with Ford. lo.