Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ms. Happiness
Aug 26, 2009

For those people that danced at the reception, how did you learn? Did you and your future husband take dancing lessons? My fiance and I can't dance worth anything but I think it would be cute if I actually learned a simple dance step.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!
Should I insure a moissanite ring?

Will a company even give me insurance for that?

chedemefedeme
May 25, 2007

Until then I need your help
figuring out the logistics!
Cross posting to plug my little thread over in travel here. Trying to get advice on a proposal spot in Corpus Christi, Victoria or San Antonio Texas for a little roadtrip I'm taking with the girl. Much appreciated as I'm not super familiar with these cities enough to know the perfect spot!

You can reply here or there, whichever seems more on-topic I suppose.
My thread in travel:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3295429

uberwekkness
Jul 25, 2008

You have to train harder to make it to nationals.

Ms. Happiness posted:

For those people that danced at the reception, how did you learn? Did you and your future husband take dancing lessons? My fiance and I can't dance worth anything but I think it would be cute if I actually learned a simple dance step.

I never post here (not married or engaged or anything), but the waltz is really really easy to learn. You could probably take one dance lesson and learn to do it pretty well. I've been taking Ballroom Dancing this term, and it was the first dance we learned. After going over dance frame, it took maybe an hour. You could do another lesson after that, if you want to learn the specifics, like the "correct" way to turn (although really, you could just slowly turn while doing the step if you don't really care). It's also a dance that can be applied to a fairly wide variety of music. Not sure if that's really the kind of dancing you were looking for, but I hope it helps.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

How does one go about insuring an engagement ring? Should I just talk to the people I'm buying renter's insurance from, or are there specific companies, or what?

Ms. Happiness
Aug 26, 2009

Boxman posted:

How does one go about insuring an engagement ring? Should I just talk to the people I'm buying renter's insurance from, or are there specific companies, or what?

I just got my ring insured through my insurance agency (USAA). Probably the people that you get your renter's insurance from can help you out. You will probably ask about Valuable Property Insurance for your ring.

ixo
Sep 8, 2004

m'bloaty

Fun Shoe

Ms. Happiness posted:

We were inspired by this video, and are currently learning a lindy hop/swing/charleston sort of thing, taking lessons about 2-3 times per month or saturdays

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSgRisUdh0I

We're only going for like a 3 minute long song though, as that one seemed to start to drag on after a bit. But it's fun as hell.

quaint bucket
Nov 29, 2007

we just paid off everything relating to the wedding! now i can just focus on enjoying the long wait! :dance:

Axolotl Atlatl
Mar 19, 2009

It's the truth, mang.
Just ask your pop.

chedemefedeme posted:

Trying to get advice on a proposal spot [...] or San Antonio Texas for a little roadtrip I'm taking with the girl.

Can't help with Corpus (which it looks like you're leaning towards), but here's the big 3 for San Antonio:

1) Sunken Gardens/Japanese Tea House
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Antonio_Japanese_Tea_Gardens
Really beautiful gardens; very secluded areas if you wanna propose in private. They're doing a bit of restoration on the front, so I'm not entirely sure what parts are currently open.

2) Tower of the Americas observation deck
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tower_of_the_Americas
Great views of the whole city, just don't eat there. The bar's fine, if you want to grab a few drinks, but the food is seriously overpriced and not particularly good.

3) McNay Art Museum
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McNay_Art_Museum
Beautiful grounds and the building itself is pretty stunning. Downstairs has impressionist paintings and a nice solarium full of sculptures; upstairs in all medieval/renaissance art. It's the spot to get your wedding photos done in SA, though, so she might guess what you're up to.

And as appealing as it might sound, don't go for a private barge on the River Walk. It reeks in the middle of summer. :barf:

Hope that helps a bit; it's not a particularly romantic city.

JohnnyRnR
May 16, 2004
Beer Ninja

Boxman posted:

There are many options for jewelry insurance. To bind a policy you just need an appraisal to establish fair value of the jewelry. Just ask any jeweler for an insurance appraisal. They will know what kind of document to draw up.

1.) If you have renter's insurance or homeowners just call up and add a jewelry rider. Some companies do sell separate jewelry policies; I know that USAA does and they are amazingly affordable.

2.) Jeweler's Mutual provides insurance both to the public and to the jewelry industry. Their rates are great, and they stand by their policies. http://www.jewelersmutual.com/PersonalJewelry.aspx

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?

Prolonged Shame posted:

For the love of god, don't put any 'joke' items on the registry! We put some Nerf dartboard and a bottle of ranch dressing on ours as a joke and to see if people really looked at it. When I checked the registry online before our shower, both were listed as not purchased. We ended up getting two of the dartboards and several bottles of ranch at the shower. Serves us right I guess.

For more practical advice, just think about whether you will really use the things you register for. It's easy to get carried away zapping everything you think is cool, but then you end up with a bunch of stuff you don't really need, meanwhile that one item you *really* wanted is still sitting un-purchased on the registry. Also, definitely make sure to register for a wide variety of prices. Some people might only be able to afford some small kitchen items, while some rich friend might want to outdo everyone else and buy you a TV.

I added a £40,000 egg cooker from Amazon (yeah, I went through a few departments looking at highest cost / least useful), only for it to drop to £20. good job I just went and checked after this post or I might have ended up with a £20 egg cooker. While it isn't ridiculously expensive, we wouldn't use a dedicated egg cooker!

edit: Half tempted to add http://www.amazon.co.uk/85-quot-1080p-Full-HD/dp/B002ZGQSQ2/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1272006447&sr=1-16 as my way over priced joke option instead, as an 85 inch full HD tv isn't going to drop down to a non joke price this century. Only problem is people might think we need a new TV and get us a £300 one instead, when our TV is a perfectly nice 3 year old Samsung, and fits our room perfectly.

Masonity fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Apr 23, 2010

Macintyre
May 6, 2006
Slow Rider

Ms. Happiness posted:

We took lessons, once a week for about 3 months.

Learned the Foxtrot, Waltz, Nightclub, and Swing. This is also probably the order from easiest to difficult, but that's just how we found it to be, your mileage may vary.

Both the Foxtrot & Waltz will look pretty cool once you have the basic step down and add on 2-3 moves.

There's a very large jump from "not knowing how to do dance at all" to "I took 5 lessons" -- the people who do the typical 'spin in a circle' when they slow dance will be impressed.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist

Ms. Happiness posted:

We also don't dance. We took two lessons at a dance school. We told them our situation, brought our first dance song with us, and learned an easy waltz step that sort of went in a circle (so it looked better than a basic box step). Went over well both for our dance and the father/daughter and mother/son dances. After that we just sorta played it by ear and did a little dancing but mostly schmoozing.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I haven't followed this thread but I am getting married in a few months. We ordered our rings from a lady in California who does Mokume Gane which is the Japanese art of metal that looks like wood grain.

Cost was about 2 grand give or take for both. They are Platinum Silver, Palladium White Gold, and 18k Gold.

redeyes fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Apr 24, 2010

Ms. Happiness
Aug 26, 2009

^^^^

Those are really pretty and unique! I haven't seen rings like that before.

ixo
Sep 8, 2004

m'bloaty

Fun Shoe
Sup mokume buddy!

I'm sportin this guy, my lady's doesn't match though:

http://www.titanium-jewelry.com/r486t.html

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

ixo posted:

Sup mokume buddy!

I'm sportin this guy, my lady's doesn't match though:

http://www.titanium-jewelry.com/r486t.html

Not bad, I wanted something with less vivid 'grains' though. The neat thing about our rings is we can have them etched anytime, this dissolves a bit of the silver and creates awesome wood grain patterns in 3D. We decided to do that like 5 or 10 year anniversary. They were hand made to our specifications which was 'loose wood grain' with the obvious metal choices to get the grain pattern. Also we had the maker minimize the seam. Overall we are very very happy with them.

In case anyone cares here is the womans website. She was extremely easy to work with from ordering samples to calling on the phone and discussing options. Highly recommended. http://mokume-gane-metals.com/index.html

redeyes fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Apr 25, 2010

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
I went and visited this guys workshop:
http://www.andrewnycedesigns.com/?gclid=COHKqv6Hp6ECFRBx5QoddS2rEg

I'm still trying to talk myself in/out of it because drat it's expensive.

Also, I found a photographer, yay, one less thing!

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

LorneReams posted:

I went and visited this guys workshop:
http://www.andrewnycedesigns.com/?gclid=COHKqv6Hp6ECFRBx5QoddS2rEg

I'm still trying to talk myself in/out of it because drat it's expensive.

Also, I found a photographer, yay, one less thing!

I saw those and honestly I think the site I linked has better quality rings. The wood grain seems more realistic with less contrast between the layers. Just my personal opinion of course. Certainly is cheaper.

obviously I fucked it
Oct 6, 2009

Friendly Geek posted:

Here's another question for you guys. We're a little less than 6 months out, and I'm starting to think about what I'm going to get him for a wedding present, but we haven't really broached the subject except to say "hey, that'd be a fun wedding present" just in passing, or people saying "oh hey, wedding present!!" to us about one thing or another. I've got a couple ideas, but we haven't really gone into talking about budget stuff for that. (I'm really hoping he's not forumstalking me right now...) In my head, I've got things anywhere from a beer home brewing kit (anywhere from $95-400) to racing school (which starts at $700), and all kinds of stuff between.

Am I crazy? What are you guys doing/what did you do for your spouse-to-be?

I'm doing boudoir photos for my fella. They're about $350, the lady who does them is fanfuckingtastic. On one hand, I can't wait, and on the other hand, I'm busting my rear end in the gym to try and get ready, so I could wait a dite longer....Lost 14 lbs so far, another twelve to go by June 22. For any of you New England area/ Maine goon brides, she's local.

http://www.tessjphotography.com/

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!
Well, she said yes! We're getting married next May!

Of note, this ring I got her:
http://www.moissaniteco.com/15ct-6mm4mm-round-moissanite-trellis-3-stone-ring-p-6352.html

... is practically identical in appearance and quality to this ring (other than the round stones):
http://www.zales.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2526667

$690 vs. $4000

So much less pain over the price tag, no worries about conflict diamonds, and much less hassle about losing an expensive piece of bling. And supposedly the Moissanite is even more sparkly and makes females go gaga over it. So far, every single person that has congratulated has been very impressed with these "lab gemstones." The layman can't tell the difference. They all think I dropped $5000 on real diamonds.

And she had no problems with having the Moissanite instead of diamonds. Your mileage may vary depending on your girlfriend.

After all, whatever you get, it's all about the strength of your relationship with her, so don't let other people (or marketing) influence your final choice. There's something to be said for frugality, especially in this economy.

PS: Thank you JohnnyRnR for all the help you provided. I cannot recommend him enough.

Insane Totoro fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Apr 27, 2010

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist
Congrats!! I adore my moissanite too!

Abbeh
May 23, 2006

When I grow up I mean to be
A Lion large and fierce to see.
(Thank you, Das Boo!)

Insane Totoro posted:

And she had no problems with having the Moissanite instead of diamonds. Your mileage may vary depending on your girlfriend.

I got an ipod touch :smug:
I have a ring now, too, but it was my grandma's and she died two weeks ago :smith:

JohnnyRnR
May 16, 2004
Beer Ninja

Insane Totoro posted:

PS: Thank you JohnnyRnR for all the help you provided. I cannot recommend him enough.

Gracias, good luck!

For those interested in crazy cool metal combinations in their wedding bands check out Chris Ploof. http://www.chrisploof.com/ I met him at a show last year, and was very impressed by his work. Works in Mokume Gane, Damascus, Meteorite, etc.

deviledseraphim
Jan 22, 2002
me gusta besar el pollo desnudo!!
I have a question about pairing a wedding band to an engagement ring. If one is made of white gold and the other of titanium, will it look horribly mismatching? Should the metals be the same?

Pixi
Apr 16, 2001

I am loved.
The metals wear differently. I think the real concern would be the harder metal (titanium) wearing against the softer metal (white gold). They will wear different, patina-wise, as well. But someone else would be able to give you a real answer, I'm just going on what (little) I remember from when I got married 7 years ago.

Qaz Kwaz
Jul 24, 2003
What's your email? I've got some shitty posts that you NEED to read.
Hello, everyone!

Thanks for all of the great advice. I just got engaged a few weeks ago, so it's been a tremendous help.

Does anyone have experience with/knowledge of a combined ceremony/reception? We're both non-religious and definitely don't want to get married in a church, and we think it'd be fun and easy to do the ceremony at the same time, integrated into the reception.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

Qaz Kwaz posted:

Hello, everyone!

Thanks for all of the great advice. I just got engaged a few weeks ago, so it's been a tremendous help.

Does anyone have experience with/knowledge of a combined ceremony/reception? We're both non-religious and definitely don't want to get married in a church, and we think it'd be fun and easy to do the ceremony at the same time, integrated into the reception.

That is what we are doing. We found a nice place that will easily be both. Depending on when you are getting married may decide some things. We are getting married in December, and she does not want anything outdoors. The place we are doing everything at can be divided up pretty easily. My fiancee does not want anyone sitting at the actual tables during the ceremony. We are going to set aside an area for the ceremony and have chairs placed there. We figure that once the ceremony is done, the chair can go back to the tables and that area will become the dance floor.

Our biggest problem right now is trying to find an officiant. I found one but he is a bit pricey, 300 bucks to do it. I know he is decent because he married a friend several years ago.

Friendly Geek
Aug 11, 2005
Your friendly neighborhood geek. Friendly and/or geeky since 1982.

calandryll posted:

Our biggest problem right now is trying to find an officiant. I found one but he is a bit pricey, 300 bucks to do it. I know he is decent because he married a friend several years ago.

As far as I know, that's right around the right price for officiants. My mom's a minister, and while I don't think she has a specific price, that's about what she gets for the non-member weddings she does.

PopRocks
Jul 4, 2003

WTF am I reading?
Nearly any place you can find to host a reception will also host a ceremony. When my parents got married they had an outdoor wedding on a friend's ranch and walked down the aisle to a mariachi band. Tables were set up behind the rows of chairs, which were moved to the tables during the cocktail hour after the ceremony. At night they had professional fireworks go off over the river that ran along the property, it was beautiful. It's funny, growing up I always said I'd have an outdoor wedding with the reception in the same place, but nowadays it seems like that's what everybody's doing. I strategically belong to a church downtown so any reception space will be within walking distance.

errol _flynn posted:

I'm doing boudoir photos for my fella. They're about $350, the lady who does them is fanfuckingtastic. On one hand, I can't wait, and on the other hand, I'm busting my rear end in the gym to try and get ready, so I could wait a dite longer....Lost 14 lbs so far, another twelve to go by June 22. For any of you New England area/ Maine goon brides, she's local.

http://www.tessjphotography.com/

A friend of mine did this for her first wedding anniversary, an it was perfect. You might want to save the photos for your paper anniversary gift.

chedemefedeme
May 25, 2007

(Though I'm only approaching engagement thus far I figured I'll ask this while it's on my mind and the post a few above reminded me, cause it'd come up eventually)

Along the lines of the above non-religious setting..I'm going to want a similar thing. I'd probably want a separate ceremony and reception, but the officiant is my main question here.

It seems odd to me to have some strange religious person come do it, or even a stranger who means little to each of us but has the credentials. I greatly respect my grandfather and when he speaks it's with an authority. How do the technicalities/legalities of having someone like this do the ceremony work?

He's obviously not a reverend or anything...but I think it'd mean more to me and her to have the man who's essentially the head of the family officiate things rather than some stranger.

Just an idea :)

brambling lass
Feb 19, 2005

A clock isn't time; it's just numbers and springs. Pay it no mind.

chedemefedeme posted:

(Though I'm only approaching engagement thus far I figured I'll ask this while it's on my mind and the post a few above reminded me, cause it'd come up eventually)

Along the lines of the above non-religious setting..I'm going to want a similar thing. I'd probably want a separate ceremony and reception, but the officiant is my main question here.

It seems odd to me to have some strange religious person come do it, or even a stranger who means little to each of us but has the credentials. I greatly respect my grandfather and when he speaks it's with an authority. How do the technicalities/legalities of having someone like this do the ceremony work?

He's obviously not a reverend or anything...but I think it'd mean more to me and her to have the man who's essentially the head of the family officiate things rather than some stranger.

Just an idea :)

Unless I'm mistaken, a couple can be married by anyone as long as that person is legally able to marry people in that state/county/etc. That is, your grandfather would just have to go through the process of becoming ordained and he could then officiate your wedding. Of course, you should check all the laws associated with your state to ensure that the wedding would be legally binding, but I think it's fairly common.

chedemefedeme
May 25, 2007

Hmm..what the heck does that entail? I presume if it's common it isn't a big deal. Go down and pay a fee and swear something at the state/city/county?

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

chedemefedeme posted:

Hmm..what the heck does that entail? I presume if it's common it isn't a big deal. Go down and pay a fee and swear something at the state/city/county?

One way of doing it is to go the courthouse a day or two before and do it there. Then have your grandfather just say whatever he wants. Then no worries about him having to be ordained or whatever is needed for your locality.

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I just put money in the Magic Fingers!

chedemefedeme posted:

Get ordained online: http://www.themonastery.org/

My husband has performed three weddings this way and all legal. Hopefully.... j/k

JohnnyRnR
May 16, 2004
Beer Ninja

deviledseraphim posted:

I have a question about pairing a wedding band to an engagement ring. If one is made of white gold and the other of titanium, will it look horribly mismatching? Should the metals be the same?

You'll be fine. Just know that the harder titanium will dent and scratch the gold if you're rough with them, but an annual polish should straighten everything out.

brambling lass
Feb 19, 2005

A clock isn't time; it's just numbers and springs. Pay it no mind.

calandryll posted:

One way of doing it is to go the courthouse a day or two before and do it there. Then have your grandfather just say whatever he wants. Then no worries about him having to be ordained or whatever is needed for your locality.

Or this! I suppose it just depends on whether or not you would want your grandfather to be the one that legally united you and your fiancee at the actual ceremony in front of everyone. If that's not a big deal, having a courthouse "wedding" a few days before to make everything legal and then a nice ceremony later on may be perfect.

Nione
Jun 3, 2006

Welcome to Trophy Island
Rub my tummy

chedemefedeme posted:

My best friend is marrying us in September. He's getting ordained online through the Universal Life Church (the link provided by Gravitee). You just have to make sure that's it's legal in your state. If you go to their webpage there is a lot of information about the different states and their rules regarding who is legally allowed to officiate a marriage. You could also check with the people in your state who do the marriage licenses. I'm sure they could probably tell you.

New topic... We're now less than 5 months away and I'm trying to finalize my guest list. Our room seats 66 people. They can squeeze in 70, but it would be tight. We'll also have a tent outside where the dancing will be, with several tables set up out there as well. So far I've got 75 people on my list. Some of them (cousins we haven't seen in years) I'm fairly sure won't be able to attend, so there's a "core" list of about 64-68. But I was talking to my dad and he kept mentioning people I should send invitations to. My future mother-in-law also has family in Arizona (we live in Missouri) that she wants us to invite, but she said they wouldn't be able to come. Now, personally I think it's wrong to invite people if you don't have room for them. It's not like I don't want them to come but the whole idea was to have a really small wedding for family and close friends only. I'm terrified that if I invite the Arizona people (like 8-10 total) then they'd decide it's been a long time since they've been back to Missouri and our wedding would be a great time for a trip. Especially since most of them are retired and have a lot of free time. On top of that, the people my father wants me to add are my stepmother's extended family (nieces, etc.) who also live out of state. I don't know any of them and, once again, my dad says they won't come, but what if they do?

I could potentially have people sitting outside in the tent to eat. But it seems to me a bit like a "kid's table" situation where the people outside will feel like they are being excluded. Especially since we're only talking about 6-8 people more than the room will seat. I can't have everyone inside eating except for one lone table outside, right? And I can't invite people in the hopes that they won't attend, right? I keep telling people this and it's not getting through. I keep hearing, "well not all those people will be able to attend..."

vanessa
May 21, 2006

CAUTION: This pussy is ferocious.
You shouldn't invite people you have no intention of hosting. It doesn't matter if "they probably won't come." Invitations open the possibility that they will attend, and you can't say, "Haha whoops, we only invited you because we thought you wouldn't come; would you mind not actually attending?"

What you can do is send out some lovely announcements after the wedding. Announcements hold no obligation to gift giving and are a nice way to make them feel like you are thinking of them on your special occasion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bo-Pepper
Sep 9, 2002

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

Fun Shoe
Does anyone have any good information regarding DJs in the New York City area? We're looking to have our wedding in January, so there's some time, but I'd like to start getting a sense of what who and how regarding that.

Our budget for music is around $1,000. We wouldn't be looking for something with one of those crazy frameworks and lights all over the place. Just a guy with a good selection of music and the sense to stay in the corner.