Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Squiggly Beast
Apr 29, 2009

orksorksOrksORKS!
:orks: :orks101:
Gravy Boat 2k
Hbomberguy's run of Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth is also worth a watch. He does have a few guests, though only for a couple of videos, if you dislike multiple commentators.

All videos are here: Viddler (along with those of his STALKER lp, which is also pretty good!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I'm looking for atmospheric LPs of horror games, preferably subtitled. I've got archives, so it doesn't have to just be ones on the Archive website.

e: I've seen all four of Egomaniac's LPs and am looking for more like them, to be specific.

Panic Restaurant
Jul 19, 2006

:retrogames: :3: :retrogames:

Pork Pro
I'm going to have to put in a recommendation for Strange Matter's LP of Robopon: Sun Version. The game itself, while quite fun, is one of the most shameless Pokemon ripoffs ever conceived, though it does have quite a few interesting character designs.

In spite of this, Strange Matter's narrative and incredibly detailed descriptions of the game's battles really make the LP a great read.

Sad Billionaire
Mar 31, 2009

What a twist
Fan of Britches

flatluigi posted:

I'm looking for atmospheric LPs of horror games, preferably subtitled. I've got archives, so it doesn't have to just be ones on the Archive website.

e: I've seen all four of Egomaniac's LPs and am looking for more like them, to be specific.

Have you tried The Man With a Hat's Dead Space LP? I don't know if it's really what you're looking for, as I found it more funny than atmospheric, but it is a very good subVLP of a horror game.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata
There are only a few LPs that I've watched that I can even remember. Examples of ones I've seen and enjoyed are Jurassic Park Trespasser by Research Indicates and Mercenaries 2 by that one guy and Lithuanian Dad.

I'm looking for something well produced with good commentary. Something that's informative and shows off everything about a game like Trespasser, or plays on comedic points like Mercenaries 2. But not one where the player just babbles like an idiot non-stop -- everything by Psychedelic Eyeball, for instance.

Any suggestions?

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

This one's nice.

It's The Void, done by Cannibal9k. Voice fits the game's ambiance. It's closer to RI's mellow informative tone than the madcap insanity of Mercs 2. Good watch though.

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.
I can't get enough of medibot as a co-commentator - I've seen him with MNEK and KFJ, what else has he been CO-pilot on?

He needs to have his brain free to think up crazy poo poo to say.

E-Tap
Jan 4, 2004

Bozart posted:

I can't get enough of medibot as a co-commentator - I've seen him with MNEK and KFJ, what else has he been CO-pilot on?
There's a few great one's Medibot's been in:
Mega Man X8
Kirby's Dream Land 3
Kingdom Hearts II

Nearly every Sonic lp that Pokecapn's done Medibot's been in as well.
Sonic 2006
Sonic Unleashed
Sonic and the Black Knight

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Bummey posted:

Any suggestions?
Anything by AccountingNightmare is worthwhile.
Devil May Cry
Devil May Cry 2
Devil May Cry 3

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

E-Tap posted:

Sonic 2006
That's probably the high water mark for that group's LP work. They played the entire game in like two 12 hour sessions and it's so bad in every conceivable way. You can just about hear the points where each player goes insane, one at a time.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

E-Tap posted:

Kingdom Hearts II

I've already recommended this a few times, but I doubly recommend it in this case. It's hard to quantify exactly why, but I find this to be one of the most entertaining LPs ever. I still occasionally go back and watch it to this day.

The commentary is laid back and amazingly informative, plus Kingdom Hearts II is a beautiful game which really lends itself to VLP.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Strange Matter posted:

That's probably the high water mark for that group's LP work. They played the entire game in like two 12 hour sessions and it's so bad in every conceivable way. You can just about hear the points where each player goes insane, one at a time.
Then again, Medibot's high water mark is Sonic Unleashed and the "contents" of all the collectables.

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.
Wow thanks - I kind of wish the archives had multiple author tags now. Sonic looks just like my speed.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Bummey posted:

There are only a few LPs that I've watched that I can even remember. Examples of ones I've seen and enjoyed are Jurassic Park Trespasser by Research Indicates and Mercenaries 2 by that one guy and Lithuanian Dad.

I'm looking for something well produced with good commentary. Something that's informative and shows off everything about a game like Trespasser, or plays on comedic points like Mercenaries 2. But not one where the player just babbles like an idiot non-stop -- everything by Psychedelic Eyeball, for instance.

Any suggestions?

You should also take a look at the Dead Space LP recommended right above you. It's informative AND comedic and there's a lot of effort put into it. The Man with a Hat did like four or five concurrent playthroughs to get all the footage he used. He also played to both sides by presenting a subtitled semi-serious and informative atmospheric playthrough and another completely different fun-trainwreck styled voiced run.
Add to that tons of concept art, background, tie-ins to other mediums and products in the franchise and he's got all the bases covered. The only downside to this LP is that he takes two or three episodes to get into the commentating groove so the earlier videos can be a bit lacking.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

E-Tap posted:

There's a few great one's Medibot's been in:
Mega Man X8
Kirby's Dream Land 3
Kingdom Hearts II

Sonic 2006
Sonic Unleashed
Sonic and the Black Knight

He's working on a Kirby Super Star Saga in the Co-op megathread

It a departure from most others, but he also is in the DnD LP

a spooky ghost
Jan 1, 2010

stay the same never change

Bozart posted:

He needs to have his brain free to think up crazy poo poo to say.

He's also in balckbelt bobman's Super Paper Mario LP, but you need archives. it doesn't look like it has been archived elsewhere, but here is the link to the first video on viddler.

Your mileage may vary with this one, obviously.

///thread question///

Has there ever been an LP here done in a foreign language? I think there's been some one-off novelty episodes done either entirely or partly in the commentator's native language (by psychedelic eyeball, i think), but I can't think of anything even close to an entire LP being being done in something besides english.

I know it would be sort of alienating to 99% of the forum, thus not worth the effort, but I think it would be kind of cool anyway.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

English board, English LP's. I've heard of some in Japanese, and other languages are certainly possible, but I don't think you'll find them being produced here. You may have to brave the internet and YouTube for something like that, I think.

cKnoor
Nov 2, 2000

I built this thumb out of two nails, a broken bottle and some razorwire.
Slippery Tilde

a spooky ghost posted:

///thread question///

baldurk made his flower LP in icelandic, but then removed all of the commentary before he published any videos.

I don't get why you'd want to watch it though, it sucks listening to some dude playing a game and not being able to tell what he's talking about.

No he didn't, there's not commentary at all since it's flower.

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Homestuck is a true work of art surpassing all of Shakespeare's works.

Bummey posted:

Any suggestions?
Jamesman's LP's are kind of like that, especially Chulip.

The Dead Rising let's play is also very informative. I don't have archives so I can't find the thread but here is Oatmeal's viddler.

E-Tap posted:

Mega Man X8
This is great for Medibot action. He and KFJ are a great double act and the last video is just lovely. Even if you aren't hungry for Medibot action it's still well worth a watch.

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.

Popo posted:

The Dead Rising let's play is also very informative. I don't have archives so I can't find the thread but here is Oatmeal's viddler.

Don't get into this LP unless you don't mind your heart being broken when it doesn't conclude. I miss this LP so goddamn much it hurts. Finishing Dead Rising on my own was not as sweet without seeing Oatmeal do it first. :911:

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I could let these dreamkillers kill my self esteem or use the arrogance as the steam to follow my dream
As strange as the current medibot fandom in this thread is, I think everyone's forgetting GOD HAND.

Nekomata
Oct 9, 2009

Let's do it!

a spooky ghost posted:

///thread question///

There's supposedly one or two guys who do LP's on NicoNico Douga, but I can't seem to find them.

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!

Nekomata posted:

There's supposedly one or two guys who do LP's on NicoNico Douga, but I can't seem to find them.

Here's that one Japanese psuedo-let's play. Was posted in the Off-Site LP thread, but it's apparently been ported to youtube now so there you go.

http://www.youtube.com/user/psion0011

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

a spooky ghost posted:

///thread question///

There's quite a few foreign language LPs to be found on YT or other dedicated LP sites, but all of them suck rear end. So goddamn much.
All of them.

Every single one i've found (that i could understand anyways) incorporated every single thing to do wrong in an LP.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Bummey posted:

Any suggestions?

I'm gonna go ahead and suggest Demon's Souls even though I just did last page. The commentary is very informative, interesting, and the LPer is very skilled at a game that is notorious for its absurd difficulty.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

VoidBurger posted:

Don't get into this LP unless you don't mind your heart being broken when it doesn't conclude. I miss this LP so goddamn much it hurts. Finishing Dead Rising on my own was not as sweet without seeing Oatmeal do it first. :911:

He actually posted in the Tech Support Fort a few weeks ago asking for help redoing the audio on some of his Dead Rising videos so he can revive the LP. But nobody replied to his question and he hasn't posted since.

P.M.F.
May 6, 2007

Do as I say, not as I do.

cKnoor posted:

flower LP

How did I miss this? Well, this will make for a interesting evening.

well HECK Phil
Feb 25, 2010
Toilet Rascal
I second that Flower LP; to say that it's stunning would be an understatement.

break-up breakdown
Mar 6, 2010

I'm hereby recommending Maynia's Broken Sword LP. It may be another adventure-game-with-subtitles dealio, but it's interesting and easy to watch and I think it deserves more attention that what it's getting.

KasaiAisu
May 3, 2010

Ask me about zoning laws in videogames
Didja Redo's Riviera: The Promised Land LP is very interesting to read. It's informative, and really quite funny. Also, there's video boss fights! (wow)

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Hey, I usually stick to screenshot threads but lately I've been wanting some LP videos to have in the background while I do other work and crap at the desk.

Problem is that aimlessly browsing has led me to a LOT of horrible crap. Basically I'd like something fun that doesn't take itself too seriously, with the LPer just chatting to the viewer and dicking around in the game and cracking jokes and stuff. Nothing with horribly annoying voices, and I'd prefer ones that are actually funny instead of embarrassing attempts at humour. I mean, don't gotta be Oscar Wilde levels of wit, god knows I'm unfunny enough, but you guys know what I'm talking about right? :( Some I've seen are like Mr. Bean levels of shame.

The only video LPs I've seen so far and really enjoyed were Deceased Crab's La Mulana vids, and EvilTim's uh, everything.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug

Corridor posted:

The only video LPs I've seen so far and really enjoyed were Deceased Crab's La Mulana vids, and EvilTim's uh, everything.

I'm going to interrupt the onslaught of people who are about to make fun of you for pointing out Deceased Crab (though that said, I did like the original La Mulana LP).

But the problem is that a lot of your criteria are kinda subjective, so it's tough to make a recommendation.

I think Chip/Ironicus joints are a safe bet. They did the Metal Gear Solid games, No More Heroes, and 50 Cent: Blood on the Sand amongst a couple of others. I usually find they hit a good stride between showing off things in the game without getting too boring, and they add some production value to the whole spiel. It just kinda works.

http://lparchive.org/LetsPlay/index.php?sauth=Chip%20Cheezum&search=1

I've also been enjoying Jamesman's Yakuza:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3260961

And Cannibal 2K's The Void, although that takes itself a little seriously.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3252510

slowbeef fucked around with this message at 16:00 on May 14, 2010

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...

Corridor posted:

If you've got archives, check out The Man with a Hat's Dead Space LP.

There's humor to be found in both run-throughs, and TMWAH does a good job at introducing the mechanics of the game while still keeping the LP a continuous, accessible thread.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

slowbeef posted:

I'm going to interrupt the onslaught of people who are about to make fun of you for pointing out Deceased Crab (though that said, I did like the original La Mulana LP).

Why :saddowns: I don't read threads here, I go through the Master List so I miss all the goony feedback and opinions. Gotta say I didn't like DC's other stuff, after checking out a random few. La Mulana was the magnum opus.

quote:

But the problem is that a lot of your criteria are kinda subjective, so it's tough to make a recommendation.

I know, I'm hoping here to at least avoid the worst stuff which seems to be all I find on my own. Thanks for the recommendations though duders, I'll give them a spin.

Oh and I also liked your Genesis/NES Immortal videos Mr. Slowbeef. :) Forgot to mention those.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Corridor posted:

Why :saddowns: I don't read threads here, I go through the Master List so I miss all the goony feedback and opinions. Gotta say I didn't like DC's other stuff, after checking out a random few. La Mulana was the magnum opus.

Long story short, he kept posting an endless stream of videos of different games in the same commentary style day after day for months and reacted poorly to criticism. Not all his stuff is terrible, but he's sort of the archetypal YouTube LPer. Also there was a bunch of dumb LP drama around him but nobody should care about that.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Thuryl posted:

Long story short, he kept posting an endless stream of videos of different games in the same commentary style day after day for months and reacted poorly to criticism. Not all his stuff is terrible, but he's sort of the archetypal YouTube LPer. Also there was a bunch of dumb LP drama around him but nobody should care about that.

I think the last straw was the fact that he was LPing a game he had done before. Like just a few months before. That was the last time I saw him around.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Thuryl posted:

I'm actually fond of several of Deceased Crab's projects, more so than many people here are. For example: people made fun of him for LPing the NES Tetris. I've never seen what happens when someone beats the NES Tetris B Type before, and thanks to Deceased Crab, I could see the ending of Tetris. Sure, it wasn't the most engrossing LP ever, and was admittedly dull, but I appreciate that he finally allowed me to see the ending of Tetris.

Rooreelooo
Sep 29, 2007

"Ask not what Spiral Mountain can do for you; ask what you can do for Spiral Mountain."
Didn't he do an LP of a barbie princess game where he had got back from the dentist and his mouth was numb and he was high on painkillers so he sounded like a slurred drunkard talking through a cushion?

I remmeber that being pretty funny.

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

slowbeef posted:

I think Chip/Ironicus joints are a safe bet. They did the Metal Gear Solid games, No More Heroes, and 50 Cent: Blood on the Sand amongst a couple of others. I usually find they hit a good stride between showing off things in the game without getting too boring, and they add some production value to the whole spiel. It just kinda works.

It works because when they do a play through of something, the focus is on *play*. You get the impression that one or both of them is at the controls of the game because playing they intend to have fun playing it. They make the experience entertaining even when the game itself might be found lacking.

Same goes for Ambisagrus and A Wooden Palisade in the Crackdown LP that they've been doing as part of the Co-Op Megathread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
I actually really like Deceased Crab's commentary style. When he posted the one that was the final straw for most people, I didn't see the problem, since it was just the same as all his other LP-...

...Oh. :ohdear:

• Locked thread