Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shao kong
Nov 6, 2002
Are there any active Deus Ex modding communities/forums anymore? I've been thinking about making a level pack for years but everytime I look for websites the scene seems near death. Now I know that can't be true since mods are still coming out. So where are they?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
So I've been replaying this game with the Shifter mod, and I'm not sure if its the mod or not but it feels a lot better than I remember it being.

Of course, I've never done a "buff pistol skill, use ALL the mods on stealth pistol, run around with a rapid fire sniper rifle that kills most enemies that aren't robots in one hit and has practically unlimited ammo" run before. It's fun. It's kind of hilarious when you get stopped in the airbase, descend to the Barracks, then kill all six of the heavily armed guys in there with a pistol before they can even sound an alarm.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

I've been loving decimating everyone with the starting pistol since I found out the laser sight gives it 100% accuracy. This is the first playthrough I've done where I didn't start using the Dragon's Tooth exclusively once I got it.

Rex Deckard
Jul 15, 2004

Albino thank you. Murder is a dished best served cold and as white as possible.

Maximum Chenergy
Aug 30, 2007

Its black mist swallows all.

Weedle posted:

I've been loving decimating everyone with the starting pistol since I found out the laser sight gives it 100% accuracy. This is the first playthrough I've done where I didn't start using the Dragon's Tooth exclusively once I got it.

When is the earliest you can find a laser sight anyways.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

BurningNinja posted:

When is the earliest you can find a laser sight anyways.

There's one on liberty island, in the small underground area with the malfunctioning machine.

Le Sean
Feb 18, 2006
Magazines call me a Rockstar, Girls call me Cockstar
Man, last playthrough I forgot to check down there and ended up going a long while without a laser sight for my rifle. Feels bad, man.

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

i'Am also a buetifule redd panda

Modian posted:

Are there any active Deus Ex modding communities/forums anymore? I've been thinking about making a level pack for years but everytime I look for websites the scene seems near death. Now I know that can't be true since mods are still coming out. So where are they?
The last big one, DXEditing, died a few months ago when the hosting ran out.
The remainder of the DXEditing content was saved by OTP, you can find it here:
http://www.offtopicproductions.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=36&sid=f142f61a209a150f6cddd625c9f0b0e0
OTP's forums are basically the last refuge of Deus Ex modding. There are a few stragglers that post in other places, including GameFAQs, but everyone at least cross-posts on OTP.
For tutorials, go here (look at the hosted sites section):
http://www.planetdeusex.com/
I myself learned with this one:
http://www.planetdeusex.com/constructor/tutorials.htm
I honestly thought IGN had killed the old Planet sites off a while ago, and started writing this post as if PDX was also dead. I don't have a clue why it's still alive.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Le Sean posted:

Man, last playthrough I forgot to check down there and ended up going a long while without a laser sight for my rifle. Feels bad, man.

You should put the laser on something that doesn't have a scope, because the scope negates the benefit of the laser.

Maximum Chenergy
Aug 30, 2007

Weedle posted:

You should put the laser on something that doesn't have a scope, because the scope negates the benefit of the laser.

This playthrough I'm putting literally every upgrade onto the standard pistol. Scoped pistol owns.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

BurningNinja posted:

This playthrough I'm putting literally every upgrade onto the standard pistol. Scoped pistol owns.

But then you don't get the 100% accuracy laser!

Le Sean
Feb 18, 2006
Magazines call me a Rockstar, Girls call me Cockstar
I use shifter which I guess fixes that laser accuracy bug, but I mostly use the laser to walk around pretending I'm Arnold from the first Terminator.

Sarah Connor??
Go in, and go in, and go in, and go in like the mayor and his THREE daughters!
What a shame.

I am a mature adult.

Maximum Chenergy
Aug 30, 2007

Le Sean posted:

I use shifter which I guess fixes that laser accuracy bug, but I mostly use the laser to walk around pretending I'm Arnold from the first Terminator.

Sarah Connor??
Go in, and go in, and go in, and go in like the mayor and his THREE daughters!
What a shame.

I am a mature adult.

Don't forget to Prod with the Prod.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

jonjonaug posted:

Of course, I've never done a "buff pistol skill, use ALL the mods on stealth pistol, run around with a rapid fire sniper rifle that kills most enemies that aren't robots in one hit and has practically unlimited ammo" run before.

That's been my build for every single one of my ~6 playthroughs. I <3 that little stealth pistol. Standard pistol sadly can't take a silencer, so it's not as good.

This time I untrained pistols and trained rifles instead, but I couldn't bring myself to not train computers. I'm sorry, but it's far too useful a skill. :(

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

I made it to the 747 without killing anybody and Paul said something like "great work, I underestimated your skill." I'm sure if I killed everything he would have called me a monster or something.

I handled the Lebedev situation both ways - first I went through the conversation as normal, and Navarre killed him as usual and told me to report to Manderley. That gave me 175 skill points.

Then I reloaded, planted the LAM grenade, killed Navarre before she could get two words off - and the game rewarded me with 200 skill points, and a lengthier conversation with Lebedev - including the MJ12 spoiler. I didn't think they had prepared for the player killing Navarre - look how wrong I was, it rewards the player for chosing to ignore the mission objectives and doing their own thing, based on what they think is right (or, maybe closer to the truth in this case, hilarious.)

Are there any other situations like that in the game?

Stump Truck
Nov 26, 2007
Why? Yes

Ansob. posted:

That's been my build for every single one of my ~6 playthroughs. I <3 that little stealth pistol. Standard pistol sadly can't take a silencer, so it's not as good.

This time I untrained pistols and trained rifles instead, but I couldn't bring myself to not train computers. I'm sorry, but it's far too useful a skill. :(

I dunno, I've found that every time I start a new game I always choose basically the same skills, I want to change it but hey, there are going to be computers to hack and doors to lockpick. My current Shifter playthrough I'm actually not caring about stealth this time however. Which means I get to use fun weapons like Rocket Launchers which I ignore 95% of the time I play the game. Regardless though, the sniper rifle with a ton of accuracy mods and a silencer is probably the best weapon in the game when you've trained rifles a lot. Instant kill, can use it in the open in Hong Kong without alarms going off, and you can destroy cameras and turrets (and alarm panels)

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I think I got myself stuck. I started a low-tech run, and now I find myself in the MJ12 base in the sewers. I got the security login from the guard house opposite where you enter the base, then I disabled all security and opened the door in the left tunnel. However, it seemed to have closed behind me, and can only be opened with a security keypad. The only other exit ahead is also protected by a keypad, and I have no multitools nor the right code. There's a grate beside it, but it's not selectable so I can't lockpick it. I have one LAM but I can't blow anything open :(

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!

John Dough posted:

I think I got myself stuck. I started a low-tech run, and now I find myself in the MJ12 base in the sewers. I got the security login from the guard house opposite where you enter the base, then I disabled all security and opened the door in the left tunnel. However, it seemed to have closed behind me, and can only be opened with a security keypad. The only other exit ahead is also protected by a keypad, and I have no multitools nor the right code. There's a grate beside it, but it's not selectable so I can't lockpick it. I have one LAM but I can't blow anything open :(

I just played this part, pretty sure the keypad code is 2167.

(e. you've headed towards the other entrance, btw)

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Sion posted:

When I try and run the Steam version of this in windowed mode it goes really hugely dark. I can not make out anything that is going on. Is there a work around for this?
Deus Ex requires a ridiculous gamma setting. I guess it might be possible to set your desktop gamma to allow you to see whats happening in the game, but then you won't be able to alt tab anyways because at that point, everything that isn't Deus Ex will be washed out.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

The Supreme Court posted:

I just played this part, pretty sure the keypad code is 2167.

(e. you've headed towards the other entrance, btw)

Thanks! Too bad the game crashed when I exited the facility :(

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Well I haven't gotten far with my Kill Everything playthrough, but a few choice paraphrases:

Manderly: "Oh and we're investigating a friendly fire incident that isn't that friendly"
Paul: "JESUS CHRIST JC!"
Alex Jacobsen's various freakouts.

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables

Male Man posted:

I posted a list earlier, but it didn't have every location. Here's the complete list:

Blackjack: Unique Baton. If you stay nonlethal up until you hit Hell's Kitchen then it'll show up in Paul's apartment. It does drastically boosted damage (I think around 14) and the only downside is that it can't be thrown. The Shifter change-log indicates that if you kill someone early and miss out on the Blackjack, you'll get access to two extra boxes of Explosive 10mm later on.

Toxin Blade: Unique Combat Knife. Underneath Smuggler's pillow the first time you visit Hell's Kitchen. It's essentially identical to the weapon of the same name in Invisible War, inflicting a "stun" effect on each blow, allowing you to easily stab lone enemies to death without fear of retaliation.

Magnum: Unique Pistol. It's on the back of Lebedev's bed. It does more damage but makes more noise. Mysteriously, it still uses 10mm ammo. Note that it will never be powerful enough (except if you're loading explosive bullets) to break cameras.

Lo Bruto: Unique Stealth Pistol. Carried (and used) by Jojo Fine. It's stats are a little tweaked around from the base stealth pistol. In particular, I believe that it does more damage and is slightly more accurate but has a smaller magazine capacity and more recoil. Makes for an excellent sniper pistol.

Prototype Nanoswords: Unique swords (that means they only take 3 spaces in your inventory). Mk I can be found on the person of the MiB in the MJ12 biolab underneath UNATCO. You must knock him unconscious to get it (easy with a stun prod). Mk II on corpse of Versalife employee in collapsed Canal Road tunnel. Mk III on the desk in Captain's Quarters of the Wall Cloud. They all behave largely like the DTS: doing damage multiple times per swing.

The Mk I and Mk II have an interesting property: their damage is unstable. As you wave them around, you may notice that the glow effect will change in intensity. This directly corresponds to the damage done. The Mk I does 8 base damage always, but the glow indicates the number of times it hits. No glow: 1x. Light glow: 5x. Full glow: 15x! The Mk I shifts states very quickly. The Mk II always hits 5 times, but its base damage changes. Light glow: 8 damage. Full glow: 15 damage. The glow doesn't change very quickly. The Mk III is stable at 14 (x5).

Boomstick: Unique Sawed-Off Shotgun. Found in Jock's apartment. Big damage, big recoil, 'nuff said. I believe that it can blow up cameras with enough skill and some sabot slugs.

Jackhammer: Unique Assault Shotgun. Found in the security bot hatch in Smuggler's place the last time you can visit. Fires extremely rapidly (about 10 shots a second). Great if you like overkill.

Precision Rifle: Unique Sniper Rifle. Found in the shack on top of the skyscraper in Paris Jock drops you on. Fast firing and equipped with an infrared scope (which is incompatible with the targeting aug's expanded functionality). Beware: it can't shoot out cameras.

Railgun: Unique Plasma Rifle. Can be found in the arms dealer's house in Paris or carried by Simons in Area 51. Fires a coherent beam of plasma through walls and people. Comes equipped with a scope that lets you peer through solid objects (also incompatible with the targeting aug). It eats 4 units of plasma ammo per shot and has to be reloaded each time.

I-LAW: Unique GEP gun. Found in Hell's Kitchen's sewers, underneath the boulder blocking off the MJ12 facility during your third visit. It's the size and shape of an assault shotgun, and is just as maneuverable. It carries 4 rockets in a magazine. Fires special light rockets (that can be picked off of the corpses of MJ12 commandos. Take note: these have no homing properties. Far less damaging than the GEP gun (less than 1/3 the damage), but ammo is everywhere. It'll still blow through most doors (all of them at trained skill and above), but it has trouble with 'bots. It takes 2-3 rockets to take out a "chicken-walker" security bot, and likely much more to defeat a milbot. Don't try comparing it to a LAM, either: the LAM is way more damaging than the label says. It still kills the hell out of anything made of meat, though.

Shifter's author is going to hate me for this. He really doesn't want this list circling around. So do him (and yourself) a favor; if you haven't made a pretty good effort to find these yourself, don't mouse over this list. These are meant to be rewards for exploration, so explore.

Huh. Gotta say that the Shifter author did a good job of making the unique weapons a reward for exploration considering I already found Lo Bruto and the Magnum. I missed out on the Toxin Blade and the Blackjack (just got captured by MJ12), so I really appreciate you posting the list, thanks!

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Doctor Butts posted:

Well I haven't gotten far with my Kill Everything playthrough, but a few choice paraphrases:

Manderly: "Oh and we're investigating a friendly fire incident that isn't that friendly"
Paul: "JESUS CHRIST JC!"
Alex Jacobsen's various freakouts.

Assuming that the invincible soldiers in UNATCO are the ones that are non-invincible later, only a half dozen or so people that you ever meet must survive by the game rules.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

John Dough posted:

Thanks! Too bad the game crashed when I exited the facility :(

Icarus has you

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice
If you're going to pimp a pistol might as well pimp Lo Bruto.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

etalian posted:

Icarus has you

Actually it apparently autosaved right before it crashed so I could continue normally :)

ALso I snuck into the Ton through the back window in Paul's apartment, during the hostage situation. Near the door to the hallway I dropped some stuff from my inventory, which caused the NSF soldier in the hallway to hulkburst through the door and start shooting at me.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

John Dough posted:

ALso I snuck into the Ton through the back window in Paul's apartment, during the hostage situation. Near the door to the hallway I dropped some stuff from my inventory, which caused the NSF soldier in the hallway to hulkburst through the door and start shooting at me.

The same thing can happen during the raid. It's a bit inconvenient to try to prepare an ambush and have the MIB explode through the door, shotgun blazing, while you're standing there with a gas grenade in your hand and Paul flipping his poo poo and accidentally shooting you in the back.

Fnoigy
Apr 9, 2007

I'm fine. Why do you ask?

Angry Diplomat posted:

The same thing can happen during the raid. It's a bit inconvenient to try to prepare an ambush and have the MIB explode through the door, shotgun blazing, while you're standing there with a gas grenade in your hand and Paul flipping his poo poo and accidentally shooting you in the back.
Paul secretly loves to kill. He's just so thoroughly capable of murder.

Is there a non-cheat way to activate the Dance Party ending? I thought somebody mentioned throwing the american flag into Manderley's toilet as the trigger, but I'm not sure if I remember right or if it was a serious post.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

Fnoigy posted:

Paul secretly loves to kill. He's just so thoroughly capable of murder.

Is there a non-cheat way to activate the Dance Party ending? I thought somebody mentioned throwing the american flag into Manderley's toilet as the trigger, but I'm not sure if I remember right or if it was a serious post.

That only works in DX2 to get the secret ending, IIRC. The DX1 dance ending is only available trough the cheat codes.

Stump Truck
Nov 26, 2007
Why? Yes
I actually got that far in IW and it didn't work for me :(

Fnoigy
Apr 9, 2007

I'm fine. Why do you ask?

Samopsa posted:

That only works in DX2 to get the secret ending, IIRC. The DX1 dance ending is only available trough the cheat codes.

What a shame.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Dammit Biomod, you lied to me :argh:

(The crossbow counts as a gun for no guns despite it specifically saying it does not)

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Can anyone get the mantling to work in Biomod? I started a new game after installing it but I can't figure out how to mantle. It doesn't work like in Thief if it's in. :/

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Ansob. posted:

Can anyone get the mantling to work in Biomod? I started a new game after installing it but I can't figure out how to mantle. It doesn't work like in Thief if it's in. :/

You have to rebind the Jump key for some reason (even if it's just to the same key as it was before). Then you hold jump to climb up things. Without Speed Enhancements, you can only mantle ledges that would otherwise require you to use one of those little steel boxes to scale.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Dr Snofeld posted:

You have to rebind the Jump key for some reason (even if it's just to the same key as it was before).

Cool, thanks, that fixed it. Hadn't even realised it was listed as unbound in the menu since it worked normally.

I'm sad JC doesn't make the Garrett-inhaling sound from Thief when mantling, though. :(

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

What's the time? It's DEFCON 1!
I only just noticed that after Paul defects, they station a guard outside Manderley's office. Just in case you get any ideas, I suppose :tinfoil:

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Ansob. posted:

Cool, thanks, that fixed it. Hadn't even realised it was listed as unbound in the menu since it worked normally.
It will still unbind the next time you launch the game but it will work anyway. I'm guessing the bind list was a fixed-length array or something since BioMod and Shifter seem to screw it up.

Retro-Future Rodent
Jul 30, 2008

Ranked 9327th out of 9328 players worldwide.
I've been dicking around with modding and have created a buggy crossbow that fires EMP and Scrambler darts. The game gets confused if I try to switch between it and a regular crossbow though, so it needs work. Anyway here are some details for the curious, sorry if they're a bit jumbled or vague.

Grab the editingpack and fix from this post, the one in the post below it doesn't contain the fix.

Install it to the same directory as DX. I assume Steam and D2D users are out of luck at this point.
Copy the files from the fixpack into the new Ued2 folder that was placed in your deusex directory.
Use WOTGreal to browse the contents of deusex.u (the official one and the Shifter/Biomod one are worth a look) and extract scripts from it to tinker with.
The .bat compiler from Universal Constructor in the links below is no good, but deleting your MyDumbassMod.u before running "UCC make" is easy enough to do manually.

If you just want to get coding and ignore mapping read this one page, copy some uc files from deusex.u into X:\Deusex\MyDumbassMod\Classes and run "UCC make" from the commandline, in your X:\Deusex\system folder

For proper tutorials, offtopic's backup of Tack's Deus Ex Lab and Universal Constructor, hosted on planetdeusex, seem to be the only sites up, rather than just a help forum but they were enough.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Yes but can you make a rapid fire dartgun that fires, oh I don't know... candybars?

Because I think I just might know a certain secret agent who happens to love candybars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.
Has anyone using Shifter got the Skullgun? I read that it's supposed to be in the Unatco soda machine during your escape. I did get an aug cannister there, but it was environmental resistence only.

I'm using Biomod as well, so maybe that hosed it up.