Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

theblackw0lf posted:

And it's got Clive Owen before anyone knew who he was.

Clive Owen, John Hurt, Christopher Walken and BRIAN BLESSED, to cite only the ones that are usually big actors. My reaction to this can only be summarised in one word: wat

(Also, you can identify BRIAN BLESSED by his laughter. It's the one that you have no trouble hearing over the background noise.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

AG3 posted:

If you enter a colony and click on the resource itself (food, production, research) in the colony window, it will show all the factors that affects the production of that resource on that colony, down to a decimal. I don't believe there is one that allows you to compare colonies at a glance though.

Ooooh that was exactly what I wanted. I wonder how I was able to miss that. Thanks!

AG3 posted:

I'm pretty sure Antaran attacks can be disabled from the menu when you start a new game (it's an option called "Antarans attack", not surprisingly). Unless that's what you meant :shobon:

Yeah I remember seeing an option that looks like that. Next time I restart a game I will if I can't do anything about them again in my second game.

That newest game from GOG is also looking good. I need to focus on MoO2 and Dark Fall 2 so I guess another title for the Wish List!

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

theblackw0lf posted:

And it's got Clive Owen before anyone knew who he was.

It was weird when I saw him in an actual movie and thought "Oh poo poo, it's Lev Arris!"

theBeaz
Jul 11, 2006

So I know this thread is about Good Old Games (.com)... but since it's also about good old games period I want to make sure you are all aware:

Total Annihilation (+ both expansion packs) is now available for digital download on Impulse (Stardock's Steam-like service) for :10bux:.

http://www.impulsedriven.com/totalannihilation

It pains me that this isn't on GOG (I've been dying for them to announce this title) but based on the people on this thread I'm sure there are some TA fans here... so consider yourself informed!

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

theBeaz posted:

So I know this thread is about Good Old Games (.com)... but since it's also about good old games period I want to make sure you are all aware:

Total Annihilation (+ both expansion packs) is now available for digital download on Impulse (Stardock's Steam-like service) for :10bux:.

http://www.impulsedriven.com/totalannihilation

It pains me that this isn't on GOG (I've been dying for them to announce this title) but based on the people on this thread I'm sure there are some TA fans here... so consider yourself informed!

Atari apparently has the rights to it though, so we could see it in the near future. It's totally possible.

theBeaz
Jul 11, 2006

Then I would totally buy it a 3rd time to support GOG.

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

Just played through an introduction-level difficulty game of Master of Magic and it runs perfectly; No crashes or hiccups at at all. Highly recommend it if you like Civilization or Magic: The Gathering. Gets a bit hectic when you have to micromanage 30+ cities, though (you can set the AI to manage cities but don't do this on any difficulty above Easy)

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Grawl posted:

It seems there's going to be competition for GOG - http://www.dotemu.com/

Reasons to use this service, found:

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

Blodskur posted:

Yeah but that's just bait. Don't get me wrong, good bait. But they obviously won't continue to do that forever.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler
That must be a little too retro and/or obscure for me, I don't recognise any of those titles.

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Overwined posted:

Yeah but that's just bait. Don't get me wrong, good bait. But they obviously won't continue to do that forever.
I know. That's why I'm just using it for their free games. Plus it's more expensive to use them as they're selling stuff in Euros, so GOG is still the best option for me.

Also: your feedback are important !!

Gashroom
Jul 13, 2005
Re: Wing Commander / Freespace discussion

There's a Freespace SCP-based Wing Commander game in the works, with a small Prologue release out.

I think it was pretty well done, though can't really say how well it captures the WC feel since I only played Prophecy a long time ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJDjcBszIaA

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Thanks for the heads up on the WC-themed game. It's good whenever there's a space sim available.

What happened to all the good space games? Seems like the best I can do these days is X3: Terran Conflict. That's a good game in spite of its many flaws, but it doesn't really fill the spacefighter void very well.

Has anyone played that Echelon game that came out back around 2001? I never had the chance but I wish GOG would add it.

FearOfABlackKnob
Nov 5, 2008

by Ozma

Blodskur posted:

Whoa... Nicky Boom and METAL Mutant? gently caress you Gog, this is where the new hotness is.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

and, for two whole days. Each!

I'm not going to sneer too hard at them just yet, but if they are going to enforce a 2-day-only playtime on their first games, some form of DRM must be present, either a steam-like overmind app, or a time-bombed installation.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Is Nicky Boom a hobbit or just a really, really fat kid? It's kind of gross seeing his lipstick smeared face jump around with his gut flopping about in those skin-tight brown trousers of his.

rt4 posted:

Thanks for the heads up on the WC-themed game. It's good whenever there's a space sim available.

What happened to all the good space games? Seems like the best I can do these days is X3: Terran Conflict. That's a good game in spite of its many flaws, but it doesn't really fill the spacefighter void very well.

Has anyone played that Echelon game that came out back around 2001? I never had the chance but I wish GOG would add it.

They died with the flightstick.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

rt4 posted:

http://www.starwraith.com/evochronlegends/index.htm

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
That looks really cool. I wish more of these indie games would get Linux ports...

Magnificent Quiver
May 8, 2003

al-azad posted:

They died with the flightstick.

That's horseshit though, since console gamepads are a pretty good substitute for a joystick. How come they're rare even on consoles?

lethial
Apr 29, 2009
Speaking of good space games: Nexus: Jupiter Incident looks like a good game that went unnoticed at its release. I would love to try it if it shows up on gog.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

lethial posted:

Speaking of good space games: Nexus: Jupiter Incident looks like a good game that went unnoticed at its release. I would love to try it if it shows up on gog.

That looks like fun. Time to go vote for it on the list. I'd like to see Bridge Commander and Independence War on there, too since were on the topic of spacecaptaining.

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit

This game is great. Somebody host a goon server already you only have to download 2 megs. :q:

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Magnificent Quiver posted:

That's horseshit though, since console gamepads are a pretty good substitute for a joystick. How come they're rare even on consoles?

Because they cost a fair bit to make and are incredibly niche. The megapublishers don't want to take the financial risk and indies can't afford the entry costs to develop proper games on console (rather than XBLA/PSN/Wii Market titles that don't sell if priced above $/£10/€).

Weedle
May 31, 2006

lethial posted:

It's on Steam for $10 and works fine in XP, Vista and 7.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/6420/

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

lethial posted:

I've always wanted to try it, but I haven't had the chance. I think the demo was pretty tough to follow as well, given the complexity of the game.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Velius posted:

I've always wanted to try it, but I haven't had the chance. I think the demo was pretty tough to follow as well, given the complexity of the game.

The demo is ridiculous. It just drops you in a massive battle mid-way through the main campaign while surrounded by mine-fields. Super fun game once you get into it.

I'm kind of sad that Nexus is the unrealized sequel to Imperium Galactica, an early 3D 4X game and one of the few (if only) space titles that take place in space and on the surface of planets that you can actually control. It's neat building your space army then zooming in on a planet's surface to drop a couple of buildings down while steam rolling through your opponent's planetary city.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Space: Total War :swoon:

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

rt4 posted:

Space: Total War :swoon:
Imperium Galactica 2 actually sort of reminds me of the first 2 Total War games, in that the AI liked to created one or two huge groups of units which would stomp all over the map. Then you'd eventually have these massive battles against those fleets, and if you managed to win decisively you will have broken the back of their military.

Not that realistic but it was dramatic as hell knowing that a war may be decided entirely on how well you did in a single battle.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Imperium Galactica 2 was one of my favorite games when I was younger. I loving loved it. Played the poo poo out of the demo for months, then borrowed the game from a friend. Never did buy it. I wouldn't mind changing that.

Gashroom
Jul 13, 2005
Imperium Galactica devs made Haegemonia as well.

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007

rt4 posted:

I had Echelon back in the day, I remember it being great fun. Some of the missions were epic with whole wings of fighters and bombers taking part in operations, while others had you defend downed aircraft carriers and take on enemy aces single handed. I'd love to play it again and I heard it had a stand alone expansion pack too.

Magnificent Quiver
May 8, 2003

Ansob. posted:

Because they cost a fair bit to make and are incredibly niche. The megapublishers don't want to take the financial risk and indies can't afford the entry costs to develop proper games on console (rather than XBLA/PSN/Wii Market titles that don't sell if priced above $/£10/€).

They don't cost a fair bit to make though - aside from cinematics, of which Freespace didn't have a whole lot, there are very few actual assets in the game. You don't have to construct levels, create a whole bank of textures, do a lot of complicated models, etc.

And the niche appeal I think is circular thinking. "Space games have niche appeal, because there aren't many of them. There aren't many of them because they have niche appeal."

My guess is that they were never a great way to showcase the graphical potential of a system which is what makes publishers want to fund your game and most consumers want to buy it.

lethial
Apr 29, 2009

Weedle posted:

It's on Steam for $10 and works fine in XP, Vista and 7.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/6420/

Oh nice, thanks! I never thought to actually look there for it. :oops: Hmmm, I wonder, what would be the chance of it showing up on gog... Decisions, decisions...

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I always thought the opposite; you can show off fancy new pixel shaders and high-poly models because there is no complicated world geometry or foliage to slow things down. You can make really nice graphics that outpace the technical abilities of other genres while maintaining a high framerate, which users appreciate.

lethial
Apr 29, 2009

rt4 posted:

I always thought the opposite; you can show off fancy new pixel shaders and high-poly models because there is no complicated world geometry or foliage to slow things down. You can make really nice graphics that outpace the technical abilities of other genres while maintaining a high framerate, which users appreciate.

I think you forgot that by today's standard, blood and gore and highly detailed renders of boobs and buttocks are the most important elements in showing off a complex graphics system. ;)

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

lethial posted:

I worked at Sierra just after this came out, so we had tons of free copies sitting around and they give them away and whatever. My one friend was hooked on this game, he played a wide range of stupid games however. Just before this he was hooked on Bad Boys the video game, then he was hooked on Cake Mania, but he would load up Nexus every now and then. He broke his disc and hasn't been able to play it (he snapped it in rage one day) and I've been dying trying to find a way to replace it for him (steam is too much of a hassle to gift it) and getting a copy on GOG would be better for him, no cd needed!

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Every so often I have a look at the alpha trailer of Nexus 2 and weep for what might have been.

Nexus had far too many terrible 'gimmick' missions and not nearly enough frontline battles against the Gorg.

Tecman
Sep 11, 2003

Loading the Universe...
Please Wait.

Pillbug
If you've bought Blood, this may interest you (you may have seen it from the 2.5D thread, and for some reason I cannot post in it right now):

What is it? A package that contains pretty much every Blood map and modification out there. I guess it's done (until the public finds about a billion more bugs I've missed, ugh) - http://blood.nanoaugur.net - grab the full version, the patch is for testers that want to update their version from 0.9 :)

Installation instructions are in the file and also here. If you can rehost, please do so. This is a lovely Dreamhost account and I've had it die under a goon(fleet) rush before. :(

EDIT: PATCHES:

http://www.nanoaugur.net/blood/One_Unit_Whole_Mods_Patch_0.9.4.rar (fixes a fuckup with the custom map loader).
http://www.nanoaugur.net/blood/One_Unit_Whole_Mods_Patch_0.9.5.rar (updates zBlood to the newest version).
http://www.nanoaugur.net/blood/One_Unit_Whole_Mods_Patch_0.9.6.rar (fixes the Bloodlines mod textures).
Get ALL THREE patches please!

edit (Thanks, Grawl):
Download torrent81 (1 files; 537.73 MB)
View torrent stats

Tecman fucked around with this message at 04:42 on May 1, 2010

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Tecman posted:

If you've bought Blood, this may interest you (you may have seen it from the 2.5D thread, and for some reason I cannot post in it right now):

What is it? A package that contains pretty much every Blood map and modification out there. I guess it's done (until the public finds about a billion more bugs I've missed, ugh) - http://blood.nanoaugur.net - grab the full version, the patch is for testers that want to update their version from 0.9 :)

Installation instructions are in the file and also here. If you can rehost, please do so. This is a lovely Dreamhost account and I've had it die under a goon(fleet) rush before. :(

edit (Thanks, Grawl):
Download torrent81 (1 files; 537.73 MB)
View torrent stats

This looks pretty awesome. :)

Does it include bMouse? After using that I can't ever imagine going back to Blood's default mouselook behavior.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tecman
Sep 11, 2003

Loading the Universe...
Please Wait.

Pillbug

sethsez posted:

This looks pretty awesome. :)

Does it include bMouse? After using that I can't ever imagine going back to Blood's default mouselook behavior.

Yup, bMouse is included in every mod/launcher option (unless I hosed something up, in which case - welp).