Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

Fyrbrand posted:

So, conceivably, one could make "paint kits" in much the same vein as terrain kits?

Yeah for sure. Ill be putting together some stuff over the next few days before I order my stock.

In the meantime, if anyone has any non-GW/non-PP stuff they are interested in, PM me or email me at paint.vagrant@gmail.com.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

I look forward to supporting your new endeavor.

Would you, by chance be able to get ahold of a full paint line? Like those complete kits they sell?

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Fix posted:

I look forward to supporting your new endeavor.

Would you, by chance be able to get ahold of a full paint line? Like those complete kits they sell?

I think so, hit up my email and Ill give you the deets, Ive cluttered up our lovely mini thread with too much self promotion :clint:

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.
Here's another shot. I'm not too good with a camera

the wire thing is that mesh stuff clay modelers use. I was too lazy to cut up more guitar string and needed something for the chest

Also the rivets are crooked :(

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
It looks pretty cool man, I was just joshin' ya. The mesh is a good idea.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Is the head just tacked in? I think it would look better looking less upwards. I like the details on the chest, the mesh stuff is kewl

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.
Thanks for the comments. Originally the dread torso wasn't positioned so upright so the head was okay. I'll go back and change it

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!

crime fighting hog posted:

Where are you guys getting this ultrasonic jewelery cleaner? I found some cheap ones and expensive ones online, what do you use?

I got mine for 25 bucks from Wal-Mart. There are cheaper ones out there, I'm sure, but I went a little extra to get a large, two-chamber one. No idea why, but I'm sure some day I'll find a legitimate reason to have a dual-chambered sonic bath.

PaintVagrant posted:

They have 2 lines, actually.

Ive used them both and they both work very well, and since I carry them now, I foresee me using them more in the future :cool:

They have three! The airbrush colors, which are pre-formulated to go straight into an airbrush.
Sell those. I will buy the gently caress out of them.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out
Where's a good site to get Vallejo Air paint?

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

I have no loving clue, which is why I want PV to sell them. :ohdear:

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

It doesn't feel right to kill an unarmed man... but I'll get over it.
The Warstore carries Vallejo model air, they're only sold out of the kits that come with an airbrush. Probably not the *most* economical, but not awful.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

PaintVagrant posted:

US goons: let me know what sort of paints/modelling products youd like to see at my store. I can get basically anything non-GW.

I think the better question is, what kind of deals will you have? Your basing kits own and I am buying the huge bling one as soon as I order my Searforged models to make them look even better. Should we expect similar levels of bargain awesomeness?

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I'm thinking about making some bases in the style of the dragonforge lost empire's ones (he only does one set of 25mm and pretty much all eldar are on 25mm, so I'm thinking of variety and saving money). Would I be better using plasticard or foamcore for the floor tiles ? Thickness is about 3mm and I'll be wanting to distress them a bit and engrave some details.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

I'm thinking about making some bases in the style of the dragonforge lost empire's ones (he only does one set of 25mm and pretty much all eldar are on 25mm, so I'm thinking of variety and saving money). Would I be better using plasticard or foamcore for the floor tiles ? Thickness is about 3mm and I'll be wanting to distress them a bit and engrave some details.

Definitely plasticard, foamcard/foamcore is way too spongey for anything outside of basic terrain building (for basic shape etc.) - you won't be able to distress / warp / engrave it much as it's just basically glossy card on the outsides.

Plus, at those sizes, it'd be a nightmare to cut neatly. I'd definitely go for plasticard.

LintMan
Mar 12, 2006
Be seening you
Here are some pics of my finished platoon:

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

ASK ME ABOUT TONING MY FINE ASS DWARVEN BOOTY BY RUNNING FROM THE COPS OUTSIDE THAT ELF KINDERGARTEN

BEHOLD THE DONG OF THE DWARVES! THE DWARVEN DONG IS COMING!
Those are looking good. What did you use for the grass?

LintMan
Mar 12, 2006
Be seening you
Some strange brand for the tuffs which I paid too much for. The greener static grass is woodland scenics and the lighter stuff is GF9 dead grass which is my favourite static grass in the world.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

I think the better question is, what kind of deals will you have? Your basing kits own and I am buying the huge bling one as soon as I order my Searforged models to make them look even better. Should we expect similar levels of bargain awesomeness?

I def will have some good prices, and I will probably do some kits/etc as well.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

PaintVagrant posted:

Yeah for sure. Ill be putting together some stuff over the next few days before I order my stock.

In the meantime, if anyone has any non-GW/non-PP stuff they are interested in, PM me or email me at paint.vagrant@gmail.com.

If you make paint kits, you should include a few tutorial pamphlets like what was with the bling kit.

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Alas, our kitten class attack ships were no match for their mighty chairs
Collect junk watches and smash them to collect valuable cogs for steampunk basing.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I'm trying to figure out what colors come closest to this pattern in citadel colors. Can anyone lend a hand or should I just try military colors to make it easy on myself?

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Charadon granite with varying amounts of khaki ?

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Zarkov Cortez posted:

Collect junk watches and smash them to collect valuable cogs for steampunk basing.

If I had a nearby flea market I would totally do this. Plus, smashing watches is awesome

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

TheKingslayer posted:

I'm trying to figure out what colors come closest to this pattern in citadel colors. Can anyone lend a hand or should I just try military colors to make it easy on myself?

argh, I forget the name of it.. but there's a P3 paint, I think it's thornwood green, that's a pretty good match once you lighten it up a bit (it's quite close to charadon granite)

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

Zarkov Cortez posted:

oh my loving god why didn't i think of this years ago

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Zarkov Cortez posted:

PaintVagrant posted:

If I had a nearby flea market I would totally do this. Plus, smashing watches is awesome

crime fighting hog posted:

oh my loving god why didn't i think of this years ago

You guys are so behind the times :rolleyes:

Hasslefree have this poo poo covered, in 2g & 4g sacks

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Just so you know, tiny clock parts like that are ridiculously light and thin, and they really don't look right when you mix them with 40k stuff. Seriously, clock gears are often a quarter or a mm or less in thickness, and comparable 40k stuff is like 3mm thick. They look very fragile and kind of out of place.

Aetilus
May 8, 2005

by Lowtax

Ashcans posted:

Just so you know, tiny clock parts like that are ridiculously light and thin, and they really don't look right when you mix them with 40k stuff. Seriously, clock gears are often a quarter or a mm or less in thickness, and comparable 40k stuff is like 3mm thick. They look very fragile and kind of out of place.

they'll look fine if you use them for basing.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Maybe, I tried to use them to bling out my Orks and they looked like my Grots had made tiny cardboard cutouts of real gears to glue onto their kans. :(

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
easy solution: glue 30 identical gears together to form a decently thick version!

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Or buy thicker gears?
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=30962

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

PaintVagrant posted:

I def will have some good prices, and I will probably do some kits/etc as well.

Yessssss.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Cakefool posted:

Or buy thicker gears?
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=30962

There is that, and Plastruct sells basically any sort of gear you can imagine. I just wanted people to know that bashing up old watches is going to give you a pretty limited use item in terms of modeling. Good for bases, I guess, but not for actual 40k machinery.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

You can always make your own cogs.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Thanks for the procreate suggestions duders, it worked way better for me than GS

This model was such a jerk, I split my thumb, razorsawed my left index finger, and put him together and took him apart like 7 times total. I didnt settle though, Im pretty happy with the end result :3:

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

That looks fantastic. I can't wait to see the finished model. Some OSL coming from the eyes and helmet gem of the downed statue would be pretty awesome.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Thanks man. Thats a pretty good idea,I was also considering the Yme-Loc symbol on his chest, since its a big flat area atm

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

PaintVagrant posted:

This model was such a jerk, I split my thumb, razorsawed my left index finger, and put him together and took him apart like 7 times total. I didn't settle though, I'm pretty happy with the end result :3:

This owns so hard, and the base owns just as much.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

PaintVagrant posted:

Thanks for the procreate suggestions duders, it worked way better for me than GS

Yeah buddy. :hfive:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

PaintVagrant posted:

This model was such a jerk, I split my thumb, razorsawed my left index finger, and put him together and took him apart like 7 times total. I didnt settle though, Im pretty happy with the end result :3:

:awesome:

• Locked thread