Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Copper Vein posted:

Has anyone using Shifter got the Skullgun? I read that it's supposed to be in the Unatco soda machine during your escape. I did get an aug cannister there, but it was environmental resistence only.

I'm using Biomod as well, so maybe that hosed it up.

Yeah, it was totally supposed to be there. There's only one other opportunity to get one, at the cathedral when you fight Gunther he drops a canister. But you have to actually fight him, if you use the killswitch he doesn't drop it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Retro-Future Rodent
Jul 30, 2008

Ranked 9327th out of 9328 players worldwide.

GreatGreen posted:

Yes but can you make a rapid fire dartgun that fires, oh I don't know... candybars?

Because I think I just might know a certain secret agent who happens to love candybars.

gently caress yes, I can! Gimme a moment.

SnipeBob
Dec 8, 2006

"You mechs may have copper wiring to reroute your fear of pain, but I've got nerves of steel."

Doctor Butts posted:

Well I haven't gotten far with my Kill Everything playthrough, but a few choice paraphrases:

Manderly: "Oh and we're investigating a friendly fire incident that isn't that friendly"
Paul: "JESUS CHRIST JC!"
Alex Jacobsen's various freakouts.

How you trigger Manderly's quote there? I've never seen that one before.

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme

I don't think this is right...

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Hmm, so I installed this and the dx10 renderer, and used dxfix.exe and so on, as outlined in the OP.

I have one weird problem though: the voice messages (and associated text on the top of the screen) cut out in about a second or two. It doesn't matter what the source is, they all start playing and then almost instantly stop. I can't figure out why, but I suspect it might have something to do with my CPU having multiple cores? I have the multicore fix applied though, so I'm confused.

Specs if this will help:
Core i5-750
4GB RAM
Radeon 4890HD
Win 7 x64

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Robit the paranoid blogger.

ArcMage posted:

I don't think this is right...
In terms of the story, is Paul considered dead or alive?

Ohio State BOOniversity
Mar 3, 2008

Ohio State BOOniversity fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Dec 28, 2015

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Gonkish posted:

Hmm, so I installed this and the dx10 renderer, and used dxfix.exe and so on, as outlined in the OP.

I have one weird problem though: the voice messages (and associated text on the top of the screen) cut out in about a second or two. It doesn't matter what the source is, they all start playing and then almost instantly stop. I can't figure out why, but I suspect it might have something to do with my CPU having multiple cores? I have the multicore fix applied though, so I'm confused.

Specs if this will help:
Core i5-750
4GB RAM
Radeon 4890HD
Win 7 x64

I'm running Deus Ex on a multi-core computer too with DX10 and the multi-core fix and I haven't experienced that problem, so I'm not thinking that's the issue (unless the multi-core fix didn't stick). However, do lines of dialogue in cut scenes skip the last few words? Mine does that. I was having other audio problems and fixed it by typing "preferences" and changing several channel and refresh settings in the audio tab.

My most recent playthrough has really cemented my belief that there's something special about Deus Ex that makes it a great game, but it's hard to put my finger on exactly what. It's sort of like "The Big Lebowski"...it's good, but I can't exactly explain why it's so memorable when copycats accomplishing virtually the same thing fall so short. Maybe it has something to do with all of the tiny little tidbits of information the designers sprinkled into the game, knowing full well most people will never encounter them, and all of the subtle areas that a casual player could easily walk by ten times and never find. Who knows.

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Apr 29, 2010

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

I fixed the audio cutting off by going into power management settings and changing the minimum processor speed to 100%. If you're using the DX10 renderer, the multi-core fix shouldn't affect things one way or the other since it takes care of that on its own.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Zero Star posted:

In terms of the story, is Paul considered dead or alive?

Schroedinger's Paul.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Mr_Person posted:

I fixed the audio cutting off by going into power management settings and changing the minimum processor speed to 100%. If you're using the DX10 renderer, the multi-core fix shouldn't affect things one way or the other since it takes care of that on its own.

You could also try turning on VSync in the renderer's options. I forget how to do it though, check its website.

Stump Truck
Nov 26, 2007
Why? Yes
press the chat button, delete "say" and type 'preferences'. Go to renderer, choose the one you're currently using and switch VSync to on

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Vsync results in horrible mouse lag. Use the OpenGL renderer and a 60 FPS limit. The DX10 renderer is poo poo.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

K8.0 posted:

Vsync results in horrible mouse lag. Use the OpenGL renderer and a 60 FPS limit. The DX10 renderer is poo poo.

Different systems different results and all that. Works perfectly on an 8800GTS.

Le Sean
Feb 18, 2006
Magazines call me a Rockstar, Girls call me Cockstar
Getting Miguel out of UNATCO is incredibly rewarding, especially when you try taking him with you to Hong Kong/New York.

He's just so nice! :)

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Le Sean posted:

Getting Miguel out of UNATCO is incredibly rewarding, especially when you try taking him with you to Hong Kong/New York.

He's just so nice! :)

I once got him almost all the way out only for him to be killed by the guard at the retinal scanner at the UNATCO entrance. :( I now make sure to keep him out of harms way. And give him an assault shotgun, thanks to Shifter.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

modestduty posted:

Anyone else use this username/password combo for random stuff? Nothing important (shouldn't be too hard for someone to guess the password with that username) but I still use it from time to time.

I know I ALWAYS used it as my username/password for Uplink (Hacker Elite). And yeah, I got the Deus Ex theme for that game, too :cool:.

nsf001/smashthestate is the generic username I use on sites that force you to sign up before downloading anything.

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme

Lowen SoDium posted:

Schroedinger's Paul.

I was slaughtered in the midst of blackjacking an MIB, but they're saying he's alive.

I also somehow ended up back in my cell with no body; the medibot handled that though.

H1KE
May 7, 2007

Somehow, I don't think they'd approve the franchise...

Click here for the full 1024x768 image.

They better have something to eat for me too, I'm starving.

CaptainWinky
Jun 13, 2001

ArcMage posted:

I was slaughtered in the midst of blackjacking an MIB, but they're saying he's alive.

I also somehow ended up back in my cell with no body; the medibot handled that though.

I think this happened to me once too and is mentioned in the Sunglasses at Night walkthrough. The imagine of JC's severed head moving around by working his jaw is pretty hilarious.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

CaptainWinky posted:

I think this happened to me once too and is mentioned in the Sunglasses at Night walkthrough. The imagine of JC's severed head moving around by working his jaw is pretty hilarious.

"How did you kill that MIB with no arms and no legs?"

"My jaw is augmented."

Le Sean
Feb 18, 2006
Magazines call me a Rockstar, Girls call me Cockstar

Luigi Thirty posted:

"How did you kill that MIB with no arms and no legs?"

"My jaw is augmented."

"Wa au ame."

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
I finished another playthrough tonight, I can now get on with my life again.

Stump Truck
Nov 26, 2007
Why? Yes
I'm just starting an Unrealistic game in Shifter. I'm going to see how far I can get using just the crowbar and pepper spray. I'm definitely going with the combat strength aug but I can't decide if silent running is acceptable or not. I know that at some point I'm going to be just running around everywhere. As it is the crowbar only takes like 2 hits to kill normal NSF usually. Less if you're sneaky. Some other ideas for this playthrough:

-since I'll only be using 2 weapons I'll have plenty of inventory space. That means lots of candy bars, chips, soy food, soda, booze, cigs. I think I'll try doing it with no medkits, but I have to use any food/drink/cigs at the time that I pick them up.
-Be a dick in general (e.g. get Savage's daughter killed) - JC Denton takes orders from no man. Stanton Dowd doesn't look THAT sick, I'm sure someone else could use ambrosia more than him.

Chunderbucket
Aug 31, 2006

I had a beer with Stephen Miller once and now I like him.

Stump Truck posted:

I'm just starting an Unrealistic game in Shifter. I'm going to see how far I can get using just the crowbar and pepper spray. I'm definitely going with the combat strength aug but I can't decide if silent running is acceptable or not. I know that at some point I'm going to be just running around everywhere. As it is the crowbar only takes like 2 hits to kill normal NSF usually. Less if you're sneaky. Some other ideas for this playthrough:

-since I'll only be using 2 weapons I'll have plenty of inventory space. That means lots of candy bars, chips, soy food, soda, booze, cigs. I think I'll try doing it with no medkits, but I have to use any food/drink/cigs at the time that I pick them up.
-Be a dick in general (e.g. get Savage's daughter killed) - JC Denton takes orders from no man. Stanton Dowd doesn't look THAT sick, I'm sure someone else could use ambrosia more than him.

The ocean looks sick, give it to the ocean.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Stump Truck posted:

You can use the Ambrosia vial in the game, I like drinking it infront of him, even though it does absolutely nothing

bartkusa
Sep 25, 2005

Air, Fire, Earth, Hope

Fag Boy Jim posted:

You can use the Ambrosia vial in the game, I like drinking it infront of him, even though it does absolutely nothing

Can you do anything with the Gray Death vial?

Retro-Future Rodent
Jul 30, 2008

Ranked 9327th out of 9328 players worldwide.

GreatGreen posted:

Yes but can you make a rapid fire dartgun that fires, oh I don't know... candybars?

Because I think I just might know a certain secret agent who happens to love candybars.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBtjNzdBHJI :smugdog:

First time using windows movie maker, so chances are the music's a tad loud. Had to put it on though, camstudio wouldn't detect my soundcard properly.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Retro-Future Rodent posted:

First time using windows movie maker, so chances are the music's a tad loud. Had to put it on though, camstudio wouldn't detect my soundcard properly.

This is amazing. You are amazing.

Thank you.

(post the mod pleeeeeease!)

Baby Cakes
Nov 3, 2005

I AM BECOME DEATH

Retro-Future Rodent posted:

A high-calorie takedown is always the most silent takedown.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Baby Cakes posted:

A high-calorie takedown is always the most silent takedown.

Diabetes, the quietest takedown.

tolerabletariff
Jul 3, 2009

Do you think I'm spooky?

Lowen SoDium posted:

Schroedinger's Paul.

Alive. You meet him in DX2.

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

I'm in NSF headquarter on Paul's request, looking for proof that Manderley is taking bribes and he wants me to align the satellite and whatnot. Couple questions:
Is that Augmentation canister still down here somewhere? Or was my only chance to get it the first time I was through here.
Where is this proof? I found the datacube, but that only had the passwords I needed for the satellite broadcast. Paul said "look around, you'll find all the proof you need" or something - but I can't even find a newspaper, let alone another datacube.
What exactly am I warning the NSF and Silhouette about? That UNATCO is bad? They already knew that. That Lebedev is dead? (By my own hand, no less). Or... what?

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Dr Snofeld posted:

You could also try turning on VSync in the renderer's options. I forget how to do it though, check its website.

VSync is, in the current revision at least, enabled by default. It makes the game more or less run at the right speed, but dialogue is still all weird unless I max out the CPU. It does introduce a slight amount of mouse lag, but Deus Ex is hardly a twitch shooter.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

stratdax posted:

What exactly am I warning the NSF and Silhouette about? That UNATCO is bad? They already knew that. That Lebedev is dead? (By my own hand, no less). Or... what?

The warning is mainly that MJ12 is moving to launch a massive offensive against Silhouette.

Silhouette was always a more prankser/non-violence type resistance organization meaning they really don't have the means to survive a sudden brutal assault from MJ12 in collusion with more legitimate enforcement authorities.

HardCorey
Jan 11, 2010

stratdax posted:

Where is this proof? I found the datacube, but that only had the passwords I needed for the satellite broadcast. Paul said "look around, you'll find all the proof you need" or something - but I can't even find a newspaper, let alone another datacube.

See, this is why I wanted to call bull poo poo and just head to Hong Kong and become best friends with Navarre. I couldn't find any proof beyond hearsay. Is there actually any "proof"?

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Paul explains it as being a detailed list of financial records proving that Manderley's on MJ12's payroll. Before you find it your objectives basically say, "see if Paul is telling the truth, and if so send the signal" and once you find it, your objective changes to just "send the signal." You don't get a note you can read, presumably because nobody wanted to be arsed to write 100 pages of fake economic conspiracy poo poo, but the storyline explanation is that JC finds some pretty irrefutable proof on that datapad.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

HardCorey posted:

See, this is why I wanted to call bull poo poo and just head to Hong Kong and become best friends with Navarre. I couldn't find any proof beyond hearsay. Is there actually any "proof"?

There's a datapad in the tunnels underneath the warehouse. It's in a room with a lot of server racks, on top of one of the racks. The corner is poking out so you can get it from below.

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

Angry Diplomat posted:

Paul explains it as being a detailed list of financial records proving that Manderley's on MJ12's payroll. Before you find it your objectives basically say, "see if Paul is telling the truth, and if so send the signal" and once you find it, your objective changes to just "send the signal." You don't get a note you can read, presumably because nobody wanted to be arsed to write 100 pages of fake economic conspiracy poo poo, but the storyline explanation is that JC finds some pretty irrefutable proof on that datapad.

No, it's only after you find the datacube that he specifically tells you to look around the room, there is all the proof you need in there. There is no way the designers should have put that in - telling you specifically to look in that room for the proof (after you find the datacube with the satellite password) if there wasn't something there. Especially considering how detailed the rest of the game is.

Tarezax posted:

There's a datapad in the tunnels underneath the warehouse. It's in a room with a lot of server racks, on top of one of the racks. The corner is poking out so you can get it from below.

I think you're describing the datacube that has the password for the satellite. When you find this, Paul tells you to look in that room for the proof you need to be convinved. I can't find any proof at all. Angry Diplomat's explanation makes no sense because of this - it's not understood that you received the proof if Paul tells you to look for it after you receive his message.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
I could have sworn he mentions the financial information beforehand, when you're in his apartment. I'm playing through again with Biomod so maybe I can figure out what's up when I get to that part again.