Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel
This 11:30AM nose dive is starting to get old.

PS
INTC god damnit, what the hell got up your rear end...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PsychoAndy
Jul 21, 2003
what

Cheesemaster200 posted:

This 11:30AM nose dive is starting to get old.

PS
INTC god damnit, what the hell got up your rear end...

Apparently Spain getting downgraded has an effect on our markets. Like increasing the price of silver WTF.

Speaking of precious metals, gold is lookin pretty good over the week, so I'm preparing for it to drop like 50 bucks in a day.

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel

PsychoAndy posted:

Apparently Spain getting downgraded has an effect on our markets. Like increasing the price of silver WTF.

Speaking of precious metals, gold is lookin pretty good over the week, so I'm preparing for it to drop like 50 bucks in a day.

Europe :argh:

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
F is falling hard today...

Baddog
May 12, 2001

mlmp08 posted:

F is falling hard today...

ford was at 8 in 2008 before the crash, now its over 13.

Isn't that some irrational exuberance?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Yeah, and I deeply envy my coworker who got in at 2.50 or so, though he sold at 9.

Then he got back in at 14 or so...

Plastic Jesus
Aug 26, 2006

I'm cranky most of the time.
The post-fed announcement "rally" feels perfunctory and forced. It's like people know they're supposed to sell treasuries and buy stocks but their hearts just aren't in it.

Also interesting that the RUT is only up 50bps while the SPX is up 86. Yesterday's action definitely seems to have reduced the risk appetite.

Edit: goddamn I want to get short of MOT ahead of earnings. Must.maintain.discipline.

Edit edit: gently caress it, BOT May $7 puts for funsies.

Plastic Jesus fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Apr 28, 2010

destructo
Apr 29, 2006
Any opinions on JASO? Solar stocks in general?

destructo fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Apr 28, 2010

Plastic Jesus
Aug 26, 2006

destructo posted:

Any opinions on JASO? Solar stocks in general?

JASO is tough to hold if you don't like swings, though that's the case for most solar companies. TAN is a bit less volatile but doesn't have the lottery-ticket appeal.

In other news HPQ tendered an all-cash offer for PALM at $5.70. Both boards have agreed but there will likely be a lot of pissed off PALM shareholders wondering why they aren't getting HPQ shares. Oh, and if you're short PALM under $5.70 you're proper-hosed.

Hobologist
May 4, 2007

We'll have one entire section labelled "for degenerates"
The SEC has filings from all companies available on its website. Does anyone know if any other countries have a financial authority that does that?

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion

I WANT TO EAT BABBY posted:

JASO is tough to hold if you don't like swings, though that's the case for most solar companies. TAN is a bit less volatile but doesn't have the lottery-ticket appeal.

In other news HPQ tendered an all-cash offer for PALM at $5.70. Both boards have agreed but there will likely be a lot of pissed off PALM shareholders wondering why they aren't getting HPQ shares. Oh, and if you're short PALM under $5.70 you're proper-hosed.

Yeah I just saw this news. If Palm couldn't revive itself with their new smart phones I doubt HP can add any luster to the brand. It'll probably just get absorbed into the HP brand and they'll start trying to market their own smart mobiles.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

tehschulman posted:

Yeah I just saw this news. If Palm couldn't revive itself with their new smart phones I doubt HP can add any luster to the brand. It'll probably just get absorbed into the HP brand and they'll start trying to market their own smart mobiles.
More likely they'll use Palm's engineering and software experience to make HP tablets that don't suck (Slate).

Mulletstation
May 9, 2004

mo' mullets mo' problems
chinese solar is owning, despite german subsidy cutbacks

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006

strwrsxprt posted:

More likely they'll use Palm's engineering and software experience to make HP tablets that don't suck (Slate).

They sell a lot of pda type things to companies such as target when implementing inventory systems...

Jack
Jan 19, 2001
I think it might be the right time to lighten up on BIDU. Still even at $700 it is better than GOOG.

I do think over $860 its a short though.

TSL is the best solar in my opinion although the EURO is the biggest risk to the sector and I'd be worried should it start falling below 1.30.

Dr. Jackal
Sep 13, 2009
where's the guy who bought FSLR at 126?

Are we really back on the rally or are people just stuffing their money back in after the Greek panic yesterday?

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."
RIG is getting fuckin brutalized.

Real-Time: 79.40 Down 5.43 (6.40%) 11:26AM EDT

unnoticed
Nov 29, 2005

That's odd...

pr0k posted:

RIG is getting fuckin brutalized.

Real-Time: 79.40 Down 5.43 (6.40%) 11:26AM EDT

So's BP, seems like a good time to buy it

destructo
Apr 29, 2006
Pretty happy I bought some JASO yesterday, to hold or keep 7%? Decisions.

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."

unnoticed posted:

So's BP, seems like a good time to buy it

I think I'll hold off until the oil spill news at least slows down. Right now it's still accelerating.

InternetChamp
Sep 17, 2004
E-friends forever :)
Check out "DCTH" Delcath systems. It's a Biotech stock that's currently in Stage 3 of clinical trials for a drug that is a more effective way to administer chemotherapy for liver cancer patients. It jumped by 30% in aftermarket trading about a week ago on news that the clinical trials are going well. News on whether or not their drug gets FDA approval will be in the middle of May. IF it gets the final approval from the FDA it's going to jump from 16 to 20-25 a share.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

InternetChamp posted:

Check out "DCTH" Delcath systems. It's a Biotech stock that's currently in Stage 3 of clinical trials for a drug that is a more effective way to administer chemotherapy for liver cancer patients. It jumped by 30% in aftermarket trading about a week ago on news that the clinical trials are going well. News on whether or not their drug gets FDA approval will be in the middle of May. IF it gets the final approval from the FDA it's going to jump from 16 to 20-25 a share.
This news is at best a month too late, no point now unless you're willing to risk holding through approval.

edit: Did you really do your reading and understand it? Phase III is over, not ongoing. A p value of 0.001 with a hazard ratio of 0.46 IS worth mentioning though, please don't tell me you just jumped into this on a whim without knowing anything about the FDA approval process or what these numbers mean.

destructo fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Apr 29, 2010

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
DNDN 4 life! Their new prostate cancer drug got FDA approval sometime around 12:30 and it made me a happy man.

InternetChamp
Sep 17, 2004
E-friends forever :)

destructo posted:

This news is at best a month too late, no point now unless you're willing to risk holding through approval.

edit: Did you really do your reading and understand it? Phase III is over, not ongoing. A p value of 0.001 with a hazard ratio of 0.46 IS worth mentioning though, please don't tell me you just jumped into this on a whim without knowing anything about the FDA approval process or what these numbers mean.

Nope, and I own no shares of it, It's just the word in certain circles on the street. I am in no way shape or form an expert, buyer beware!

InternetChamp fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Apr 29, 2010

Real Killer
Aug 22, 2004

tehschulman posted:

DNDN 4 life! Their new prostate cancer drug got FDA approval sometime around 12:30 and it made me a happy man.

I'm holding 100 shares I got at $25.65 a while back and a May $42 call, looks like trading resumes in 10 minutes should be fun.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Dr. Jackal posted:

where's the guy who bought FSLR at 126?
You might be thinking of me:

Josh Lyman posted:

Since I bought them on March 1, RIG is up 10% and FSLR is up 30%. However, my position in RIG is twice as large as in FSLR and the S&P is up 9.7% in that period. Hooray for a beta of 1? :v:
I got FSLR at 105 and RIG at 80. Net/net = profit!

Mulletstation
May 9, 2004

mo' mullets mo' problems

Mulletstation posted:

chinese solar is owning, despite german subsidy cutbacks

bought SOLF at 5.01

*fist pump*

Saltin
Aug 20, 2003
Don't touch

Hobologist posted:

The SEC has filings from all companies available on its website. Does anyone know if any other countries have a financial authority that does that?

The CSA (Canada) uses a system/site called SEDAR for that. You can check it all on the website.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
This weekend feels about like the weekend bear sterns failed to me for Europe...

Liquidated most of my fun money holdings today.

Anubis
Oct 9, 2003

It's hard to keep sand out of ears this big.
Fun Shoe
I'm a long term investor who attempts to hold stock in my ROTH for at least over a year before considering selling, sans catastrophic events or a need to further diversify. Since it is in my ROTH and I have a tax shelter for earnings, I also attempt to stick to dividend paying stocks.

Last year I did fairly well with GE, HNZ and MRK. I sold half of my GE at $14 based on the need to reallocate for diversify (bought at ~$7) and now am considering selling more at $20.

HNZ and GE both promised to increase their dividend, which has the stock prices up, but I'm lost on what is the best way to go. If I do sell them I'll have to look into other dividend stocks to replace them, any advice?

Anubis fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Apr 30, 2010

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel

Christobevii3 posted:

This weekend feels about like the weekend bear sterns failed to me for Europe...

Liquidated most of my fun money holdings today.

What do you think are the possible outcomes over in Europe to that mess?

fougera
Apr 5, 2009

Mulletstation posted:

bought SOLF at 5.01

*fist pump*

Just cashed out of SOLF myself. I'm still riding the LDKizzle though.

Insaint
Nov 22, 2005

pr0k posted:

I think I'll hold off until the oil spill news at least slows down. Right now it's still accelerating.

RIG is getting butchered over that spill, glad I didn't get in when I was eyeing it a month ago. Though I guess once the extent of the damage/reparations is clear it might be worth jumping in.

God knows how long the probe will take though.

Jabbu
Aug 1, 2005

GODWIN'S LAW? WHAT THE FUCK IS GODWIN'S LAW YOU FUCKING CRYPTO-NAZI? WHY DON'T YOU STOP RAPING CHILDREN FOR FIVE MINUTES, PUT DOWN THAT GLASS OF PUPPY BLOOD AND JUST ADMIT THAT YOU'RE A FUCKING MONSTER

Anubis posted:

I'm a long term investor who attempts to hold stock in my ROTH for at least over a year before considering selling, sans catastrophic events or a need to further diversify. Since it is in my ROTH and I have a tax shelter for earnings, I also attempt to stick to dividend paying stocks.

Last year I did fairly well with GE, HNZ and MRK. I sold half of my GE at $14 based on the need to reallocate for diversify (bought at ~$7) and now am considering selling more at $20.

HNZ and GE both promised to increase their dividend, which has the stock prices up, but I'm lost on what is the best way to go. If I do sell them I'll have to look into other dividend stocks to replace them, any advice?

I'm hoping Altria (MO) comes down a little bit. REITs are good dividend payers, but risky right now (see: cheap). Some of the more secure and consistent dividend payer/increasers come with a bit of a heavy price tag that would make you end up getting poo poo for shares.

Cheesemaster200 posted:

What do you think are the possible outcomes over in Europe to that mess?

I couldn't imagine any outcome other than a bail out. There is a lot of posturing being done, but ultimately if Greece wasn't helped the EU would be cutting off its nose to spite its face.

Edit: The Greek unions though are hilarious and if their behavior ends up getting Greece in trouble, they deserve the Hell on Earth they so desperately seem to be trying to make for themselves. The unions over there would put the worst of our worst bankers to shame with their greed.

Jabbu fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Apr 30, 2010

PianoDragn
Jan 30, 2006
How long do you think till this house of cards comes crashing back down? What's your plan this time around? Also curious if anyone has any particular event in mind for "when I see this happen, I'm getting the f*** out."

Side Note: You guys feel it's time to take profits and run in small cap / russell 2000? If it's time to get out of small cap what should I move into with those funds?

PianoDragn fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Apr 30, 2010

Jabbu
Aug 1, 2005

GODWIN'S LAW? WHAT THE FUCK IS GODWIN'S LAW YOU FUCKING CRYPTO-NAZI? WHY DON'T YOU STOP RAPING CHILDREN FOR FIVE MINUTES, PUT DOWN THAT GLASS OF PUPPY BLOOD AND JUST ADMIT THAT YOU'RE A FUCKING MONSTER

PianoDragn posted:

How long do you think till this house of cards comes crashing back down? What's your plan this time around? Also curious if anyone has any particular event in mind for "when I see this happen, I'm getting the f*** out."

Side Note: You guys feel it's time to take profits and run in small cap / russell 2000?

Same plan as always: Make sure to not be excessively greedy, analyze securities objectively and as efficiently as possible, spot out potential buy targets and wait for irrationalities of the market to drive them down in price, judiciously take profits, and keep enough cash on hand to capitalize on the next major downturn, all while keeping in mind that if the next major downturn is truly the last one then there isn't any harm in putting your cash into stocks or other investments because your cash will either be useless on one side (economy crashes) or you will rake in massive returns (economy recovers).

As to when or what event may trigger another downturn, I can't tell you right now and I may not be able to tell you even when it happens, which is why the only rational thing to do is adopt investing and capital allocation strategies that are able to adapt and don't rely on predicting market trends but rather capitalizing on them. Discipline is so important. One of the best things I ever learned in investing was to be able to look at my decisions and realize when I was truly investing and when I was speculating, and adjust the amount of money I put in and when to get out accordingly. The biggest event I'm concerned about in all honesty is whether or not when the Bush tax cuts expire, if something better or worse will ultimately get passed.

Plastic Jesus
Aug 26, 2006

PianoDragn posted:

Side Note: You guys feel it's time to take profits and run in small cap / russell 2000? If it's time to get out of small cap what should I move into with those funds?

I don't think, barring catastrophe, that "this house of cards" is going to do a repeat of 2008/2009. But a shakeout is almost certain. The RUT has started trailing the SPX on the way up and leading it on dips. Similarly 10-year treasuries gain faster than the SPX falls. Q2 earnings have been fantastic, yet the market's enthusiasm is starting to become muted. A 5-6% decline in May is not unfathomable, though I'm not making any (unhedged) directional bets.

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered

Mulletstation posted:

bought SOLF at 5.01

*fist pump*

Are you really posting just to reply to yourself with brags about trades? Really?

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel
I will find it hilarious if this GS witch hunt backfires on these politicians.

The market is due for a pullback. Earnings and every other piece of economic news is extremely positive, but stocks are faltering. Europe is having its problems, and here they are parading around with this GS poo poo.

If they're not careful, they might find themselves with a lot of pissed off voters whose 401(k)s just tanked right at the same time they started crusading to "fix" the economy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plastic Jesus
Aug 26, 2006

greasyhands posted:

Are you really posting just to reply to yourself with brags about trades? Really?

I'm reminded today of your post a couple of weeks ago about how quiet this thread is on down days, while people are stepping over each other to post their trades when the market is up.