Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heintje
Nov 10, 2004

I sing a song for you

Ratmann posted:

Just using straight up mantra delayed read :v:

The magic comes from writing out a simple pyro solver poof and instancing that to the particles based on some arbitrary attribute and in the delayed read reading the bgeos based on the attribute for each point.

Nice. I remember doing something similar with some medieval style torches. At the moment I'm stamping density values into one giant volume (from particles). I like the idea of delayed read, certainly beats sprites lookwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Vintage Analog Synthesizer

cubicle gangster posted:

I dont use cinema, or after effects. Or fusion. But it seems to make sense from here!
Get someone who doesnt know anything about lwf to follow your guide, see if they trip up. Make them do it themselves but if they have to ask you anything make a note.
Thanks, the thing is just, that the more I experiment with this "guide" myself, the more I start tripping up :D The main thing taht I have trouble understanding is when to apply 2.2 gamma correction and how to properly preview everything while you are working.

EDIT: Created a thread.

Das MicroKorg fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Apr 23, 2010

le capitan
Dec 29, 2006
When the boat goes down, I'll be driving

Hackuma posted:

Just finished these animations for a game I am working on. I didn't make the models.
http://vimeo.com/11130611

Cool stuff. I like the bear and the baby bear the most.

Just a couple thoughts:

-more offset
I think you could push the offsets on the bear a little more to make him feel bigger.

-animate your fingers
I noticed a few fist clenches and that's about it. Most of the animations are really short so you probably can't fit much in there, but the bear's idle and other longer animations you could have some more finger/hand movement.

Also some of the poses, such as the guy's excited jump, could be exaggerated more. Some of the animations were a bit hard to understand what action you were trying to convey.

Just my .002 cents

Biohazard
Apr 17, 2002

Some stuff I've been working on. Feedback is welcome. I'm an unemployed architect, not really a viz guy, but I'm trying to improve my rendering abilities. Everything is modeled in rhino, rendered with vray. I'm doing all this on a 2 year old macbook pro, so there's a limit to what I can really do in a reasonable time-frame right now.

Biohazard fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Apr 23, 2010

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

le capitan posted:

Cool stuff. I like the bear and the baby bear the most.

Just a couple thoughts:

-more offset
I think you could push the offsets on the bear a little more to make him feel bigger.

-animate your fingers
I noticed a few fist clenches and that's about it. Most of the animations are really short so you probably can't fit much in there, but the bear's idle and other longer animations you could have some more finger/hand movement.

Also some of the poses, such as the guy's excited jump, could be exaggerated more. Some of the animations were a bit hard to understand what action you were trying to convey.

Just my .002 cents
Thanks for the advice. I know some animations don't make much sense by themselves, but they work better when they are in game. In the one where the bear is jumping like crazy, for example, there is a swarm of bees in the game.
One of the things I find the hardest is to get a balance between animation and gameplay requirements. Like the walks and runs have to match the ground, so that forces me to make them really fast since that's how they are in the game. Or how I can't have much anticipation (if any) on the main character since players expect immediate response.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
what is linear workflow?

SPACE CARBS
Jan 15, 2010

by Ozma
--

SPACE CARBS fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Sep 2, 2010

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

SPACE WEED posted:

http://www.vimeo.com/11196472

Is it supposed to say "accurate scale mode" in the intro text?

SPACE CARBS
Jan 15, 2010

by Ozma

Gromit posted:

Is it supposed to say "accurate scale mode" in the intro text?

What? It doesn't say that.

;)

SPACE CARBS fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Apr 25, 2010

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Odddzy posted:

what is linear workflow?

http://www.djx.com.au/blog/2008/09/13/linear-workflow-and-gamma/

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
Thanks for the link!

I don't understand what gamma level should the textures be at in that case.

2.2 is used for the gamma at the output in mentalray (or V-ray, etc) but is a set number used for the textures? If so, How do I export my images and keep the details in post and all and where do I lower the value of the textures in max?

Also, what kind of codec do you guys use that works out good for film and so on. the basic Animation codec seems to do a good job although heavy but what are the alternatives?

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
I think in Vray all you need to do is to check the "linear workflow" checkbox and it does everything for you. Maya 2011 is supposed to have linear workflow under the new color profile settings too but I havent tried it so I dont really know if its a one click solution as well.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
A speed sculpt, about 4 hours
It was supposed to be Nicolas Sarkozy but the hair makes him look more like Sean Penn :downs:

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
dug this fucker out and have been finishing him up. Gotta make the low poly next :D

Click here for the full 1300x1091 image.

If anyone has some crits I'd love them before I start on the low.

a computer
Feb 22, 2008

EoinCannon posted:

A speed sculpt, about 4 hours
It was supposed to be Nicolas Sarkozy but the hair makes him look more like Sean Penn :downs:

If it makes you feel any better, I saw the picture and thought 'Sarkozy' before I read the words.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

keyframe posted:

I think in Vray all you need to do is to check the "linear workflow" checkbox and it does everything for you.

Apparently this is just for quickly converting old scenes, you're supposed to do it the proper way with fresh ones.

I'm not sure why theres a difference though, or if it's just so that max/your bitmaps are the ones altered instead of vray.

Ratmann
Dec 9, 2006
A warning all of you working in Linux using RV, have IT remap the launch command to something else, or you'll live through this:

:v:"Hmm let me check my render"
*types rv * &*
:v:"Hey where'd it go?"
"OH GOD I TYPED rm * & !"

:suicide:

Handiklap
Aug 14, 2004

Mmmm no.

Ratmann posted:

A warning all of you working in Linux using RV, have IT remap the launch command to something else, or you'll live through this:

*types rv * &*

Oh my

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

Ratmann posted:

*types rv * &*

drat...

You could add an alias to your cshrc as well. I have all sorts of "time saving" alias's at the moment.

Also good fun is editing coworkers cshrc files to make nuke launch maya and maya launch nuke ;)

Heintje
Nov 10, 2004

I sing a song for you
I keep launching nuke scripts with houdini anyway, it's like this ingrained retarded habit.

HolyJewsus
Jun 26, 2006
Disgruntled By Flashing and Blinking Lights.

Biohazard posted:

Some stuff I've been working on. Feedback is welcome. I'm an unemployed architect, not really a viz guy, but I'm trying to improve my rendering abilities. Everything is modeled in rhino, rendered with vray. I'm doing all this on a 2 year old macbook pro, so there's a limit to what I can really do in a reasonable time-frame right now.

hey man, from your original post, it looks like your rendering skills are coming a long way, I'm on a 4 year old mbp, so I know how you feel.

Are these for your personal projects, or freelance work?

also, I'm going to be posting some of my senior year option studio work in the next few days.

Biohazard
Apr 17, 2002

Well, I've been doing job interview stuff lately, so I'm trying to go back and revisit some old projects real quickly in order to fill out the portfolio a little. Thanks though. Yeah the Old Macbooks are a pain, but it gets the job done for now. I was reading about AMD coming out with a $200 six-core processor today, maybe I'll be building myself a new little rendering tower on the cheap soon.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.

Georg LeBoui posted:

A couple of months ago I had to urgently put together some lifestyle shots for a range of storage cubes, had about two days to put it all together. I'm still very new to this 3D thing, so I wanted to get your opinions:

Click here for the full 1500x1125 image.

I didn't see the booth but are you the IHA show student winner who made the storage system? Looks really similar

ThreeHams
Sep 28, 2005

Ride the pig!

EvilHobo posted:

Seconding this.

I wanna make stuff like that :(

Thanks! I forgot to reply, but this is the first asset I've made that I'm actually happy with, even if it still needs some work. :shobon:
Post for critique everyday. If you wait until you're almost done like I used to, you'll find that you have to redo half the model to fix things.

Sigma-X posted:

dug this fucker out and have been finishing him up. Gotta make the low poly next :D

If anyone has some crits I'd love them before I start on the low.

You're missing the two hexagonal stabilizing rings around the assault cannon (or whatever those things are called). Also, someone who's REALLY into 40k might point out that, on the right side, the skull in front should be bigger than the skull in back.
http://lh6.ggpht.com/_2HAuhOIOb6s/R4ojATqeL4I/AAAAAAAAByg/e5vqcULi4RU/Dreadnought+A+-+Weapon,+Autocannon+01.jpg

I like how it has balls.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

ThreeHams posted:

Thanks! I forgot to reply, but this is the first asset I've made that I'm actually happy with, even if it still needs some work. :shobon:
Post for critique everyday. If you wait until you're almost done like I used to, you'll find that you have to redo half the model to fix things.

You're missing the two hexagonal stabilizing rings around the assault cannon (or whatever those things are called). Also, someone who's REALLY into 40k might point out that, on the right side, the skull in front should be bigger than the skull in back.
http://lh6.ggpht.com/_2HAuhOIOb6s/R4ojATqeL4I/AAAAAAAAByg/e5vqcULi4RU/Dreadnought+A+-+Weapon,+Autocannon+01.jpg

I like how it has balls.

FUUUUUCK I even made sure to line up the banner-clips with those rings, too. And then forgot them.

Thanks for noticing it has balls.

Yeah the skull on the side of the gun is a bit different than the regular one, its a Crux Terminatus, too, instead of a skull and crossbones. I actually changed up the asscan proportions a bit, too.

Sigma-X fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Apr 28, 2010

schmuckfeatures
Oct 27, 2003
Hair Elf
This is a model I've put together for the same short film I posted about a while back. The textures are purely temporary.

One thing I can't seem to get right with my modelling is the edges. I'm using Max and Vray... is there a good technique to make edges nice and rough in a natural-looking way? I've tried chamfering them and adding bump maps and stuff, but it still doesn't quite come together.

Any hints?

ThreeHams
Sep 28, 2005

Ride the pig!

schmuckfeatures posted:

This is a model I've put together for the same short film I posted about a while back. The textures are purely temporary.

One thing I can't seem to get right with my modelling is the edges. I'm using Max and Vray... is there a good technique to make edges nice and rough in a natural-looking way? I've tried chamfering them and adding bump maps and stuff, but it still doesn't quite come together.

Any hints?

Here's some advice that other people might disagree with, but it's worked for me so far. This is from the perspective of game textures (especially weapons), but it should still work - you'll just be able to use much bigger textures and higher poly counts.

- Add support edges and throw on Turbosmooth. Support edges are edgeloops right next to the edge you want to keep sharp (for instance, make a cylinder, give it three height subdivisions, then move those extra loops so they're right near the top and bottom of the cylinder). This will give you perfectly smoothed edges and very nice edge highlights. Since this can be high-poly, it's your choice of whether to bake to a normal / displacement map.

Chamfering inside Edit Poly is a destructive action, and it sucks my rear end. Never use it (well, never use it for smoothing edges in high-poly work).

- You said the texture is temp, but even so, it's worth saying that noisy bump tends to ruin the look of metal, and makes it look more like stone. Keep it smooth except for some very, VERY subtle scratches. The edge highlights are the really important part.
- That "old worn metal" look comes largely from the variation in diffuse and specular color. There's a lot of trial-and-error here (or there was, for me). Search around for some organic-looking Photoshop brushes and create some layers that have lots of variation in color and value, then tone it down if you need to. Always easier to go too far, then pull back.
- After you unwrap it, draw in scratches along the parts you'd expect scratches to show up. Assuming this thing is dragged around for a while, you'd probably see the most damage along the very outer edges of the fins, along those rings at the top, on the rivets around the outside, and probably in some places on the conical section in front. Keep it subtle, overall - it'll look much better.

If you want some serious dents in the edges, throw it into Mudbox or Zbrush and add just a couple in select places. Still, keep it subtle.

ThreeHams fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Apr 28, 2010

schmuckfeatures
Oct 27, 2003
Hair Elf

ThreeHams posted:

- Add support edges and throw on Turbosmooth. Support edges are edgeloops right next to the edge you want to keep sharp (for instance, make a cylinder, give it three height subdivisions, then move those extra loops so they're right near the top and bottom of the cylinder). This will give you perfectly smoothed edges and very nice edge highlights.

Thanks for the advice duder! I gave it a try on a cylinder but got some weird tesselation though, which didn't seem to change with increased cap segments. Is there a step I missed?

ThreeHams posted:

dust & scratches notes

Great advice, thanks! Especially that bit on how to avoid it looking like stone.

I remember there was a good tute which had some similar tips re: weathering & scratches -- aha, here it is. I sorta used that approach with the derrick I posted a couple of months back... here's a closer view of it that shows more of my nasty edge problems:

Weathering things up definitely seems to look nice, but wow, I was surprised by how time-consuming it is. Just doing the texture for the counterweights here took me a whole day.

But yeah, those edges are already chamfered and look sharp as hell. I'm getting similar issues around the concrete base:

ThreeHams
Sep 28, 2005

Ride the pig!

schmuckfeatures posted:

Thanks for the advice duder! I gave it a try on a cylinder but got some weird tesselation though, which didn't seem to change with increased cap segments. Is there a step I missed?

Nope, it'll cause horrible-looking geometry. It's all right, it won't be seen outside of wireframe, and won't be transferred to normal maps. Just make sure you're using at least 2 subdivisions (it helps hide problems like that).

Adding a single-segment chamfer isn't going to help for smoothing out edges. I used to work that way until I learned how to use smoothing for hard-surface work. Here's the wireframe for the high-poly for my last model:

Click here for the full 1601x808 image.

This looks like a mess, but it's all completely based on edge loops. If I need to change the curve of an object, I can delete 3-4 edges all the way around a part, change it, then add them back in. Trying to change things after using the chamfer tool is horrifying.

The sharpness of the edge, after smoothing, is completely dependent on how close the support edges are to the corner of the model. For the cylinder example, if you move those extra loops closer to the top and bottom, you'll get a sharper edge.

For edge scratches and damage, there are a couple tricks for automatically generating it - for when you've got a model in the background and doing them manually just isn't worth the time. It involves using Find Edges on the baked normal map, or using an xNormal plugin in Photoshop. I haven't really gone in-depth with it, but search around, and you should be able to find it. I think Sigma-X might know more about this, too.

Neil Blevins also has a method using vertex paint and procedural work in 3ds max:
http://www.neilblevins.com/cg_education/vertex_map_wear/vertex_map_wear.htm

For other general hard surface work, this tutorial is a great start:
http://racer445.com/pages/tutorials/ak-tutorial.php

It's not perfect (his UV layout is completely inefficient) but it covers an entire weapon from start to finish, which is impossible to see otherwise.

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

YOU CAN'T MOVE WITH ME IN THIS DIGITAL SPACE
Hey guys. I'm trying to do a low-poly mesh for the Source engine based on this sculpt I was given and I've got the shape more or less right, but the meshflow looks vewwy ugwy. What should I be working on here before I move to unwrapping?

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

theta-ix posted:

Hey guys. I'm trying to do a low-poly mesh for the Source engine based on this sculpt I was given and I've got the shape more or less right, but the meshflow looks vewwy ugwy. What should I be working on here before I move to unwrapping?

if it's a game model with a very low resolution requirement, get rid of those spheres, and close off the eyes with a flat surface [which will have textured eyes] as an option. Or use a partial sphere. I'd try to work in eyelids or something.

If I was at home I'd draw some topology suggestions overliad on the screen shot but I'm at work at the moment.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

ThreeHams posted:

- After you unwrap it, draw in scratches along the parts you'd expect scratches to show up. Assuming this thing is dragged around for a while, you'd probably see the most damage along the very outer edges of the fins, along those rings at the top, on the rivets around the outside, and probably in some places on the conical section in front. Keep it subtle, overall - it'll look much better.

I don't know poo poo about it, but how many scratches and dings to people put into bombs they have lying around? I would have thought you'd be a lot more careful with something like that.
Unless it was dropped and failed to go off, but then it would be beaten all to hell.

ThreeHams
Sep 28, 2005

Ride the pig!

Gromit posted:

I don't know poo poo about it, but how many scratches and dings to people put into bombs they have lying around? I would have thought you'd be a lot more careful with something like that.
Unless it was dropped and failed to go off, but then it would be beaten all to hell.

Oh, realistically it'd be in great shape. I just assumed that judging from that image, someone stole the thing and ungracefully threw it into the back of a truck, then drove it a few thousand miles, then tossed it onto a ship or plane to get it out of the country. Or, something like that.

Bombs seem like they'd be pretty unstable, but they typically have to be electronically armed before they'll detonate at all, and there's a certain delay before they'll detonate on impact. Imagine if one was accidentally dropped from a jet while on an aircraft carrier.

polarbear_terrorist
Feb 23, 2007

Snow is my weakness
Hi, first time 3DCG Thread poster.

My back story is that I'm going to school for medical illustration and animation (2 year program). I had my first 3ds max class this semester (so, I've only had about 4 months with this program or anything like it) and am looking for critiques on my final piece. It's far from finished but better to start off with critiques early in the game.

Click here for the full 1024x576 image.

The story is about the Ascaris worm, with this scene telling about the birth and adult life of the worm. I wanted to show how the eggs will reside tucked away in the villi of the intestines and zoom back to the full grown worm being huge in a non-microscopic view of the intestines.

(I still have yet to composite this piece. This is just a render within 3ds max still)

If you want references, google the name (youtube is also fabulous for some gross colonoscopy videos)

Thanks and I look forward to this piece being butchered with critiques :)

Handiklap
Aug 14, 2004

Mmmm no.

polarbear_terrorist posted:

Click here for the full 1024x576 image.

The first thing that stands out is the glass-smooth specular. It may be that I just don't know poo poo about the texture of microscopic intestinal villi, but right now they look like they're made of silicone. Granted, a lot of medical illustrations take a more generalist approach, so if that's the case here, the only thing I can really say is they look too solid; some sss would help immensely.

If you want to throw up, google the name

fixed that for you

polarbear_terrorist
Feb 23, 2007

Snow is my weakness

Handiklap posted:

The first thing that stands out is the glass-smooth specular. It may be that I just don't know poo poo about the texture of microscopic intestinal villi, but right now they look like they're made of silicone. Granted, a lot of medical illustrations take a more generalist approach, so if that's the case here, the only thing I can really say is they look too solid; some sss would help immensely.

I did do SSS :\

I put a DGS material in the specular slot and I'm not exactly happy about it, but I wanted a texture that would help produce a really wet look.
I don't just want a "generalist" look here but I might settle on it for turning it in and go back later when I learn more.

Also, my light set-up is pretty straight, so it doesn't bring out the nice subdermal scatter.

Thanks for the input!

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

I did do SSS :\

I put a DGS material in the specular slot and I'm not exactly happy about it, but I wanted a texture that would help produce a really wet look.
I don't just want a "generalist" look here but I might settle on it for turning it in and go back later when I learn more.

Also, my light set-up is pretty straight, so it doesn't bring out the nice subdermal scatter.

Thanks for the input!

Aren't Villi ultra-porous and fleshy? Maybe it's only because I've only seen electron microscope shots of them but yours seem way too smooth. I think that might come down to personal/artistic preferece though because a normal map might add too much detail or texture to it and take away focus from the worms.

Handiklap
Aug 14, 2004

Mmmm no.

Moist von Lipwig posted:

Aren't Villi ultra-porous and fleshy? Maybe it's only because I've only seen electron microscope shots of them but yours seem way too smooth. I think that might come down to personal/artistic preferece though because a normal map might add too much detail or texture to it and take away focus from the worms.

This, some dof might mitigate a bit of texture focus.

edit: made a funny

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Yeah, the look of it reminds me immediately of balloons (http://www.jasonhackenwerth.com/) rather than medical viz.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

polarbear_terrorist
Feb 23, 2007

Snow is my weakness
Thanks so much for the input. I've been so caught up in "omg I know how to make something in a 3d program" I've been missing the little details that make it pop.

SynthOrange posted:

Yeah, the look of it reminds me immediately of balloons (http://www.jasonhackenwerth.com/) rather than medical viz.

That's awesome