Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

rt4 posted:

I always thought the opposite; you can show off fancy new pixel shaders and high-poly models because there is no complicated world geometry or foliage to slow things down. You can make really nice graphics that outpace the technical abilities of other genres while maintaining a high framerate, which users appreciate.

Yeah I was surprised (at the time) by how low Homeworld's system settings were and how my lovely computer could run it max with no dips. I never thought it was because the entire game world is a 2D backdrop and the only 3D models are your ships. The X series really went all out with its shaders and I still think it has some of the best shadow effects right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Tecman posted:

If you've bought Blood, this may interest you (you may have seen it from the 2.5D thread, and for some reason I cannot post in it right now):

What is it? A package that contains pretty much every Blood map and modification out there. I guess it's done (until the public finds about a billion more bugs I've missed, ugh) - http://blood.nanoaugur.net - grab the full version, the patch is for testers that want to update their version from 0.9 :)

Installation instructions are in the file and also here. If you can rehost, please do so. This is a lovely Dreamhost account and I've had it die under a goon(fleet) rush before. :(

edit (Thanks, Grawl):
Download torrent81 (1 files; 537.73 MB)
View torrent stats

I was dragging my feet on buying Blood, given I never even got past the first level of Redneck Rampage, but this sold me on it.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Mirrors:

Complete installer
Patch

lethial
Apr 29, 2009

AxeManiac posted:

I worked at Sierra just after this came out, so we had tons of free copies sitting around and they give them away and whatever. My one friend was hooked on this game, he played a wide range of stupid games however. Just before this he was hooked on Bad Boys the video game, then he was hooked on Cake Mania, but he would load up Nexus every now and then. He broke his disc and hasn't been able to play it (he snapped it in rage one day) and I've been dying trying to find a way to replace it for him (steam is too much of a hassle to gift it) and getting a copy on GOG would be better for him, no cd needed!
He didn't snap the game CD because it was so frustrating did he? I read that this game has a very steep learning curve, but I was hoping that the curve could be eventually surpassed. :(

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

lethial posted:

He didn't snap the game CD because it was so frustrating did he? I read that this game has a very steep learning curve, but I was hoping that the curve could be eventually surpassed. :(

The game's actually quite easy and does a good job of introducing you to the mechanics over the first few levels.

The main issue is realising that you can't just right click an enemy to attack, you have to either select a shield/hull attack option or manually order weapon systems to fire.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

lethial posted:

No, I think he had anger issues. He was by no means a strategy game player (well, cake mania was pretty strategic) but he loved it.

lethial
Apr 29, 2009
Thanks for the info. here's hoping that it shows up on gog.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Whew. Gimp is decently powerful, but such a dog to work with. All my current GOG games fit on four DVDs, and even a 4-DVD case just looks ghetto without a cover, so...

If anyone's interested, I'll upload the 300 DPI Gimp XCF to Mediafire. Be warned, it'll still be some work to get your own game collection on there just right, but you get what you pay for.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
That torrent of mods also made me bite the bullet on Blood (all $6 of bullet) finally. Well, for my 2nd copy anyway.

Mostly chuckling that the mod torrent is twice as big as the compressed form of the game itself. Also curious how much the game goes for on Ebay since that's one of the remarks on GoG.

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Blood II: The Chosen is now on GOG for $5.99.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

Blodskur posted:

Blood II: The Chosen is now on GOG for $5.99.

Does it not crash constantly?

No, seriously. This game was a completely unstable piece of poo poo.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

It was also poo poo in general, so I recommend not buying it.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Yeah, Blood 2 was just pretty bad all round. The original is a far, far better game.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

Healbot posted:

It was also poo poo in general, so I recommend not buying it.

I've been able to play the first few minutes of it not too long ago and the demo when that originally came out. The demo was generic and very square with green lights, demon dogs and metal pipes all over the place for no reason; the full game started with some stupid monologue on a subway train that the game crashed after either running through a few subway cars or as soon as it tried to load the next area.

So sad since I remember all the Blood 2 concept art appearing on Monolith's site and it being 100% badass until the game was released... and immediately vanishing from history.

Tecman
Sep 11, 2003

Loading the Universe...
Please Wait.

Pillbug
I bought it anyways, simply because I lost my CD (without the expansion), and I've meant to replay it for nostalgia value (it was one of my first FPS games I actually owned, even then I knew something was wrong with it but I have fond memories anyways :3: ).

Time to rape those memories with some cold, harsh reality. :)

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Andrigaar posted:

the full game started with some stupid monologue on a subway train

There are about four subway train levels in the game. They are the EXACT SAME LEVEL copy-pasted with different enemy placements. I wish I was kidding.

Blood 2 was Monoliths low-point. Personally, I don't think Shogo (released around the same time) was much better. The No One Lives Forever games were a major act of redemption though, as was Tron 2.0.

On that note, Tron 2.0 recently got a great big fan-patch that even adds proper 16:10 widescreen support, and a big fan-made expansion is currently updating to use that patch at the moment.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
I doubt it was on purpose but I think this is pretty funny.

zombieman
Aug 8, 2003

That's one happy fucking egg!
Are any of the pinball games on GOG any good?

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right

Tecman posted:

I bought it anyways, simply because I lost my CD (without the expansion), and I've meant to replay it for nostalgia value (it was one of my first FPS games I actually owned, even then I knew something was wrong with it but I have fond memories anyways :3: ).

Time to rape those memories with some cold, harsh reality. :)

Where's my Blood 2 launcher, Tecman? :argh:

zombieman
Aug 8, 2003

I've got a slight problem in Blood 2. The players guns are shaking, like Caleb has parkinsons! It's quite distracting. Anyone else got this problem, or better still, a fix?

beef express
Sep 7, 2005

The highest technique is to have no technique.

zombieman posted:

Are any of the pinball games on GOG any good?

The Pro Pinball series is pretty much the best you can get on a computer. Big Race USA is my favourite :)

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

Dissapointed Owl posted:

I actually clicked on that white arrow :ughh:

I bought Caesar III the other day (despite still having the original CD... somewhere), looking forward to some old-school city building strategy. It didn't take more than 2 or 3 missions before I remembered why I never finished the entire campaign in that game. I really hate the reliance on walkers to find everything they need and covering your population, since intersections confuse them and can send your residences in a constant spiral of evolving and devolving due to lack of food or luxuries.

It's a drat shame, because I love everything else about it.

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to

Dissapointed Owl posted:

This HAD to have been on purpose.

It's just too funny to not be.

zombieman
Aug 8, 2003

The Machine posted:

This HAD to have been on purpose.

It's just too funny to not be.

Didn't Blood 2 come out pre-Steam?

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right

zombieman posted:

Didn't Blood 2 come out pre-Steam?

I think they're talking about selecting that screenshot on their product page, not the message itself.

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to

Grawl posted:

I think they're talking about selecting that screenshot on their product page, not the message itself.

Obviously.

SOMEONE at GOG had to take the screenshots and post 'em on the game's page.

zombieman
Aug 8, 2003

Grawl posted:

D'oh! :downsgun:

Yannos
Aug 4, 2006

You shall fetch me your universe's ultimate cup of coffee.Black. You have five earth minutes ... Make it Perfect!
Can't check it from work but does this version of blood II support D3D style graphics or is it software rendered for compatibility reasons? I have the old Blood II disc but I can't get it to run with pretty graphics (or stability ).

Despite blood I being far superior, I really like the standard troopers from Blood II(like you had in the demo) that constantly yelled stuff like "you will die a slow slow death!" that coupled with the creepy music was really cool me all those years ago :)

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

WHAT? THIS IS MY REGULAR SPEAKING VOICE.
Is this better?

beef express posted:

The Pro Pinball series is pretty much the best you can get on a computer. Big Race USA is my favourite :)

Somewhat of a derail because it has nothing to do with GOG, but if you want pinball on a computer, I recommend FuturePinball. It's open source and there's a stupid amount of actual, real world pinball machines ported to it by the community.

I found it when I got TrackIR because the game has loving head tracking in it.

I haven't played it in a while mostly because I was never a pinball junkie, but if you like pinball, it's worth a try. Free, and all.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Anybody ever played Stronghold? Seems like it would be THE GAME for people who like to turtle in RTS games.

Is it any good?

shalcar
Oct 21, 2009

At my signal, DEAL WITH IT.
Taco Defender

GreatGreen posted:

Anybody ever played Stronghold? Seems like it would be THE GAME for people who like to turtle in RTS games.

Is it any good?

It's really very enjoyable. While it can be a bit tedious rebuilding all your external buildings after every attack, the pacing for the missions tends to be pretty close to spot on with the difficulty curve, with enough chance of losing if you didn't plan well, but also the chance to really stand defiant if you did.

While the AI can be exploited a bit, you really have to go out of your way to break the game and the seemingly impossible odds you face mean that even if you do decide to exploit the AI you will still face a solid challenge.

Also, you get to set people on fire as they run through a field full of spike traps. What's not to love?

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

GreatGreen posted:

Is it any good?

Yep, Stronghold and Stronghold: Crusader are both really good. The way the economy works it's a little Caesar-lite but much more heavily focused on the military aspect.

Yannos
Aug 4, 2006

You shall fetch me your universe's ultimate cup of coffee.Black. You have five earth minutes ... Make it Perfect!

GreatGreen posted:

Is it any good?

I love it. Stronghold I follows a storyline but doesn't have skirmish. Every mission has some scripted attacks on your castle so replayability isn't everything. It does have a freeplay where you can build your castle without interruptions. You can then, when you're ready, choose when the AI attacks and with what kind of troops. Stronghold Crusaders is basically Skirmish maps after eachother and is very challenging. You'll be fighting multiple enemy lords in almost every map but it's great fun.
he enemy lords also have their owns personalities so there are very aggressive Lords, Lords that only tend to use Knights or real turtlers.They also have their own castledesigns.

The Economy is also pretty fun and streamlined. You have multiple food producing industries (Dairy Farmers, Apple orchards, Wheat farmers) , Industry (iron and stone miners, weapon smiths etc...) but it doesn't take much micromanaging to get a good economy going. And it's just as fun as watching your little dudes work in The Settlers II.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Cool, I'll give Stronghold a shot.

Hey Yannos, you really had me a little worried when you said there was no skirmish mode... but a sandbox mode where you can spawn enemies at will sounds even better than skirmish!

Looking forward to playing this.

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~

GreatGreen posted:

Is it any good?

If you enjoy building castles its a good game.

Don't get it if you are at all interested in attacking/defending, though. The pathing for the units is horseshit, so it's not uncommon to have your entire army scale the wall of a castle with one ladder if you aren't babysitting them every second. Also since there is no simple collision detection/spacing for units (they pass right through each other) you can literally have about five hundred men going up that one ladder at the same time.

It gets to the point where sieges look like that 70's game Snake, where you've got a train of indiscernible units snaking their way to the next thing to kill.

zombieman
Aug 8, 2003

Got a dumb question about the Blood launcher. In the instructions it says:

quote:

GOG.com version ONLY: MOVE the file "game.gog" and overwrite the file "game.inst" found in the directory "Games/Blood" into "Games/CDMount". This is to ensure that mods (and now the game) can also access the CD image and audio music. THE PROVIDED AUDIO FILES ARE FIXED (no track slicing)!

Where do I move the "game.gog" file from?

Edit: Ignore my stupidity, I've got it!

zombieman fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Apr 29, 2010

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Dominic White posted:

There are about four subway train levels in the game. They are the EXACT SAME LEVEL copy-pasted with different enemy placements. I wish I was kidding.

I think that the subway levels were intended to be a running gag.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
Holy poo poo, Blood II. I was hoping this would be released shortly after the first game. Bought.

zombieman
Aug 8, 2003

The Blood launcher is amazing, thanks for all your hard work Tecman. Now if could only do something about the split second sound lag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yannos
Aug 4, 2006

pixelbaron posted:

If you enjoy building castles its a good game.

Don't get it if you are at all interested in attacking/defending, though. The pathing for the units is horseshit, so it's not uncommon to have your entire army scale the wall of a castle with one ladder if you aren't babysitting them every second. Also since there is no simple collision detection/spacing for units (they pass right through each other) you can literally have about five hundred men going up that one ladder at the same time.

It gets to the point where sieges look like that 70's game Snake, where you've got a train of indiscernible units snaking their way to the next thing to kill.

I agree that the whole "no collision" thing kinda looks silly with huge armies. However I still think it's the most satisfying siege "simulator" though. You have such a great deal of siege stuff to use : Catapults, Trebuchets, Rams, Siege shield(Manlets or something?), ladders, siege towers, tunnelers and for defense you have cool stuff like burning pitch (really satisfying to burn a bunch of expensive knights in a sea of fire), moats and a bunch of other things.