Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

and that's how you get ants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scottch
Oct 18, 2003
"It appears my wee-wee's been stricken with rigor mortis."
I was only able to find gulls again today, but they at least make shooting at 200mm look good with minimal cropping.

scottch fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Apr 26, 2010

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I just got my camera, a Pentax K10D on Friday, and the only lens that has yet arrived is a Sigma 100-300. So I went out today to the weir on the river to shoot things that are far away, such as birds. I'm still very new at this, so I know it will be a while before I get anything nearly as good as the majority of what's been posted here, but I'm pretty happy with these pictures.

Also, Corvids and Accipitriformes are assholes. I saw many such birds today, but as soon as I brought up the camera they took off. There was a raven sitting on a headstone in a very small graveyard, and from my perspective the shot would have included him and about a dozen various gravemarkers against a bleak and cold background. But as I'm lining up the shot, he takes off. Bastard!

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

I had a couple more shots which I thought were good, but turns out I missed focus on the eyes :(

TheCaptain
Dec 5, 2005

It's time to get a little Captain in you!

diarrhea for girls posted:

drat, these are just surreal.

I know this is a lot but I had a really good bird day today!

This is as close as I could get before the bugger took off:

A Birdy Love Story: In four parts

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

TheCaptain posted:

I know this is a lot but I had a really good bird day today!

Thanks bud! I gotta agree with you about having a good day with the birds! You got some killer shots. I'm really like the Blue Jay ones! The love story one is just :3:

There was a jay hanging out near my house today that waited until I put on a macro lens to get up close to a caterpillar, to show itself and then decided to pour some salt in the wound and landed about 3 feet away from me. Ugh! Jays are mean.

---
I picked up a Sigma 50-500 "Bigma" (the older one, not the new one with OS) last week and the weather is finally cooperating enough to let me bust it out on the birds. Here's a female Northern Cardinal that has been eluding me forever because she's very skittish. I got really lucky on this one being in focus before she took off. I have no idea what she was eating to get the green in her feathers, some gushy bug I imagine.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

TheCaptain posted:

A Birdy Love Story: In four parts

Hey, how do you get a group of photos on the same canvas like that? I don't even know what it's called so I've been having a hell of a time finding a guide on it.

Those shots are excellent, as well.

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl

tuyop posted:

Hey, how do you get a group of photos on the same canvas like that? I don't even know what it's called so I've been having a hell of a time finding a guide on it.

Those shots are excellent, as well.

Traditionally, that would have been called a "contact sheet", because you laid the negatives in contact with the photo paper and exposed the whole thing at once. You can do it really fast in Photoshop, or even set up an action if you like.

Tongsy
Aug 22, 2007

---
I picked up a Sigma 50-500 "Bigma" (the older one, not the new one with OS) last week and the weather is finally cooperating enough to let me bust it out on the birds. Here's a female Northern Cardinal that has been eluding me forever because she's very skittish. I got really lucky on this one being in focus before she took off. I have no idea what she was eating to get the green in her feathers, some gushy bug I imagine.

drat, I wish I could get 1/10th as close as that to either of the Cardinals near my place. They always bugger off when I'm 100 feet away

birds
Jun 28, 2008

So I found a nest in one of my bushes in the backyard today. I'm positive the birds were there today since I heard sounds that were similar to the ones my Cockatiel made when he was a baby and I saw two birds flying in and out of the bush probably delivering food. I checked just now (6:55 PM Pacific) and there's nothing in it. Is this normal or have they abandoned it? I'd really like to observe them from a distance and get some shots.

sensy v2.0
May 12, 2001

sensy v2.0 fucked around with this message at 17:46 on May 3, 2010

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

Tongsy posted:

drat, I wish I could get 1/10th as close as that to either of the Cardinals near my place. They always bugger off when I'm 100 feet away

I said the same thing in a post after TheCaptain posted some cool Cardinal shots and then a couple days later I was having all sorts of luck with'em! Getting a bird feeder or at least throwing a bunch of seed around on the ground in a certain area will get them sticking around a bit longer. Bribery gets you everything!

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
I can always count on geese.

Ingraman
Jul 6, 2005
Arrogant bastard

scottch posted:

I was only able to find gulls again today, but they at least make shooting at 200mm look good with minimal cropping.

I like these a lot. I always find bird photos more interesting when the background is nice/provides color contrast, even if the bird is relatively small in the picture.

Anyhow, I'm starting to see more birds in the Northeast again:

Ingraman fucked around with this message at 03:29 on May 2, 2010

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I seem to be better able to focus on a bird's rear end than on its eye.

Or the folded wing.

TomR posted:

I can always count on geese.
Yup.

I think I'm going to do a lot of practicing on geese; I have a dozen pictures from today of a raptor, possibly a Peregrine falcon, in which the tree's branches are crisp, and the bird is fuzzy. :saddowns:

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

A few from yesterday:

And my first woodpecker-in-flight shot:

scottch
Oct 18, 2003

Ingraman posted:

I like these a lot. I always find bird photos more interesting when the background is nice/provides color contrast, even if the bird is relatively small in the picture.

Anyhow, I'm starting to see more birds in the Northeast again:

Thanks. That's a fairly pedestrian location for Newfoundland, but it snowed yesterday and no vegetation is growing yet, so there's not much else around, AFAIK. Though I'm limited by my 200mm, I can't wait to try shooting more birds in more interesting locales.

Your first and last are graet. I like that the action and pose of the bird suits having it to the right of the frame, rather than the usual frame-where-he-lookin'. The first is just crazy.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL
Pestering the wood ducks again:

scottch
Oct 18, 2003

Sky looks blown because of the fog on the second, sadly.

Bahama.Llama
Aug 17, 2006

Scary Money
I don't have any bird pictures to share, but I thought I'd rub something in everyone's face.

I graduated with my undergrad comp sci degree. My parents for a present got me on a boat trip with Dr. Jerome Jackson through Ding Darling :3:. Dr. Jackson is an ornithologist biologist and an expert on Ivory Billed Woodpeckers. I can't wait to talk to him about birds :allears:

Bahama.Llama fucked around with this message at 04:35 on May 4, 2010

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

Slo-Tek posted:

That duck looks so happy! I really like that one.

Bahama.Llama posted:

I don't have any bird pictures to share, but I thought I'd rub something in everyone's face.

I graduated with my undergrad comp sci degree. My parents for a present got me on a boat trip with Dr. Jerome Jackson through Ding Darling :3:. Dr. Jackson is an ornithologist and an expert on Ivory Billed Woodpeckers. I can't wait to talk to him about birds :allears:

Haha, what a cool present! I'm definitely envious! When are you going? I expect a lot of photos from you. :arghfist:

---

After being grounded for 2 days due to some outrageous flooding rains, the birds were eager to stretch their wings.

I think it's the same Mockingbird that's going for this bug, unfortunately it wasn't as sharp as I wanted but I held onto it anyways because well, it's neat.

A cold Robin.

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Don't tap on the fucking glass!
I swear to god I'll cut off your fucking fingers and feed them to the otters for enrichment.
For some reason, birds like to face right when I take pictures of them.

Click here for the full 1024x681 image.

scottch
Oct 18, 2003
Who needs a telephoto when you have gray jay. 31mm on a kit lens, baby, oh yeah.

This was last year when I was even worse than I am now. Should be fun this summer though, especially since I'll no longer be in a cast and could try baiting them to more interesting places.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

I think it's the same Mockingbird that's going for this bug, unfortunately it wasn't as sharp as I wanted but I held onto it anyways because well, it's neat.

That's a great shot. It's hard enough catching birds that aren't in flight, but catching one in pursuit is a great accomplishment.

I just bought a house in January and one of the things I looked forward to most was having bird feeders. We got our first hummingbirds last night so I relaxed outside with a beer and my camera.

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

BeastOfExmoor posted:

a beer and my camera.
What more can you ask for? Haha. Congrats on the house!

Good looking shots! I really should set up a hummingbird feeder some day, I've only seen a few of them in the few years I've lived here but they have got to be one of the coolest backyard visitors.

William T. Hornaday posted:

This shot is really nice, great looking bird!

Good luck on the shooting this summer, scottch. I imagine things will be much easier!

--

El Diablo visited my bird feeder today:

TheCaptain
Dec 5, 2005

El Diablo visited my bird feeder today:

Lovely little bastard. Your photos are so sharp you practically stabbed me in the face.

BeastOfExmoor posted:

We got our first hummingbirds last night so I relaxed outside with a beer and my camera.

I love hummingbirds! These are great.

Tragedy has struck me today. I've dropped my EF-S 55-250mm IS telephoto the other day. At first glance, there was only light cosmetic damage to the outside casing but I discovered today that while images come out just as sharp as before, the IS simply stopped working. For handholding is was pretty essential. I am looking into the repair option but I also think it might be a good to upgrade. I've been flirting with the Canon 100-400 IS but it's just too drat expensive.

What would be a good interim birding lens that's a step up from the 55-250mm but that I can sell and trade up for a 100-400 when I'm in better financial shape. This has become one of my favorite hobbies and never fails to relax me when i'm in a bad mood. Something about the silly tittering around of birds just makes me smile. I really hope I can keep on doing it.

scottch
Oct 18, 2003

TheCaptain posted:

Lovely little bastard. Your photos are so sharp you practically stabbed me in the face.

I love hummingbirds! These are great.

Tragedy has struck me today. I've dropped my EF-S 55-250mm IS telephoto the other day. At first glance, there was only light cosmetic damage to the outside casing but I discovered today that while images come out just as sharp as before, the IS simply stopped working. For handholding is was pretty essential. I am looking into the repair option but I also think it might be a good to upgrade. I've been flirting with the Canon 100-400 IS but it's just too drat expensive.

What would be a good interim birding lens that's a step up from the 55-250mm but that I can sell and trade up for a 100-400 when I'm in better financial shape. This has become one of my favorite hobbies and never fails to relax me when i'm in a bad mood. Something about the silly tittering around of birds just makes me smile. I really hope I can keep on doing it.

If its primary function is for birding, I suspect you're shooting at a very fast shutter speed, anyway. Don't be afraid to sacrifice ISO for shutter speed, and try it out a few times. You may be able to do just fine with it, and then you can save up for a longer lens rather than set yourself back for a repair or a "good enough" lens in the interim.

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

TheCaptain posted:

Tragedy has struck me today. I've dropped my EF-S 55-250mm IS telephoto the other day.

Aww man that sucks. :(

You probably already know about the site, but if not: http://www.keh.com is great for the longer telephoto lenses. Well, pretty much all lenses, but they do get quite a few of the longer ones in and they often carry a 100-400 for under $1k. There aren't any up right now for that price, unfortunately, but just keep watching. Takes a little bit of the sting out of saving up for one when you can get a little discount!

My birding lens upgrade path went like this: 55-250 IS>Sigma 135-400 (not a good idea, ignore this, it required like f/16 to be sharp)>Canon 200mm F2.8L with a 2x teleconverter (Kenko Teleplus Pro 300 DG)>Sigma 50-500.

The 50-500 is more like 50-460mm and isn't as sharp as the 100-400 wide open but stopped down a bit (f8-f10) it's nearly on the same level. It weighs about 4 lbs and the older (cheaper) version doesn't have IS but it's around $600/$650 on KEH from time to time so it's a really good deal if you don't mind carrying around what amounts to half of a bazooka. It's a LOT different than the 55-250 and can be used as a weapon in a melee fight. :)

If IS is critical to you though, the 100-400 can't be beat and you'd probably be best off just trying to make do with your current lens until you can save up for it. Not the most fun answer, but it might save you a couple bucks in the long run. :)

PREYING MANTITS fucked around with this message at 02:37 on May 8, 2010

TheCaptain
Dec 5, 2005

scottch posted:

save up for a longer lens rather than set yourself back for a repair or a "good enough" lens in the interim.

It's a LOT different than the 55-250 and can be used as a weapon in a melee fight. :)

If IS is critical to you though, the 100-400 can't be beat and you'd probably be best off just trying to make do with your current lens until you can save up for it. Not the most fun answer, but it might save you a couple bucks in the long run. :)

Yeah, I think you guys are probably right. I'm going to keep an eye on KEH for a month or two and start putting money away for the 1-4. I actually was looking at the 50-500 but ending up getting a bit intimidated by the sheer size of the thing. But yeah it would be totally useful in fighting off gryphons.

In the meantime, I can still join the party from time to time assuming great lighting and ridiculous ISOs. I mean just take a look at this handsome fellow!

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Slo-Tek posted:

Damnit, I am so jealous. Wood ducks are quite possibly my favorite bird and I have never seen one in person. I technically live in their range, but we're lucky to get anything besides Mallards around here.

What more can you ask for? Haha. Congrats on the house!

Good looking shots! I really should set up a hummingbird feeder some day, I've only seen a few of them in the few years I've lived here but they have got to be one of the coolest backyard visitors.

I highly reccomend doing it. Feeders are like $10 and hummingbirds are awesome.

TheCaptain posted:

I think it's already been said, but at speed you're typically shooting birds are IS is not really necessary. When I upgrade my nifty two-fifty I'll probably go to the 70-200 F4L. It's by no means a perfect birding lens at only 200mm (and too slow to stick a 2x tele-converter on and maintain auto-focus), but it's apparently one of the sharpest zooms made and its pretty cheap for the quality.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

wait a minute honey
May 12, 2006

Holistic Detective
Feb 2, 2008

effing the ineffable
Decided to have a go at shooting a Peregrine Falcon nest today. I wait 40 minutes for the little bastard to do something and this was the best I could get:

Half of my time seemed to be spent going "There, it's moving at last, get ready" *poops* :saddowns: I am not very good at bird photography.

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl

Holistic Detective posted:

Decided to have a go at shooting a Peregrine Falcon nest today. I wait 40 minutes for the little bastard to do something and this was the best I could get:

Half of my time seemed to be spent going "There, it's moving at last, get ready" *poops* :saddowns: I am not very good at bird photography.

Eh, you may still get some interesting action shots from that, though.

Bahama.Llama
Aug 17, 2006

Scary Money

Haha, what a cool present! I'm definitely envious! When are you going? I expect a lot of photos from you. :arghfist:

Well the boat tour lasted like an hour and we only hit up two bird spots :(, so I didn't have a whole lot to work with. Here are some of the better ones

I need to work on my post bad.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

The real problem with the 100-400mm is that a few weeks after getting it you'll start eying the 500mm or 600mm primes next.

On another note, a couple of shots from yesterday...

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Don't tap on the fucking glass!
I swear to god I'll cut off your fucking fingers and feed them to the otters for enrichment.
I need some feedback on the composition of this shot, but haven't yet worked up the nerve to post it in PAD yet. It feels a bit unconventional, but if Andrew Zuckerman can do it why can't I? :v:

EDIT: I think I need to fix the exposure on it, for starters.

scottch
Oct 18, 2003
Yeah, could be brightened a little, but not much. I like the tone.

I like the composition. It may not be a "birder's" specimen-shot, but it's a nice subject on a pleasing background. Makes him look curious, peeping into your frame like that. Really nice all around.

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

Bahama.Llama posted:

Well the boat tour lasted like an hour and we only hit up two bird spots :(, so I didn't have a whole lot to work with. Here are some of the better ones

I need to work on my post bad.

Aww, that bites. I bet that was the quickest passing hour! I really like these two shots though, especially that last one with the fish in midair! Awesome catch!

William T. Hornaday posted:

I need some feedback on the composition of this shot, but haven't yet worked up the nerve to post it in PAD yet. It feels a bit unconventional, but if Andrew Zuckerman can do it why can't I? :v:

EDIT: I think I need to fix the exposure on it, for starters.
scottch pretty much covered it. I don't think it has to be brightened a bunch. I really like that the background isn't completely black, too.

--

I was going to open up the windows facing my backyard this morning and noticed a Cardinal feeding her baby bird, so I fired off a couple shots just as it was getting blown off the railing by a gust of wind, poor thing. Haha. It must have been alright though because it flew off with the mom at least.

The baby cardinal a little while later, no worse for the wear:

PREYING MANTITS fucked around with this message at 17:26 on May 11, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gryi
Sep 30, 2004
"Rem Koolhaas is the Darth Vader of architecture."
Took this a while back on vacation to Florida: