Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum
I just got my Filco with cherry browns, and it is amazing.. I can't believe I have used that stupid saitek eclipse for so long... I am literally in love with this keyboard even if I am not used to it yet and keep making silly typing mistakes!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

admiraldennis
Jul 22, 2003

I am the stone that builder refused
I am the visual
The inspiration
That made lady sing the blues

Sweeper posted:

I just got my Filco with cherry browns, and it is amazing.. I can't believe I have used that stupid saitek eclipse for so long... I am literally in love with this keyboard even if I am not used to it yet and keep making silly typing mistakes!

FedEx just updated the delivery estimate for mine from Friday to tomorrow :D

supdns
Nov 1, 2004

admiraldennis posted:

FedEx just updated the delivery estimate for mine from Friday to tomorrow :D

Out of curiosity, where are you guys purchasing these? The elitekeyboards site seems to be sold of out the cherry browns. At least in the black color, which is what I'm looking for.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Filcos, are buckling keyboards. Correct?

EDIT - Any ideas how long this model of keyboard will be produced? I want one, and I want some backup keys so when they wear out (get shiny) I can replace them, but the keys are $30 :aaa:

admiraldennis
Jul 22, 2003

I am the visual
The inspiration

mcwaite posted:

Out of curiosity, where are you guys purchasing these? The elitekeyboards site seems to be sold of out the cherry browns. At least in the black color, which is what I'm looking for.

elitekeyboards. I got a 104 key.

Yes their stock is highly volatile (you can email the guy to ask about estimates).

admiraldennis
Jul 22, 2003

I am the visual
The inspiration

Tab8715 posted:

Filcos, are buckling keyboards. Correct?

No, the ones we're talking about are all mechanical switch (your choice of cherry blue/brown/black)

admiraldennis fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Apr 28, 2010

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

More drunk than a barrel of monkeys

admiraldennis posted:

No, the ones we're talking about are all mechanical switch (your choice of cherry blue/brown/black)
And if you do want real-deal buckling spring, you can buy them new from Unicomp, who bought the design and tooling from IBM/Lexmark. Cheaper than Filco too.

Senator Woofington
Aug 1, 2009

by Ozmaugh
I really like the look of the logitech wave way more than any gaming keyboard. BUT! Is it good for gaming? I imagine really it doesn't matter much since I have always just used a standard keyboard and kicked rear end.

edit: I just don't really see the difference in the key types. I have never really even noticed what kind my keyboard was and I don't see the potential benefit...

Senator Woofington fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Apr 28, 2010

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

Senator Woofington posted:

I really like the look of the logitech wave way more than any gaming keyboard. BUT! Is it good for gaming? I imagine really it doesn't matter much since I have always just used a standard keyboard and kicked rear end.

edit: I just don't really see the difference in the key types. I have never really even noticed what kind my keyboard was and I don't see the potential benefit...
You would definitely notice a difference between mechanical and rubber domed keyboards if you had ever used a mechanical keyboard. The keys are much snappier and they make a lot more noise.

This isn't to say that you want one, they are more expensive, but it might be worth it to you. Go try one out somewhere if you can and try to get a feel for what you want from your keyboard.

Sweeper fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Apr 28, 2010

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

I noticed a lot of discussion about the Logitech Illuminated Keyboard, and its various ghosting issues. Some praise it, while others deride it. I purchased one about a month ago, and quickly noticed that it would not register W+Shift+Space... which is Forward+Run+Jump in many FPS games. I immediately returned it and went back to my old Tarantula, which allows me to mash every key at once if I so desire.

Are there different hardware revisions floating around? Or does nobody hit Space when testing rollover?

Full Circle
Feb 20, 2008

VectorSigma posted:

Are there different hardware revisions floating around?

I keep hearing such mixed results when it comes to gaming that I think this must be the case. The people with problems also seem to be the minority.

admiraldennis
Jul 22, 2003

I am the visual
The inspiration

Sweeper posted:

even if I am not used to it yet and keep making silly typing mistakes!

Jump on keyhero for a couple hours to get acclimated (it forces you to correct mistakes and even analyses them).

I started at like 70 with all the typos I was making, a few hours later and I'm back to my normal:

I haven't typed on a mechanical in over a decade, since the Apple Extended Keyboard II

e: seriously if you're worried at all about the learning curve of a mechanical, don't be. I've had my filco with cherry browns for all of four or five hours and I'm already typing quicker than I ever have (hitting 110+ wpm already, and I never got this on a membrane... maybe on a scissor but never on a membrane).

admiraldennis fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Apr 29, 2010

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Interesting test, I'm get 40 on my Apple keyboard. Anyone else?

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Tab8715 posted:

I get around 90-100 WPM on my Apple keyboard, but I make some errors. The best I could probably manage on my old membrane was 70.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius
I'm doing about 85 on my logitech dinovo (scissor keys), 80 with my Filco. I type faster with the Filco, but I screw up ordering more, so the corrections drag me down.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

I hit 108 on my Microsoft Arc, but I'm averaging more in the 90's.

Dunno exactly what this keyboard uses though, but I"m guessing scissors.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

Tab8715 posted:

KingEup fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Apr 29, 2010

very
Jan 25, 2005

I err on the side of handsome.
A couple sentences is not at all enough to really determine your speed. I like this test: http://hi-games.net/typing-test/

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:
None of these tests are worth much if you suck at the task they present you, most people are capable of typing faster when it's their own words.

admiraldennis
Jul 22, 2003

I am the visual
The inspiration

Swilo posted:

None of these tests are worth much if you suck at the task they present you, most people are capable of typing faster when it's their own words.

It's great for practice and comparing yourself across different keyboards and such, not so much for "your TRUE wpm score" or whatever

And if you somehow can't read much faster than you type, or are unable to keep a couple words buffered in memory... something's wrong. It shouldn't take much time at all to get used to a specific test such that typing speed becomes the primary bottleneck.

Unfamiliar words and punctuation are part of the fun, and where you'll gain the most from practice.

Nobody thinks these are absolute, scientific wpm averages.

admiraldennis fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Apr 29, 2010

admiraldennis
Jul 22, 2003

I am the visual
The inspiration
Anybody know of a program that will help me practice hitting F1-F12?

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Can someone tell me if this Cherry board is Browns or Blues? Based on all I've read, they seem like browns. I love everything about this board except for the tiny spacebar and backspace key.

Click here for the full 640x360 image.

Bonus pic: Cherry number pad - $15 eBay. Think it's browns as well.

Click here for the full 360x640 image.

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 19:19 on May 2, 2010

NickPancakes
Oct 27, 2004

Damnit, somebody get me a tissue.

hotsauce posted:

Can someone tell me if this Cherry board is Browns or Blues? Based on all I've read, they seem like browns. I love everything about this board except for the tiny spacebar and backspace key.

Pull a keycap? The colors are so named because the keystems are that color.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
Searching for the model number (G84-4100) says they're Cherry ML Blacks, nothing at all like any of the MX keys.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Swilo posted:

Searching for the model number (G84-4100) says they're Cherry ML Blacks, nothing at all like any of the MX keys.

Correct. Removed a key cap and it's black underneath.

I actually like the feel...but I'm going to order a Filco brown version anyway. Nothing beats Cherry switches for a lot of typing! (this is coming from a Unicomp board).

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Tab8715 posted:

Averaged between 80 and 116 with anywhere form 0 to 2 errors depending on the paragraph with my Apple aluminum keyboard over a series of tests. I'm a sucker for this keyboard though.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Partly due to this thread, and partly due to the remainder of last week's paycheck burning a hole in my pocket, I bought a smug new Apple wireless keyboard at Fry's this weekend. Long story short, in order to get the thing to work with my PC, I finally performed that Windows 7 install I had been putting off.

It's great, but I'd like to remap about a half dozen keys. How can I do this? I never realized how much I depended on the Del key. Or how cramped it is to have the Windows key right next to the space bar.

I've tried UAWKS (http://code.google.com/p/uawks/), but it's out of date and inflexible. The worst offense is that for some reason it places the left system keys in this order: [WIN],[ALT],[CTRL], when on every keyboard I've used since 1998 has had them in this order: [CTRL],[WIN],[ALT].

The eject key does nothing, there's no Del key option, and the volume adjustment hotkeys don't adjust the actual WAV volume in Windows 7, they adjust the volume for UAWKS itself, which has no sounds of its own.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Looking for opinions on this keyboard; http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823193001

It reminds me of the Apple wireless keyboard, but designed for Windows. If only it didn't come with the mouse, because I already got a great mouse that i'm not willing to replace for anything.

Thirteenth Step
Mar 3, 2004

Thinking of getting an apple wired keyboard for my PC, like this;

Do the keys match up right? ie; is the 'cmd' key mapped to be the 'windows' key or are there some issues?

Love those keyboards

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Thirteenth Step posted:

Do the keys match up right? ie; is the 'cmd' key mapped to be the 'windows' key or are there some issues?

Love those keyboards

I'm thinking of doing the same as i've yet to really find a good windows based keyboard that looks as good as that one. Other then the one I just linked, but I really want a full keyboard and one that isn't wireless.

The only issue i've read is that the Apple keyboard doesn't have a true delete key? And you need an app to emulate the windows key too, but I never use that key anyways.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I said come in! posted:

The only issue i've read is that the Apple keyboard doesn't have a true delete key? And you need an app to emulate the windows key too, but I never use that key anyways.

There are two delete keys. The one marked "Delete" is backspace, the one marked "Delete [x>" is what you traditionally think of as Delete. They are functionally different in MacOS X if that's your worry. I can't vouch for Windows since I've never tried, but I assume it would be the same.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

This was the article I read that mentioned the issues with the Apple keyboard on Windows; http://www.crunchgear.com/2010/04/15/microsoft-arc-keyboard-vs-the-apple-wireless-keyboard/

I still want to get one though. I'm totally gay for Apple accessories, they are fantastic. I just wish I could get the Magic Mouse now for Windows (technically you can but it is only very basic functionality).

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

chomper posted:

Just got an Apple wired keyboard for an early Christmas present.... anyone know of Windows "Apple keyboard helpers" for the WIRED keyboards? The only ones i've found are for the wireless ones only... and SharpKeys isn't working for me, plus I really want the Fn keys to work. :)

I borrowed a Snow Leopard disk from a buddy and used the Bootcamp drivers from it... most of the keys work now.

If anyone wants the drivers i've uploaded the 32-bit and 64-bit installers, you can get them here:
http://bit.ly/8HtKh6

(for safety!; http://www.virustotal.com/analisis/1ca58b63ef9089a9064bf2830e17022af2cd4b27f4d64a0a383a99d80b66edcd-1260744211 )
I'm probably way too late for this, but if you're still reading this thread: care to upload this again? I can only get so far with SharpKeys, which can ably remap individual keys with registry tweaks, but cannot map "Fn" keys, as they require a special driver to do anything.

At least I now have a Del key (remapped from the right Alt/Option).

admiraldennis
Jul 22, 2003

I am the visual
The inspiration

Thirteenth Step posted:

Love those keyboards

Command -> Windows key / "Super"
Option -> Alt
Control -> Control

Note that Windows and Alt are transposed location-wise. You can fix this in software.

admiraldennis
Jul 22, 2003

I am the visual
The inspiration

doctorfrog posted:

I'm probably way too late for this, but if you're still reading this thread: care to upload this again? I can only get so far with SharpKeys, which can ably remap individual keys with registry tweaks, but cannot map "Fn" keys, as they require a special driver to do anything.

At least I now have a Del key (remapped from the right Alt/Option).

It's not possible to map `fn' to anything.

Most "fn" keys are local to the keyboard -- they aren't transmitted to the computer.

When you hold down `fn' and press a key with an fn-superscript, the computer sees that as a single keypress with a unique scancode.

There are standard scancodes for things like volume control, etc, and fn provides a way to transmit these extra keys without occupying another physical key space.

edit: this may or may not actually be true for the Apple keyboards. On my MBP's internal keyboard, `fn' obviously generates a scancode since Mac OS X can see that it's depressed in the Keyboard Viewer.

admiraldennis fucked around with this message at 04:54 on May 5, 2010

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

re: ^^^

The Fn+anything combo on this keyboard doesn't output standard scancodes, and the driver I'm requesting is currently what Apple itself provides for people using Boot Camp and Windows 7. So, even though I might see on the keyboard the Fn+|>|> would be "Fast Forward," the keyboard itself does not transmit the standard scancode for Fast Forward.

Windows literally doesn't know what to do with Fn+X on this keyboard without that driver, which only lurks on Snow Leopard, and nowhere else on the internet as far as I have found.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

I'm currently typing on this:

Click here for the full 640x480 image.

Which I bought because I used one most days in one of my classes, and I liked how sturdy it was.

Now, I want a keyboard with a shorter key travel, and more laptop-like keys. Since I don't feel right about spending ridiculous money on a keyboard, however, I ordered this:

http://www.microsoft.com/uk/hardware/mouseandkeyboard/productdetails.aspx?pid=116

If anyone cares about buying this type of keyboard for so cheap (I got mine for £9.99 including delivery) then I can post my impressions after it arrives.

But since most of you seem to be happy buying six keyboards at once for $100 each, maybe it won't be that useful.

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009
Currently using a Logitech Elite keyboard.

Best keyboard I've ever used in my opinion. I love the layout. It's hard for me to find a layout I like.

But I think it's finally starting to give out on me after 7 years of faithful service. But I can't decide between the G110 and the G19. I'd get a G15, but gently caress v2. I hate orange. So, is the price difference of $90 really worth it for the screen?

very
Jan 25, 2005

I err on the side of handsome.
Welp. They weren't lying. Elite Keyboards sent me a whole new set of keycaps, and a key puller too.

This is what had started to happen to the coated keys. It is a lot worse now. The ones that they sent are not coated, of course.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD

very posted:

This is what had started to happen to the coated keys. It is a lot worse now. The ones that they sent are not coated, of course.
Is this only a problem with the blank keycaps, or does it happen to the printed ones too? That's horrible.

• Locked thread