Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
Just remember that the CN/SCN languages have the requirement that you serve twice in a country that speaks it. Though, they're worth more points.

I'm going to go for either german, afrikaans, or some sort of scandinavian language (swedish, norwegian, icelandic, etc.) just because I want to learn those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Coitus_Interruptus posted:

Ha. Ive been hearing this a lot lately, but I just spent two years, lots of money and endured a lot of frustration to find out that I'm not smart enough to be an Engineer. When your transcript is filled with a lot of classes that don't apply to gently caress all its very easy to feel like it was time, money, and effort wasted.

I'd be in your same situation if I hadn't gone to an engineering magnet high school. It was four years (granted not full-time engineering classes, but they prevented me from taking more interesting electives) but I look at it as time/money saved down the line in something I ultimately wouldn't have been very good at or enjoyed much.

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Good to see that everything is back to normal.
Any DC-area goon FS aspirants interested in a casual get-together some evening this week? I was thinking Thursday, but am flexible. Post here or PM me if interested.

I'm not posting to the Goonmeets thread because I would like to keep this FS-oriented.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Sure! I have my medical stuff Wednesday and Friday, so that should work out. Friday night would also work.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
I'm not in DC, but thinking about going to a DIA hiring event in the area in mid-May if you're still around.

Skandiaavity
Apr 20, 2005
I'm down, of course. Thursday's green. Did you have a place in mind?

Omits-Bagels
Feb 13, 2001
Can anyone else give their perspective on the consular cone?

In the OP it said that they move to management quickly. Does this mean they don't have to do the 'grunt' work of dealing with visa/passport issues?

EDIT: Also, what is the dress code like? Suits? A uniform? Business casual? Whatever you want?

Omits-Bagels fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Apr 27, 2010

Vilerat
May 11, 2002

Omits-Bagels posted:

In the OP it said that they move to management quickly. Does this mean they don't have to do the 'grunt' work of dealing with visa/passport issues?

EDIT: Also, what is the dress code like? Suits? A uniform? Business casual? Whatever you want?

Suits. As a generalist unless you are GSO you will be wearing a suit.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
I've seen a lot of pictures of FSOs doing some "hands on" stuff in the field wearing polos and slacks, for what it's worth.

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Skandiaavity posted:

I'm down, of course. Thursday's green. Did you have a place in mind?

Skand, would Friday work for you? Looks like I might have a relative stopping in town Thursday whom I should see.

Anyone have an objection to Red Hot & Blue in Rosslyn? Accessible from Rosslyn metro station. Map here. Of course, I'm flexible.

Is 6:00 pm on Friday too early?

Omits-Bagels posted:

Consular managers do not routinely work on the visa line. They mostly manage people (usually entry-level officers and local employees). Mid-level consular officers are expected to be subject matter experts, so they will still work on visa or passport issues, but only rarely at the window. For example, an NIV chief will usually be responsible for adjudicating applications for diplomatic and official visas. The entry-level officers are the ones at the window grinding away at the masses.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

SWATJester posted:

I've seen a lot of pictures of FSOs doing some "hands on" stuff in the field wearing polos and slacks, for what it's worth.

I met an Air Force MIA team in northern Laos on vacation a couple of years ago, and they had just gotten done with an ambassador visit to one of their dig sites. They said he was nuts (in an enthusiastic, hands-on kind of way) and kept slipping away from his protective detail :3:

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Pompous Rhombus posted:

I'm not in DC, but thinking about going to a DIA hiring event in the area in mid-May if you're still around.

By the way, I'll be in town until May 13 or so.

Skandiaavity
Apr 20, 2005
BOF - hey, family first! Friday works out, or I'll make it work out. 6PM (or thereabouts, depending on the metro) is good.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Part one of medical exam done. Note to anyone still waiting to do it: if you do it in DC, schedule enough time afterwards to go to a walk-in clinic for a chest x-ray. Actually I guess that probably applies at your own GP, but I did mine at State so I don't know. The one at GW's ambulatory care center is quick and easy, took me only about 45 minutes extra.

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

SWATJester posted:

Part one of medical exam done. Note to anyone still waiting to do it: if you do it in DC, schedule enough time afterwards to go to a walk-in clinic for a chest x-ray. Actually I guess that probably applies at your own GP, but I did mine at State so I don't know. The one at GW's ambulatory care center is quick and easy, took me only about 45 minutes extra.

Did you get State's White (rubber) Glove treatment?

Are you good with Friday at 18:00?

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Business of Ferrets posted:

By the way, I'll be in town until May 13 or so.

Don't think I'd be up there that early, I think the event was the 18th or something.

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Don't think I'd be up there that early, I think the event was the 18th or something.

I'll be in the sandbox by then.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
I'm good with 1800.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
clarifying, friday the 30th? Or are we talking first week May?

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Friday the 30th, two days from now.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Cool I'm down.

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa
Hey dudes, if you want to brush up on some language stuff, the FSI has a ton of course materials online. Sadly, no Urdu (there's some Hindi), but they do have Amharic and Sinhala!

http://fsi-language-courses.org/Content.php

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
There's also some pretty cool stuff here. Most of it should be accessible on non-government networks, I think Headstart is the only exception.

http://www.dliflc.edu/products.html

xanthig
Apr 23, 2005

Business of Ferrets posted:

Friday the 30th, two days from now.

Well, I do seem to have the darndest luck. Friday is the one night I can't make it. You crazy kids have fun, any other night....

Omits-Bagels
Feb 13, 2001
I'm kind of thinking about signing up under the consular cone... is this a huge mistake?

I like the idea of being able to help people out but the idea of being locked in a small box doing visas all day is a little scary.

I was hoping that I could grind away at the visa line for a few years and then hopefully things will get a bit more exciting once I move up.

The Mantis
Jul 19, 2004

what is yall sayin?
All you FSO (and FSO aspirants) kick rear end for creating such an informative thread. Keep up the good work.

I took the FSOT in Oct '09 and didn't pass. Even worse, I didn't bother to get my scores back... :doh:

But things turned out alright. I'm doing TFA for at least two years, then planning on a scholarship/study back to China in for ~a year to brush up my Mandarin. So as it stands I hope to be entering A100 in 2014...

A few quick questions:

1) Can someone elaborate on the logistics of moving all your acquired poo poo/personal possessions around the world? I can't imagine they'd ship the armoire you picked up in Marseilles all the way to Bishkek at no charge.

2) Along similar -- yet more personal -- lines, I'm still trying to understand how most FSOs spend their pay. With housing provided and logistical limits on personal acquisitions, does most of it just go to travel and Thai shemales? And from this monstrosity I'm assuming you're assigned a "class" along with your GS rank? Is this number wholly or just partially based upon the number of black tie high-stakes poker matches you win?

3) I've always assumed that taking the FSOT multiple times could only help you because it provides ample feedback on areas of improvement, unlike the LSAT which forces you to execute a loved one each time you score <170 :emo:. Any negative consequences I'm overlooking?

Vilerat
May 11, 2002

The Mantis posted:

A few quick questions:

1) Can someone elaborate on the logistics of moving all your acquired poo poo/personal possessions around the world? I can't imagine they'd ship the armoire you picked up in Marseilles all the way to Bishkek at no charge.

Weight allowance determined by where you are going/family size/rank (not sure about rank, not digging through FAM/FAH right now). For example I might get 18k pounds shipped to my next post and 250 pounds in an air shipment, along with vehicle shipped. All paid for. If I'm going to a furnished post I might get less of an allowance than an unfurnished one etc etc.

quote:

2) Along similar -- yet more personal -- lines, I'm still trying to understand how most FSOs spend their pay. With housing provided and logistical limits on personal acquisitions, does most of it just go to travel and Thai shemales? And from this monstrosity I'm assuming you're assigned a "class" along with your GS rank? Is this number wholly or just partially based upon the number of black tie high-stakes poker matches you win?

Well your housing and utilities are covered, but not your internet which can be expensive in some countries. Really with all the benefits you get, your income is actually a lot larger than you initially think. If you're an FS-03 who's been in for 8 years you might be making something like $80k/yr after locality, COLA but you add in your free housing and utilities then that number could baloon up to something like $130k. So what do you spend your money on? Stuff mostly. If you're married with kids somehow money finds a way to get spent.

For that chart you linked the class would be your "rank" and steps would be individual pay promotions within your grade. Think of it like an in stone annual salary increase for seniority.

quote:

3) I've always assumed that taking the FSOT multiple times could only help you because it provides ample feedback on areas of improvement, unlike the LSAT which forces you to execute a loved one each time you score <170 :emo:. Any negative consequences I'm overlooking?

No negative impact for failing the FSOT. Many officers take the test multiple times before passing.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope

The Mantis posted:

We spend money on the same things everyone else does minus utilities and housing. The Foreign Service has its own own pay scale which is what you linked to there's no GS involved.

Skandiaavity
Apr 20, 2005
Just chiming in what Vilerat said - if you're married and/or have kids, your money will always find a way to be spent. If not, Life finds a way

edit: Friday @ 1800 is fine. See you there!

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

Vilerat posted:

Weight allowance determined by where you are going/family size/rank (not sure about rank, not digging through FAM/FAH right now). For example I might get 18k pounds shipped to my next post and 250 pounds in an air shipment, along with vehicle shipped. All paid for. If I'm going to a furnished post I might get less of an allowance than an unfurnished one etc etc.

Well your housing and utilities are covered, but not your internet which can be expensive in some countries. Really with all the benefits you get, your income is actually a lot larger than you initially think. If you're an FS-03 who's been in for 8 years you might be making something like $80k/yr after locality, COLA but you add in your free housing and utilities then that number could baloon up to something like $130k. So what do you spend your money on? Stuff mostly. If you're married with kids somehow money finds a way to get spent.

For that chart you linked the class would be your "rank" and steps would be individual pay promotions within your grade. Think of it like an in stone annual salary increase for seniority.

No negative impact for failing the FSOT. Many officers take the test multiple times before passing.
Negative on the rank.

If you're authorized 7200 pounds to Post, everybody is authorized 7200 pounds. UAB (unaccompanied air baggage) goes up by family size.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

Skandiaavity posted:

Just chiming in what Vilerat said - if you're married and/or have kids, your money will always find a way to be spent. If not, Life finds a way

I mean keep in mind, you can be living in a pretty hard area of Africa, with only two paid tickets out. Some places, you can't drive, or can't drive out of the country. Tickets to the next country over could easily be 700 USD or more.

I'm hitting the 7 month mark, and it's time for an R&R.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

TCD posted:

I mean keep in mind, you can be living in a pretty hard area of Africa, with only two paid tickets out. Some places, you can't drive, or can't drive out of the country. Tickets to the next country over could easily be 700 USD or more.

I'm hitting the 7 month mark, and it's time for an R&R.

By can't drive, do you mean aren't allowed to by the DoS? What are the general reasons for designating a country as such?

(One of the reasons I passed on applying for the Peace Corps was not being able to use a motorbike; in rural Thailand it would cripple your ability to get around. I mean, obviously PCV's get by like that, but as a blanket ban it seems so needlessly "nanny-state" in principle that I find it hard to swallow.)

Vilerat
May 11, 2002

Pompous Rhombus posted:

By can't drive, do you mean aren't allowed to by the DoS? What are the general reasons for designating a country as such?

(One of the reasons I passed on applying for the Peace Corps was not being able to use a motorbike; in rural Thailand it would cripple your ability to get around. I mean, obviously PCV's get by like that, but as a blanket ban it seems so needlessly "nanny-state" in principle that I find it hard to swallow.)

Usually it's because it's simply too dangerous for you to go anywhere without an armored vehicle, other times a host country can restrict your travel because they don't like/trust you.

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Omits-Bagels posted:

I'm kind of thinking about signing up under the consular cone... is this a huge mistake?

I like the idea of being able to help people out but the idea of being locked in a small box doing visas all day is a little scary.

I was hoping that I could grind away at the visa line for a few years and then hopefully things will get a bit more exciting once I move up.

Pretty much every new FSO, regardless of cone, will spend a few years doing visa grunt work. By a consular officer's second or third tour they are essentially managers who supervise new officers, usually by heading a specific consular subsection (immigrant, non-immigrant, American Citizen Services, fraud prevention, etc.)

The vast majority of the career consular officers I know deeply enjoy their work and the accompanying lifestyle.

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Skand, you don't have PMs, so just look for us at the restaurant tonight. I'll be wearing a yellow tie (no need to dress up; I'll be coming from work).

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Woot, I'm medically cleared. Also, was a little annoying during the thing. I know I'm overweight. I got it the first time you told me. Was it really necessary to ask "Do you have any belly fat?"

.... Uh. Yes.

"Can you pinch an inch of fat on your belly?"

....What do you think? Want me to jiggle it for you and make Jabba the Hutt noises? HO HO HO HO HO. JABBA NO CHUDA. BOSCA. HO HO HO HO HO HO.

Skandiaavity
Apr 20, 2005
No problem, can do. I'm coming from work as well, so I'll be in a black suit.

FYI, IT's possible I may have to leave early, depending on a meeting (whether it's today or not :argh: congress )

TCD- yeah, that's what I mean. Life always finds a way :P

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
I'll be in jeans and a black long-sleeve shirt. Also, probably looking like a homeless viking since I haven't shaved in a week.

Skandiaavity
Apr 20, 2005
:argh: congress :argh:

just got wind that the meeting is Go, so yeah I can only stay until 7 or so. wish there was a FFFFFFF emoticon. Will leave in 10min, though :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Im at foggy bottom right now. Just be a few more minutes.