Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shiftypenguin
Mar 15, 2005

Antique Roadshow

Xenomrph posted:

Scoured two Wal-Marts today for the Iron Man 6" figures, absolutely nothing. Not even a space for them, or pegs, or price tags, anything.

Phoenix has been a goddamn wasteland for a lot of new stuff lately. We get the DCUC figures, like, several weeks after everyone else does, and despite reports that the new Star Wars comic packs are out at Target and the last Star Wars Legacy Series figures are out now, I've checked multiple Targets, Wal-Marts, and TRUs and come up totally dry.

My area's like this too. I finally found one War Machine and Mark V 6" after checking six Walmarts over the course of three days. The one's I found were simply laid on the shelf with no peg in site.

I only picked up the War Machine but drat is he awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Shiftypenguin posted:

My area's like this too. I finally found one War Machine and Mark V 6" after checking six Walmarts over the course of three days. The one's I found were simply laid on the shelf with no peg in site.

I only picked up the War Machine but drat is he awesome.
When did you finally find him? Maybe they just haven't trickled out here in Phoenix yet or something, I dunno. I mean, I wouldn't feel so bad if the 6" ones literally JUST came out and maybe they'll hit here over the next week or so. If they've been out for a few weeks and Phoenix is still retarded then that's something different. :saddowns:

There's another Wal-Mart I'm going to try tomorrow after work, otherwise I'll wait a day or two and re-check them all again I guess. :sigh:

loving Flagstaff stocked new stuff better than major metro Phoenix does. It's not like I'm living in some podunk town in the middle of nowhere here.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
I've been checking the 3 Wal-Marts here in Eugene the last week or so and nothing's come up yet, so I feel your pain.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Xenomrph posted:

loving Flagstaff stocked new stuff better than major metro Phoenix does. It's not like I'm living in some podunk town in the middle of nowhere here.

To be fair, Phoenix is the biggest suburb on the planet.

Shiftypenguin
Mar 15, 2005

Antique Roadshow

Xenomrph posted:

When did you finally find him? Maybe they just haven't trickled out here in Phoenix yet or something, I dunno. I mean, I wouldn't feel so bad if the 6" ones literally JUST came out and maybe they'll hit here over the next week or so. If they've been out for a few weeks and Phoenix is still retarded then that's something different. :saddowns:

There's another Wal-Mart I'm going to try tomorrow after work, otherwise I'll wait a day or two and re-check them all again I guess. :sigh:

I found him Monday. I'm in Illinois, BTW.

Shawn
Feb 6, 2003

I yiffed two people at once and all I got was laughed at.

Xenomrph posted:

I found the ironman figure in Yuma. For once we got something first.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

So I got a couple of the little 3" Iron Man 2 figures and I really can't figure out what to do with the "armor cards".
Like, I get that rearranging them between armors creates a different letter/number code along the right side. So I guess you can "build" armors with different stats and attributes, and the alphanumeric code would reflect the combination you made?
The thing is, the https://www.ironmancard.com URL printed on the armor cards just redirects to Marvel.com and I can't find a place to actually use them or anything. :saddowns:

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

June 15th is the reorder date for the DCUC Wave 5 box sets on MattyCollector.

http://www.mattycollector.com/store/matty/en_US/DisplayProductDetailsPage/productID.184112500

Looks like its just the 5 figures for the C&C pieces, and its only $70.00.

Shiftypenguin
Mar 15, 2005

Antique Roadshow

Xenomrph posted:

So I got a couple of the little 3" Iron Man 2 figures and I really can't figure out what to do with the "armor cards".
Like, I get that rearranging them between armors creates a different letter/number code along the right side. So I guess you can "build" armors with different stats and attributes, and the alphanumeric code would reflect the combination you made?
The thing is, the https://www.ironmancard.com URL printed on the armor cards just redirects to Marvel.com and I can't find a place to actually use them or anything. :saddowns:

I was confused on this too. I googled it and the consensus seems to be that it's coming but the website just isn't live yet. Maybe next week or something.

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755

The Rage posted:

June 15th is the reorder date for the DCUC Wave 5 box sets on MattyCollector.

http://www.mattycollector.com/store/matty/en_US/DisplayProductDetailsPage/productID.184112500

Looks like its just the 5 figures for the C&C pieces, and its only $70.00.

When did spending $14/figure become acceptable? I remember $5 being average, and $7-$8 being the norm for McFarlane toys. $20 got you a big deluxe bit, and not just some basic figure.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Shiftypenguin posted:

I was confused on this too. I googled it and the consensus seems to be that it's coming but the website just isn't live yet. Maybe next week or something.
If it's implemented "well" I think it could be really cool. I mean there's, like, what? 20+ Iron Man 2 figures released so far? each with 3 cards apiece that you can swap out and stuff. That's a lot of combinations for people to mess around with.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Matlock posted:

When did spending $14/figure become acceptable? I remember $5 being average, and $7-$8 being the norm for McFarlane toys. $20 got you a big deluxe bit, and not just some basic figure.

In 2005, there was a major petrochemical supply shock when Katrina wiped the floor with the Gulf refinery industry, which trickled down the supply line slowly until 2008, when everything went completely inside out with the collapse of Wall Street. The rising cost of plastic and a hosed up economy combined with natural inflation leads to these kind of situations.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

3 posted:

In 2005, there was a major petrochemical supply shock when Katrina wiped the floor with the Gulf refinery industry, which trickled down the supply line slowly until 2008, when everything went completely inside out with the collapse of Wall Street. The rising cost of plastic and a hosed up economy combined with natural inflation leads to these kind of situations.
So when the economy starts turning around, can we expect to see the prices go back down a bit? Or is that just silly?

funtax
Feb 28, 2001
Forum Veteran
Seems unlikely, especially since everyone has started releasing smaller figures at the old $5-8 price point. It's very rare for prices to come down significantly.

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

Xenomrph posted:

So when the economy starts turning around, can we expect to see the prices go back down a bit? Or is that just silly?

Maybe. Another problem comes into play when a company that has a relative corner on a niche market like this raises prices; because there's not as much competition in terms of other collectibles like these (the DC Direct stuff is nice, but lacking the variety and poseability of DC Classics), there's not as much reason for them to lower the price when they see that people are willing to pay out the nose for these things.

Beanpants
Oct 27, 2004

I remember buying Marvel Legends off the pegs for 6 bucks. That wasn't even that long ago. :smith:

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I can accept paying $5 apiece for 3.75" figures. When the store wants me to pay $7+, I hesitate.

I want to get all 6 "marks" of Iron Man armor from the Iron Man 2 series just because I think it'd look cool having them all in a row, but when they're $7 apiece and stuff like the Mark III, IV, and VI are so similar, I really hesitate. I picked up the Mark VI yesterday as an impulse purchase, and I'm already considering returning it unopened because it I could use that $7 on something more worth my money. Add to that the hit-or-miss paint apps on the Iron Man 2 figs and it really makes me stop and think before I pick one up.

Don't regret getting the Hypervelocity Armor concept figure, though. The flat face is a little weird but I understand why it has that and it's in-line with the aesthetic, and I still like the figure a lot.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Matlock posted:

poo poo gets more expensive to make, and the companies still need to make a profit on top of that. Materials and labor pretty much always move upward, though some sectors slower than others.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
Well looking at Hasbro's financial records and shareholder information they barely make any money at all. If I was a shareholder I would be wondering why the company makes suck boneheaded moves constantly.

Actually I think I am going to buy some Hasbro stock. That isn't such a bad idea, if more collectors were shareholders they could perhaps force the said companies into doing better stuff.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Djarum posted:

Well looking at Hasbro's financial records and shareholder information they barely make any money at all. If I was a shareholder I would be wondering why the company makes suck boneheaded moves constantly.

Actually I think I am going to buy some Hasbro stock. That isn't such a bad idea, if more collectors were shareholders they could perhaps force the said companies into doing better stuff.

That's pretty good reasoning for Mattel charging 15 bucks for a figure too.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Djarum posted:

Hasbro owns Wizards of the Coast, so, a lot of their revenue comes from Magic: the Gathering and D&D.

Other than that though, you're pretty much right.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Zeitgueist posted:

That's pretty good reasoning for Mattel charging 15 bucks for a figure too.

Well at least with the DCUC figures you are getting 15 bucks worth of figure for the most part. For a lot of Mattel's collector orientated lines it seems like they are doing high quality, small runs of product. There are some things that I think they cheapen out on a little too much for the price (Movie Masters, Ghostbusters) but I am glad to get most of that in as high a quality as they end up.

Mattel has a bunch of 500 pound Gorillas in their band though, Hot Wheels and Fisher Price sell crazy well. Hot Wheels is even more impressive when you realize they still charge only a buck for the toy.

I do feel like companies could lower prices across the board a little bit. 15 dollars a figure is just beyond what most people are willing to pay.

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Djarum posted:

Well at least with the DCUC figures you are getting 15 bucks worth of figure for the most part.

Most of the DCUC stuff I like, but I can't justify paying more than $8-$10 for them.

Hell, ReSaurus made figures with the same detail with as good of paint applications on a larger build for $8-$10.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Matlock posted:

Most of the DCUC stuff I like, but I can't justify paying more than $8-$10 for them.

Hell, ReSaurus made figures with the same detail with as good of paint applications on a larger build for $8-$10.

Mattel has a lot more overhead for a variety of reasons. Also, I'm guessing that was a few years ago, and costs have gone way the gently caress up.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Matlock posted:

Yea, but ReSaurus isn't with us anymore. I agree though, over :10bux: and I start to question the buy a lot.

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

I'm guessing it's half poor inventory management and half realization that most of the market is collectors now.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
The collector-owned market is a myth that has been sadly perpetuated by overzealous toys journalism (ugh) websites and forums that vastly inflate the importance of adult collectors on toy sales. At best, the die-hard collectors hold maybe 10% of the share, but even that's being generous. The fact that it is distributors/chain stores that pay the company direct for shipments and not collectors themselves plays a big part into this.

Here's a down to earth example: remember Xevoz? They were a star darling amongst collectors and everyone loving loved them. The line got pulled from shelves because it sold terribly.

Which isn't to say the toy companies don't pay attention to the adult collectors but they're perfectly aware that it's a very niche market, and milk that for all its worth with stuff like Matty Collector and HTS.com.

Xenomrph posted:

It's pretty unlikely we'll ever see a significant reduction in prices back to '05-era levels since we can't just magically replenish our supply of hydrocarbons.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

3 posted:

It's pretty unlikely we'll ever see a significant reduction in prices back to '05-era levels since we can't just magically replenish our supply of hydrocarbons.
Well if the environment caused part of the problem, and the poo poo economy caused part of it, and the economy turns around, couldn't that cause some kind of reduction? Sure we can't get the environment part back, but we can make the economy not suck cock. v:shobon:v

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

Matlock posted:

Resaurus also went out of business in 2001. A ton of small toy makers who made great poo poo have gone out of business since then because of the cost of everything involved in making the toys (materials, labor, etc.) has increased for many reasons.

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.
It's more likely that a major player would pull out of toys than prices going down.

funtax
Feb 28, 2001
Forum Veteran

Xenomrph posted:

Well if the environment caused part of the problem, and the poo poo economy caused part of it, and the economy turns around, couldn't that cause some kind of reduction? Sure we can't get the environment part back, but we can make the economy not suck cock. v:shobon:v

There's no reason for them to reduce prices. They've already taken the PR/customer interest hit by increasing prices initially and now have lines that can be sustained at those prices with the customers that remained. Reducing prices is just as risky for them because they can't be sure the customers who left when the initial increases happened would necessarily come back. Bird in the hand and all that.

In addition, as people become acclimated to $15 action figures as "the norm" some customers WILL return. At that point, they have the benefit of increased interest AND a more profitable price-point.

Vaporware posted:

It's more likely that a major player would pull out of toys than prices going down.

Or at least punt on the less profitable lines. I can easily see everyone retiring the DCUC/Marvel Legends scale figures and switching over to 3 3/4" lines exclusively.

Mecheon
Nov 27, 2007

And that was when Ecco realised the world just fucking hates dolphins.

quote:

Which isn't to say the toy companies don't pay attention to the adult collectors but they're perfectly aware that it's a very niche market, and milk that for all its worth with stuff like Matty Collector and HTS.com.

Hasbro pay a bit of attention in Transformers, where we get stuff like Bludgeon or Straxus. Of course said characters are a skeleton samurai tank and a pickaxe wielding artillery cannon so I don't know what that says about Transformers fans

Although I do always laugh at how the Starwars fans managed to get Hasbro to pretty much kill their fan related line with obscure characters

funtax posted:

Or at least punt on the less profitable lines. I can easily see everyone retiring the DCUC/Marvel Legends scale figures and switching over to 3 3/4" lines exclusively.

I'd love this. GI Joes were my introduction to that scale, and I know a lot of people love 6", but drat if having an Iron Man the same size as Duke or some Stormtroopers isn't awesome

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Mecheon posted:

Although I do always laugh at how the Starwars fans managed to get Hasbro to pretty much kill their fan related line with obscure characters
What do you mean?

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

funtax posted:

As far as I know, DCUC does better than the other scales of DC stuff that Mattel makes.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
Lookie what I found today

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

Hot drat, time to start checking for that Blue Beetle every time I go out.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Joe Fisto posted:

I haven't even found the second half of the last wave. Really want that Superboy (shut up :mad:)

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Joe Fisto posted:

Fuuuuuck.

Need that Blue Beetle.

SpeedofLife
Mar 11, 2010
Xenomorph, is the Revoltech Alien figure as cool as it looks? Figured you would know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mecheon
Nov 27, 2007

And that was when Ecco realised the world just fucking hates dolphins.

Xenomrph posted:

What do you mean?

Thanks to stores over-ordering the first few waves of Star Wars Legacy Collection stuff, as they do with all first waves, stores had a massive backstock of wonderful shelfwarmer characters

Having a whole ton of shelfwarmers means stores aren't going to order anything more, obviously, and these particular shelfwarmers were so bad they actually had to send Hasbro reps out just to buy and destroy the damned things simply because no stores were ordering anything because they still had shelves full of sixbreasted dancers and Republic Senators

Naturally the horrible nerdy centre of Star Wars toy fans want to drive the stake into their line by now demanding Hasbro make some librarian or something and somehow attempting to claim it won't kill the line. Hasbro have, thankfully, come up with enough common sense to say "Not in a million loving years"

Of course all I care about with the Star Wars toys is picking up the few things that look awesome, which I rarely can get when said shelfwarmers have been sitting around here for well over a year

Zeitgueist posted:

As far as I know, DCUC does better than the other scales of DC stuff that Mattel makes.

Yeah, the DC 3 3/4" stuff? Generally poo poo. A few things do look nice, but they just aren't even comparable to Hasbro's stuff, even at their best

Plus they're tiny. Hasbro's more around 4" with their scale, so displaying them together is going to look a bit off. Pick up a few if you can get them for cheap, cause they generally do go on sale a lot, but don't expect the greatest toys ever made