Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

lilljonas posted:

You mean there's five on each strip? Why don't you just cut them off from the strip and base them? That's how I do with my 6mm stuff.

They're not just connected to the base, they're also connected to one another. :(

I'll figure something out, though.

Serotonin posted:

Old Glory 10mm are all in strips of 5. Thats just the way they roll.

Yeah but they don't really tell you that. All they say is "50 models" which makes it sound like 50 individual models, not 10 strips of 5.

I also didn't have much of a choice since Pendraken doesn't sell "Red Indians" or Generals on horses. But I'll be using them for just about everything else.

EDIT: So yeah, looking at them again, they're bunched up closer than I based my other guys. This means where I could fit 4 before, I can fit these five. They'll just have double-bases. But with Black Powder's casualty rules, that's not a big deal.

3 Action Economist fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Apr 27, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

I know this is the Historicals thread, but I think most of you would be better situated to answer my question. I'm looking at doing 6mm fantasy stuff with some of my friends (mostly first crusades era, but with witches, inquisitors, and dragons and poo poo.) What would be a good system that's easily customizable to account for weird monsters or unit abilities, and is preferably point-based in some manner?

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Signal posted:

I know this is the Historicals thread, but I think most of you would be better situated to answer my question. I'm looking at doing 6mm fantasy stuff with some of my friends (mostly first crusades era, but with witches, inquisitors, and dragons and poo poo.) What would be a good system that's easily customizable to account for weird monsters or unit abilities, and is preferably point-based in some manner?

I would look here: http://www.sabersedge.com/chipco/fr3.htm

And here: http://6mm.wargaming.info/page1.shtml

EDIT: Also Warmaster, but I think the Warhammer Fantasy thread could help you with that one.

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

Wonderful, thanks!

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Some Ambush Alley news:

quote:

22 April 2010
Ambush Alley Games & Osprey Publishing Partnership!

I am pleased to announce that Ambush Alley Games has entered into a publishing agreement with Osprey Publishing to release an updated, omnibus edition of our core modern rule books in 2011. The combined edition will be entitled Force on Force and will contain all the rules necessary to play Ambush Alley and Force on Force style games!

In addition to the new edition of the Force on Force core rule-book, Ambush Alley Games and Osprey will be releasing new companion books containing scenarios, special rules, and organizations for several specific modern military operations.

I’m very excited about this collaboration, because I believe it will bring you the best that both companies have to offer. You’ll be receiving the same exciting content that we’ve been providing since 2007 and, thanks to Osprey, it will be presented in an even higher quality and more affordable format!

SOG members should be excited to hear that Osprey will continue to honor their 15% discount on all AAG rule-books and companion books they publish. It gets better, though! Osprey will extend that same 15% discount to all their publications and the discount will be applied in addition to any sales or discounts offered by Osprey!

This is a big step in our development as a company and we hope you’re all as excited about it as we are. Rest assured that you’ll continue to see the same level of customer service and responsiveness you’ve received from us in the past – in fact, we’re working on some projects that will actually make us even more accessible and allow us to provide more effective customer support, including enhanced convention and SOG support.

Please visit the Osprey Publishing blog to read their announcement as well.

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Our young men will have to shoot down their young men at the rate of four to one, if we're to keep pace at all.
Thought you guys might like a look at my next 1/35 project after the T34 a few pages back.

This is a MKII Matilda which I am going to paint in North Africa Colours.

Despite me collecting WWII models for about 4 years now and coming from Newcastle upon Tyne I have never painted any thing British up to this point which is a disgrace! :britain:

I try to do something new each time to keep it a bit interesting the T34 was the first time I used salt masking and this is the first time ever I have painted anything that belongs in a desert, using such light colours and straight line masking with an airbrush so we'll see how it goes.

Hope this may be a bit interesting for you.

And hopefully it should come out looking a bit like this Sky Blue BABY!

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

big_g posted:

Thought you guys might like a look at my next 1/35 project after the T34 a few pages back.

You could crosspost this in the scale modelling thread since I don't think everyone there is a dice-rolling nerd who frequents this thread too. Also, I love the camo you're going for.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*
Im about to attempt that exact camo scheme in 10mm....

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Our young men will have to shoot down their young men at the rate of four to one, if we're to keep pace at all.
Excellent what models and paints are you using?

I'm used to 15mm FOW stuff so smaller is more what I'm used to, its the big ones where the mistakes really stand out that's new to me.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

big_g posted:

Excellent what models and paints are you using?

I'm used to 15mm FOW stuff so smaller is more what I'm used to, its the big ones where the mistakes really stand out that's new to me.

Ive just bought a huge bag of Pendraken minis (to add to all the other ones I already have!)

Im going for a mix of paints. Ive countless shades of sand/beige etc (all Vallejo) from other projects so havent decided on that yet. For the grey/blue I will probably use the Foundry British Artillery Grey (which has a slight blue tone to it) and for the dark grey I will use either Foundry Storm Green or Granite.

LintMan
Mar 12, 2006
Be seening you
Cross posted in the miniatures thread, Rifle Platoon:

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

I wish Osprey sold "collections" of books. Like, I'd like to have all of the books on battles for the AWI, but buying them separately means tracking them all down. A box set would be preferable.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Lord Commissar posted:

I wish Osprey sold "collections" of books. Like, I'd like to have all of the books on battles for the AWI, but buying them separately means tracking them all down. A box set would be preferable.

They do compilations of older books now and then. For example, quite a few of the samurai books I have are now available in a single, bigger book with an additional chapter or two. Which sucks when you want it for convenience but you have 4 out of 5 books in it. But a box set or bundle would be nice too, I guess.

That reminds me that I really want the new Elite book on Hatamoto that is released this month, and maybe some books on Mongols, Chinese and Koreans if I do them in 6mm as opposing armies. I'll see if I get some money left after paying bills. :(

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

LintMan posted:

Nice one.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

lilljonas posted:

They do compilations of older books now and then.

Which sucks when you want it for convenience but you have 4 out of 5 books in it.

Yeah, but you can just sell your old copies. Osprey books are always in high demand.

FirstCongoWar
Aug 21, 2002

It feels so 80's or early 90's to be political.
I got Black Powder today. It lives up to the hype, go buy it if you have any interest at all in the time period it covers.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

FirstCongoWar posted:

I got Black Powder today. It lives up to the hype, go buy it if you have any interest at all in the time period it covers.

Its a great read isnt it?

Just wait till you play it - its even better!

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

ASK ME ABOUT TONING MY FINE ASS DWARVEN BOOTY BY RUNNING FROM THE COPS OUTSIDE THAT ELF KINDERGARTEN

BEHOLD THE DONG OF THE DWARVES! THE DWARVEN DONG IS COMING!

FirstCongoWar posted:

My wallet doesn't like the sound of this :argh:

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

No Pun Intended posted:

My wallet doesn't like the sound of this :argh:

Amazon has it for $38 (if you're in the US).

FirstCongoWar
Aug 21, 2002

Lord Commissar posted:

Amazon has it for $38 (if you're in the US).

Amazon has it for 32 if you're in the US :) (which totally sucks because they charged me 35 for it 3 days ago)

http://www.amazon.com/BLACK-POWDER-Battles-Soldiers-Musket/dp/0956358101/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1272544735&sr=8-7

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

FirstCongoWar posted:

Amazon has it for 32 if you're in the US :) (which totally sucks because they charged me 35 for it 3 days ago)

http://www.amazon.com/BLACK-POWDER-Battles-Soldiers-Musket/dp/0956358101/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1272544735&sr=8-7

Well there you go then! Everyone should buy it.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

I have to say, I'm getting tempted by historical minis, but mainly the Perry stuff - are there any companies that do similar quality plastic kits in 25 or 28mm?

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

I have to say, I'm getting tempted by historical minis, but mainly the Perry stuff - are there any companies that do similar quality plastic kits in 25 or 28mm?

I haven't seen them in person, but Victrix make plastic Napoleonics that looks great IMHO and should work well for covering things that Perry's don't have if you start with Napoleonics.

http://www.victrixlimited.com/index.php

Immortal Miniatures have just started making plastic Greek hoplites. They look okay, and they said that they have several new sets ready for release in the near future:
http://www.immortalminiatures.com/plastichoplites.html

Gripping Beast is releasing new plastic Vikings that look pretty sweet, I think.
http://www.grippingbeast.com/

I don't personally like the style of Wargames Factory that much, but they have many sets out and not only do they have vikings that would match the Gripping Beast set, they have matching Saxons on the way too.
http://www.wargamesfactory.com/

But comparing their vikings and the Gripping Beast vikings, I can't imagine why you would choose WF.

vs

Wargames Factory has that mannequin look to their poses that bothers me a lot.

Overall I would say that Napoleonics are by far the period to start with if you want lots of 28mm plastics, as other periods are slowly seeing releases from various companies in plastics but none of them come even close to the number of kits out for Nappy.

EDIT: I have been appointed by my club to check out and order some 15mm terrain for Flames of War. Right now I'm thinking of buying about half a dozen west european houses including a church so that we can at least have a small village to fight over. I'm looking at JR miniatures and Timecast, anyone have experience with them? Or do you have any other great tip for 15mm terrain manufacturers?

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Apr 29, 2010

FirstCongoWar
Aug 21, 2002

The reason to go with Wargames Factory over Gripping Beast is that their models are far easier and cheaper to get in the US. Gripping Beast charges 13 dollars for 8 dudes on foot, whereas Wargames Factory charges 20 dollars for 32.

I don't think the quality is so vastly different that I'd want to pay over twice as much for the same amount of models, AND wait for them to be shipped from overseas.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

FirstCongoWar posted:

The reason to go with Wargames Factory over Gripping Beast is that their models are far easier and cheaper to get in the US. Gripping Beast charges 13 dollars for 8 dudes on foot, whereas Wargames Factory charges 20 dollars for 32.

I don't think the quality is so vastly different that I'd want to pay over twice as much for the same amount of models, AND wait for them to be shipped from overseas.

I see this a lot among US and UK gamers, people on TMP always asking about regional suppliers and even refusing to buy stuff if they can't order it from somewhere in their own country. Is it really that much of a bother? Maybe I'm biased since there's practically no stores for historicals in my country, but me and my clubmates have always ordered directly from the manufacturer no matter if it is is the US, UK, Spain or Italy. I've never had any problems with that. And the pound has been so cheap lately that we get a huge discount on orders from the UK by default.

Additionally I don't see the point of buying cheaper models if they look bad. I'd be ready to use a low price as an excuse to buy more good looking models than I need, but I'd rather pay twice to get nice hoplites from xyston than cheaping out with Minifigs. In this case I guess it's quite a big difference, but still... the only reason I'm considering buying Mongols and Chinese from Irregular is that they are the only company that makes them, and the same thing would be necessary for me to buy those WF vikings.

edit: I can sort of see the point if you are the kind of gamer don't really like the hobby part and just want to quickly dip your troops to play. In that case I can understand going for the cheaper option. But really, what stops me from getting more poo poo is the time it takes to paint, not high prices.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Apr 29, 2010

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Waiting a month for something you've ordered sucks. That's not always the case, obviously, but it's frequent enough that I try to find in-country suppliers.

Plus a lot of times you have to pay a fee for money conversions.

EDIT: For example, I ordered Trafalgar directly from Warhammer Historical, and got charged $1.15. Still came out to about the same as if I'd paid attention and purchased it here, though.

3 Action Economist fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Apr 29, 2010

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

lilljonas posted:

Is it really that much of a bother?

I'm in the UK and have no problems buying from the rest of Europe, but I've occasionally been hit with fairly hefty customs charges when buying stuff from the USA, and that does discourage me a lot to be honest. Also, it can involve really pricey shipping for some stores to send from the US to the UK, and a few don't even like to ship outside the states. That said, not taking advantage of a good exchange rate can be foolish. I really regret not buying more from the states and taking the hit on shipping when the exchange rate was awesomely good.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

lilljonas posted:

Wargames Factory has that mannequin look to their poses that bothers me a lot.

Only because their example models are built badly. I have a set of the Celts, and they're as dynamic as any multi-piece plastic set.

FirstCongoWar
Aug 21, 2002

lilljonas posted:

I see this a lot among US and UK gamers, people on TMP always asking about regional suppliers and even refusing to buy stuff if they can't order it from somewhere in their own country. Is it really that much of a bother? Maybe I'm biased since there's practically no stores for historicals in my country, but me and my clubmates have always ordered directly from the manufacturer no matter if it is is the US, UK, Spain or Italy. I've never had any problems with that. And the pound has been so cheap lately that we get a huge discount on orders from the UK by default.

Additionally I don't see the point of buying cheaper models if they look bad. I'd be ready to use a low price as an excuse to buy more good looking models than I need, but I'd rather pay twice to get nice hoplites from xyston than cheaping out with Minifigs. In this case I guess it's quite a big difference, but still... the only reason I'm considering buying Mongols and Chinese from Irregular is that they are the only company that makes them, and the same thing would be necessary for me to buy those WF vikings.

edit: I can sort of see the point if you are the kind of gamer don't really like the hobby part and just want to quickly dip your troops to play. In that case I can understand going for the cheaper option. But really, what stops me from getting more poo poo is the time it takes to paint, not high prices.

I guess I just don't think that the difference in quality between the two manufacturers is quite as large as you're making it out to be, and especially nowhere near large enough to justify spending twice the amount before you even factor in things like shipping/customs/whatever.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

lilljonas posted:

Additionally I don't see the point of buying cheaper models if they look bad.

The ugly ones stand at the back of the formation.

LintMan
Mar 12, 2006
Be seening you
More FOW. This time some Shermans to go with my infantry.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Wow.

Those look great.

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

LintMan posted:

This infantry is very very good.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Silhouette posted:

Only because their example models are built badly. I have a set of the Celts, and they're as dynamic as any multi-piece plastic set.

You have any pictures? I'd love to see some better posed WF miniatures, as most of their own pictures have them extremely badly posed in ways that never look really human.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

I got something in the mail today!

I have to travel to Kansas (of all places) on Sunday for work, so now I have something to read on the plane.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

lilljonas posted:

You have any pictures? I'd love to see some better posed WF miniatures, as most of their own pictures have them extremely badly posed in ways that never look really human.

No, but as soon as I can find my good camera, i'll take some.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

lilljonas posted:

I haven't seen them in person, but Victrix make plastic Napoleonics that looks great IMHO and should work well for covering things that Perry's don't have if you start with Napoleonics.

http://www.victrixlimited.com/index.php

Ive got both Victrix and Perry plastics. The advantage and the downside of Victrix (other than being slightly cheaper) is that they are properly multi part, like GW players woul;d be used to, whereas the Perry figures arent. The disadvantge ofcours of this is that putting abox of Victrix together takes loving ages, whereas with Perry its very fast. I went with Perry for this reason alone. They are both beautfully sculpted though.

Victrix have also gone ahead in the game by releasing a box set of plastic multi part artillery peices, which are amazing (saw them on their release at Saluter 2010). Unfortunately they only do Brits at present, but the Victrix owner told me they will be doing French if the Brits sell OK. The rate they were being snapped up at Salute fills me with hope that by the end of the year we will see French artillery too.

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Here's a work in progress of where I am with the Matilda I posted a bit back:

I think I have the masking technique down now but I had to try a few different ways first to get it right.

I'm going to give it a thinned down wash, a dry brush then some light dust weathering next.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

looking good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Couple of more updated pics for you guys.