Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pants in my pants
Aug 18, 2009

by Smythe

rubbersoul posted:

also assorted other questions, what kind of brake pads do the rear emergency brakes take? Where can I get a new trunk lock? and how hard would it be to add cruise control to this beast?
The parking brakes use shoes inside the "top hat" of the rear rotor. FCP has an aftermarket set for $25.

Might want to hit the pick n pull for a trunk lock, I've rekeyed 3 different glove box locks to fit my key but I don't know how hard that would be with the trunk lock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
And TheJeffers, if you're going to switch your 940 to 960 taillights, be prepared to stare at the bulb out light on your dash any time you hit the brakes or have the lights on. They use different bulbs and will confuse your car.

If you find a solution to this, let me know. It's pretty annoying.

TheJeffers
Jan 31, 2007

Wow, it's freaky how close our cars are, apart from the interior.

I already posted these in the rides thread, but why not here as well:

I'm currently trying to strip my eggcrate grille back to the plastic, since I botched the paint job the first time I tried to redo it. It'll make its way onto the car eventually.

I've already got the 960 tails on the car, but they don't trigger the bulb out indicator for me, for whatever reason. Is yours a 1991 or 1992?

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp
MY VOLVO

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKOVF1qwPzI

blankooie
Jul 21, 2009

TheJeffers posted:

I've already got the 960 tails on the car, but they don't trigger the bulb out indicator for me, for whatever reason. Is yours a 1991 or 1992?

Bulb out indicators usually work with some measure of resistance. Do the 960 tails use a different bulb?

Bulk Vanderhuge posted:

MY VOLVO

That is my cars new permanent sound track.

Sviatoslav
Feb 9, 2010
As of this morning I am only down to one major issue with my 855!!! TAKE THAT, o2 SENSOR :commissar: !!!

...now about that cooling fan....

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

deratomicdog posted:

Check for a clogged pcv valve (steam coming out of dipstick), that's normally what causes a bad rms. If it's a wagon, look for the tailgate rattle. Uhhh... that's probably it, really.

Hooray, pictures of my 850 autocrossing!

Welp, I'm sold.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I guess this is Volvo related.

In the UK we got new insurance groups at the start of the year. I only recently found out about this so I've been looking up the new ratings. It was on a 1-20 rating before, now it's 1-50 and supposedly most cars have just had their group double.

Not mine. My S60 went from 14 to 35. That means it is now cheaper for me, a young man, to insure:

Mazda RX-8
Alfa Romeo Brera
VW Scirocco R
Golf GTI
2004 Ford Focus RS
Honda Civic Type R
The smaller engined Porsche Boxster

Now when I look at some of those cars, they strike me as exactly the sort of thing insurers wouldn't want me in. They're more powerful, they're flashier, they're way more likely to be driven aggressively and crashed than my S60. Yet here I am, getting charged £1300 (after shopping around) to insure a car I chose for being sensible and comfortable. And able to occasionally overtake people.

And I got the smallest-engined S60 (albeit not the least powerful - even the 2.4D is more expensive than almost all on the list above). Oh and my father's Mercedes E-class estate? More expensive to insure than a goddamn Mitsubishi Evo X.

I hate insurance.

The Mantis
Jul 19, 2004

what is yall sayin?
Ok team let's work this one out together:

I want to put this

(big rear end thule with claw feet)

on top of this.

('06 V50 with rails)

Can/Should I use these cross bars (wing profile)?

Or do I have to use these with a boxier profile?

Also, can anyone provide feedback about vparts.dealerfit.com? I don't have any experience with them and didn't find them mentioned in the forums. I can't find anything on IPD and Thule wants waaaay too much for cross bars and feet.

I'd appreciate any help you could offer. I don't want to drop +100$ only to trash my roof, thule and everything I own :ohdear:

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

TheJeffers posted:

Mine is a 91 and I'm not sure what year the 960 lights are from. I can say that they have different casings and I couldn't just pull the light assembly from the oem lights and plug them directly into the new casings. And they used different sized bulbs, which was inconvenient. If I sell it, I'll probably put the old lights back on and include the 960 casings if they want to deal with it.

Oh and the speedo has started acting up again. Probably just need to open the diff and clean it up, but I've got an extra cluster in case it's not the sender and I need to replace the stock speedo.

edit

Bulk Vanderhuge posted:

MY VOLVO

212k on the odometer. A good video.

Sir Tonk fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Apr 30, 2010

deratomicdog
Nov 2, 2005

Fight to Fly. Fly to Fight. Fight to Win.

Cakefool posted:

Welp, I'm sold.
That doesn't mean don't look for the usual stuff, that's pretty much all the 850 related stuff though.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist
What would cause the odometer on my 96 850 to just stop moving? Both the trip meter and the total meter, it doesn't even seem like they're trying to move. I know sort of exactly where it stopped, an area with really really lovely roads and some of the worst potholes I've hit in a while.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Sir Tonk posted:

Oh and the speedo has started acting up again. Probably just need to open the diff and clean it up, but I've got an extra cluster in case it's not the sender and I need to replace the stock speedo.

When my speedo went apeshit, it was actually the silicone wire-ends inside the plug at the dif that had rotted all to gently caress, and replacing them fixed everything.

With this horrible rotten visual in mind I then replaced all the silicone wire-ends I could find in the rest of the plugs on the car, like the temperature sensor on the block, and found similar carnage at each one.

They are supposed to be white, not brown or black, and if you poke them the silicone should resist, not let your probe in like you're sticking your dick in a wedge of gorgonzola.

pants in my pants
Aug 18, 2009

by Smythe

NOTinuyasha posted:

What would cause the odometer on my 96 850 to just stop moving? Both the trip meter and the total meter, it doesn't even seem like they're trying to move. I know sort of exactly where it stopped, an area with really really lovely roads and some of the worst potholes I've hit in a while.

The odometer drive gear is probably cracked or broken or something, it happens a lot to 850s. You can get a replacement gear for about $30, replacing it isn't too terribly difficult. It's kind of a pain to get the dash apart but it gets faster after you do it once. Volvospeed has instructions on how to get to the gauge cluster, I'd find the link but I'm feeling kind of lazy.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

JayKay posted:

1998 S70 Base. Sorry, thought it was universal across the models I completely forgot to post that.
I'm sure you figured this out by now, just by leaving the stereo on. But if not, here's your owner's manual. Bookmark it and/or print it out:

https://www.customers.volvocars.com/owners/docs/1998/1998_SV70/98sv70_000.htm

From the audio section:

quote:

During this waiting period:

the battery must be connected
the ignition key must be turned to position I
the unit must be turned on
Enter the code again once this time has elapsed.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Looked out the window this morning and saw this.

Volvo R-design wagons! They're multiplying! :byodood:

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

deratomicdog posted:

That doesn't mean don't look for the usual stuff, that's pretty much all the 850 related stuff though.

La la, not listening, he said they're great, brb with the first car I find :buddy:

Sviatoslav
Feb 9, 2010

Cakefool posted:

La la, not listening, he said they're great, brb with the first car I find :buddy:

This is seriously what I did.... well the second 850 I found, but still.

Moral of this story: I don't regret it? GO OUT THERE AND GET THAT VOLVO!!

(and make sure its a wagon)

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Sviatoslav posted:

(and make sure its a wagon)

That's a given. I've been battling with my addiction wanting a Volvo for years. My little Bro recently got a mint 240 glt, my dad's had a succession and I've only recently got to the point where I can actually get one myself. Hope this breaks my French car habit! :suicide:

Sviatoslav
Feb 9, 2010

Cakefool posted:

Hope this breaks my French car habit! :suicide:

Sacre Merd!

Even if the 850 you buy is on fire, you won't regret it anymore than your other car purchases.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Sviatoslav posted:

Sacre Merd!

Even if the 850 you buy is on fire, you won't regret it anymore than your other car purchases.

Well, anything I get has to rival the BX :ohdear: for comfort, the Xsara for 'loving refuse to die' the AX for easy-to-find-spares and the current 206 for practicality.

Also, if it doesn't to the automotive equivalent of stabbing me in the balls (french build quality:suicide: ) that'd be a bonus.

Lord_Kev
Oct 30, 2006
Tried to change the cam-belt on my '02 S40 1.8 GDI, was going well till it came to removing the bottom outer sprocket and it just wouldn't budge. I even made a holding tool, no joy, totally stuck. Any suggestions anyone? I can't really afford to pay a mechanic to do it, but it looks like my hand is being forced. The car is a pain to work on, little space, things in awkward places. I do love it though.

Any advice or help is really appreciated.

Sviatoslav
Feb 9, 2010

Cakefool posted:

Well, anything I get has to rival the BX :ohdear: for comfort, the Xsara for 'loving refuse to die' the AX for easy-to-find-spares and the current 206 for practicality.

Also, if it doesn't to the automotive equivalent of stabbing me in the balls (french build quality:suicide: ) that'd be a bonus.

Well I've sat in great many cars (though admittedly no Citroen's) spanning a great many years and my 850 is one of the most comfortable I've ever rested my rear end in... and I get to drive it every day. Refusal to die: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJgqvRidSBk&feature=related Parts are free a lot of the time, as long as you are nice to turbobrickers. And my 850 gets 30mpg.

Also no ball stabbing! :woop:

Remember. First one you see.

GO!

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
I got a problem. My 1992 740 wagon's brake lights aren't lightin'. They've got good ground all the way to the harness under the front door sill, and the switch on the brake pedal works and has power. Here's the diagram I've got to work with:

Trouble is, this diagram (for a 1990) has a wire into the switch and a wire out, and my switch has a pair of wires on the out side, coming off the bottom of 3/9. One wire goes to B like in the diagram, but the other goes straight into a purple block that looks like a relay, with five (six?) wires in the plug, above and to the left of the brake pedal. Also, the first wire does not run to A from B, most of the wires from B (including the relevant one) join the main wire trunk that heads to the right toward the center of the dash. The next place I want to go is probably 7/1, the Bulb Out sensor, because fffffuck of course :hurr: barring a multiple failure (like the wire from the sensor to the lamp) I'm losing power between the brake pedal and the Bulb Out sensor or it would be lighting up. Okay, I had back-burnered that idea until I verified that the brake pedal position switch was actually working (no power at that switch would mean the Bulb Out sensor doesn't do anything because there's not supposed to be power to the lights) and then forgot about it.

Where's the Bulb Out sensor actually located? The greenbook lists it as being in the rear of the car by the wheelwell, but my power line for the brake appears to go straight from the lamp to the front of the car. Also, any idea what the purple block is?

More on this adventure as it develops!

edit: so the one on the relay block in the center console: only Bulb Out sensor or front Bulb Out sensor?

edit 2: Ssssson of a bitch. I have to have the wrong Yellow/Red, the one in the harness isn't the one at the lamp. The rear Bulb Out sensor lists Yellow/Red coming out to the lamp from the sensor, I have to have it wrong. Thanks for giving me a place to type my way through it, AI.

Splizwarf fucked around with this message at 01:48 on May 3, 2010

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Well, if the bulb out sensor relay dies, one thing that can happen is brake light failure with no indication on the dash. I would change it out with a junkyard unit and see what happens. It's the large round relay in the main relay panel behind the ashtray/stereo.

Try pulling a different bulb and see if the indicator tells you a bulb is out. If not then it's definitely a bad relay. Although, if it does indicate on the dash, I wouldn't rule out the relay.

Edit: I never knew there was one in the rear of the car, I've never owned a 7 wagon. I just can't imagine the wiring being that different.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
On a related note, the Bulb Out light on my other 740 is on all the time, even with all the lights off. :rolleyes:

Machine Gun
Aug 22, 2006

what a fucking nightmare
I'm looking at a 96 850R on craigslist that is listed as good condition, HID 6000k headlights, 80% Goodyear f1's and new sparkplugs. Can I score it for $4k? Listed for $4600, Kbb price is $5k

And if I can't, any other alternatives? Maybe an R model, something that's reliable (850 drive Volvo every day) and is also fun to drive.

Also, do all the wagons make the beeping noise like when a truck backs up? My friend's Volvo wagons does that (not sure what model or year, sorry)

Machine Gun fucked around with this message at 12:11 on May 3, 2010

netwerk23
Aug 22, 2000
I spelled 'network' wrong.

The Mantis posted:

Also, can anyone provide feedback about vparts.dealerfit.com? I don't have any experience with them and didn't find them mentioned in the forums. I can't find anything on IPD and Thule wants waaaay too much for cross bars and feet.
I've never heard of them, but that doesn't necessarily mean much. For parts on my 04VR I use Tasca and MySwedishParts. Tasca is in Rhode Island and MSP is in Texas. Both have excellent prices and very good service. They may offer a discount as well if you tell them you're from SwedeSpeed.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Best Friend posted:

I'm looking at a 96 850R on craigslist that is listed as good condition, HID 6000k headlights, 80% Goodyear f1's and new sparkplugs. Can I score it for $4k? Listed for $4600, Kbb price is $5k

And if I can't, any other alternatives? Maybe an R model, something that's reliable (850 drive Volvo every day) and is also fun to drive.

On the first generation cars, the T5 models were nearly as fast as the R models, the Rs simply held peak boost for 30 additional seconds on full throttle accelleration. They also had special interiors and were lower. They were really fast, many people suggested they were underrated from the factory. Anyway, a T5 is far more common and an adequate substitute. In '98 there even were a lot of manual tranny T5 cars imported. The '98-'00 S and V 70 cars are just a facelifted 850 so include those in your shopping if you want. '98 is viewed as the peak in terms of features and reliability, as they went to drive by wire in '99.

Best Friend posted:

Also, do all the wagons make the beeping noise like when a truck backs up? My friend's Volvo wagons does that (not sure what model or year, sorry)

No, that's an aftermarket kit. IPD used to sell one that plugged in to your reverse light socket, a previous owner might have thought that was cool.

as halfway crooks
Mar 7, 2007

by Shine

LloydDobler posted:

On the first generation cars, the T5 models were nearly as fast as the R models, the Rs simply held peak boost for 30 additional seconds on full throttle accelleration. They also had special interiors and were lower. They were really fast, many people suggested they were underrated from the factory. Anyway, a T5 is far more common and an adequate substitute. In '98 there even were a lot of manual tranny T5 cars imported. The '98-'00 S and V 70 cars are just a facelifted 850 so include those in your shopping if you want. '98 is viewed as the peak in terms of features and reliability, as they went to drive by wire in '99.

No, that's an aftermarket kit. IPD used to sell one that plugged in to your reverse light socket, a previous owner might have thought that was cool.

It is cool.

Found the one you're looking at; it's nice, and I do like the birch/tan interior even though everyone else thinks they're rear end-ugly. Email the guy and go find out what the mileage is; we can't tell you what it's worth without knowing that.

However, regardless, I'd go check this one out too: http://sacramento.craigslist.org/cto/1719448786.html

Machine Gun
Aug 22, 2006

what a fucking nightmare

as halfway crooks posted:

It is cool.

Found the one you're looking at; it's nice, and I do like the birch/tan interior even though everyone else thinks they're rear end-ugly. Email the guy and go find out what the mileage is; we can't tell you what it's worth without knowing that.

However, regardless, I'd go check this one out too: http://sacramento.craigslist.org/cto/1719448786.html

drat, thanks. That's pretty much exactly what I want, but I live in San Jose. Alameda is already a stretch for me. I guess I'll shoot the guy call the and get a friend to drive me out. T5 sedans seem to be pretty rare here but I found some promising S70's

EDIT: poo poo, the red 850R got sold :mad:

Machine Gun fucked around with this message at 00:18 on May 4, 2010

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

I'm pretty loopy from having four impacted wisdom teeth extracted, but I was wondering if anybody could tell me if I need to change my ignition coil if I'm moving from my old '84 ignition to EZK.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Xovaan posted:

I'm pretty loopy from having four impacted wisdom teeth extracted, but I was wondering if anybody could tell me if I need to change my ignition coil if I'm moving from my old '84 ignition to EZK.

Well, spark is always volatile towards the tension of the induction, so alternately I would think capacitance wise you could just cross check with congruent exception.

Or maybe I don't know but loving with loopy people is fun.

Jack_Handey
Jun 3, 2003

My goodness what am I doing here?
Splitzwarf - I'll bet you one million dollars that it's your bulb out relay. Just grab a couple from LKQ, mine went out 3 weeks ago and I had the exact same symptoms.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Splizwarf posted:

When my speedo went apeshit, it was actually the silicone wire-ends inside the plug at the dif that had rotted all to gently caress, and replacing them fixed everything.

We checked that when I took it to the Volvo shop before I bought it. The speedo had died while it was sitting for a few months in front of the guy's house and started working after about forty miles of driving. It sat for a week while I was in California and basically did the same thing, so I'm guessing it's some sort of buildup in the diff.

I need to change the fluid anyway, so I'll just check it out then.

Splizwarf posted:

On a related note, the Bulb Out light on my other 740 is on all the time, even with all the lights off. :rolleyes:

It'll burn out eventually.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

Someone posted the V70 manual (i have a '98 XC) in .pdf form in the last thread but I lost my bookmark to it. It would be much appreciated if I could get a link to that again!

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
1998 v70 Owner's Manual:

https://www.customers.volvocars.com/owners/docs/1998/1998_SV70/98sv70_000.htm

Available from here:

http://www.volvocars.com/us/top/community/Pages/yourvolvo.aspx

which appears to offer a lot of other nice stuff as well, like a Maintenance Chart:

https://www.customers.volvocars.com/owners/docs/1998/1998_maintenance/1998_all_maintenance.html

and the complete specs at a glance:

https://www.customers.volvocars.com/owners/docs/1998/1998_specs/1998_V70.html

For every Volvo after 1964.

In before LloydDobler :chord:

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Fucker. :argh:

Edit: Hey Jeffers, put that http://www.volvocars.com/us/top/community/pages/yourvolvo.aspx link in the OP. It's where any factory available information like owner's manuals and option sheets and poo poo are available on Volvo's US website. I'm tired of linking people directly. They have supporting documentation back to 1965, and owners manuals from 1976 onward.

LloydDobler fucked around with this message at 04:56 on May 4, 2010

Oxphocker
Aug 17, 2005

PLEASE DO NOT BACKSEAT MODERATE

Best Friend posted:

drat, thanks. That's pretty much exactly what I want, but I live in San Jose. Alameda is already a stretch for me. I guess I'll shoot the guy call the and get a friend to drive me out. T5 sedans seem to be pretty rare here but I found some promising S70's

EDIT: poo poo, the red 850R got sold :mad:

For reference, I bought my 98 V70R with 123k miles for $5150..the dealership wanted 6k for it but with minor repairs needed, I talked them down...probably put about $400-500 into it so far for parts, fluid changes, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
So, this car with the currently-hosed brake lights.

When I bought it, I asked for them to get it a new Virginia inspection sticker; I figured this would force them to correct anything life-threatening I'd missed on my go-over. I go in to lay down the cash and it's got a fresh inspection sticker with a reciept and everything, seems kosher. Everything wraps up, money changes hands and things are signed, and as I go to leave with my new car, he hands me the bulbs and sockets for the reverse lights. :raise:
Apparently they couldn't get the reverse lights to light up, so the fix was to remove the sockets, and then it passed inspection. :psyduck:

I put off figuring it out because, well, wiring. This brake issue has me wondering if I'm going to have reverse lights too if I replace the Bulb Out sensor. Except, if the Bulb Out sensor wasn't passing any current, why're the taillights that come on when the headlights are on still working? And hazards and rear fogs still work, too. gently caress, suddenly tomorrow is less cut-and-dried.