Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ReverendRover
Jul 28, 2009

Sundae posted:

one woman who left at the end of her usual shift because she had a daughter at home was terminated.

First, this is total and utter horse poo poo. We would never stand for this in the UK, or any EU country. The American Dream at work. gently caress the USA man, you guys have an utterly lovely deal over there regards to work contracts.

In regards to me quoting you specifically here, when you say terminated, I don't think fired. I imagine Arnie kicking down some nurse's door with an Uzi and a combat shotgun.

"Its a snow day, bitch" BOOM!

I watch too many movies...

EDIT: Forgot to say though, I am strangely addicted to this thread.

ReverendRover fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Apr 29, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
Companies are doing everything they can to fight paying unemployment. I got fired in December a few days before the end of the fiscal year. HR gave me an unemployment packet in my outgoing employee folder and swore up and down "The state will accept your claim, don't worry." The state accepted it just fine, sure, but the company then formally filed an appeal as soon as it went through and set up a hearing and everything.

This was even after an arbiter from the state had spoken to me (and them as well) before approving the initial claim.

Turns out the company outsources this poo poo to a third party which specializes in contesting each and every unemployment claim made, in the hopes that you'll be a poor sucker and freak out and cave when you see the notice. They didn't even list a concrete reason why they were contesting, either.

But once I said "Okay, fine, but first give me my personal record which I am entitled to by law so I can prepare my case" they caved, and withdrew their appeal a day before the hearing. It was all a big rear end bluff. (And I still never got my personal record.)

So I happily collected unemployment knowing they were not only paying for my claim and possible increased premiums, but that stupid third party as well. Hope that whole protecting-the-bottom-line thing is working out for them. Bunch of chickenshits.

Prokhor
Jun 28, 2009

In one moment, Earth; in the next, Heaven.

OppositeOfLove posted:

"Yeah, we've examined it but it's not right for us right now."?

'Oh? You've looked harder than us? You know better than us? Tell us, what do YOU have that WE should be looking in to? Oh? Nothing? So you'll be using it then?'

bleedbackwards
Jan 13, 2008
weapon finesse: my dong

SolidHavoc posted:

I think my favorite part of Office Space is the romanticizing of manual labor at the end. Try that poo poo for a year and tell me how much you hate working in an office

No poo poo, huh? Manual labor is not a noble life. You think it's bad working through office politics to make someone else rich, try sacrificing your health to make someone else rich.

It's pretty hilarious that hipsters have grown beards and are drinking PBR to try to project a "common man" image when they'd all kill someone on the first day if they had to work in a machine shop.

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

Last Christmas they decided not to take us out for dinner in a restaurant or give us money. Instead we had a company "open house", where everyone was asked to bring something.

The one before that we had a white elephant gift exchange! Aaaand it was a disaster. One manager opened his present, and it was a really thoughtful handmade knit hat (made by a rank-and-file employee). The rear end in a top hat just tossed it on the ground next to his chair with evident disdain and sat there with his arms crossed the rest of the time. He was complaining about it loudly to one of his buddies later.

At the same event, one of my friends took it really seriously and spent some money. She went out and bought a pretty nice bottle of vodka. And what did she get in return? The VP of Sales had someone make a joke calendar of the Marketing Director's face photoshopped onto pictures of bodybuilders. She was in tears afterward.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

ReverendRover posted:

First, this is total and utter horse poo poo. We would never stand for this in the UK, or any EU country. The American Dream at work. gently caress the USA man, you guys have an utterly lovely deal over there regards to work contracts.

Yeah, this is what makes me feel sad for decent working Americans, if someone here in Australia fired someone for going home to look after their child they'd have their faces plastered on every newspaper in the country with big "NAZI DICTATOR FIRES WOMAN FOR LOOKING AFTER HER CHILDREN!" headline under it. Then they'd get torn to shreds on every trashy news program we have. They'd be terminated immediately themselves and become near un-hirable for anything more than burger flipping at McDonalds.

Similarly with the holidays, 5 days a year? :psyduck: if a company tried to enforce that here the Australian government would bend them over their desks and wouldn't be gentle about it.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.
We actually have TPS reports. I've been filing information in TPS all day long.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
American companies follow the motto of: "Don't like it? Find a job somewhere else" for the most part. Thing is they all say that and theres nowhere else to work.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

bleedbackwards posted:

No poo poo, huh? Manual labor is not a noble life. You think it's bad working through office politics to make someone else rich, try sacrificing your health to make someone else rich.

It's pretty hilarious that hipsters have grown beards and are drinking PBR to try to project a "common man" image when they'd all kill someone on the first day if they had to work in a machine shop.

Before I landed a job at the lab I'm at now, I worked for minimum wage in the Washington Conservation Corps. It was an AmeriCorps funded program (came out of the Civilian Conservation Corps for you history buffs) where my crew in particular maintained a native plant nursery and restored salmon streams. So we were working outdoors in all sorts of weather.

Too bad that the year I worked we had the wettest year in decades. One day in December brought a lovely storm that flooded I-5 for a few miles. That day we were hauling and planting 8' trees by hand. That includes the huge loving root ball and soil that was attached.

We were loving pros though, none of those trees needed to be staked up despite the amount of rain we got. But yeah, manual labor sucks a big fat one.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Super Waffle posted:

American companies follow the motto of: "Don't like it? Find a job somewhere else" for the most part. Thing is they all say that and theres nowhere else to work.
Little known fact: In a recession, the words to the national anthem actually change to "You should just be happy you have a job right now."

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Solkanar512 posted:

But yeah, manual labor sucks a big fat one.

I work for people who own abattoirs and I'll spend usually a day a week at one of them just doing one of the most basic menial tasks. It's a bit therapeutic to just stand around for 8 hours strapping boxes, or packing meat into cryovac bags and not having to worry about balancing books or finding a whole container of product that's gone missing or making up reports people request and then never look at.

I think a nice half manual labor/half office politics job would be my dream job.

Internet Cliche
Oct 18, 2004
Ninja Robot Pirate Zombie

Rudager posted:

I think a nice half manual labor/half office politics job would be my dream job.

I thought this was going to be the case for me when I got this job at an environmental consulting firm. I have yet to leave the office to go do sampling :(
Good job though, small office, no politics - no one takes it seriously enough.

Hey corporate people: how many hours a day do you think you spend at a computer? Anything on the internet worth reading is blocked, so for me, it's do my time at work, drive home, then back to the computer after I eat something. I do manage to get some exercise in here occasionally. And all I see out in the distance is this lifestyle. I guess I came in expecting too much.

I really don't understand how people have lives. My job isn't even stressful. No take home responsibilities, a reasonable commute, about 30 minutes each way, and I still can't get caught up on anything at home. Imagine if I had a girlfriend, or a family.

I feel kind of like the dog who caught the car. I assume my experience is pretty much the standard, and to quote the philosopher Loverboy, everybody's working for the weekend?

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

the posted:

That's not a job, that's a prison sentence.

And pretty much my life.

My story is originally of an awesome startup that I got into Sr. year of college (CompSci in case anyone cares). Worked there until a little over 2 years ago - when a 'big company' bought them out. As a (very small) part owner, that was a bit o' cash, but honestly, I would have rather kept that job going instead. Losing an exciting, fast-paced, and rewarding opportunity for...

Big company X (near the 400s of the Fortune 500). Most of my experience so far mirrors 90% of this thread. Phatic greetings, SMEees, moronic bosses, excessive paperwork, etc. Not surprisingly, I sink deeper into depression as each day creeps along. Only thing of note is I represent one of two original developers on the acquired s/w.

They probably wouldn't give a poo poo if aforementioned s/w wasn't the hot (read: only) seller right now. After watching the majority of the developers leave, company begins to poo poo a brick about being left high and dry with a product crucial to many new deals. They have basically bribed me and remaining coworker to stick around for the rest of the year. Sad thing is, I don't know if I'll be able to make it.

Everything said is true; there are fun jobs out there. They aren't always easy to find, but a miserable existence at a job you hate is no way to live either.

tolerabletariff
Jul 3, 2009

Do you think I'm spooky?
Just had my 2nd/3rd round interviews at a medium-sized (about $300 bn AUM) asset management company and I gotta say I'm liking the corporate culture there. 40-hour weeks for interns, compared to a fuckin bazillion (60+) for Goldman, J.P., and the other big fish that wouldn't give a puny non-minority sophomore interviews (that's not racist because most of the big fish have minority-only sophomore programs).

Great location, business-casual attire (I was the only one in the office wearing a suit besides the client-facing folks), and everyone seemed friendly. The building was a happy medium between my last job (which was relatively spartan by ) and some gold-plated monstrosity like you'd find on Wall Street. And my (potential) future bosses seem pretty chill, even if one is one of those insane quant types that don't speak English too well. The key to dealing with them, I found out in my last gig, is making sure they send a quick follow-up e-mail outlining the gibberish that you understood about half of in the meeting.

gently caress, I want this job. I can't take another summer in consulting.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Here is my 'corporate' (actually government) story:

I had a contract gig in a new-ish branch of the Canadian government, making some applications based on something. Stupid stuff. Anyway, so I was one of six contractors hired for one year, on the same day.

First, we don't get our own cubicle. Everyone else in the entire building gets their own cubicle, but we get to share, two to a space. Second, we get lovely chairs that hurt the gently caress out of my back after an hour, everybody else gets these fancy new office chairs that were just brought in (there was an unoccupied cubicle filled with extra ones). Third, we didn't get desktop computers, no no, that would be too fancy. We got laptops. lovely laptops with screens that couldn't have been more than 12". For the first couple months we didn't even have mice, we got to use trackpads and the crappy laptop's keyboard. Oh yeah and they were about 2-3000 dollars, since they had a fancy biometric scanner built into them that, unsurprisingly, we never used.
Fourth, the guy I was partnered with would constantly bite his nails, and with a loud, loving annoying noise. Basically if you open your mouth, then close it really fast, to hear your teeth clacking together, that's what it sounded like. Every few seconds. For hours. Even headphones couldn't drown him out. Eventually he was fired for...I don't know, not doing things the way the managers wanted them done. Oh yeah, and if you want to use an IDE, then you crazy. We had to use UltraEdit to work with any code files, then compile everything using a batch command before running it. Because apparently Eclipse had...security issues? Something of the sort.

My co-workers (other than him), were pretty good. About half of them were Chinese with thick accents, which made conversations with them a little tough, but whatever. My new cubicle partner was an awesome guy named Rob, we'd just shoot the poo poo and grab lunch. Anyway.

So we have a bug reporting system. Neat. I get my password and login, and after a while realize that no one is using it to report any errors in my code. Which is great, maybe I'm doing a good job? Nope. The project designer tells me that I have errors that I need to fix. I say great, any more stuff, just send it to the reporting system. I go through the code, fix poo poo, fix some extra poo poo, and polish something else up. On another project the same thing happens. There are bugs, no one notifies me, and later I find out that we have one QA man doing all the QA for everybody's work. Except not really, since we're supposed to be our own QA.

Anyway. Another project comes around, and I do some work on it. Later the project lead tells me there are some errors I need to fix. I tell them that I don't have access to that part of the program, only people above me can do it. They say okay, but in a week's time, they tell me that there are errors, to which I reply that I can't actually do anything with that code.

After that I have no work to do. I quickly learn that in government, a project that can take a day is actually supposed to be stretched to a week. So I finish the work I'm given, then die of boredom because the computers are monitored.

A week later I'm laid off without any notice. I get a call from my contract handler, he tells me that there were problems with my code (the area I don't have access to), and I wasn't meshing with the team. So then I say "Damnit", hang up, and finish putting on my tie as I literally walk out the door, get in a car and get driven to my grandfather's funeral.

This was in October. Now I'm unemployed and not happy.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Roosevelt posted:

Last Christmas they decided not to take us out for dinner in a restaurant or give us money. Instead we had a company "open house", where everyone was asked to bring something.

The one before that we had a white elephant gift exchange! Aaaand it was a disaster. One manager opened his present, and it was a really thoughtful handmade knit hat (made by a rank-and-file employee). The rear end in a top hat just tossed it on the ground next to his chair with evident disdain and sat there with his arms crossed the rest of the time. He was complaining about it loudly to one of his buddies later.

At the same event, one of my friends took it really seriously and spent some money. She went out and bought a pretty nice bottle of vodka. And what did she get in return? The VP of Sales had someone make a joke calendar of the Marketing Director's face photoshopped onto pictures of bodybuilders. She was in tears afterward.

What the gently caress, what the gently caress, what the gently caress?! :psyduck:

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

This thread makes me glad that at least my place is chill to work at. Though we're becoming more corporate and company image and motto conscious and them wanting to turn my job into sales from support. My only complaint is low pay and I try to do less work I end up doing more work than my other coworkers, still don't know what exactly they do half the time and I spend probably an hour at least browsing the internet. At least I can send goatse links to my boss and he'll laugh.

Chicken Doodle
May 16, 2007

Maker Of Shoes posted:

What the gently caress, what the gently caress, what the gently caress?! :psyduck:

...its a white elephant gift exchange, why the gently caress is she buying decent bottles of VODKA for it?!

Wagoneer
Jul 16, 2006

hay there!

Internet Cliche posted:

Hey corporate people: how many hours a day do you think you spend at a computer? Anything on the internet worth reading is blocked, so for me, it's do my time at work, drive home, then back to the computer after I eat something. I do manage to get some exercise in here occasionally. And all I see out in the distance is this lifestyle. I guess I came in expecting too much.

Heh, nothing is blocked for me. I have a corporate imaged computer, but I was contracted after I interned. Basically, the contract company is supposed to keep track of my browsing while I have a computer imaged with my predecessor's MAC address/image. Basically, I browse SA most of the day. Spend a solid 8 hours per day at work on the computer. It's nice, though.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I've found that smartphones are finally good enough at browsing the web that you really don't need to use corporate internet. Not quite as nice, but no risk at all.

Zifnab
Aug 21, 2005

Hope Springs Eternal

FogHelmut posted:

And the near impossibility of being fired. Forgot that one.

Most states are having pretty massive layoffs/forced transfers due to budget cuts actually

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
I MUST TELL YOU HOW PEOPLE CARE ABOUT STUFF I DONT AND BE A COMPLETE CUNT ABOUT IT

Internet Cliche posted:

I thought this was going to be the case for me when I got this job at an environmental consulting firm. I have yet to leave the office to go do sampling :(
Good job though, small office, no politics - no one takes it seriously enough.

Hey corporate people: how many hours a day do you think you spend at a computer?

Probably 8-9 hours. (Our construction site is on a 10-4 or 4-10 or whatever its called schedule. I think it's more than that but when I get up to go talk to people, go scan/copy stuff, I'll take a couple extra seconds. For the record I help keep track of all the documentation that's being worked on by our field engineers.)

Senor P. fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Apr 30, 2010

Murray the Hump
Nov 11, 2006

Veni Vedi Dormivi

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

The Anecdotes in this thread are why I'm seriously perusing a job in government someplace. I want to be the guy who puts in his 40 hours every week to the second, cannot be fired without generating my bodyweight in paperwork, and those delicious government employee benefits.

Federal employee here. While it's true that you have job security and get a generous amount of paid leave, you still have to put up with most of the other BS posted on this thread. For instance, my friend at work just got a mediocre annual review that pretty much makes him unpromotable for the next year, despite him being one of the most productive employees in the department. The manager just doesn't personally like him all that much. She gave one of the worst employees a very good review, mostly because they're from the same neighborhood and went to the same high school and have a lot of mutual friends and acquaintances. So this crap employee who leads the department in errors will likely get a promotion soon, while those who had to correct her mistakes on a daily basis will stay where they are for at least another year.

The Fattest PI
Mar 4, 2008
Yearly evaluations just came up at my work. The whole thing is a clusterfuck and the entire process takes at least 3 months. It consists of the employee doing their own self evaluation, and then the supervisor doing the same thing (but probably disagreeing with you). I've been here for 3 and a 1/2 years, and it's not very complex work at all. In the "Personal development" section of the evaluation I put something along the lines of "I've pretty much peaked as far as my position goes, I'd probably need some formal education to go any further".

I was thinking seminars or whatever bullshit so I might be of service to the company in some other department or if they needed a guy for something else I'd be that guy cause i have this new fangled training.

Nope. Instead they basically poo poo themselves and poo poo all over me. Now everything I do is monitored, and everything I do is wrong. I'm not sure if they somehow felt threatened or something, but they sure want to make sure I know how much I suck now! A week ago and before that everything was fine and friendly and casual I got compliments on my work. On monday, I noticed they were acting weird and checking some of the poo poo I did but I figured it was unrelated. Then I got pulled into an office by my assistant supervisor and supervisor so they could team up and tell me that I've become really lazy and I don't care about work anymore. I wasn't sure what the hell was going on still, so I tried defending myself by bringing up some of the improvements I've made to our procedures or systems. Apparently I was just doing that to make it easier for myself.
:psyduck:

I went from relatively stress free and easy going a week ago to losing sleep and stressing out all of a sudden. It's gotten so ridiculous so fast I've gone to my boss' boss asking for help.

I'm probably super hosed now.

Spike McAwesome
Jun 18, 2004

Zombies? Or middle-management? I can't tell...

Tornado Lazers posted:

Yearly evaluations just came up at my work.

Our's are coming up. My hatred for annual reviews is only overshadowed by my hatred for HR. So on this year's review, under future goals, I wrote:

"To modify the coffee maker into a sentient being capable of destruction so that it will knock a hole in the wall and I'll finally have a window in my office."

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
Someone in HR decided that while a list of Positives and Negatives was a good thing to have on an evaluation, the word "Negative" was too, uh, negative. So instead we had Positives and Deltas, where "Delta" was "Room for Improvement".

Apparently just naming it "Room for Improvement" wasn't good enough, because calling it "Delta" meant you could use pluses and triangles for the Powerpoint bullet points.

Yes, our yearly evaluations were Powerpoint presentations. You had to sign off on the deck.

What no longer amazes me is the fact that not only did someone think this was all a good idea, but that other people took a look and agreed. Corporate America really is just high school all over again, only this time the Student Government kids actually do hold power.

max4me
Jun 15, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

SolidHavoc posted:

I think my favorite part of Office Space is the romanticizing of manual labor at the end. Try that poo poo for a year and tell me how much you hate working in an office

If you gonna have that attitude....look I am gonna need you to move down to the basement

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

max4me posted:

If you gonna have that attitude....look I am gonna need you to move down to the basement

I wonder how long you could go to work wearing body armor before you get fired. That or bring one of those inflatable beds and sleep in your cube.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

I wonder how long you could go to work wearing body armor before you get fired.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUNJeffmLZE#t=01m50s

trex eaterofcadrs
Jun 17, 2005
My lack of understanding is only exceeded by my lack of concern.
HR just sent an email to everyone stating they have altered the employee handbook and requested a signed acknowledgement from each employee in response.

They helpfully included the handbook as a pdf attachment. However, they neglected to point out what pages/sections/any detail what-so-ever the alterations occurred at, so finding the updated policies is like some hosed up corporate Where's Waldo. They also made it a pdf by printing an MS Office document to real paper and scanning THAT back in, so it's impossible to search in and weighs in at 4MB in size. Remember that this was sent to everyone. 1500 mailboxes. Idiots.

generatrix
Aug 8, 2008

Nothing hurts like a scrape

TRex EaterofCars posted:

...They also made it a pdf by printing an MS Office document to real paper and scanning THAT back in, so it's impossible to search in and weighs in at 4MB in size.
At my current company we have several remote offices. Almost everything they use is a web application, so it's fairly easy to support as long as I know what they're working on, and vaguely what they were doing when it happened.

We're pretty good for error handling, so the only time there's a generic "exceptions are hidden for security reasons" error with no explanation is when something outside the program completely dies (like, the network cutting out due to a storm). Twice now I've received an email from a certain manager that kind of baffled me. I managed to piece together the process he follows:

1. Take a screenshot of the error page.
2. Paste the screenshot into word. Do not resize the image.
3. Print the word document.
4. Scan the printout to my email address.

So, I get an email with no useful subject, no body text, containing a tilted PDF of a blurry, undersized screenshot of a generic error message containing no information. Both times I called someone else in that office and chatted about the weather. There was never any follow-up, so I assume he tried again when the storms cleared.

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said
Two stories y'all might appreciate...

--

So a good friend of mine worked for a monolithic media corporation in the US in one of those pointless do-nothing roles that exists entirely to bolster someone's mini-empire, like target co-ordinator or management facilitator or some poo poo. To pass the days of doing nothing he writes short stories or poems or whatever.

So one week my friend has a particularly bad friday and doodles a pretty angry and bitter poem on a scrap of paper. Not about the company or anyone at the company you understand, just metaphorically angry. At the end of the day he scrunches the paper he wrote the poem on into a ball and tosses it in the trash as he's leaving.

He comes in on monday only to find two security heavies waiting at his desk. They then escort him to a windowless 'cell' in the basement of building where two psychologists grill him over the poem. Turns out someone over the weekend was pouring through the trash (wtf) and discovered his poem, analysed it and concluded based on the british-english spelling (because he is British and working in predominantly American office) and a couple other small details that he must have written it. They then push him through a battery of profiling tests for four hours including questions like 'Have you ever had violent or sexual fantasies about your co-workers?', 'Were you ever beaten or bullied as a kid?' etc. before they inform him that his employment has been terminated and the security goons escort him off the property.

Naturally he tries check the legality of all this and is informed that he's been profiled as a security risk to the company and that as such it's totally within their power to remove him immediately. Apparently his unwillingness to talk on record about his sexual fantasies or past emotional trauma's qualifies him as dangerous and unstable.

---

A little while ago I was working on a temp. internship deal with a big financial institution. On my first day I was shown the 'Good Times Wall' which was a huge wall full of certificates, medals, trophies from go-karting, paint balling, running marathons but above all else just pictures of smiling employees.

A couple of weeks later I find out from my line manager, who turns out to be a pretty decent dude, that the Good Times Wall isn't a spontaneous thing they've done for fun, it's a mandatory morale initiative which he is responsible for. Not only that but the higher ups have devised a scheme to monitor their little initiative by periodically analysing the Wall and grading it against the other manager's walls based on size, variation and overall number of employee's depicted smiling ( the "Negative Nancy's" who don't smile aren't allowed on the wall to the extent that they get cut out of photos or papered over).

Not only this but the higher up fucks are obsessed with spontaneous growth or some bullshit which means the wall has to constantly grow. My manager's predecessor actually lost his job because he let the team down by allowing their wall's growth to flatline.

Rustybear fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Apr 30, 2010

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004

Roosevelt posted:

This is so tragic and awkward, it could very well be an episode of The Office.

qa6
Jul 26, 2006

I'll tell ya how I been!
I BIN JUNK!

Rustybear posted:

Two stories y'all might appreciate...

--

So a good friend of mine worked for a monolithic media corporation in the US in one of those pointless do-nothing roles that exists entirely to bolster someone's mini-empire, like target co-ordinator or management facilitator or some poo poo. To pass the days of doing nothing he writes short stories or poems or whatever.

So one week my friend has a particularly bad friday and doodles a pretty angry and bitter poem on a scrap of paper. Not about the company or anyone at the company you understand, just metaphorically angry. At the end of the day he scrunches the paper he wrote the poem on into a ball and tosses it in the trash as he's leaving.

He comes in on monday only to find two security heavies waiting at his desk. They then escort him to a windowless 'cell' in the basement of building where two psychologists grill him over the poem. Turns out someone over the weekend was pouring through the trash (wtf) and discovered his poem, analysed it and concluded based on the british-english spelling (because he is British and working in predominantly American office) and a couple other small details that he must have written it. They then push him through a battery of profiling tests for four hours including questions like 'Have you ever had violent or sexual fantasies about your co-workers?', 'Were you ever beaten or bullied as a kid?' etc. before they inform him that his employment has been terminated and the security goons escort him off the property.

Naturally he tries check the legality of all this and is informed that he's been profiled as a security risk to the company and that as such it's totally within their power to remove him immediately. Apparently his unwillingness to talk on record about his sexual fantasies or past emotional trauma's qualifies him as dangerous and unstable.

---

A little while ago I was working on a temp. internship deal with a big financial institution. On my first day I was shown the 'Good Times Wall' which was a huge wall full of certificates, medals, trophies from go-karting, paint balling, running marathons but above all else just pictures of smiling employees.

A couple of weeks later I find out from my line manager, who turns out to be a pretty decent dude, that the Good Times Wall isn't a spontaneous thing they've done for fun, it's a mandatory morale initiative which he is responsible for. Not only that but the higher ups have devised a scheme to monitor their little initiative by periodically analysing the Wall and grading it against other the other manager's walls based on size, variation and overall number of employee's depicted smiling ( the "Negative Nancy's" who don't smile aren't allowed on the wall to the extent that they get cut out of photos or papered over).

Not only this but the higher up fucks are obsessed with spontaneous growth or some bullshit which means the wall has to constantly grow. My manager's predecessor actually lost his job because he let the team down by allowing their wall's growth to flatline.

Holy poo poo, dude.

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

SolidHavoc posted:

Having done both for a number of years, I can tell you unequivocally that I prefer office work. Yeah there is bureaucracy and passive-aggressive incompetent bosses and poo poo, but you get mostly the same thing with manual labor blue collar stuff, and at least here it is air conditioned and I can surf the internet uninterrupted for hours sometimes.

bleedbackwards posted:

Take it easy man. loving Hipsters! :argh:

But yeah people can romanticize labor all they want, but I have a list of things I never want to do again, including:

a.) die-setting in a plastics blow molding facility that couldn't be air conditioned because it would gently caress up the melt temp of the plastic
b.) any kind of restaurant work, ever
c.) "helper", loading huge rolls of paper onto printing presses all day
d.) working on the line in any of the 3rd-tier automotive suppliers dotting Western Michigan (the "non-union and proud" side of Michigan)

Rustybear posted:

Ofice work gives you an excuse to sit down. If you have ever worked retail or as labour just the ability to sit down at a desk becomes a loving luxury.

God yes, the sweet sweet relief of sitting down after standing/crouching/walking/hunching/lifting for 8 or 9 hours... Now I sit all day and go exercise in the gym at work. Yeah, getting that college degree was worth it.

Defleshed fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Apr 30, 2010

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said

Defleshed posted:

Having done both for a number of years, I can tell you unequivocally that I prefer office work. Yeah there is bureaucracy and passive-aggressive incompetent bosses and poo poo, but you get mostly the same thing with manual labor blue collar stuff, and at least here it is air conditioned and I can surf the internet uninterrupted for hours sometimes.

Office work gives you an excuse to sit down. If you have ever worked retail or as labour just the ability to sit down at a desk becomes a loving luxury.

Rustybear fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Apr 30, 2010

Abbeh
May 23, 2006

When I grow up I mean to be
A Lion large and fierce to see.
(Thank you, Das Boo!)

Umiapik posted:

I've read these posts about holiday entitlement in the USA with my eyes popping out of my head with disbelief. Is it really normal to only have 2 weeks annual holiday in the USA? Do some people really only get 5 loving DAYS holiday a year in their full-time jobs?!? There are businesses in the USA that count their employee's annual leave in HOURS?!?!!! :aaaaa:

At my job I have 5 paid holidays (Christmas, New Years, etc) and ten paid days off, which makes two full weeks if you include the weekends. It's not great, but it's not bad either. We also have separate sick days, four I think.

My last job gave us time per each hour we worked, so it was possible to save up quite a bit of time - though that was also counted in hours. We were also very much discouraged from taking time off. As in we could only take time off if everyone else was working that day, and as long as there weren't any busy clinics (hospital), even though I worked with three other people who did the same job. My boss was the Jersey shore wife version of Lumberg. Uhg.

In fact my last job made me so nervous about asking for time off, that I'm terrified of asking for the Friday and Monday around my wedding off, to have a nice long weekend. I should do that today.

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said

qa6 posted:

Holy poo poo, dude.

Same place as the good times wall used to also have the craziest IT system I have ever encountered.

Because the nature of the work meant that even junior fuckups like myself could make mistakes which screwed the company up various supervisors had to greenlight riskier tasks. This naturally took forever so to force everyone to stick to the system some genius changed the corporate IT structure to need superuser privileges to do certain tasks. All the drones got regular user privileges while everyone with their name on a door got a superuser account. Except that the superusers were super stupid and quickly hosed up their computers opening spam mails and whatnot. So the company changes the system so that everyone goes back to having a user account and there is just one superuser account for the supervisors to greenlight us with.

Except that the password to this account is like 'abc123' or something so everyone in the office with half a brain quickly catches on and so do the supervisors, so then everyone is forced into the wonderful position of either risking our jobs by authorising something we're not allowed to authorise on our own or harassing a supervisor to help with a task that they know we could do without them.

And for all you techies reading this thread the IT guys were also bound by the same rules! So if anyone's comp. broke down (and they did frequently) the IT guys had to repeatedly call up one of their supervisors to test the system. Although I'm guessing they developed a workaround because none of them appeared to have actually been driven insane.

Rustybear fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Apr 30, 2010

bleedbackwards
Jan 13, 2008
weapon finesse: my dong

Defleshed posted:

Take it easy man. loving Hipsters! :argh:

My dad worked dangerous oilfield jobs his whole life and died young so that I could get an education and I wouldn't have to do the same poo poo. I just find it annoying that suburban kids think it's some kind of glorious sacrifice to trade air-conditioned offices for jobs where you're treated as an automaton that gets spit out after your health is failing and you've provided all that you're worth. It belittles the sacrifices of the people who work these jobs because they grew up in poverty, didn't get a chance for an education, and don't have many other options because they have families to feed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said

Defleshed posted:

God yes, the sweet sweet relief of sitting down after standing/crouching/walking/hunching/lifting for 8 or 9 hours... Now I sit all day and go exercise in the gym at work. Yeah, getting that college degree was worth it.

This is the truth. No matter how bad corporate bullshit gets remember that blue-collar stuff is way worse. Same high school politics only irregular hours, irregular pay, physical exhaustion and health problems.