Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

PaintVagrant posted:

Thanks for the procreate suggestions duders, it worked way better for me than GS

A) Not bad, but it feels like there's way too much going on with this model. Dude's on a fallen statue's head with double banners and tabards everywhere and oh god look at that spear. At the very least give him a helmet (DA Exarch?) so I don't keep looking at that banner.

B)That's Yriel, right? Doesn't he come on a 28mm base?

bhsman fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Apr 29, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
a) not a DA exarch
b) dont give a gently caress

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

PaintVagrant posted:

a) not a DA exarch

It was just a suggestion, I know he's an autarch. Just way too busy. v:shobon:v

quote:

b) dont give a gently caress

Just don't come crying to me when some sperglord gets you kicked out of a 6-man tournament for illegal basing. :colbert:

Tentacle Party
Jul 2, 2003

(breathing intensifies)
PV, put some japanese kanji on those banners, TIA.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!

bhsman posted:

It was just a suggestion, I know he's an autarch. Just way too busy. v:shobon:v

Once he gets it painted, the focus will be on the model, I think, and not the cow skull base.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

I originally tried to modify a DA helmet, but it looked too much like a DA exarch.

I also like the idea of an Autarch having his helmet off, since exarchs technically cant.

Im gonna paint giant red hearts with anime girl faces on each banner

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

It doesn't feel right to kill an unarmed man... but I'll get over it.

PaintVagrant posted:

Make sure you rust that poo poo, bro. Sparkly-clean banners ain't right.

(If human sacrifice would let me paint like the dude with the questionable taste in eldar decorations, I'd heavily consider it, because holy gently caress)

AgentF
May 11, 2009
CROSSPOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOST

Bullet Proof
Sep 3, 2006
Have any of you guys tried painting 54mm stuff? Is it easier or harder? I want to give it a try but then I see something like like this and get super intimidated

I mean look at that tattoo, thats super cool

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

Bullet Proof posted:

Have any of you guys tried painting 54mm stuff? Is it easier or harder? I want to give it a try but then I see something like like this and get super intimidated

I mean look at that tattoo, thats super cool

From what I've seen it is much much harder to pull off well. It takes actual talent because you have to basically put a painting ON the model rather than put just paint on the model.

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

It doesn't feel right to kill an unarmed man... but I'll get over it.
Definitely going to be more of a challenge than typical 28-30mm stuff. On the other hand, the techniques required to make one look good will almost certainly carry over positively to smaller work - really getting consistent lighting on lockdown, improved freehanding skills from having to add detail with paint rather than relying on the sculpt, and so on are all generally applicable skills that will only improve your painting anywhere.

The same could be said of 25mm and smaller things improving your ability to paint fine detail, though I'm pretty sure there's a point of diminishing returns on that.

In any case, if you've got the cash to spare, aren't afraid of stripping and starting over if you gently caress it up horribly, and are looking for a learning experience, I'd say go for it. The one concern I'd have is that most of the 54mm kits I've seen have been polyurethane resin of one sort or another, and I don't know how that reacts with our commonly-used strippers (LA's, Simple Green, etc). Maybe hit up the scale-modeling thread in DIY for info on that.

Bullet Proof
Sep 3, 2006
Ah hell, you're right. Even if it ends up looking like poo poo I'll learn a lot and I've got no motivation at the moment to paint another box of identical dudes. I think I'll give this guy a shot. Being white metal means I can strip him no problems right?

I'll even make a project of it and post wip shots in here bugging you guys for help :3:

AgentF
May 11, 2009
Another crosspost from the 40k thread. This guy also seems to be covered in dust. I guess my painting area is dusty. These photos (and those I took of other models) don't seem to do the models justice. They look much better in real life, so perhaps I need a lightbox or something. I am aware that he is yet to be properly based.

!amicable
Jan 20, 2007

AgentF posted:

Another crosspost from the 40k thread. This guy also seems to be covered in dust. I guess my painting area is dusty. These photos (and those I took of other models) don't seem to do the models justice. They look much better in real life, so perhaps I need a lightbox or something. I am aware that he is yet to be properly based.

Everything looks flat. Did you do any highlighting?

AgentF
May 11, 2009

!amicable posted:

Everything looks flat. Did you do any highlighting?

Nope. I've previously used this colour scheme to paint a crapload of guardsmen and didn't bother with highlighting, so it didn't even cross my mind for this guy. What would you suggest?

!amicable
Jan 20, 2007

AgentF posted:

Nope. I've previously used this colour scheme to paint a crapload of guardsmen and didn't bother with highlighting, so it didn't even cross my mind for this guy. What would you suggest?

If you want to do up a bunch of the guards you have finished I'd probably suggest delvan mud wash all over that bitch then highlighting in the base color.

For the gold I guess whatever color that is +mithril silver.

I don't use the GW paint line and hardly know the names of the paints I use so I can't really offer much in the way of color suggestions. You could get a lot of mileage out of the new GW washes. They are really great.

I can see the blue/black coat being a bitch, but maybe just do some gray edge highlighting? I have problems with black too-if you do subtle highlighting it usually washes out and doesn't look great on the table top. If you go over the top and have stark contrast it can end up a jarring. Edge highlighting seems to be the best way to go about it...but for fabric and organic shapes it works less well.

I'd consider this a pretty sloppy attempt at highlighting black:

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Alas, our kitten class attack ships were no match for their mighty chairs

PaintVagrant posted:

I originally tried to modify a DA helmet, but it looked too much like a DA exarch.

I also like the idea of an Autarch having his helmet off, since exarchs technically cant.

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.
New painter here, somewhat new player. Just started working on painting my Tau army and having trouble finding color schemes. Right now I'm just working on three Fire Warrior squads.

The idea is is each squad has a Sha'ui that is metallic red (not posted here), carbines being a metallic blue and rifle squads being metallic purple. Finding it hard to choose a three fold color scheme on them. Right now it's just Black, Chainmail Silver and the primary color... but I'm not sure I want to keep the black as a color.
They haven't really been detailed yet, just started putting down base colors. Tried running a purple/blue scheme on a carbine weapon and I'm not too pleased with it. Any recommendations?

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Metallic colored paints always seem like a great idea, but they dont really contrast very well with each other. Id stick to one metallic color at most, and use regular matte colors for the other stuff

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I agree, I rarely use more than one type of metal on a miniature (unless its just varying ones to shade a single object). If you are determined, you might have better luck painting in mithril silver, and then using colored washes over it for the different areas? I have never tried this, but I have seen some nice metallics done that way. Not sure if it would differentiate any more than just metals, though.

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.
Yeah, I realized real fast they don't contrast very well. Keeping it mostly on the FireWarrios and a little bit on a Broadside I'm also working on (just for some paneling on it and the railgun's 'barrel' portion) right now I'm just trying to figure out what kind of color to replace the black with. Was thinking a matte grey-blue but I'm not sure it would work well on the Carbine users.
-Edit- really only doing it for the armor. Leaving Pathfinders and vehicles mostly untouched (Though my Fish is beyond salvaging.. never try a vehicle as your first attempt...)

chelsea clinton
Sep 16, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Yeah, several coloured metallics all together look tacky. I like that blue metal and maybe that purple metal too but they don't work together at all. It's just too much. Stick to blue metal, silver and then muted colours for fatigues etc.

If you got three different squads you can paint a different area of the symbol of the shoulderpad white for each of them. Top squad, right squad and left squad sounds good.

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.

chelsea clinton posted:

If you got three different squads you can paint a different area of the symbol of the shoulderpad white for each of them. Top squad, right squad and left squad sounds good.
Didn't even think to do that, I can almost run three squads with what I have currently (roughly a 700 - 800 point army depending on equip) and not a bad idea.

My Pathfinders are all Matte as well as most of my Broadside and Crisis Suit.

Edit:
I do the blue metallic with Ashurman Blue wash over Chain mail, and Leviathan Purple over Chain mail for the Riflemen.

Kortel fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Apr 29, 2010

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?
If you darkened up the colored parts and got the silver a lot brighter it could work okay. Maybe.

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.

Devlan Mud posted:

If you darkened up the colored parts and got the silver a lot brighter it could work okay. Maybe.

What silver would you recommend? Using chainmail at the moment. Bolt metal doesn't seem that bright in comparison. I don't have a large election going ot have to order some more colors might as well start a checklist now.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Am I remembering PV's Ork metal right?

Boltgun
Foundation Orange wash
Devlan wash
Boltgun drybrush
Silver drybrush

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Posting this for posterity, painting white over a black basecoat:

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/index.php?s=&showtopic=143802&view=findpost&p=1671454

Fake EDIT: Here's another one that's less of a 'cool' white and doesn't have as many WIP pictures but looks pretty nice:

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/index.php?s=&showtopic=143802&view=findpost&p=1666586

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Am I remembering PV's Ork metal right?

Boltgun
Foundation Orange wash
Devlan wash
Boltgun drybrush
Silver drybrush

Move the boltgun drybrush between the orange and devlan and you've got it.

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006
Was feeling productive the other day so I painted up a librarian I had laying around, I think it needs another coat of paint on the shoulders and the eyes need some work.

Any suggestions for making crazy psyker eyes?

Chenghiz
Feb 14, 2007

WHITE WHALE
HOLY GRAIL

Ezekiel_980 posted:

Was feeling productive the other day so I painted up a librarian I had laying around, I think it needs another coat of paint on the shoulders and the eyes need some work.

Any suggestions for making crazy psyker eyes?

Looks pretty good, but one thing I would recommend is, if I'm correct in assuming you're washing over the yellow, when the wash is still wet, use a dry brush to soak up/brush off the wash from raised spots, to help with the splotchiness you're getting on the yellow especially.

I'm sure other people do more sensical poo poo, but for glowing psyker eyes I generally do ice blue on and round the eyes, and then wash asurmen blue on the eyes, and highlight with white in the centres of the eyes. Ends up something like this:

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Chenghiz posted:

Looks pretty good, but one thing I would recommend is, if I'm correct in assuming you're washing over the yellow, when the wash is still wet, use a dry brush to soak up/brush off the wash from raised spots, to help with the splotchiness you're getting on the yellow especially.

I'm sure other people do more sensical poo poo, but for glowing psyker eyes I generally do ice blue on and round the eyes, and then wash asurmen blue on the eyes, and highlight with white in the centres of the eyes. Ends up something like this:

Moreso than the eyes, I love how you converted that rune weapon.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

PaintVagrant posted:

Thanks for the procreate suggestions duders, it worked way better for me than GS

This model was such a jerk, I split my thumb, razorsawed my left index finger, and put him together and took him apart like 7 times total. I didnt settle though, Im pretty happy with the end result :3:

Yeah, I agree with bhsman on this, not only is there too much going on, it's all over the place. Banners are going two ways which are different to the tabard with is different to the spear pennant which is different to the elbow gem (what?) which is different to him. They seem to imply a movement that the character just lacks. the torso is bolt upright, and the stance is too wide, so it looks like he's just balancing there. His feet are nearly as far apart as he is tall. I'd bring the legs a bit closer together and even go so far as to turn the front foot to point where he's looking. On top of that:

Otherwise, looking good. Be great to see him finished.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

I appreciate the diagrams and schematics, but I already started painting him soooo

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Alas, our kitten class attack ships were no match for their mighty chairs
Even though this is moot,

I don't know if I'd go so far as to turn the banners to match the tabard since theoretically the pole would probably be fixed and not rotate. At most I'd heat up the corner of the banner and bend it in the same direction slightly.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

PaintVagrant posted:

I appreciate the diagrams and schematics, but I already started painting him soooo

So then you're going to have an overly busy, all over the place painted mini v0v Forgive me for thinking you'd like some constructive criticism and input after posting instead of a place to rubber-stamp your minis. Maybe you should get a blog to do that on?

spacegoat
Dec 23, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nap Ghost
Dude, I love your work but at least do something about that stance. He looks like he's a graduate from the lesser known Goat'Se aspect.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Wtf am I supposed to do, break my model after spending like 6 hours painting it because you dont like it?

*publishes to wordpress, RSS feed*

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

PaintVagrant posted:

Wtf am I supposed to do, break my model after spending like 6 hours painting it because you dont like it?

The question is, are you man enough? :clint:

spacegoat
Dec 23, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nap Ghost

PaintVagrant posted:

Wtf am I supposed to do, break my model after spending like 6 hours painting it because his stance is wider than he is tall?

:colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
Yes that's exactly what you should do :rolleyes: But then again maybe if you gave bhsman's criticisms more than 8 words of thought maybe you'd be putting up pictures of a changed pose instead of posting pithy replies. You have a high standard dude, and I think this falls short and I've told you why. It's your mini, do what you want. I just don't think it's particularly good.

• Locked thread