Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
I'm so glad that I didn't have to learn taste in a classroom. :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!
HDR photos. They are the Thomas Kinkade of photography.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Kodak bridge cameras are perfect for amateur photography

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
God drat

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
I wonder how many people lurk the Dorkroom. Judging by the Flickr stats of things I post here, probably a considerable number.

loving :iceburn: by Reichstag right here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3298175&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=4#post376089976

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

Reminds of the discussion on a friend's little brother's facebook wall that's currently going on about how all modern art is totally devoid of any sort of artistic value. Except they keep using the word Modern as an era, and his "photographer" friends keeps talking about how they keep being judged so harshly in class, and it's totally unfair how art has to be controversial or of naked people, and why aren't their photos of normal (read as: boring) people doing normal (boring) things (photographed boringly) totally just as good?

I had to try really hard to keep my mouth shut, but I think it was for the better. One "photographer" (he kept calling himself one anyways) shot only plastic fisheye. Yes, that's art, right there.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Hey guys, you can get a Pentax MX for $15.

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

See, this is some nice HDR. It doesn't wreck the image by forcing your eyes to try to focus on everything or scan around constantly like the muddy water floor reflection one. The pictures start out interesting enough as is, and the HDR provides a much stronger range of color and detail that takes an already good picture and turns it into a great picture. HDR is the "cool thing to do" now so it's constantly misused, to the point where these three pictures probably wouldn't even register as HDR to your average joe because they're used to the massive contrast eye bleeding you see all the time.

...don't mind the halos and insane saturation, totally wouldn't register as HDR

Edit: This thread is horrifying.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
I feel like the one dude with the whale avatar is pretty much asking for a custom title.

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl

Paragon8 posted:

That photography thread in GBS is the worst thing ever, nobody post in it.

Ugh, yeah. It is pretty lovely, from the "what's wrong with this awful HDR?" to the armchair critics going "yesssss this is simply TOO SATURATED :smug:" and the GBS "you can never have too many pictures of KITTIEEEESSS" brigade.

I'm glad that the Dorkroom exists.

[e]

Whitezombi posted:

HDR photos. They are the Thomas Kinkade of photography.

GOD loving DAMNIT I was going to make that exact comparison yesterday and I didn't because I thought it wasn't quite accurate.

VVVVVVVVVVVV I enjoy the people going "wait, we have a photography forum?" Hahahahaha, yessssss :smug:

orange lime fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Apr 30, 2010

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
I'm enjoying the dorkroom invasion in that thread.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

i used an HDR photo of mine for an old GBS PS thread where I turned it into a scene from stalker. like a dozen people emailed me to ask for the original :3:

also, i think my hdr phase lasted like 6 months. i dunno if that's forgivable or not.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

guidoanselmi posted:

i used an HDR photo of mine for an old GBS PS thread where I turned it into a scene from stalker. like a dozen people emailed me to ask for the original :3:

also, i think my hdr phase lasted like 6 months. i dunno if that's forgivable or not.

Depends on the penance you did after.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?

guidoanselmi posted:

also, i think my hdr phase lasted

The important part of this sentence is the past tense. :golfclap:

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
I'm glad my laziness kept me from ever trying photomatix or a tone mapping program. It just got too complicated if I ever had to leave lightroom.

trueblue
Oct 10, 2004
Can we still be friends?

guidoanselmi posted:

my hdr phase lasted 1 photo :smug:

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE

You guys just don't understand.

Zegnar
Mar 13, 2005

ease posted:

dude you forgot the watermark someone might steal it, here ive added one

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

orange lime posted:

VVVVVVVVVVVV I enjoy the people going "wait, we have a photography forum?"
When I got my first SLR last year, I scrolled down to CC thinking "maybe they have a photography thread or two that I can get some tips from." This quickly became "wait, we have a photography forum?"

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug

Ringo R posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yILyCIZ4CTM
Posted in the GBS youtube thread. Dave Chapelle chats with some paparazzi, asking about how they work and so on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w462X02gWYw&
Paparazzi chasing Amy Winehouse. Look at all that expensive gear used on something so... useless.
loving scummy bottom feeders.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

ease posted:

Insufficient halos.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Maybe use some selective color to really emphasize the text?

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

GWBBQ posted:

When I got my first SLR last year, I scrolled down to CC thinking "maybe they have a photography thread or two that I can get some tips from." This quickly became "wait, we have a photography forum?"

Maybe we should buy a banner or something.

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!

orange lime posted:

[e]

GOD loving DAMNIT I was going to make that exact comparison yesterday and I didn't because I thought it wasn't quite accurate.

Wasn't mine - some dude from that thread.

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS
I'd pitch in for a banner, but only if it was something along the lines of "Dear GBS, stay the gently caress out of The Dorkroom"

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

I'm glad my laziness kept me from ever trying photomatix or a tone mapping program. It just got too complicated if I ever had to leave lightroom.

When I first started out (only a few months ago lol), I was all "HDRs are sweet!". Then I read the photomatix tutorial and decided it was too much work, then I read more about photography and realized how awful 99.9999999999999% of HDR's are and im off that now. Thank you Dorkroom

This has been another Dorkroom success story.

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS
Oh, and whoever said that woot fatigue does good HDR... man... there really should be a different term for what woot does that separates it from the average shithead who takes three pictures and presses the HDR button in some program.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
High Dynamic Range is High Dynamic Range. The term for whatever that crap is ought to be different; "HDR" never should have been co-opted in the first place. Call it Candyland Contrast Explosion or something.

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

pwn posted:

High Dynamic Range is High Dynamic Range. The term for whatever that crap is ought to be different; "HDR" never should have been co-opted in the first place. Call it Candyland Contrast Explosion or something.

I think poo poo works best.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Whitezombi posted:

I think poo poo works best.

Pastel colored poo poo.

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS
PCS then?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

ease posted:

No colours so saturated that they look outlined. HDR deemed inadequate.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

squidflakes posted:

PCS then?

Can the different letters be different colors, outlined in harsh, glaring white? And if it pulses...can it pulse? If so, PCS seems to have it.

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS

or

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

squidflakes posted:

or

Beautiful...just...breath-taking. I have a small tear in my eye. That could be caused by the damaged retina, though.

milquetoast child
Jun 27, 2003

literally

Phat_Albert posted:

When I first started out (only a few months ago lol), I was all "HDRs are sweet!". Then I read the photomatix tutorial and decided it was too much work, then I read more about photography and realized how awful 99.9999999999999% of HDR's are and im off that now. Thank you Dorkroom

This has been another Dorkroom success story.

This, this was me.

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

craigslist dumbass posted:

Albuquerque-based photographer needed for a 1 to 2 week gig of taking digital pictures (exterior) of dining and nightlife venues. Looking for someone who knows Albuquerque & its nightlife scene well (not necessarily a partier, but just someone who is in tune with where people go). Pro photography experience is not necessarily required, just a quality digital camera & availability to complete the task within 2 weeks.
Please respond by email if you meet these criteria & would like more info.

* it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests
* Compensation: $0.50 per picture

Sign me up.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?

Whitezombi posted:

Sign me up.

Hello hard drive dump!

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Whitezombi posted:

Sign me up.

Is it $.50 per picture accepted or per picture provided? Because if it's the latter, I'm willing to fly in and fill up a few 16 gig cards for the guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

torgeaux posted:

Is it $.50 per picture accepted or per picture provided? Because if it's the latter, I'm willing to fly in and fill up a few 16 gig cards for the guy.

gently caress you guys. I just bought 10 128GB compact flash cards.

I emailed and asked but I bet it's for each one accepted and used.