Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fraser CDN
May 16, 2009
MORON

Simkin posted:

Any statistics on what the suicide rate is on PAT? Two weeks in, and morale is pretty loving low among the troops. The prospect of sitting around and getting paid to do gently caress all sounded good on paper, but in practice is just the most boring thing ever. :emo:

I loved PAT. Before they made it all gay. We use to do what ever we wanted, read books, listen to ipods, sleep during the day. Then they made it like... work...... we had to do topo class and C7 refresher. For suicide rate in Meaford I know of only 1 guy who knocked himself off while on PAT.

Fraser CDN fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Apr 27, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

surivdaoreht
Jan 22, 2009

I posted a little earlier in this thread, about applying/being in the process of joining the CF.

As I've begun training in preparation (hoping I'll be accepted) it looks like I might have pushed myself too hard off the bat and developed a shin splint in my left leg. I'm sure some of you guys have had experience with this, so I decided I'd post in here as well as the W&W injuries thread.

That post; http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3201193&pagenumber=10#lastpost

What do you guys recommend? I've been trying to ice it here and there since it started to bother me a week ago, as well as taking aleve for the anti-inflammatory benefits. I can't tell at this point if it's gotten any better or worse, and I'm stressing because I'm just trying to prepare myself as best as I can. I don't have a clue how quickly I could end up at BMQ, should I get in. I've been hearing all sorts of different things about how long the application process takes.

Did any of you have any shin splint issues while at basic? Seems like the environment could be perfect for developing them.

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

The only thing I hate more than hippie neo-liberal fascists and anarchists are the hypocrite fat cat suits they grow up to become.
The application process takes a long time. I'm going on 8 months and I just got my BMQ course date 3 weeks ago. Just heal up, make sure you get proper shoes and get ready to wait.

Fire Above
Mar 28, 2010
Shin splints arn't a terribly big deal. They'll start to go away as you get stronger because that's really all it is. Your legs are weak and and unused to that kind of stress, but they'll eventually get better. Unless you gone and got yourself a hairline fracture or something it's nothing to worry about, just keep running.

I had pretty bad shin splints when I went through basic because of ruck marches, but again, once I got stronger and used to it, they went away. You also learn little tricks on how to deal with them like leaving the top two laces of your boots undone, or insoles, or bunch of other stuff you'll figure out. PT in basic is pretty much a joke these days, so as long as you can do push ups and run five klicks you should be fine.

Elgar
Mar 12, 2005
Hey guys, what is going on I don't understand.
Just ice them, stretch out your calfs, massage the muscle and do exercises to strengthen your shins as well. You can keep running, as the pain goes away after the first few hundred metres or so. I had them too at first. They go away if you take care of them properly.

Crane
Jun 10, 2004

:chord:
Also you might want to see a Podiatrist, I had a pronation that was causing shin splints that was helped with a couple of insole inserts in my footwear.
Should help with prevention.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

MA-Horus posted:

OH MY GOD

I think we were on the same loving course. Did you get a shirt at the end that said something among the lines of "KM driven=500, KM Ran=550"

This would have been summer 2003.

And yeah gently caress those cocksucking instructors for log PT, and 3 hours of rack when doing driving training. I fell asleep at the wheel more than once, after my instructor racked the gently caress out too. I think a few of those instructors got charged with reckless endangerment afterwards.

gently caress yeah, it was Summer 2003 I think and shirt. One of the guys got a large Canadian flag tattoo on his left arm I think. Remember when they had us do all those different types of push ups? And the one where they misjudged the steepness/angle of this hill we were going to go down and they radiod "Don't follow us..", because it looked like they were about to fall on their side? They also cracked the diesel tank causing it to leak on that one I think.

Which useless guy were you? I was one of the guys with a bad knee that couldn't run, the vibrations and jolts from the vehicles always made it really hard for me to walk afterwards for some reason.

I don't remember anyone falling asleep behind the wheel though or instructors charged with reckless endangerment, but that could just be a faulty memory.

Vadoc fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Apr 29, 2010

Fraser CDN
May 16, 2009
MORON

surivdaoreht posted:

Did any of you have any shin splint issues while at basic? Seems like the environment could be perfect for developing them.

I had shin splints in basic. I used Rice ( Rest, Ice, Compress, Elevate.) Eat bananas. I also put rub A535 on my shins, not sure if this helped.

ThalidomEid
May 10, 2007
forum name = gamertag
Crane, regarding your half-submerged Leo with the underwater driver hatch on the previous page, what exactly happened to the driver? I'd really like to hear how he escaped...

Crane
Jun 10, 2004

:chord:

ThalidomEid posted:

Crane, regarding your half-submerged Leo with the underwater driver hatch on the previous page, what exactly happened to the driver? I'd really like to hear how he escaped...
I should've asked him, I assumed he was driving around with the hatch open but I'll send him a message.
It might be awhile though he might not be availible for a little bit.
When he showed me that picture we mostly talked about how much money it'll cost to take a blowdryer and dry everything out inside, then we got drunk and argued about how many seats were on a Ka-50.

He got out of armour and is now EOD
Now that he's EOD he tells me of all the bombs they keep finding in New Brunswick. Some farmer turned up a WWII 250lb bomb or something that fell off a plane. They couldn't tell if it was regular or HE until they blew it up.
It was HE.

And a cache of still active cannonballs at Kings Landing.
I guess EOD gets called out for all sorts of explosives (including unburnt aircraft flares) scattered around EVERYWHERE.

Crane fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Apr 30, 2010

Drama Llama
Mar 27, 2009

"I hope you can take one alive sheriff, it would be a boom to science..."
So the military lost my T4 slip. No problem, it's just an electronic document that I can get from the clerks right? Nope, too easy.

It has to be printed in Ottawa, then mailed here. Can't even be faxed. My C.O.C. requested a reprint on the 5th of April, and it hasn't come in yet. Not like taxes are due today or anything. :psyduck:

Elgar
Mar 12, 2005

Drama Llama posted:

So the military lost my T4 slip. No problem, it's just an electronic document that I can get from the clerks right? Nope, too easy.

It has to be printed in Ottawa, then mailed here. Can't even be faxed. My C.O.C. requested a reprint on the 5th of April, and it hasn't come in yet. Not like taxes are due today or anything. :psyduck:

you can file taxes a few years they were 'due' so it's not that big a deal. Unless I'm totally off my rocker.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat

Elgar posted:

you can file taxes a few years they were 'due' so it's not that big a deal. Unless I'm totally off my rocker.

You can file anytime, but if you owe and you don't file before midnight tonight you get dinged with an automatic penalty. However not getting your T4 could be a good excuse assuming you have proof that it's not your fault.

Canadian Revenue Agency posted:

If you owe tax for 2009 and do not file your return for 2009 on time, we will charge you a late-filing penalty. The penalty is 5% of your 2009 balance owing, plus 1% of your balance owing for each full month that your return is late, to a maximum of 12 months.

If we charged a late-filing penalty on your return for 2006, 2007, or 2008 your late-filing penalty for 2009 may be 10% of your 2009 balance owing, plus 2% of your 2009 balance owing for each full month that your return is late, to a maximum of 20 months.

If you file your return late because of circumstances beyond your control, we may waive or cancel the late-filing penalty we have charged you. If this happens, complete Form RC4288, Request for Taxpayer Relief, and mail it to us. Only requests relating to tax years ending in any of the 10 calendar years before the year you make the request will be considered. For example, a request made in 2010 must relate to the 2000 or a subsequent tax year to be considered. For more information, see Taxpayer relief provisions program.

Commander Jebus
Sep 9, 2001

You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought...

Unless you've been posted and moved from a low tax to a high tax province this year or you run a business/work on the side you shouldn't owe money anyway.

'Course if you are posted from BC to NS late in the year and then get bumped up a tax bracket by all those Brookfield (formerly Royal Lepage Relocation) "benefits" (they count for tax purposes as income... untaxed income) then you end up owing a ton of money.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

Lt. Jebus posted:

Unless you've been posted and moved from a low tax to a high tax province this year or you run a business/work on the side you shouldn't owe money anyway.

'Course if you are posted from BC to NS late in the year and then get bumped up a tax bracket by all those Brookfield (formerly Royal Lepage Relocation) "benefits" (they count for tax purposes as income... untaxed income) then you end up owing a ton of money.

This year I went from QC to NB to MB and I owe about 500 bucks, its retarded

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.
Alright, lets give a big round of applause for the MIR. October of last year I went in because my finger was all hosed, I got an x-ray and the military doctor said it was just a sprain. Last thursday I went in to get it looked at again because the swelling hasn't gone down. The civilian doctor said he saw scar tissue and possibly a former fracture. Canadian Forces doctors, becoming complacent due to poo poo-pumps

Elgar
Mar 12, 2005

My Spirit Otter posted:

Alright, lets give a big round of applause for the MIR. October of last year I went in because my finger was all hosed, I got an x-ray and the military doctor said it was just a sprain. Last thursday I went in to get it looked at again because the swelling hasn't gone down. The civilian doctor said he saw scar tissue and possibly a former fracture. Canadian Forces doctors, becoming complacent due to poo poo-pumps

MIR commandos woooo. Screwing everyone else over in every way possible.

Attire Irony
May 5, 2009
So, I'm hearing that once infantry opened up in April, it got full and is now again closed until April.
Can anyone confirm/deny/suggest somewhere to check so I can have this info as it develops?

Elgar
Mar 12, 2005

Attire Irony posted:

So, I'm hearing that once infantry opened up in April, it got full and is now again closed until April.
Can anyone confirm/deny/suggest somewhere to check so I can have this info as it develops?

Yeah infantry is closed. Are you trying to join?

hellraiser13
Jun 16, 2009
Complete newb here..

I'm very interested in joining the army, and I was wondering if Its something that would be like a full time job for many years to come. I'm 27 years old, in Ontario Canada.I'm interested in the infantry.

Aculard
Oct 15, 2007

by Ozmaugh

My Spirit Otter posted:

I was bleeding out my rear end when I was in WFT before christmas, and when I got back from the break I was almost on the floor crying because it was so bad. I begged them to take me to the hospital, like, 3 loving days in a row and they didn't.

VR'd and left on Feb. 15th this year. loving sucks because they recorded down that I had panic attacks because of it so I'm never allowed back in because I'm not "fit for duty."

Also I'm not surprised a bunch of WFT dudes are goons. Sup buddies, you better have all lost weight like Williams and McInnis did before Christmas.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

hellraiser13 posted:

Complete newb here..

I'm very interested in joining the army, and I was wondering if Its something that would be like a full time job for many years to come. I'm 27 years old, in Ontario Canada.I'm interested in the infantry.

If you join the regular force it is a full-time job. Probably more of a full-time job than anything else since you'll be "representing Canada" and be expected to act and appear respectable 24/7. You will also be thrown into an rear end in a top hat of a city (good luck working in your hometown unless you're already a base brat) which they really can't pay you enough for sometimes.

If you really have nothing better to do then by all means, join the infantry. You will most likely not see any combat for a very long time, and will to some extent either be an rear end in a top hat no one likes or you will hate your life and your job after about 4-5 years. If you're just looking for a secure, full-time job, I highly suggest looking at other trades. Also the infantry is closed right now so if you're in a hurry to join the military, you're out of luck there (it's for the best anyway).

acumen fucked around with this message at 15:36 on May 9, 2010

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

The only thing I hate more than hippie neo-liberal fascists and anarchists are the hypocrite fat cat suits they grow up to become.
The one thing I've heard about infantry from every CF member I've spoken to is that they are assholes no one like and that they have to do a lot of PT.

Why does everyone hate on infantry so much?

Aculard
Oct 15, 2007

by Ozmaugh

Samu posted:

The one thing I've heard about infantry from every CF member I've spoken to is that they are assholes no one like and that they have to do a lot of PT.

Why does everyone hate on infantry so much?

I think it's just the few bad apples who are so open about wanting to go overseas and shoot dem drat towel heads. A lot of the infantry people at basic training drank and smoke way too much, and when we'd go to montreal we would point out that anyone harassing the pretty girls or puking on the bus were probably infantry (which they were).

On the flip side you will never find people more reliable and upstanding as most of those Infantry dudes/chicks though.

Benedict IX
Apr 3, 2009
Well, since infantry's closed until the military budget increases (ha!), you can always sell your soul to France and join the Legion. They're always looking for cannon fodder valuable soldiers. Plus, you'll get a French citizenship and can spend your retirement drinking, smoking, and complaining about everything.

Elgar
Mar 12, 2005

Aculard posted:

I think it's just the few bad apples who are so open about wanting to go overseas and shoot dem drat towel heads. A lot of the infantry people at basic training drank and smoke way too much, and when we'd go to montreal we would point out that anyone harassing the pretty girls or puking on the bus were probably infantry (which they were).

On the flip side you will never find people more reliable and upstanding as most of those Infantry dudes/chicks though.

Pro tip, those aren't actually infanteers. You're only really in the infantry once you get a regiment.

I hate the same attitude problem that I see with a lot of cadets. They try to be all hooah and bullshit when they haven't even done any training related to the trade. Until you're fully qualified and you have your regiment all you are is a hopeful.

Science
Jun 28, 2006
. . .

Benedict IX posted:

Well, since infantry's closed until the military budget increases (ha!), you can always sell your soul to France and join the Legion. They're always looking for cannon fodder valuable soldiers. Plus, you'll get a French citizenship and can spend your retirement drinking, smoking, and complaining about everything.

Not a credible source, but there's talk on the internets that with the world falling apart economically, the Legion is getting too many recruits and is being ridiculously picky.

Honestly your best chance might be to go back to school and pick up a trade.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"
Speaking as someone inside the training system (still) as an infantry officer, unless you have your heart set on the trade, you're probably going to have an easier time of getting accepted into one of the other combat arms (armoured, artillery, or combat eng). Sure, the camaraderie is great, but they really do work you a lot harder than the other trades, and (as I've been told) while you're in the training system you are a second class citizen, even compared to the friends that you went through basic with.

Keep in mind, that as a Canadian, you're perfectly able to sign on with any other commonwealth armed forces - brit, aussie, kiwi - and those may offer you a better opportunity to actually get trained and deployed within a reasonable time frame.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Really? Any Commonwealth force? That's weird, but kinda cool. Is there a webpage or something somewhere that says that?

Orange Someone
Aug 20, 2007
Hmmm

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Really? Any Commonwealth force? That's weird, but kinda cool. Is there a webpage or something somewhere that says that?

I've never come across an overall website, but I definitely remember seeing something along those lines on the Royal Navy website when I was cramming my Naval Knowledge. You'd probably have to check the specific websites of the forces you were looking at. For instance, here's the Army (sorry, British Army, although that sounds so drat wrong, it's always just The Army) website pertaining http://www.army.mod.uk/join/15373.aspx. Quickly looking at that, it looks like you'd need to have spent years in Britain recently.

But it's definitely common, there's always a Royal Australian Navy or Royal New Zealand Navy recruitment ad in the back of the Navy News.

Oh, and 4 minutes googling found this on the Aussie defence force citizenship requirements.

*edit* Oh, and looking at that Army website, notice it shows that Irish citizens (of the Republic of Ireland, the bigger part at the botton) can join the UK forces? Historical quirk. They're allowed to join without any problems, just as if they were a British Citizen. We (the UK Armed Forces) are simply not allowed to actively recruit over there.

Orange Someone fucked around with this message at 22:26 on May 10, 2010

Commander Jebus
Sep 9, 2001

You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought...

I suppose that's when you know you really want to shoot people when you'd sign up with a foreign countries' military just to do it. That said, the RAN headhunts Canadian Naval Officers (Submariners extra hard), and some of the benefits are appealing. I'd don't think I'd ever actually leave though. Feels too mercenary.

I wish I could bottle whatever it is about the Infantry that makes it so appealing to 18-28 year old Joe-on-the-street (Kicking down doors? The High speed haircuts? Plenty of other trades get to carry weapons...) and spread it around to other trades that desperately need people. Like any type of Tech trade. Or anything Hard-Sea for that matter.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
From what I've seen most of the people who join the infantry do so not for a job but for combat, be it to see what they were made of, to shoot people, or to experience things they've seen, read, and heard about for a long time since it's so glorified.

Don't take this the wrong way but most people don't want to "join the army" to sit behind a desk or to be a mechanic.

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

acumen posted:

From what I've seen most of the people who join the infantry do so not for a job but for combat, be it to see what they were made of, to shoot people, or to experience things they've seen, read, and heard about for a long time since it's so glorified.

Don't take this the wrong way but most people don't want to "join the army" to sit behind a desk or to be a mechanic.

Yeah I'll admit I'm probably a bit guilty of this myself. I was in university and I dropped out after first semester because I was realizing I didn't want to go to school for four years, keep smoking pot, drinking, and being useless only to wind up in some boring job somewhere and then do that for the rest of my life. I joined the military because I believe in serving my country and I want to set my life on the right track. I joined Combat Arms because I want to do something exciting. I'm not looking to learn a civilian trade and I plan on going back to school after my enlistment is up, but right now I'm young and I want what the military is offering.

I'm definitely being a bit idealistic and I know that being in the army isn't going to be all Rambo all the time, hell there's no real glamour in it, but where else do they pay you to (occasionally) fire automatic weapons, disarm mines, learn to build stuff and exercise. If I joined the army and wound up sitting behind a desk I'd shoot myself, because I'm not looking for a career. I might decide to stay in after my enlistment, but hell, I haven't even gone to basic yet. Could turn out that I can't take the garrison bullshit and I spend the next 4 years hating life.

Attire Irony
May 5, 2009
I'm definitely in a similar boat - I'm wrapping up a degree in advertising but not really in love with the field.
I've always been a bit too smart for my own good, but never as much a man of action as I'd like. For me infantry is essentially a test of mettle, to see if (or how proficiently) I can take on the PT and physical abilities.
out of my entire graduating advertising class, I think maybe three of us (from 50) could pass the BMQ physical entry reqs. Regardless of how smart I am, I'd feel like I'm wasting literally half my ability by careering in a field that for all intents and purposes is the antithesis of physical activity.

Plus a whole bunch of other reasons, blah blah blah.

Fire Above
Mar 28, 2010
The best part about being in the infantry is coming home from a deployment knowing that I actually did something of value.

Then the wog that lived in air conditioned hardshacks and got fat off Timmy's on the boardwalk gets pinned with the same medal I did.

Ahhh, roto 1, good times, good times.

Fraser CDN
May 16, 2009
MORON
To be infantry you have to be a different kind of person. You have to be able to deal with a lot of bullshit. Usually people joining the infantry are people who are outgoing and have had a life that has been filled with hardships. These people know what its like to e at their breaking point so when they have a chance to have a good time they take advantage of it. They do this by drinking to much, and hitting of the pretty girls.

Simkin posted:

Speaking as someone inside the training system (still) as an infantry officer, unless you have your heart set on the trade, you're probably going to have an easier time of getting accepted into one of the other combat arms (armoured, artillery, or combat eng). Sure, the camaraderie is great, but they really do work you a lot harder than the other trades, and (as I've been told) while you're in the training system you are a second class citizen, even compared to the friends that you went through basic with.

Most people complained about how we didn't have freedoms in basic training. Well while in training as infantry you loose more freedoms then you did in basic. Basic was a vacation compared to battle school. Im not trying to make it seem harder than it is but it does truly make basic look like a summer camp. You loose freedoms like time to eat a meals, your own time( from 10:55- 11 each night was my personal time, AKA time to get stuff ready for tomorrow). Even on the work up course for infantry training ( 6 weeks or so) you are treated as 2nd class. But all this bullshit and training is what makes our country have have one of the best infantry fighting forces in the world (minus our crap gear).

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Drama Llama posted:

So when I applied, I put down MARS as my only trade choice. In my 1 year in so far, I've only met one person with a positive thing to say about the trade. My contract is to 2020. Yay! :suicide:

I am in the process of applying to the CF reg force as a direct entry officer (legal officer). The recruiter has told me that the first contract is for 3-4 years, then the second one is 25 (!) years. What is the significance of the contract? If I decide that the CF isn't for me and I want to go back to a civilian job before my contract is up, what are the consequences if I do that before my contract is up?

So far, the application process has been a lot of bullshit waiting around forever and the recruiters not knowing what is going on. When I first applied in February, I was told there were 4 open positions. I went back in March to provide some missing documentation and was told there were 0 positions. Then in April they called me in for an aptitude test and said there were 5 positions. WTF is going on and am I wasting my time applying?

Aculard
Oct 15, 2007

by Ozmaugh

Mantle posted:

I am in the process of applying to the CF reg force as a direct entry officer (legal officer). The recruiter has told me that the first contract is for 3-4 years, then the second one is 25 (!) years. What is the significance of the contract? If I decide that the CF isn't for me and I want to go back to a civilian job before my contract is up, what are the consequences if I do that before my contract is up?

From what I was told, they can release you within in the first contract for not being fit to duty, being a piece of poo poo, etc. When you get your 25 year contract, barring you doing something pretty horrible you're pretty much military for life.

For instance if you're super sick, I believe they can force you out like they did to me in basic. If you're in your 25 year contract they can't - They put you on a medical category and into surgery etc. My dad had to have 2 knee surgeries due to working in tanks and Lasik eye surgery etc. And I think they let him take the time off to stay at home and all that jazz. They still paid him as well (from my knowledge).

Pretty much the first contract, from my understanding, is the probation period while the 25 year one is being the full employee.

Quickedit: Also remember that when you apply, there might be people in basic going for that job but fail, etc. I know ATIS was crying for people so every platoon had at least one or two of the bastards while there was maybe 2-3 in all of the base I knew of that were in LCIS.

Elgar
Mar 12, 2005
Unless I'm mistaken that contract is just a guarantee of employment and you can release at any time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

Elgar posted:

Unless I'm mistaken that contract is just a guarantee of employment and you can release at any time.

Yeah I'm almost positive thats exactly what it is.