Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Papaya
Apr 4, 2005

I'm a creepy furry who feels entitled to other people's babies, but only if they are white. Yiff!

Alterian posted:

This totally came out of the blue.

now you will get pregnant for sure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pata Pata Pata Pon
Jun 20, 2007

Well, put me in the "Everyone else around me is getting pregnant except me" crowd. Found out over the weekend that my oldest sister-in-law accidentally got pregnant, and she's four and a half months along now (!). She's been working two jobs and trying to finish college and last I knew, her boyfriend was unemployed, so I guess they've been freaking out. I feel bad for her situation, but a jealous spark flared up in me anyway.

Then I walked in to work today and discovered that a co-worker is also pregnant.

It's been 8 months since I had my IUD removed and now I'm scared that I really did screw up everything down there by having one in before I had any kids. But the doctor said it could take up to a year for fertility to return, so I feel like going to get a checkup right now would just be a waste. I've only had 3 periods since then, all wildly different amounts of days between each one, and it's driving me crazy because I don't even know if I'm "late," so I've been blowing through cheap ovulation and pregnancy tests like crazy. I'm taking prenatals. I should probably start tracking my temp again, but I seem to have a crazy wild body temperature that fluctuates day to day for no reason.

I know there's no rush, but it suddenly seems like all these other people are pregnant out of the blue and it got to me more than I thought it would :(.

Roxy Rouge
Oct 27, 2009

Banana Cat posted:

Well, put me in the "Everyone else around me is getting pregnant except me" crowd. Found out over the weekend that my oldest sister-in-law accidentally got pregnant, and she's four and a half months along now (!). She's been working two jobs and trying to finish college and last I knew, her boyfriend was unemployed, so I guess they've been freaking out. I feel bad for her situation, but a jealous spark flared up in me anyway.

Then I walked in to work today and discovered that a co-worker is also pregnant.

It's been 8 months since I had my IUD removed and now I'm scared that I really did screw up everything down there by having one in before I had any kids. But the doctor said it could take up to a year for fertility to return, so I feel like going to get a checkup right now would just be a waste. I've only had 3 periods since then, all wildly different amounts of days between each one, and it's driving me crazy because I don't even know if I'm "late," so I've been blowing through cheap ovulation and pregnancy tests like crazy. I'm taking prenatals. I should probably start tracking my temp again, but I seem to have a crazy wild body temperature that fluctuates day to day for no reason.

I know there's no rush, but it suddenly seems like all these other people are pregnant out of the blue and it got to me more than I thought it would :(.

Oh goodness do I feel this one!! Yeah, when you are trying you note EVERY pregnant woman. If you have been trying long enough you start to get your yardstick out--you see the approx 6 month along woman with a cigarette, a miserable 16 year old who is obviously expecting and unhappy about it. It all seems unfair.

So update on me--round 4 of clomid was unsuccessful. I am taking a break and trying something different. I just went to my first acupuncture appointment. I am a scientist by education and in thought, so this is a bit of a reach for me.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009
I'm 6 weeks pregnant :).

I hated people who told me to stop trying and it would happen, or the worst thing was when they say 'if it doesnt happen theres a reason' because that translated in my head as 'just as well cos you're going to be awful at it'. I don't think theres any mind tricks you can do, even though I decided we wouldnt try that month it was still the thing I thought about most - I just wanted to be able to feel like I had controlled the negative line on the pregnancy test and that had been my choice rather than the ovaries.

Stupid bodies not doing what we want them to do. Good luck to everyone trying, and Alterion, hope things work out for you on the job front.

dishonesty
Sep 11, 2001

There's no place like home.

hookerbot 5000 posted:

I'm 6 weeks pregnant :).

I hated people who told me to stop trying and it would happen, or the worst thing was when they say 'if it doesnt happen theres a reason' because that translated in my head as 'just as well cos you're going to be awful at it'. I don't think theres any mind tricks you can do, even though I decided we wouldnt try that month it was still the thing I thought about most - I just wanted to be able to feel like I had controlled the negative line on the pregnancy test and that had been my choice rather than the ovaries.

Stupid bodies not doing what we want them to do. Good luck to everyone trying, and Alterion, hope things work out for you on the job front.

Congratulations!! I sincerely hope everything goes amazingly well for you. I hope to join you again sometime in the next few months.

oldmanklc
Apr 27, 2010
my wife used the same method as the op. She had a positive pregnancy test within 6 weeks of starting so I guess it worked in our case.

Exelsior
Aug 4, 2007

Banana Cat posted:

I seem to have a crazy wild body temperature that fluctuates day to day for no reason.

Do you take your temperature orally? I used to and my temps were everywhere. I switched to vaginally and BOOM, proper, trackable temps with a clear increase at ovulation. You may breathe through your mouth sometimes at night and not realise it. Its pretty awkward and not as easy and just putting the thermometer in your mouth, but the results are very clear.

Twatty Seahag
Dec 30, 2007
I didn't ovulate this month and just got my period this morning, so I was already in a crappy mood today and my coworkers decided to make it worse. It really isn't a hilarious joke to say "Happy Mother's Day EXCEPT TWATTY SEAHAG LOL" all loving day. After literally the 4th time, I went in the bathroom and cried a little like a big baby. I know it's just a stupid joke that I was taking way too seriously, but still. :(

I made an appointment with my gyn because I have been having spotting 4-6 days before my actual period the last 3 cycles, so in the cycles I DID ovulate my luteal phase is super short. I tried ovulation test strips this month but never got a positive, and out of curiosity took a pregnancy test a couple days ago, but it was negative. In the future I won't be taking pregnancy tests unless I get 18 high temps b/c it was kind of disappointing and definitely a waste of cash.

Pixi
Apr 16, 2001

I am loved.
Can't recommend the dollar store (and sometimes Big Lots) enough for cheap pregnancy and ovulation tests. The internet cheapies never worked for me, but I always got clear results with the dollar store ovulation predictor cassette tests. I saw a bunch at Big Lots yesterday for $.80/each yesterday, too.

dishonesty
Sep 11, 2001

Twatty Seahag posted:

I didn't ovulate this month and just got my period this morning, so I was already in a crappy mood today and my coworkers decided to make it worse. It really isn't a hilarious joke to say "Happy Mother's Day EXCEPT TWATTY SEAHAG LOL" all loving day. After literally the 4th time, I went in the bathroom and cried a little like a big baby. I know it's just a stupid joke that I was taking way too seriously, but still. :(

Holy poo poo, that's loving awful. Screw them for being such pricks.

Baxter Jones
Nov 20, 2005
Don't ask me. I'm just in town for the carnival.

Longpig posted:

I'm not sure how that would cause recurrent pregnancy loss...? Any medical types want to clue me in? I guess they are also going to measure some hormones at the same time. Fun fun! At least I'll get it over with and it won't delay my seeing the doctor after the final tests on day 21.

Lurker here urging you to run, don't walk, to an endocrinologist or a reproductive endocrinologist. I have PCOS and had recurrent pregnancy loss (3 early miscarriages) and wasted three years working with my OB/GYN. Went to an endocrinologist and started metformin along with some other vitamin supplements and my next IVF attempt worked. I now have three-month-old twins.

Anyway, the way my dr explained it to me is that until your body is in balance hormonally, it will reject any pregnancies. So the egg will be fertilized but it won't implant properly. It's a defense mechanism to prevent your fetus from being exposed to the wrong kind of hormones (most PCOS patients also have high testosterone and DHEA, which is probably what they are testing you for now, along with your LH/FSH ratio). This site explains what they are testing for, and what it means. Good luck!

Roxy Rouge
Oct 27, 2009

Pixi posted:

Can't recommend the dollar store (and sometimes Big Lots) enough for cheap pregnancy and ovulation tests. The internet cheapies never worked for me, but I always got clear results with the dollar store ovulation predictor cassette tests. I saw a bunch at Big Lots yesterday for $.80/each yesterday, too.

Seconding the dollar store and big lots for cheap tests. I used to think that these tests were less sensitive and therefore cheaper, but after some (ok-alot) of research the tests are at least as sensitive if not more than the drugstore tests. You can check out sensitivity of pregnancy tests at peeonastick dot com. Ovulation tests are a little more uniform from what I have read so as long as the tests are in date they all work about the same.

Good luck to all you ladies and congrats to hookerbot!

Ma_NiC
Mar 6, 2004

Twatty Seahag posted:

That's seriously lovely of them to say to you, especially if they know you're trying to get pregnant. That's rear end. I would have been upset too.

Noirex
May 30, 2006

Twatty Seahag posted:

Wow, what a bunch of childish pricks you work with. It's not a stupid joke to taunt someone like that....it's just plain cruel. If I were you, I would have also lost it at such terrible insensitivity.

Edit: I ovulated really late for April ...like around the 3rd of this month wtf. That never happens. Oh well...we had sex for the few days so we'll see if we get lucky this time.

Noirex fucked around with this message at 14:06 on May 8, 2010

Longpig
Nov 23, 2004

Baxter Jones posted:

Lurker here urging you to run, don't walk, to an endocrinologist or a reproductive endocrinologist. I have PCOS and had recurrent pregnancy loss (3 early miscarriages) and wasted three years working with my OB/GYN. Went to an endocrinologist and started metformin along with some other vitamin supplements and my next IVF attempt worked. I now have three-month-old twins.

Anyway, the way my dr explained it to me is that until your body is in balance hormonally, it will reject any pregnancies. So the egg will be fertilized but it won't implant properly. It's a defense mechanism to prevent your fetus from being exposed to the wrong kind of hormones (most PCOS patients also have high testosterone and DHEA, which is probably what they are testing you for now, along with your LH/FSH ratio). This site explains what they are testing for, and what it means. Good luck!

Yeah, they are testing me for everything on that list. That 2 hour fasting blood test with the nasty orange drink was the worst. :( I am going to wait to see whether I actually have the 'S' part of PCO though - it is possible, as I understand it, to have polycystic ovaries without them kicking out all the hormones. I lost my first pregnancy at about 10 weeks, but the others were all at about 6 so who knows. I am going to finish this round of tests on Monday, and then should be hearing from the doctor soon after that... If I don't get any answers there I will certainly think about a referral to a RE. Thanks for the advice!

porkypocky
Feb 11, 2009
Hey ladies,

This is a not-so-happy post in an happy thread--if you want the whole story it's in the birth control megathread, but since there are actual pregnant ladies posting I think my question is better answered here.

The lady at the clinic used the little calendar thing to count how many weeks from my last period, but I'm fairly certain of the date of conception(plus I had implantation bleeding/pain 5-6 days after that date and it lasted two weeks). Am I supposed to go from the date of my last period or the date of conception to measure how far along I am? Using the calendar I'm 7.4 weeks, counting from the date of conception it's more like 5.

Also, am I considered really early? I have reactions ranging from "meh, you're all right" to "OMG that's, like, almost two months already!!" :what:

dishonesty
Sep 11, 2001

porkypocky posted:

Hey ladies,

This is a not-so-happy post in an happy thread--if you want the whole story it's in the birth control megathread, but since there are actual pregnant ladies posting I think my question is better answered here.

The lady at the clinic used the little calendar thing to count how many weeks from my last period, but I'm fairly certain of the date of conception(plus I had implantation bleeding/pain 5-6 days after that date and it lasted two weeks). Am I supposed to go from the date of my last period or the date of conception to measure how far along I am? Using the calendar I'm 7.4 weeks, counting from the date of conception it's more like 5.

Also, am I considered really early? I have reactions ranging from "meh, you're all right" to "OMG that's, like, almost two months already!!" :what:

It's counted from the date of your last period. If you didn't ovulate square in the middle then your dates could be off a little bit when it comes time to give birth, but that's why you have a few weeks leeway after you're considered "full term."

So if your last period was 7 weeks 4 days ago, then you're 7 weeks 4 days pregnant, congrats :)

Azulita
Dec 9, 2006

by Lowtax
Longpig - they are having you do a glucose tolerance test (GTT). It's done because PCOS and insulin resistance go hand in hand. I took metformin, an oral diabetes drug, to get pregnant the first time. Then in a fun twist, Type 1 diabetes came out of hiding, but that's just my luck.

If your blood glucose are out of whack it can lead to infertility and pregnancy loss, but once you get your numbers under control things will go better pretty quickly.

Fun update:

My son Grant Harrison was born last Saturday May 1 at 3:31 PM. He was 6 pounds 4 oz and 19 inches long. He had a rough start and has spent the last week in the NICU, but I am happy to report that he will be home very soon. Basically he just spontaneously started getting better, which the doctors say is quite a miracle. The NICU nurses all fight over who gets to be his primary for the day because he is a cute happy baby who only needs assistance with feeds.

For those of you struggling to get pregnant, please know that you can do it. Grant is my first living child, but both of my sons were conceived after a PCOS diagnosis and a few rounds of fertility treatments. I remember how hard it was to see negative home tests month after month, but once you guys get pregnant it will all be a distant memory.

Pata Pata Pata Pon
Jun 20, 2007

Twatty Seahag posted:

lovely co-workers

Chiming in with everyone else to say this is terrible. Right now I have a little trouble just talking to my newly pregnant co-worker; if anyone pulled "Happy Mothers Day HURR" poo poo like that on me, I'd be crying in the bathroom too :(.

Exelsior posted:

Do you take your temperature orally? I used to and my temps were everywhere. I switched to vaginally and BOOM, proper, trackable temps with a clear increase at ovulation. You may breathe through your mouth sometimes at night and not realise it. Its pretty awkward and not as easy and just putting the thermometer in your mouth, but the results are very clear.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I breathe through my mouth because I often wake up with a stuffy nose due to allergies and my husband says I snore a lot. Never thought about it affecting my temperature--once I actually get my period again, whenever it decides to show up :argh:, I'll start a new charting cycle of everything. The current lack of regular cycles and not being able to do anything about them at the moment I think is more frustrating than anything else.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

You can also chart by holding the thermometer in your arm pit. I think you have to hold it there longer. I would set my alarm for 15 minutes before I wanted to get up and just doze for 15 minutes with it under my arm.

fishandcandy
Jul 10, 2006

porkypocky posted:

Hey ladies,

If you count from your date of conception, you add two weeks.

Twatty Seahag
Dec 30, 2007
Soooo...feeling like a total idiot right about now but excited, because:

Click here for the full 650x488 image.

I felt really strange Thursday night/Friday morning and used one of the free pregnancy tests that came with my ovulation strips; there was a really faint line but I thought it was nothing; later in the day I had spotting that I thought was my period starting but I never got any bright red bleeding.

The above test was taken with my second pee on Saturday morning. I resisted all urges to go out and buy every test that Walgreen's carries. I'm going to call the doctor tomorrow and hopefully get in soon before the suspense kills me. My boobs hurt yesterday, but today they just feel fuller. I've been nauseous off and on all day and hoping it's not psychosomatic, and some very light, brownish spotting with occasional mild cramping. False positives are rare, right? :ohdear:

Randomity
Feb 25, 2007

Careful what you wish,
You may regret it!

Twatty Seahag posted:

Click here for the full 650x488 image.

I felt really strange Thursday night/Friday morning and used one of the free pregnancy tests that came with my ovulation strips; there was a really faint line but I thought it was nothing; later in the day I had spotting that I thought was my period starting but I never got any bright red bleeding.

The above test was taken with my second pee on Saturday morning. I resisted all urges to go out and buy every test that Walgreen's carries. I'm going to call the doctor tomorrow and hopefully get in soon before the suspense kills me. My boobs hurt yesterday, but today they just feel fuller. I've been nauseous off and on all day and hoping it's not psychosomatic, and some very light, brownish spotting with occasional mild cramping. False positives are rare, right? :ohdear:

Happy Mother's day. :)

edit: False positives are extremely rare. That's a dark line, there's no mistake. You're pregnant!
Those were my exact symptoms at the beginning and now I'm at 18 weeks. :)

Randomity fucked around with this message at 01:33 on May 10, 2010

Ma_NiC
Mar 6, 2004

Twatty Seahag posted:

My boobs hurt yesterday, but today they just feel fuller. I've been nauseous off and on all day and hoping it's not psychosomatic, and some very light, brownish spotting with occasional mild cramping. False positives are rare, right? :ohdear:

That sounds about like my early symptoms. I actually had nausea a few days before I tested positive, though it went away until about week 7. My boobs weren't constantly sore, either. They were intermittently sore, but always felt fuller. I also had some cramping near the beginning too, but no bleeding. I think it's just the uterus going "wtf" and trying to stretch out a little to accommodate the little thing growing in there :)

Congratulations!

Twatty Seahag
Dec 30, 2007
Thanks guys, I'm really excited. :3: I'm trying not to freak myself out by googling all the terrifying things that could happen!

Noirex
May 30, 2006

Yay congratulations Twatty Seahag!

Happy Mother's Day to you :)

porkypocky
Feb 11, 2009
Yay, great timing for Mother's day!

My nausea wasn't a full-out :barf: so I didn't suspect pregnancy at first until it persisted for a few weeks. I thought it was heartburn and acid reflux. YMMV?

qentiox
Nov 8, 2005

I like dragons.

Twatty Seahag posted:

Thanks guys, I'm really excited. :3: I'm trying not to freak myself out by googling all the terrifying things that could happen!

Yay! I'm extra excited for you after your lovely coworkers were being lovely. Think good thoughts!Like ARTAAAAX! said, false positives are really really rare, and that's a really dark line. I never got a line that dark with any of my 3 pregnancies. Congrats!

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist
Awesome news Twatty Seahag! I remember chatting with you on IRC last year when I first discovered I was pregnant, and now look where you are. :3: Congrats!

Pata Pata Pata Pon
Jun 20, 2007

Hooray, Twatty Seahag! Take that, crappy co-workers! :)

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B
Like the others have said, Twatty Seahag, false positives are very rare, and especially with lines that dark! My first positive test was a lot lighter, and now I'm 27 weeks :) Congrats!

Twatty Seahag
Dec 30, 2007
Thanks again everyone. I called my gyn this morning and the triage nurse told me it was way too early to come in for a blood test since my last period started 4/13. :sigh: They said Friday at earliest. I apparently have some misconceptions about how all this works! I figured a positive test meant I could get this ball rollin'.

Lannie
Nov 21, 2005

snookie snookeie snnnokeid

Twatty Seahag posted:

Thanks again everyone. I called my gyn this morning and the triage nurse told me it was way too early to come in for a blood test since my last period started 4/13. :sigh: They said Friday at earliest. I apparently have some misconceptions about how all this works! I figured a positive test meant I could get this ball rollin'.

Congrats! Made me really happy to hear after what your lovely coworkers did.

My guess is that the bleeding you had was either implantation bleeding or misc bleeding. Your test line is really dark. Much darker than a "pre-period" test. Mine didn't get that dark until I was 5 - 6 weeks along (3 - 4 weeks gestation). I'd call them back to have them do a quantitative HCG test to find out your levels, and/or an ultrasound for dating.

Papaya
Apr 4, 2005

I'm a creepy furry who feels entitled to other people's babies, but only if they are white. Yiff!
Wow, so much sooner than I thought my husband had me call to set up an appt with the fertility center to get the ball rolling on our donor situation. He still wants to wait to start using the donor sperm until January, but that's 7 months for me to whittle him down to sooner (if all systems go, based on the tests we'll be running).

It will be nice to actually be "trying" with viable sperm.

MurderCity
Dec 18, 2005
Can 15 years of imaginary training be put to use?
Yay! I'm pregnant! Once again it happened as soon as we decided to "stop preventing". I took a test the day before I was due for my period, and it was negative, but I couldn't help myself and took one two days later and it was positive! I am freaking out right now and also trying not to google the billions of things that can go wrong. I still can't believe it.
I've decided to not run and tell everyone like I did last time. I'm sure things will go okay, but I realized that the whole thing is very stressful as it is, and having the entire family asking questions and prodding and commenting is not helpful at all. I'm gonna wait until I am feeling more mentally "settled". So I'm telling the internets! Hooray for future goonbabies! (and thanks again to those offering advice in this thread, worked for me!) :holy:

kuroneko107
Apr 24, 2008
Bumping the thread up :)

Does anyone have an experience with hypothyroidism and trying to get pregnant? We've only been trying for a few months (and not doing anything special with it) but my cycles are kinda outta whack right now and upon doing some reading it looks like it may be harder for me to get pregnant this time around :/ With my son, I had hyperthyroidism and have since had radiation to have my thyroid killed.

I guess I'm just wondering if anyone had any experience with this because I have no idea if i should bring my concerns up to my regular gyno, or see a reproductive endocrinologist or what. My regular endo doesn't know poo poo about pregnancy so he's useless to ask as well. Advice? I'm totally kinda lost

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

kuroneko107 posted:

Does anyone have an experience with hypothyroidism and trying to get pregnant? We've only been trying for a few months (and not doing anything special with it) but my cycles are kinda outta whack right now and upon doing some reading it looks like it may be harder for me to get pregnant this time around :/ With my son, I had hyperthyroidism and have since had radiation to have my thyroid killed.

I guess I'm just wondering if anyone had any experience with this because I have no idea if i should bring my concerns up to my regular gyno, or see a reproductive endocrinologist or what. My regular endo doesn't know poo poo about pregnancy so he's useless to ask as well. Advice? I'm totally kinda lost

I'm mild hypothyroid, but I'm trying to fix it naturally since its not super bad, but we were trying for a year and 3 months and I didn't get pregnant. We have to take a break from it since my husband and I both got laid off. It wasn't until the last couple months we really figured out I was hypothyroid and started to treat it so I'm hoping by the time we can try again I'll be healthy. You have to have it under control before you get pregnant cause it can cause problems with your baby.

Moms Stuffing
Jun 2, 2005

the little green one
I'm hypo and on Levothyroxine. I had no issues getting pregnant, other than my normal broken pituitary gland issues. Talk to your doctor once you are pregnant, they may need to monitor you with blood tests during your pregnancy and up your meds as needed. I had blood work done every 6 weeks, and my meds were upped just about every time.

Azulita
Dec 9, 2006

by Lowtax

kuroneko107 posted:

I had some fertility issues and was in an online support group for that, a few girls with hypothyroidism joined, and once they saw REs they seemed to get pregnant fairly quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kuroneko107
Apr 24, 2008

Alterian posted:

I'm mild hypothyroid, but I'm trying to fix it naturally since its not super bad, but we were trying for a year and 3 months and I didn't get pregnant. We have to take a break from it since my husband and I both got laid off. It wasn't until the last couple months we really figured out I was hypothyroid and started to treat it so I'm hoping by the time we can try again I'll be healthy. You have to have it under control before you get pregnant cause it can cause problems with your baby.

Yeah I've had it under control for a while now thankfully, because when I first had my radiation it was awful, I've never felt that bad before.

Moms Stuffing: I'm on levo too, I had to be monitored monthly with Nathan too, so I figured it would be similar. I also had twice weekly nst's and a weekly ultrasound towards the end, did you have any of with the hypothyroidism?

I may end up just seeing my gyno anyways soon, my period has been pretty irregular since the radiation.

• Locked thread