Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KnightLight
Aug 8, 2009

It's not just that Simons is better with it, it always seems like it does massive damage to you whenever an enemy hits but you have to shoot an enemy in the feet so you can catch them in that weird plasma-fountain effect.

I just go with rifles and melee anyway.

KnightLight fucked around with this message at 04:34 on May 1, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Le Sean
Feb 18, 2006
Magazines call me a Rockstar, Girls call me Cockstar
I just shut the door in his face and taunt him, watching him shack his fist at me with predator-vision. Then I throw grenades.

It's funny, I hated it at first, but now that area is probably one of my favorite parts of the game, only because now I treat it like a time trial.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
I got up to simmons for the first time ever last night. I was all amped up for the fight during the dialogue, activated all my Augs from the pause screen, then he one shotted me straight after I unpause.

Kinda anti-climactic.

EDIT: does aggressive defense system work against the plasma rifle?

Amethyst fucked around with this message at 05:18 on May 1, 2010

KnightLight
Aug 8, 2009

Anti-climactic stuff happens a lot. I decided to try and duel Maggie Chow with my nanosword and she one-shotted me... then my attack connected posthumously and she died too. I tried again and struck first... another double-kill. Finally I managed to speed aug my way around her and hit her from the side. It felt more goofy than epic by that time.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I found Maggie Chow's lab, stole the Dragon's Tooth, jumped down from the second floor and hacked her and her maid to death.

Then I threw the bodies down an elevator shaft.

What a shame.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Amethyst posted:

EDIT: does aggressive defense system work against the plasma rifle?

Yes. All heavy weapons and grenades, in fact.

Mathemagician
Aug 21, 2003

tell me some more

Willie Tomg posted:

And darts if I recall. I think biomod might make it not detonate planted grenades though, at least it said that in the changelog

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Willie Tomg posted:

drat, why didn't it repel Simons' plasma bolt? I have it maxed out, and artificial heart.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Amethyst posted:

drat, why didn't it repel Simons' plasma bolt? I have it maxed out, and artificial heart.

I honestly don't know. Are you using a mod? It's my 100% failsafe strategy to surviving both Simons' plasma gun, and Gunther's flamethrower (no way am I letting him go so easy as using his safeword, also I usually need Jaime's biomod instead).

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Willie Tomg posted:

I honestly don't know. Are you using a mod? It's my 100% failsafe strategy to surviving both Simons' plasma gun, and Gunther's flamethrower (no way am I letting him go so easy as using his safeword, also I usually need Jaime's biomod instead).

I'm playing with shifter. Gunther's flame thrower lit me on fire too! I had to run and grab the extinguisher.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
I'm pretty sure my restriction for my next run of Deus Ex is going to be to only use weapons that involve combustion/explosions/burning in some way or another. No melee, bullets or non-flare darts, basically. Should be fun.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?
My current strategy is "gently caress stealth, I am going to gently caress you guys up with this machinegun / these rockets / this sword." It's pretty liberating after getting so used to the game as a stealth shooter to just burst into a room with guns blazing.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Willie Tomg posted:

My strategy is to turn on level 4 regeneration and protection augs and shoot them until they kneel over.

This is also my strategy for almost the entire second half of the game, except instead of protection augs I just use level 4 speed enhancement and run past everything.

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

i'Am also a buetifule redd panda

Since everyone else is linking DX Youtube videos, here's a couple of mine:
Getting Miguel to kill Anna while escaping UNACTO:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-OngtULcSjU
Breaking into the UNACTO armory and stealing Carter's gun:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FeIhgnhVZMs

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
So how exactly do I get shifter to work with a steam copy of the game? I think I've run through vanilla Deus Ex enough times for now.

*edit* Nevermind, I got it. The readme wasn't working at first.

Detroit_Dogg fucked around with this message at 17:38 on May 1, 2010

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Luigi Thirty posted:

I found Maggie Chow's lab, stole the Dragon's Tooth, jumped down from the second floor and hacked her and her maid to death.

Then I threw the bodies down an elevator shaft.

What a shame.

I did the same thing. I stole the sword and THEN strolled into her apartment, ready to negotiate with her. Unfortunately, she wasn't there, even though her maid said she was. I gave myself a tour of the apartment until the maid got snarky, and ended up tazing her, smashing out a window, and attempting to throw her unconscious body onto Jock's patio across the street.

She didn't make it.

Detroit_Dogg posted:

So how exactly do I get shifter to work with a steam copy of the game? I think I've run through vanilla Deus Ex enough times for now.

Go into your steam > steamapps > common > deus ex and drop the files in there. You may have to put some of the files into the system folder from there, as well (I can't remember.) You'll know it's working because there will be a "Shifter V1.7xxx" text in the corner of the screen when the game starts up.

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 17:41 on May 1, 2010

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I gave myself a tour of the apartment until the maid got snarky, and ended up tazing her, smashing out a window, and attempting to throw her unconscious body onto Jock's patio across the street.

I poked around in a benign manner until the maid started shooting at me when I attempted to steal one of Maggie's prize Buddhas using my super strength. I did not appreciate this and beat her into unconsciousness, then stole the Buddha anyway.

Also, I'm pretty sure I know where Jock's apartment is, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to get into it. The door has INF/INF strength and lockpick complexity, and the only window I can find leads into the stairwell :(

e: also, it is possible to steal the Buddha from the temple next to the Luminous Path compound. It's pretty funny hearing one of the monks grumble under his breath or say "many other Buddhas in Hong Kong" as you stagger out with this giant fuckoff statue in your arms. I used it to decorate the Luminous Path compound.

vvv thanks! A quick read of Jock's e-mail and his involvement in the plot makes a lot more sense vvv

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 18:01 on May 1, 2010

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Angry Diplomat posted:

I poked around in a benign manner until the maid started shooting at me when I attempted to steal one of Maggie's prize Buddhas using my super strength. I did not appreciate this and beat her into unconsciousness, then stole the Buddha anyway.

Also, I'm pretty sure I know where Jock's apartment is, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to get into it. The door has INF/INF strength and lockpick complexity, and the only window I can find leads into the stairwell :(

Jump out of Maggie's apartment onto the balcony.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
JC need a dialing wand

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Fag Boy Jim posted:

Jump out of Maggie's apartment onto the balcony.

You can find a key into the apartment in Tracer Tong's base as well.

OMGWTFWALLHACK
Jan 28, 2004

Hated by the internet.

I used to have a mod that turned the flares into TNT sticks so they were actually useful.

Not sure if it was the same mod, but I also had one that made the dart gun have fat darts, short darts, and rage darts. The fat darts would inflate a character until it exploded, the short darts would make them as tall as a rat, and the rage darts would make them attack their team.

Anyone know where I can get these again?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

KillHour posted:

Because he has unlimited ammo and can run full speed with it.
Also, NPC's don't care about being blinded. The Plasma is better in multiplayer.

cool jamal
Mar 27, 2010

by Tiny Fistpump

OMGWTFWALLHACK posted:

I used to have a mod that turned the flares into TNT sticks so they were actually useful.

Not sure if it was the same mod, but I also had one that made the dart gun have fat darts, short darts, and rage darts. The fat darts would inflate a character until it exploded, the short darts would make them as tall as a rat, and the rage darts would make them attack their team.

Anyone know where I can get these again?

thats awesome someone post it

SM64Guy
Apr 1, 2005

The guy that made the dx10 renderer and fixer tool would like people to test an experimental replacement exe that fixes problems at the root http://kentie.net/article/deusexe/index.htm might solve issues for people

Fell
Feb 22, 2007

by Cowcaster
I just finished my second playthrough (first one was back when the game came out). I forgot how good this game still is. I'm almost tempted to start it up again with the shifter mod, but it sucked away so much of my time last week... Good thing I'm almost done with finals I guess.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

SM64Guy posted:

The guy that made the dx10 renderer and fixer tool would like people to test an experimental replacement exe that fixes problems at the root http://kentie.net/article/deusexe/index.htm might solve issues for people

removes acceleration? gently caress yes.

Retro-Future Rodent
Jul 30, 2008

Ranked 9327th out of 9328 players worldwide.
Well the mouse jumps when you open your inventory or the Esc menu, looks like it's remembering how far you've moved it when the menus are closed and teleporting the mouse to that position, but that's just a minor annoyance.

KnightLight
Aug 8, 2009

Well, the skillpoint bug is certainly alive and well in this version.

I'm tempted to get infinite skillpoints and master EVERYTHING... but that would sort of break the game and make it less fun, the same reason I don't use cheat codes.

Le Sean
Feb 18, 2006
Magazines call me a Rockstar, Girls call me Cockstar
I actually like that toward the end, if your inventory is full when getting the canister from Savage, you can keep getting 500 skillpoints each tick--I feel like by that point in the game it's basically time to mount up anyway.

Or is there a different bug?

Fnoigy
Apr 9, 2007

I'm fine. Why do you ask?

Le Sean posted:

I actually like that toward the end, if your inventory is full when getting the canister from Savage, you can keep getting 500 skillpoints each tick--I feel like by that point in the game it's basically time to mount up anyway.

Or is there a different bug?

Yes, at the generator in the bottom floor at Vanderberg, still pretty far along but not TOO far. Be careful, though, the game isn't actually programmed to properly handle all the skills being maxed out. Leave at least one untrained or something.

Vita
Nov 7, 2009
Is it just me or does Striker make the game really hard? I can't face any enemies on Medium without dying in what feels like 3 shots with perfect accuracy and yet it takes me 10 seconds just to get a bead on them.
This is my first playthrough though, so maybe I just suck :shobon:

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
JC punks El Rey

fleshweasel posted:

removes acceleration? gently caress yes.
If you check your mouse drivers you can disable acceleration when it detects the EXE being run. My G9x also switches to blue LEDs to indicate that my vision is augmented :c00l:

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me

KnightLight posted:

I'm tempted to get infinite skillpoints and master EVERYTHING... but that would sort of break the game and make it less fun,

I disagree, master everything makes the game utterly hilarious and thus more fun.

Meep
Oct 7, 2000
I had mouse acceleration turned off everywhere but was still getting it in game and this got rid of it for me: http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/763/CPL_Mouse_Fix.html

That fix isn't XP only either, worked fine for me in Windows 7.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0a1SOLnhQg

Team Fortress never fails to make me laugh

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Has anyone gotten the deus ex editor running in vista? Apparently there is a dll that is incompatible.

Legacyspy
Oct 25, 2008

Amethyst posted:

Has anyone gotten the deus ex editor running in vista? Apparently there is a dll that is incompatible.
Edit
Nm
Oh I I wasn't paying attention and thought you said deus ex

Legacyspy fucked around with this message at 06:31 on May 2, 2010

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Legacyspy posted:

I downloaded from steam and have had no issues with it.

I have it on steam too, but I couldn't find the editor. Where is it?

Fnoigy
Apr 9, 2007

I'm fine. Why do you ask?

Amethyst posted:

Wait, Deus Ex editor? What? There's a Deus Ex editor? :wth:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Fnoigy posted:

Wait, Deus Ex editor? What? There's a Deus Ex editor? :wth:

Like pretty much all games based on the unreal engine, yes. It's in the system folder. DXed.exe, I believe.