Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Whack
Feb 14, 2008
Can anyone recommend me some good Bluegrass bands?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Does anyone have thoughts as to bands like:
HORSE the Band
The Fall of Troy (oh god why are they breaking up T_T)
Protest the Hero
Rise Against

I like punk and metal stylings but I don't like constant screaming/growling. Any recommendations would be much appreciated :P

Dead Pressed
Nov 11, 2009

ChiTownEddie posted:

HORSE the Band
Protest the Hero
Rise Against

I like punk and metal stylings but I don't like constant screaming/growling. Any recommendations would be much appreciated :P

Like these bands, also really like "set your goals" most recent album (This will be the death of us). I'm in class right now, I'll update with more bands later.

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!

emminou posted:

This is practically a month ago and you've already had most of the best suggestions, but in case you're still around, you might also like Annie, Ellie Goulding, Lights, and possibly Dragonette and some Marina and the Diamonds songs?

I've checked these out, too. I really liked La Roux, Ladyhawke, and Florence + The Machine.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Ola Ugh posted:

Could someone recommend me 5-6 essential dancehall albums?

No, because there's like three good dancehall LPs, and no essential ones. It's a singles genre.

That said, the last two are albums:

Sizzla - Reggae Max
King Jammy's Selectors Choice Vol. 1
Gaza vs. Gully (Kartel vs. Mavado mixtape)
Capleton - More Fire
Buju Banton - Inna Heights

Smogger
Dec 18, 2002

Looking for more bands like:

The Bamboos
Destruments
Mighty Imperials

word.

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh
I don't know if this exists, but maybe you metalheads can help me. I really like the musical aspects of death metal, but I hate the harsh vocals. For example, I love Graveworm's cover of Losing My Religion, but the cookie monster and halloween witch singing ruin it for me. I'm looking for bands that sound like Graveworm, Amon Amarth, etc, but with clean vocals like Lacuna Coil, Nightwish, or other more symphonic metal bands.

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded

Smogger posted:

Looking for more bands like:

The Bamboos
Destruments
Mighty Imperials

word.

Guessing you're looking for throwback 45 oriented funk bands. There's actually a lot of them and if you like them you should really just start digging back through the whole funk 45 thing because newer groups are either incorporating the slower trip drumming/fuse elements or abusing the poo poo the out of standard nasty break arrangement. There's lots of comps out there with old Eddie Bo-style drum forward cuts/pass the hatchet/funky corners kind of things, especially if you like rewinding to hear drum breaks.

Newer:
Soul Investigators http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKvmgaE8iYQ
Phenomenal Handclap Band http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AC3Avia3qsM (T&S has a 45 of this as an instrumental that kills. Their album's eehhhh, though.)
KGF http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvemEJGo8Dc
Brownout http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lt6XLo6Y1kU
High Society Brothers http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plmk_CE0Dfw
El Michels Affair http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvBRGNNZ8kM
Budos Band http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ochDOppYEEY
Bronx River Parkway http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fal8BPvUR54
Heliocentrics http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgfA73d4VBs (Probably the closest to Destruments here)

Labels:
Timmion (Soul Investigators, Willie West, the absolutely great Little Ann soul album)
Truth & Soul (Lee Fields & the Expression (everyone needs this, not kidding), Olympians, Bronx River)
Daptone (Errbody associated with Bosco)
Jazzman (the whole Funk45 sub-label is filled with this kind of stuff)

Onime
Feb 17, 2010
I'm sure this has been already asked somewhere, oh well.

I've recently watched Vicky Cristina Barcelona and the music there was just amazing. I got the soundtrack, but I'd love to find more music like that and I'm not even sure what's the genre.

Ola Ugh
May 19, 2005

Sjåre brymæ

HAI posted:

No, because there's like three good dancehall LPs, and no essential ones. It's a singles genre.

That said, the last two are albums:

Sizzla - Reggae Max
King Jammy's Selectors Choice Vol. 1
Gaza vs. Gully (Kartel vs. Mavado mixtape)
Capleton - More Fire
Buju Banton - Inna Heights
Cool, I see. So how do you keep up to date with quality dancehall? From the music charts in Jamaica?

wlokos
Nov 12, 2007

mobn posted:

I don't know if this exists, but maybe you metalheads can help me. I really like the musical aspects of death metal, but I hate the harsh vocals. For example, I love Graveworm's cover of Losing My Religion, but the cookie monster and halloween witch singing ruin it for me. I'm looking for bands that sound like Graveworm, Amon Amarth, etc, but with clean vocals like Lacuna Coil, Nightwish, or other more symphonic metal bands.

I started out this way. Check out Mercenary - Architect of Lies, it has some rough vocals but it's mostly awesome clean vocals and it's a pretty good way to start getting used to a little bit of rough vocals, plus it's just an awesome death/power metal album.

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008

ChiTownEddie posted:

HORSE the Band
Protest the Hero
Rise Against

Alexisonfire, At the Drive-In (get Relationship of Command), Finch, Funeral for a Friend, Glassjaw, He Is Legend (greatest band ever - their three LPs vary in style, but I guarantee you will love at least one of them), Maylene and the Sons of Disaster, Memphis May Fire, The Receiving End of Sirens, Saosin, Thrice...

You will like at least some of these bands :) .

EDIT: Ooh, also Therefore I Am.

Eight Is Legend fucked around with this message at 12:00 on May 2, 2010

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

:wom:
Lipstick Apathy

CharlesWillisMaddox posted:

I've been listening to the first four Ramones albums a lot again.

1. Besides the first four and live albums, what are some other good Ramone studio albums?

2. I want some more old school/70s/"proto" punk. No Ramones or The Stooges please.

Try Richard Hell & The Voidoids, best known for the song Blank Generation. Sounds like a rougher Television mixed with The Stooges.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HMXuL0SShA

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

wlokos posted:

I started out this way. Check out Mercenary - Architect of Lies, it has some rough vocals but it's mostly awesome clean vocals and it's a pretty good way to start getting used to a little bit of rough vocals, plus it's just an awesome death/power metal album.

Thanks. Anything else like this? My big thing with harsh vocals is that I feel like it's just lost potential because the music can be perfect, but it would be just that little bit better if the vocals generated harmony on top of it. I can tolerate a little bit of the growly/screamy stuff (I like Fall of Troy), but stuff that's 100% grunting just doesn't tickle my fancy.

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009

PlasticPaddy posted:

Can anyone recommend me some good Bluegrass bands?

I dunno if you like covers but Iron Horse's Black and Bluegrass (Black Sabbath covers) is great.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Ola Ugh posted:

Cool, I see. So how do you keep up to date with quality dancehall? From the music charts in Jamaica?

By reading Paid in Full's posts in PHIZ's Jamaica thread :)

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"
I'm looking for recommendations to help putting together a themed compilation album about one sided love.

So far I have tracks by Leonard Cohen, Mumford and Sons and Bat for Lashes.

hydrocoptic
Aug 11, 2007

I feel.....good.

Eight Is Legend posted:

Can no one help me with this?

Have you tried The Gourds? Listen to the song "Meat off the Bone" from the album Bolsa de Agua or "First in Line" from Cow, Fish, Fowl, or Pig. Hope this helps.

Iraff
Dec 29, 2008

I really am enjoying the Easy Star All-Stars cover albums (I hope that ESAS aren't reggae for babies :ohdear:) but they have really interested me in the reggae genre.
What's a good place to start, and if possible, what are good ways to stay up to date on new reggae?

Hakive
Nov 5, 2007
Violent Death
Found the band Ogre and fell in love with stoner/doom metal, any recommendations on the genre?

Would like something other than just screaming/gurgling, are there instrumental bands as well?

baberaham lincoln
Nov 19, 2008
The "holy trinity" of stoner are Kyuss, Sleep, and Electric Wizard. However, in terms of vocals, Ogre sounds more like stoner rock than stoner/doom metal. They take a lot from proto-metal. You might like Sir Lord Baltimore, Blue Cheer, Flower Travellin' Band, Frijid Pink, and (of course) Sabbath's Master of Reality. Additionally, you might like Annihilation Time though they are way more punk than metal.

I've got nothing in terms of instrumental bands, but I'm really into stoner / doom lyrics, so I've never actively searched them out.

Bob Shabazz
Oct 21, 2008

At 12:17 a.m. MU police spotted Mauk, 19, run a stop sign while driving his scooter east on Kentucky Boulevard - with two female passengers on board.
I've been getting into jazz fusion, specifically Pat Metheny and Weather Report, and I'm trying to figure out where to go from there. I've been listening to some Chick Corea and I like it, but most other fusion I've found doesn't really sound like Metheny, who is my favorite.

wlokos
Nov 12, 2007

Check out Avishai Cohen - Continuo, it's one of my favorite albums. I'm not sure how close it is to Metheny because it's been a while since I listened to him but it's worth checking out regardless.

MonkeeKong
May 17, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Monster w21 Faces posted:

I'm looking for recommendations to help putting together a themed compilation album about one sided love.

So far I have tracks by Leonard Cohen, Mumford and Sons and Bat for Lashes.

poo poo I thought I would be able to recommend tons of them but this is the only one I can come up with: Codeine - Broken Hearted Wine

DADA SQUAD
Mar 10, 2007

мудак.
hey NMD i have a two-part request

first and most importantly i've got this buddy who's a big spanish civil war history buff and he's been really bummed out lately and so i'm putting together a mix for him with songs about the spanish civil war but the thing is he only really likes punk rock. so far i've got the ex, hosed up, and sin dios. if anybody knows some good songs/albums that'd fit this criteria i'd much appreciate it

part two of this is i really really like the song 'the mending of the gown' by sunset rubdown but most of their other tracks leave me cold, seeing as they aren't as melodic or energetic or just generally as interesting to me. any recommendations for bands would be awesome

thanks

Umbriago
Aug 27, 2004

Tell me which folk/country artists I should listen to if I like Josh Ritter, Neil Young, Bob Dylan, Townes van Zandt, Ramblin Jack Elliott, Woody Guthrie, Fleet Foxes and Chatham County Line. It doesn't have to be acoustic (I like the Felice Brothers, the Avett Brothers and The Band too), just something 'Americana'.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Umbriago posted:

Tell me which folk/country artists I should listen to if I like Josh Ritter, Neil Young, Bob Dylan, Townes van Zandt, Ramblin Jack Elliott, Woody Guthrie, Fleet Foxes and Chatham County Line. It doesn't have to be acoustic (I like the Felice Brothers, the Avett Brothers and The Band too), just something 'Americana'.

I'll quote myself responding to a similar question a while ago:

A Violence Gang posted:

Gram Parsons, with the Flying Burrito Brothers (The Gilded Palace of Sin and Burrito Deluxe), The Byrds (Sweetheart of the Rodeo) and his solo albums.

If you aren't already familiar, start with some of the legends of non-glitzy classic country like Hank Williams Sr., Johnny Cash, Willie Nelson and Billy Joe Shaver. The Grateful Dead recorded two great albums that draw heavily upon Americana, American Beauty and Workingman's Dead. More recently, Gillian Welch, Old Crow Medicine Show and Uncle Tupelo, which broke up and spawned Son Volt and Wilco. Specifically check out the two albums of lost Woody Guthrie songs recorded by Billy Bragg & Wilco, Mermaid Avenue Vols. 1 & 2.

dividebyzero
Jun 26, 2006

by angerbot

I'd forgotten about all about e-40, so thanks for that. Didn't know he could go hard like that.

Can anyone else help me out with industrial metal recommendations? As previously mentioned, I love Bile, N17, Puncture (who no one's heard of), and "like" most Ministry, Genitorturers, Rabbit Junk, most KMFDM, etc.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

Iraff posted:

(I hope that ESAS aren't reggae for babies :ohdear:)

Of course they are. Like, you think Marley is the suburbanite white bro's reggae of choice? Nah, Exodus is deep loving cuts compared to ESAS.

That said, just pick up a few Lee Perry comps (Arkology is a good one if you have the cash money), Heart of the Congos, War Inna Babylon, some Marley (obviously!), Mighty Diamonds, maybe a Pressure Sounds comp if you wanna front, some Sugar Minott, some of Soul Jazz's Studio One comps, Satta Massagana, and so on. I'm forgetting a lot of obvious poo poo probably.

Not sure if there's much point getting into new reggae (assuming you want roots anyway) if you're not well versed in the classics already, but try a couple of Greensleeves' yearly Reggae One-Drop Anthems comps and see what you think.

Iraff
Dec 29, 2008

That was sort of a silly statement in retrospect. I should have known already that ESAS was Baby's First Reggae.

Still, I shelled out for Arkology and I'm digging it. Much obliged

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded
More Nyabinghi sphere recs:
Count Ossie - Tales of Mozambique
Cedric Im Brooks & Light of Saba - S/T
Count Ossie - Grounation (w/ Mystic Revelation of Rastafari)
Dadawah - Peace & Love (Ras Michael)

Count Ossie: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06RgJyvzgak
Dadawah: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LaMHG-vh148
Cedric Im Brooks: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqc9XEDHI-4

All of these have been reissued a couple of times and the new Dadawah reissue I think is the first legit reissue of that.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

That Dadawah LP is loving stunning, like seriously in my top five reggae albums ever. And I guess it would almost sort of make sense as an introductory LP to the genre cos it isn't particularly constrained by the conventions of the genre. The LP Ras Michael did with Perry is loving great too, can't remember the title now but it has "Don't Sell Daddy No More Whiskey" which is a really great example of Black Ark's esoteric sound in roots reggae (much better than Heart of the Congos imo).

Doghouse
Oct 22, 2004

I was playing Harvest Moon 64 with this kid who lived on my street and my cows were not doing well and I got so raged up and frustrated that my eyes welled up with tears and my friend was like are you crying dude. Are you crying because of the cows. I didn't understand the feeding mechanic.
Hi,

I used to be a huge music junkie, but for whatever reason I have not tried listened to almost anything new in the past five years. I am mostly looking for new bands or albums that have come out since then, since I was holding pretty well in the types of music I liked at the time, but if you think there is a band I may have missed, you could recommend that as well.

I used to like harder, angry type rock - Nirvana and Tool were my favorite bands - but I find it very difficult to listen to those types of bands anymore. I really like Bob Dylan, Nick Drake, Kyuss, The Strokes, Matisyahu, Radiohead, The Mars Volta...there are probably a few others, but those stand out. My favorites are probably The Smiths and Interpol.

Any recommendations?

MonkeeKong
May 17, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Doghouse posted:

Hi,

I used to be a huge music junkie, but for whatever reason I have not tried listened to almost anything new in the past five years. I am mostly looking for new bands or albums that have come out since then, since I was holding pretty well in the types of music I liked at the time, but if you think there is a band I may have missed, you could recommend that as well.

I used to like harder, angry type rock - Nirvana and Tool were my favorite bands - but I find it very difficult to listen to those types of bands anymore. I really like Bob Dylan, Nick Drake, Kyuss, The Strokes, Matisyahu, Radiohead, The Mars Volta...there are probably a few others, but those stand out. My favorites are probably The Smiths and Interpol.

Any recommendations?

Well this might easily spiral out to a PYF music from the last five years, but I'll contain myself.

Based on the bands you mentioned (especially The Smiths) I just have this mad feeling that you'll like Okkervil Rivers last two records The Stage Names and The Stand Ins. I'm also recommending them simply because I think they are two of the best records released in the last five years.

And speaking of Okkervil River, their collaboration with Roky Erickson, True Love Cast Out All Evil, which was released about a week ago is loving ace. I'm already putting it on my top 10 of 2010.

Then there's this shamefully underrated and dare I say unknown Scottish band The Zephyrs which has been releasing records since 2000 that far too few have heard.

I hope this post was at least somewhat helpful.

Unmistakeable Fire
Oct 1, 2006
I have been listening to a lot of Pink Floyd lately and I wonder if you guys could help me with a pretty specific recommendation. I like their stuff from Meddle onwards, and would like other bands or artists that sound like those epic David Gilmour solos in songs like Time, Sorrow, High Hopes, Comfortably Numb and Marooned. I don't really have a good specific musical description of what that sound is beyond "wailing electric guitar solo played by David Gilmour".

Jarofmoldymayo
Mar 5, 2008
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLLYt-2SaZ8

I am looking for more like this?

I listen to this album constantly.

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

:siren: SAVE_US.CHR :siren:
Needing suggestions for workout music. Pretty much listen to Killswitch Engage, Tool, Rev Theory, Shinedown, Slayer, ect. Anything along those lines to help my pumps is greatly appreciated.

Dadjacket
Jul 23, 2004

HIPSTER PITCHFORK CARDIGAN SCARF

DADA SQUAD posted:

part two of this is i really really like the song 'the mending of the gown' by sunset rubdown but most of their other tracks leave me cold, seeing as they aren't as melodic or energetic or just generally as interesting to me. any recommendations for bands would be awesome

thanks

Spencer Krug is a rare fuckin bird and probably my favorite songwriter. Sadly, there isn't a lot out there that sounds a lot like him. I'd check out the Frog Eyes record Tears of the Valedictorian though - Krug plays keys on it and he and Carey Mercer (frontman of Frog Eyes) are closely linked.

I love their earlier stuff too but it's nowhere near as melodic as Tears... As for the new album, it's kinda boring.

Octorok
Mar 27, 2007

I need more music like "Let's Go away for Awhile" off of Pet Sounds.

To elaborate, I'm pretty much looking for interesting instrumental music be it classical, post-rock, ambient, or ideally some avante-garde stuff that a mainstream musician made and never got any love.
Only thing I'm partially averse to are most forms of electronica, but I'll still check anyting out.

Stuff like Yann Tierson is great, and I'm also looking for alternate recommendations for similiar artists, but what I'm specifically looking for has much more of a psychedelic pop/instrumental rock vibe.

Lack of vocals are a plus, but not necessary.

Olivia Tremor Control is one of my favorite bands ever, and they would be perfect if their instrumental tracks weren't just experimental transitions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kundalini rinsing
Jun 3, 2007

Octorok posted:

I need more music like "Let's Go away for Awhile" off of Pet Sounds.

To elaborate, I'm pretty much looking for interesting instrumental music be it classical, post-rock, ambient, or ideally some avante-garde stuff that a mainstream musician made and never got any love.
Only thing I'm partially averse to are most forms of electronica, but I'll still check anyting out.

Stuff like Yann Tierson is great, and I'm also looking for alternate recommendations for similiar artists, but what I'm specifically looking for has much more of a psychedelic pop/instrumental rock vibe.

Lack of vocals are a plus, but not necessary.

Olivia Tremor Control is one of my favorite bands ever, and they would be perfect if their instrumental tracks weren't just experimental transitions.

Check out Quiet Village, Mahavishnu Orchestra, Jean Michel Jarre, Harmonia, Ozric Tentacles, Mike Oldfield, Mercury Rev, Philip Glass, Henry Cow and Medeski, Martin & Wood. Other bands I can think of that have a lot of songs like what you've described but also have vocal and/or more uptempo rockin stuff are Procol Harum, Marillion, Porcupine Tree and Tortoise. Also you mentioned that you don't like electronic, but if you change your mind, give Royksopp, Wagon Christ, Atom Heart, The Cinematic Orchestra, Cornelius and Tangerine Dream a try.

kundalini rinsing fucked around with this message at 04:14 on May 7, 2010