Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Nice, and in black to boot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Yeah, I think eventually I'm going to do them in 2 tone blue and black.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Took the ZZR1200 down to the valves today. 2 are on the tight end of the spec, but the shim kit that I have is the wrong size :( Need 2 2.7mm shims, and then I can button it back up. It's also getting a new clutch, because, erm, wheelies.

And I'm gonna clean every fairing with it off the bike, get everything spic and span, and in 2 weeks it'll be gone :)

Most interesting thing about this valve adjustment is that it doesn't require any sort of pulling the cams. They use a cam and rocker design, the rockers are held in place with springs. You just slide the rocker over, magnet the shim out, and blammo, slip in a new shim. Very cool, very simple, easy to adjust.

Although you measure the clearance between the rocker and the shim, which is new to me, but I guess it makes sense when I think about other vehicles with rockers I've worked on.

So...gonna swing by the dealership and pick up the last few parts for that on tuesday :)

Z3n fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Apr 3, 2010

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Finished the valve adjustment on the ZZR, took it to work today, and hey, it was spewing out smoke. I figured that it was just from the cleaner I had sprayed on the valve cover. I should have been tipped off when it didn't smoke and then a huge plume of smoke came up, but I was tired and a dumbass, and didn't think about it. So I rode all the way to work, got to work, and noticed that my bike was dripping oil. :woop:

So I left the key in the ignition, stared at the bike for a bit, and then went in to the office, handily forgetting my key...came out 8 hours later, no key, had the g/f save me by bringing the spare from home, and rode it home, still blowing clouds of smoke. Turns out that a small piece of plastic in front of the engine that directs hot air away from the airbox had gotten jammed under the valve cover. So I fixed that, cleaned off some of the oil, and rode it around.

On the DRZ front, I got my wheels yesterday, and today I mounted up the rear: Straight bolt on, no problem.

On the front, there was a problem...it's a duke 2 rim and it uses a 17mm axle. The DRZ uses a 20mm axle.

So as I stands, I've got 2 options:

Get 20mm bearings, and have custom spacers made to fit the wheel in the forks correctly.
Get a 17mm axle made, and use the stock KTM bearings.

The bearings I need are: 20x40x12 and 20x35x10. Anyone have any idea if these are a standard size? Or a bearing place to call that will have good customer service/be able to handle this situation?

Otherwise, because everything fits so drat well with things just mocked up, I'll probably just get the machine shop to make me a 17mm axle and the appropriate spacers that I'll need to get everything sorted out. If it's not one thing, it's another...:sigh:

On the bright side: Adjustable rims for more traction for the holeshot!

:woop:

Jharkov
Feb 26, 2008

by Ozma
Supermoto here we come.
I just noticed on my RM250 front end i had the fork height set wrong. I rode another guys DRZ400SM and it fell into corners nicely.
No wonder it was refusing to steer, i had them flush with the triples, when they are meant to be like half an inch upward.

Also i have a fork binding issue, where the fork stops on the initial travel and doesnt rebound. Ive ruled out spacers & binding, so it must be an internal issue when i had the forks revalved... so its a trip back to the suspension shop.
All in good fun.

Blaster of Justice
Jan 6, 2007

by angerbot

Z3n posted:

Get 20mm bearings, and have custom spacers made to fit the wheel in the forks correctly.
Get a 17mm axle made, and use the stock KTM bearings.

That would be the sane option.

Wouldn't an ebay'ed KTM axle with new machined fork bushings work?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

That really sucks about your key. If someone stole it intending to make off with the bike, I'm sure the bike would be gone already. Hope someone nice took care of it.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Jharkov posted:

Supermoto here we come.
I just noticed on my RM250 front end i had the fork height set wrong. I rode another guys DRZ400SM and it fell into corners nicely.
No wonder it was refusing to steer, i had them flush with the triples, when they are meant to be like half an inch upward.

Also i have a fork binding issue, where the fork stops on the initial travel and doesnt rebound. Ive ruled out spacers & binding, so it must be an internal issue when i had the forks revalved... so its a trip back to the suspension shop.
All in good fun.

I hate stiction issues more than anything else, they're just a pain in the rear end to deal with.

What's the difference in fork length between the RM and the DRZ forks? I'd probably want ~100mm of trail on my bike just for the sake of things, and then I could fine tune things with rear ride height changes, but that's just how I like to do it...suspension is a completely personal thing.

Blaster of Justice posted:

That would be the sane option.

Wouldn't an ebay'ed KTM axle with new machined fork bushings work?

Which one is the sane option? :haw:

And yes, that's another possibility...I'm going to call some bearing shops today and see if those sizes are standard. I've done some initial google searches but no luck on anything so far...the only ones I can find in that size are thrust bearings which aren't what I need.

Ola posted:

That really sucks about your key. If someone stole it intending to make off with the bike, I'm sure the bike would be gone already. Hope someone nice took care of it.

Yeah, I figure that either I dropped it somehow on the way in, or someone pulled it and turned it in to a lost and found. Either way, I have a spare so I'll just be super careful for the next few days/get a copy made.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

That's with the KTM front rim mocked up. Thanks to laymil, I've got a line on a stepped front axle (25mm shoulder to 17mm shaft), and then I'll just need to get a bushing for the other side (20mm to 17mm) and get the spacers made, and I should be able to have a working sumo setup.

In the mean time, I'm borrowing a friend's stock DRZ400SM rim. It looks a little silly with the stock rotor on there, but beggers can't be choosers ;)

Also put some new Pilot Road 2s on the ZZR last night (had to have the g/f take the rear to the local tire shop to get the bead seated though, front was fine with the gas station compressor), swapped the clutch, and it's pretty much ready to go...need to bleed the brakes, and it really needs rear pads. :sigh:

Just need to put a new chain on the DRZ to fit the 41 tooth rear (down from 46 tooth), and it should be pretty much good to go...

Z3n fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Apr 9, 2010

Blaster of Justice
Jan 6, 2007

by angerbot

Z3n posted:

And yes, that's another possibility...I'm going to call some bearing shops today and see if those sizes are standard. I've done some initial google searches but no luck on anything so far...the only ones I can find in that size are thrust bearings which aren't what I need.

Basically yes, they're "standard", as in: they exist. But why gently caress with the bearings. You can only change wheel bearings a limited amount of times before your tolerances are destroyed. Just get a KTM axle and let a machine shop make you some neat bushings for your fork. Cheaper and much less hassle.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Basically yes, they're "standard", as in: they exist. But why gently caress with the bearings. You can only change wheel bearings a limited amount of times before your tolerances are destroyed. Just get a KTM axle and let a machine shop make you some neat bushings for your fork. Cheaper and much less hassle.

Yeah, that's the plan. Just need to get the measurements done and then I should be set.

I sold the ZZR last night, it went to a friend, dimple butt is now gone. I'll be commuting on the DRZ for awhile until I get the bicycle back up and running, and finally starting in on getting the ZX9R up and running.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Bye bye dimple butt. It was nice being your e-friend. :unsmith:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Ok, so..updates.
Bicycle:
Got the bicycle back up and going. Bought a new bicycle pump, so that I didn't have to keep dealing with my lovely one.
9R:
Rotting, quietly in the corner. Carbs are probably almost clogged again, sigh. I need to get the hardware for the stator so that I can mount it in the side cover again, and then the engine will at least be complete and oil tight again. After that, it needs a new chain, an airbox, left and right side rearset brackets, and some other odds and ends.
DRZ:
Got the axle. Turns out that because they're flattrackers, they typically run a bit down in the axle, so a 17mm axle is actually a 16.8mm axle. Obviously, that's not really acceptable when dealing with a street bike, so they're sending me a new one (apparently 17mm axles are actually 16.96mm). They also messed up the spacers, but they're fixing that too. They were polite and apologetic about the problem, they're cross shipping it so I can have it by friday, so it's all good in my book :) I did a test fit with the axle though, and the rotor fit perfectly with the relocator bracket and motomaster caliper that I have, so I'm super excited about that...come friday I will cut down the spacers, install the front wheel, and then go to the dentist :downs: Riding on sunday, though, and I'm looking forward to that.

Blaster of Justice
Jan 6, 2007

by angerbot

Z3n posted:

come friday I will cut down the spacers, install the front wheel, and then go to the dentist :downs:

You aren't supposed to cut down the spacers with your loving teeth. Amateur. ;)

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

You aren't supposed to cut down the spacers with your loving teeth. Amateur. ;)

My teeth are the most precise instrument I have in the garage. :arghfist::(

Arg I just want it to be here, I can't wait to stoppie my bike into oblivion.

Bunway Airlines
Jan 12, 2008

Raptor Face

Z3n posted:

9R:
Rotting, quietly in the corner. Carbs are probably almost clogged again, sigh. I need to get the hardware for the stator so that I can mount it in the side cover again, and then the engine will at least be complete and oil tight again. After that, it needs a new chain, an airbox, left and right side rearset brackets, and some other odds and ends.

Get that piece out of my garage. It's ugly and stupid :colbert:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Z3n posted:

9R:

I'll give you $100 shipped, dont pass up this deal, or you'll regret it :argh:

^^^^^See, she wants it out too.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123

Phat_Albert posted:

i'll throw in Dinner at a fancy mexican place! i'm only 350 miles away!

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Bunway Airlines posted:

Get that piece out of my garage. It's ugly and stupid :colbert:

:ohdear:

Phat_Albert posted:

Tempting but I just bought a left side rearset bracket for it so that ups the price to at least 125$

infraboy posted:

i'll throw in Dinner at a fancy mexican place! i'm only 350 miles away!

Noms are tempting, but Phat Albert has first dibs. :haw:

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/mcy/1718722712.html

Yo another ZX-6r you can fix up and sell to me for almost no profit, i'll be waiting for it in the fall thanks!

What the hell is wrong with me? I've been riding 6 months/4500 miles so far, i'm already hankering for another bike even though I have 2 right now, nothing logical makes sense for me to have more than that, it's some kind of weird disease I might have. Maybe I have some serious passion for bikes? I'm sure it'd just be a lot of fun to try all different kinds of bikes, they all have some interesting characteristics that you learn to love as you ride them.

Argh some dude no Barf is selling an 03 R6 with 11k miles for like 3100$, it'd be so perfect but NO I CANNOT DO IT. Even if the registration is cheap and insurance would be like another 130$/year argh I cannot, i'm still rational enough not to do it.

I've become a total craiglist addict.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

infraboy posted:

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/mcy/1718722712.html

Yo another ZX-6r you can fix up and sell to me for almost no profit, i'll be waiting for it in the fall thanks!

What the hell is wrong with me? I've been riding 6 months/4500 miles so far, i'm already hankering for another bike even though I have 2 right now, nothing logical makes sense for me to have more than that, it's some kind of weird disease I might have. Maybe I have some serious passion for bikes? I'm sure it'd just be a lot of fun to try all different kinds of bikes, they all have some interesting characteristics that you learn to love as you ride them.

Argh some dude no Barf is selling an 03 R6 with 11k miles for like 3100$, it'd be so perfect but NO I CANNOT DO IT. Even if the registration is cheap and insurance would be like another 130$/year argh I cannot, i'm still rational enough not to do it.

I've become a total craiglist addict.

What's stopping you from rebuilding it yourself? It's not a difficult job in that condition...everything's already mostly put together, it just needs some fairings and odds and ends. Go talk him down to 1500$ and you'll get a better deal on it than I did on mine. Clean title, too. If you wanted to go the lazy way you could have it back up and running for 1500$, in exact oem trim (Ebay a full set of stock fairings for ~1000$, headlight for ~200$, rear wheel for 200$, and ram air, rearset for 50$ each). Maybe clean up the engine covers or something. 3k into an 05 ZX6R with a few thousand miles on it isn't bad. I'm not sure if that model has the immoblizer in the gauges...I'd check that he has them. Although if he's ridden it, it's probably good.

And yeah, I love riding whatever I can get my hands on. That's not a great deal on that R6, honestly.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 17:20 on May 1, 2010

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
Hmm an interesting idea, never thought about that, it'd be a good way to learn how to tear down a bike without an urgent need to ride it right away so I could take my time. And my dad has a truck! But I don't have any ramps to load her up.

Yeah it seems R6s of any year used are more expensive than usual, even the older carbed ones.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

infraboy posted:

Hmm an interesting idea, never thought about that, it'd be a good way to learn how to tear down a bike without an urgent need to ride it right away so I could take my time. And my dad has a truck! But I don't have any ramps to load her up.

Yeah it seems R6s of any year used are more expensive than usual, even the older carbed ones.

I've been using the same 50$ harbor frieght ramps for ages. You get 2, they are heavy, but they're ramps and they do the job. This is a good project, IMO. It runs, it's relatively cheap, it's already been checked for straightness by computrak, it really doesn't get much better. The zx636rs are drat good bikes anyways. You could bodge it together with 200$ in parts and have a runner. Clean title, too.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

infraboy posted:

What the hell is wrong with me? I've been riding 6 months/4500 miles so far, i'm already hankering for another bike even though I have 2 right now, nothing logical makes sense for me to have more than that, it's some kind of weird disease I might have.

Don't worry more bikes is a good thing. I've been riding for around 8 months and have 4 bikes. Currently looking to pick up a track bike and trials bike to add to the group.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Alright, sorry if the pictures are a bit scattered, I'm poo poo at taking pics when I'm working on stuff.

So yesterday I cruised by TarzansPuma's place, borrowed his dirt bike stand, and got to lubing the rear suspension linkages on me and the g/f's DRZ:

After swearing and getting the DRZ on the stand:

Stripped the plastics to check the upper shock mounts, got the rear wheel out:

Pulled the suspension linkage, bungie cord to hold the swingarm up:

Suspension linkage, I really should have taken some pictures of the g/f's as it was way more dirty:

All clean and re-lubed:

Pulled the swingarm:

So dirty:

Swingarm ready to get cleaned up:

Mostly cleaned up, midway through lubing it:

Cleaned up and lubed:

Cleaned ages of poo poo off the swingarm and pulled the suzuki stickers:

And slapping it all back together:

Thanks to Ola Baglbeabs* for providing some much needed motivation with his thread to tear down the bikes and lube the linkages up. Everything was in good shape with the exception of the axle on my bike which was kinda seized in place, it came out after I hammered the gently caress out of it. Hopefully the custom axle will show up today, it was supposed to show up on Friday but no go. Also going to grab a taillight from TarzansPuma tonight as well, so that'll finally clean up the back of my bike :)

Tonight I'd like to start on the 9, although I have no idea if I'll actually get a chance to get to it or not.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 23:44 on May 3, 2010

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I got to it a little bit. Didn't install the edge light, but will probably get to that tonight. Front forks on the 9 may be bent. Need to swap front rotors. Need right side rearset bracket. Need front seat.

Then it'd actually be kind of rideable. Also need to get the title issues sorted out.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Very noice! Whereabouts is fuel drawn from that huge tank? And it is only gravity fed?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Ola posted:

Very noice! Whereabouts is fuel drawn from that huge tank? And it is only gravity fed?

Yeah, it's only gravity fed...fuel is drawn from a petcock on the left hand side of the bike. There's a little fuel that sits in the bottom of the "wings" that you'd never be able to get to.

In other news, the front axle is finally supposed to show up today. I might actually get to mount my front wheel. :woop:

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
You really should replace the footpegs on the 9 with a set of aftermarket rearsets, the standard brackets are made of cheese.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

2ndclasscitizen posted:

You really should replace the footpegs on the 9 with a set of aftermarket rearsets, the standard brackets are made of cheese.

I would if I cared enough...Aftermarket rearsets are expensive and I'm really not planning on holding on to the bike for any significant amount of time.

Got home today all stoked to mount my new front wheel.

Pulled the axle out of the box, everything looks good. Pull the stock wheel off, slide in new axle, busy myself cutting spacers down to size.

Then I notice something's wrong.

WHAT THE gently caress.

Ok. gently caress those guys. Seriously. They had to TRY to gently caress it up this time...I gave them 5 loving measurements: 25mm x 41.75mm shoulder, 17mm shaft, 245mm overall length, thread the last 20mm of it.

I was super clear that 245mm was the overall length. He even loving asked "245mm is the overall length of the complete axle?". I confirmed. He said it would be here on friday.

He didn't ship it until thursday.

So I didn't get it until today.

And then they hosed up the measurements, again. How loving hard is it. There's 61.75mm of axle sticking out. He had to loving ADD EVERYTHING TOGETHER TO GET THAT NUMBER. JUST MAKE THE loving AXLE TO MY SPECS, STOP loving WITH poo poo. SHUT UP< LISTEN< AND MAKE THE loving AXLE. gently caress.

So yes.

gently caress those guys. So loving pissed.

Now I have to take it into the loving machine shop on campus, get them to chop the right amount off the end of it and thread the last 20mm. God...loving...damnit. I hate them.

In one simple transaction, they hosed up 5 times. First: The initial spacers were wrong. Second: I asked for a 17mm axle, they gave me a 16.8mm axle. Third: They didn't loving ship the replacement when they said they would. Fourth: They hosed up the length of the axle. Fifth: They hosed up the length of the spacers, he said he'd give me a 3.5 inch spacer, I got a 3 inch one. Thankfully it was still just long enough.

But seriously. How much of this loving bullshit do I have to put up with? God loving damnit, it's a simple request with simple loving numbers. I'm machining my own poo poo or having a local shop do it from now on, gently caress everyone else.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 04:13 on May 5, 2010

redscare
Aug 14, 2003
That is one rusty rotor you got there sir

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Disregard Stroll outside zone.
Next time forget the numbers, and send them a clearly marked drawing so they can't mess it up.

Machinists talk in pictures. :eng99:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

redscare posted:

That is one rusty rotor you got there sir

Maybe if you lived in coastal california you'd understand! :argh:

but yeah it'll burn off the first time 4 pistons of FURY are pressed against it.

Dubs posted:

Next time forget the numbers, and send them a clearly marked drawing so they can't mess it up.

:sigh:

Yeah, I should have taken the hint when I found the invoice with a lovely drawing scribbled on it. :sigh:

It shouldn't take more than 30 minutes to deal with rethreading it at the machine shop, and it's good for me to not be a fatass and bicycle in, so it's not the end of the world. I just so wanted it to be done :(

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

Dubs posted:

This is completely true. If you don't include a drawing they will gently caress it up every time.

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008

frozenphil posted:

This is completely true. If you don't include a drawing they will gently caress it up every time.

So machinists have this in common with surgeons, eh?

Seriously though, wtf is up with the rust?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

The front wheel has sat for years up in the bay area, and then was sitting down here...some surface rust is pretty standard. At some point when I have some cash and time I'm tearing down the front rim to get powdercoated, so I'll put new spokes in then. Most rotors rust here within a couple of days if they're left sitting.

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
I exist onl because of Parias'
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.

Z3n posted:

The front wheel has sat for years up in the bay area, and then was sitting down here...some surface rust is pretty standard. At some point when I have some cash and time I'm tearing down the front rim to get powdercoated, so I'll put new spokes in then. Most rotors rust here within a couple of days if they're left sitting.

poo poo if this aint the truth. Before leaving for my trip my bike had no rust, none. After getting to California, the goddamn chrome steering nut was rusting, the fairing bolts rusting, the luggage rivets were rusting, and I'm pretty sure even some of the aluminum was rusting! gently caress you, salt water.

Also lovely about your axle :(

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

MrZig posted:

poo poo if this aint the truth. Before leaving for my trip my bike had no rust, none. After getting to California, the goddamn chrome steering nut was rusting, the fairing bolts rusting, the luggage rivets were rusting, and I'm pretty sure even some of the aluminum was rusting! gently caress you, salt water.

Also lovely about your axle :(

Taught that axle a lesson.

Hopefully I didn't gently caress it up. :ohdear:

Best part: Total cost: 0$. Did it on my lunch break with the help of the machine shop :)

Z3n fucked around with this message at 00:17 on May 6, 2010

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I thought I'd post something about available space for machined sleeves working as axle sliders but I suppose that's too late. I'm sure it works out fine though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Ola posted:

I thought I'd post something about available space for machined sleeves working as axle sliders but I suppose that's too late. I'm sure it works out fine though.

I could rig something up for axle sliders. Got a standing invite to make whatever I'd like at the machine shop...they're super awesome. Main dude is a rider, so we chatted bikes for a bit :)

And I'd be a little sketch if the axle slider only had a total of 3mm of space to grip from. Better to make an external spacer or something. I'll probably go there next week and properly recut the spacers in something else so that I can fit the axle easier :)

• Locked thread