Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Xylorjax posted:

Christ, is there one other than the retarded old black-and-yellow one that you DO like?

no idea what you're talking about but it's not hard to make a decent badge, 90% of international teams have done it. we should just use the shield we wore in 1950.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

wicka posted:

no idea what you're talking about but it's not hard to make a decent badge, 90% of international teams have done it. we should just use the shield we wore in 1950.

it'll have to be a modernized version because you want the badge to be copyrightable, but yeah, that's the best possible badge.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
Yeah, the 90's were a terrible time to design just about anything.

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!
counterpoint.

GutBomb posted:

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

HinderedUseless posted:

counterpoint.

Surely that's just proving the point.

Kiros
Mar 16, 2008

Does anybody know about the quake?
Bullshit!
Ok ok, perhaps:

Minus the Project 2010 and the segment snake Gadsden Snake (even though the snake would be awesome).

c0ldfuse
Jun 18, 2004

The pursuit of excellence.

Fag Boy Jim posted:

it'll have to be a modernized version because you want the badge to be copyrightable, but yeah, that's the best possible badge.

Much better than current, still could be touched up: Actually I completely agree--it's already growing on me.

1950 logo

c0ldfuse fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Apr 30, 2010

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Nothus posted:

It could be worse. Look up Ireland and Slovenia.
What's wrong with our crest? It's way loving better than the current US one, that's for sure.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

irlZaphod posted:

What's wrong with our crest? It's way loving better than the current US one, that's for sure.

I think he was referring to the fact that Ireland and Slovenia have very similat crests that were released around the same time and that both are poo poo.

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

Kiros posted:

this is the reason why the rest of the football world is so amused by the USA

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

euroboy posted:

Absolutely, it's loving rubbish.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Mickolution posted:

Absolutely, it's loving rubbish.
Don't tread on me. :c00lbert:

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

euroboy posted:

what reason? which one is the reason?

Couch
May 16, 2004

COME ON TOT!
They could call them 'The Snakes' and have the fans hiss at opponents.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
Of all the animals that the US could have on their badge, the Eagle is probably the best suited.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

irlZaphod posted:

There's too much white space, it has a silly font that already looks dated, and the bizarre stylized football is silly. There's nothing about that banal shield, other than the fact that it's 10 shades of green, that makes it distinctly Irish.

The former crest you guys used in the 1990's was awesome. But this one looks like something a hung-over 1st year design student would poo poo out on a Sunday night with a Monday morning deadline.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Directorman posted:

The idea of the world's biggest athletic superpower playing at being some kind of oppressed, anti-colonial rebellion is absurd. Not to mention the fact that the rattlesnake symbol is already used by racists and hard-right nutjobs.

Man, I'm grouchy this morning.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Nothus posted:

The idea of the world's biggest athletic superpower playing at being some kind of oppressed, anti-colonial rebellion is absurd. Not to mention the fact that the rattlesnake symbol is already used by racists and hard-right nutjobs.

Man, I'm grouchy this morning.

Friend, we're not a footballing superpower by any means. So, in pretty much every competition outside of CONCACAF, we are huge underdogs.

Also, I agree that it totally sucks the Teabaggers co-opted that flag--I have to think of another Nats-related tattoo, now :(

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Nothus posted:

There's too much white space, it has a silly font that already looks dated, and the bizarre stylized football is silly. There's nothing about that banal shield, other than the fact that it's 10 shades of green, that makes it distinctly Irish.

The former crest you guys used in the 1990's was awesome. But this one looks like something a hung-over 1st year design student would poo poo out on a Sunday night with a Monday morning deadline.
Yeah I suppose it's missing a crying pint of Guinness or whatever, maybe a Leprechaun or two.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Directorman posted:

Friend, we're not a footballing superpower by any means. So, in pretty much every competition outside of CONCACAF, we are huge underdogs.

Also, I agree that it totally sucks the Teabaggers co-opted that flag--I have to think of another Nats-related tattoo, now :(

The Eagle from the Vets Association badge, the shield from the Presidential seal, a football, and the letters USA

done

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Directorman posted:

We've hosted one World Cup and qualified for each one since 1990, we routinely win our Confederation tournament, and we frequently beat top-tier teams. We're a second-tier power and perform about as expected given the sport's relative place in the hierarchy of American athletics. The 1990 team were underdogs. Now we're merely average.

This isn't to say the joy is gone. I'm pretty proud of what we've accomplished in 20 years. It's just that constantly claiming to be some kind of Miracle On Ice-style upstart gets to be a little tired as the years go by.

Nothus fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Apr 30, 2010

Hoover Dam
Jun 17, 2003

red white and blue forever

So I went to this last night

and I figure y'all might want to see a bunch of low-quality, poorly composed phone camera shots of what they had.

The invite said you could customize a shirt with a special Boston-only graphic (shown here), but the shirts were $45 and not exactly as custom as I had in mind (you could pick what colors the text was printed in, that's about it). I was expecting a little more hands-on design input, with like markers and stuff, but that's probably just me.

Folding the shirts as they came off the printer.

Team polo shirts that greeted you as you entered the gallery. Told you these were lousy photos.

Each country featured had a wall, or half a wall, devoted to its design. This is South Africa.

Part of the Brazil wall. I figure the knockoffs of these should be in my neighborhood stores in a few hours.

Terrible, terrible photo of France

England's lion

Netherlands wall. They had custom foosball tables set up, pairing each of the countries in the gallery against one another, i.e. the figures on the tables were the individual country logos. Brazil vs England, Netherlands vs France, USA vs South Africa. Wish I'd gotten a photo of the tables but they were always in use.

Close-up of USA hoodie that someone needs to buy me and we were trying to figure out how to shoplift

Info on the USA artist, evidently done without a proofreader

USA wall artwork. Weird how something that's otherwise totally GIT 'ER DONE works in this setup.

The USA crest as interpreted by Mr. Cartoon. I like it.

Wall photo of the boys in white in a huddle. Goddamn, a little less than a month from now...

I didn't get a t-shirt, but I did get a poster, which I'll take somewhat decent photos of later. The place was packed the whole time I was there, open bar, tasty snacks. Did not awkwardly network for design work as much as I expected. Neat non-soccer soccer event.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Directorman posted:

the colored stripes are on the outside, thats the reason

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Nothus posted:

we frequently beat top-tier teams.

Aside from beating Spain in a friendly last year, I'm struggling here.

Kiros
Mar 16, 2008

Does anybody know about the quake?
Bullshit!
Everything Mr. Cartoon does is terrible.

luvd_
Nov 4, 2006

by T. Finn

Hoover Dam posted:

So I went to this last night

and I figure y'all might want to see a bunch of low-quality, poorly composed phone camera shots of what they had.

The invite said you could customize a shirt with a special Boston-only graphic (shown here), but the shirts were $45 and not exactly as custom as I had in mind (you could pick what colors the text was printed in, that's about it). I was expecting a little more hands-on design input, with like markers and stuff, but that's probably just me.

Folding the shirts as they came off the printer.

Team polo shirts that greeted you as you entered the gallery. Told you these were lousy photos.

Each country featured had a wall, or half a wall, devoted to its design. This is South Africa.

Part of the Brazil wall. I figure the knockoffs of these should be in my neighborhood stores in a few hours.

Terrible, terrible photo of France

England's lion

Netherlands wall. They had custom foosball tables set up, pairing each of the countries in the gallery against one another, i.e. the figures on the tables were the individual country logos. Brazil vs England, Netherlands vs France, USA vs South Africa. Wish I'd gotten a photo of the tables but they were always in use.

Close-up of USA hoodie that someone needs to buy me and we were trying to figure out how to shoplift

Info on the USA artist, evidently done without a proofreader

USA wall artwork. Weird how something that's otherwise totally GIT 'ER DONE works in this setup.

The USA crest as interpreted by Mr. Cartoon. I like it.

Wall photo of the boys in white in a huddle. Goddamn, a little less than a month from now...

I didn't get a t-shirt, but I did get a poster, which I'll take somewhat decent photos of later. The place was packed the whole time I was there, open bar, tasty snacks. Did not awkwardly network for design work as much as I expected. Neat non-soccer soccer event.

Really appreciated this post, thank you.

calcio
May 7, 2007

No Totti No party
Thanks for the great post. You can find some of the gear for sale on the Nike site.
http://www.nike.com/nikeos/p/sportswear/en_US/true_colors

Stim
Sep 6, 2006

We are not feeling edgy; the system is feeling nervous.
AS says that Adidas has leaked the two model home Real Madrid kits...

That one on the right is disgusting. The left is not so bad and looks like a return to something more traditional.

Still no word on the Milan kits either. :(

Craiglen
Sep 2, 2006

Mickolution posted:

I think he was referring to the fact that Ireland and Slovenia have very similat crests that were released around the same time and that both are poo poo.

And Israel.

Should never have changed the old crest.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Craiglen posted:

And Israel.

Should never have changed the old crest.

Never saw the Israeli one, ridiculous.

manchego
Feb 16, 2007

MEANWHILE,

Stim posted:

AS says that Adidas has leaked the two model home Real Madrid kits...

That one on the right is disgusting. The left is not so bad and looks like a return to something more traditional.

Still no word on the Milan kits either. :(

Jesus, the one on the right is hideous.

Might be my screen, but the one on the left looks more blueish than purple which might be reaching back to the original Real Madrid kit:

manchego fucked around with this message at 16:09 on May 1, 2010

luvd_
Nov 4, 2006

by T. Finn

another more recent mock up, looks like we're gonna have a very simple traditional kit

generally I prefer
Apr 17, 2006

luvd posted:

another more recent mock up, looks like we're gonna have a very simple traditional kit

Will retire my 2007 home shirt if this is legit, because that kit is class.

Black Swan
Jul 3, 2003

No chance, there'll be a stupid yellow/gold/green/blue stripe somewhere to ruin it

manchego
Feb 16, 2007

MEANWHILE,
Floppy sleeves are terrible. Other than that, would be a nice kit for them.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

manchego posted:

Floppy sleeves are terrible. Other than that, would be a nice kit for them.

all the mock-ups are based on the same terrible picture of the 06-07 shirt

hello i am phone
Nov 24, 2005
¿donde estoy?
A bit old , but I think this Boca jrs. shirt would sell well in Sweden.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

hecko posted:

A bit old , but I think this Boca jrs. shirt would sell well in Sweden.

The team colors were picked because a boat flying the Swedish flag came into the harbor and the guy that owned the team said he would pick the colors of the next boat to come into the harbor or something like that.

hello i am phone
Nov 24, 2005
¿donde estoy?
That's the story but it wasn't the owner (argentinian clubs don't have owners). The group of people that founded the club decided that.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boca_Juniors#Team_colors

hello i am phone fucked around with this message at 01:42 on May 2, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adnar
Jul 11, 2002

New Spurs is mint:

http://www.spursornothing.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=8832