Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Amberlyn
Jan 5, 2010

Ceridwen posted:

It's a walking jacket. It's much harder for cats to get out of than a normal harness.

http://metpet.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/walkingjacket.html

:doh: Of course it is.

Without any frame of reference, and from that angle, it looked like some kind of disk on the cat's back. Sorry for the :downs: question.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helanna
Feb 1, 2007

Dr. Video Games 0117 posted:

What type of cat is this, exactly?

Definitely Bengal I'd say, with "marble" markings :)

fomoz
Jul 26, 2006
Photographer
my 1.5 year old tabby cat is pretty fat. i bought a furry ball on an elastic string for him a few days ago and after adding a piece of paper to it i have been playing with him every evening. he loves it.

after playing for some time, he starts to pant really hard. his mouth is always open. when he's too tired, he just lies down, but i can still make him hunt for it if i make it interesting enough.

can he have a heart attach from playing too much?

6-Ethyl Bearcat
Apr 27, 2008

Go out

Eggplant Wizard posted:

It's cool; it's a difficult thing to describe. Ceridwen is right though; many shorthair cats do have very thin hair between ears & eyes. I don't know if you mean something weirder, though. I think you can use tinypic to host a picture if waffle is still down.

I recall hearing that this is because they have scent glands there? (Also why they rub their heads on stuff?) It could be an urban myth though.

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009

Ceridwen posted:

Is your new kitty a shorthair? The hair loss between the eyes and ears is pretty normal but tends to be much more obvious on shorthaired cats.

For example here is Zeus:

He had a weird coat, so it tended to show up more on him, but almost all cats show some thinning of the hair there compared to other areas of their bodies.

Yeah I was trying to get a shot of it but the pictures never showed all the way to the skin. I was kind of flabbergasted because my previous (and only) cat was a maine coon who didn't have anything like that. And I never noticed it on any other short-hairs I've met. I'm always a bit confused because she apparently is spotted like a cow under her fur, which is bizarre.

I know big cats tend to get colour differences under their fur where they are spotted and so on, but she has hair transitioning from black to chocolate from front to back. No spots or anything!

Billy Black
Nov 9, 2006

My two cats have been getting along pretty well lately. One is about 8 months, the other is just shy of 2 years. Usually, they'll chase each other around the house, but sometimes the older one just isn't feeling it, and just swats the younger one in the head and walks away. Not really any hissing, and no poofy tails up until yesterday. I happened to walk by and the older one is slowly walking toward the younger one, both are poofy tailed. It freaked me out, so I called to them with no response. The older one got all the way to the face of the younger one, who had his claw held back like he was ready to swipe. I called again, and they both snapped out of it, acting like nothing happened.

Today, they are playing pretty great. Other than yesterday, I had never seen either of them get poofy tailed for ANY reason, so it was really startling for me. Is this something I should be worried about?

Edit: I should add, they've been living together for about 2 months.

Billy Black fucked around with this message at 14:47 on May 2, 2010

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Billy Black posted:

My two cats have been getting along pretty well lately. One is about 8 months, the other is just shy of 2 years. Usually, they'll chase each other around the house, but sometimes the older one just isn't feeling it, and just swats the younger one in the head and walks away. Not really any hissing, and no poofy tails up until yesterday. I happened to walk by and the older one is slowly walking toward the younger one, both are poofy tailed. It freaked me out, so I called to them with no response. The older one got all the way to the face of the younger one, who had his claw held back like he was ready to swipe. I called again, and they both snapped out of it, acting like nothing happened.

Today, they are playing pretty great. Other than yesterday, I had never seen either of them get poofy tailed for ANY reason, so it was really startling for me. Is this something I should be worried about?

Edit: I should add, they've been living together for about 2 months.

Sometimes my cat gets poofy tailed when I surprise him. If there's no hissing or protracted yowling/growling, you're all right. Older guy is just saying "gently caress OFF ALL RIGHT?" when he doesn't feel like messing about. If either of them seems to have a personality change otherwise, or to be unusually aggressive, get him checked out. From what you say though, I suspect you just happened to witness a moment of tension.

edit: Also, for 2 months' acquaintance, especially when one of them is growing into his cathood still, chances are they're still working out their pecking order. Maybe the little dude is feeling uppity. They'll continue feeling this out for a couple more months or so.

Crooked Booty
Apr 2, 2009
arrr

Billy Black posted:

My cats get poofy tails all the time when they're extremely rowdy, especially if they get startled. They also kick the poo poo out of each other with claws and teeth while playing, and yet they've never drawn blood. I think in general it's all in good fun until clumps of fur are flying or blood is being drawn. I would assume your cats are playing or being crazy unless one of them actually gets hurt.

Billy Black
Nov 9, 2006

Crooked Booty posted:

My cats get poofy tails all the time when they're extremely rowdy, especially if they get startled. They also kick the poo poo out of each other with claws and teeth while playing, and yet they've never drawn blood. I think in general it's all in good fun until clumps of fur are flying or blood is being drawn. I would assume your cats are playing or being crazy unless one of them actually gets hurt.

It's really kinda funny because the older one (Sebastian) definitely gets upset at the little one (Alexei) sometimes, but Alexei doesn't seem to even realize and thinks he's just playing along. In other words, Sebastian gets mad and smacks him in the head, and Alexei just keeps jumping around like it's part of the game.

I think they'll be alright. I yelled at Alexei this morning and squirted him with the water bottle, and then Sebastian goes and comforts him and licks the water off. It was kinda cute and I wasn't mad anymore :3:

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Billy Black posted:

It's really kinda funny because the older one (Sebastian) definitely gets upset at the little one (Alexei) sometimes, but Alexei doesn't seem to even realize and thinks he's just playing along. In other words, Sebastian gets mad and smacks him in the head, and Alexei just keeps jumping around like it's part of the game.

I think they'll be alright. I yelled at Alexei this morning and squirted him with the water bottle, and then Sebastian goes and comforts him and licks the water off. It was kinda cute and I wasn't mad anymore :3:

Yep, that sounds like the dynamic I thought it was. It sounds like they get along well.

Somepictureswouldhelpmetobesureofthis:3:

Billy Black
Nov 9, 2006

I posted a few at the end of the "post pictures of your animal" thread.

Edit: Bonus pic!

Click here for the full 604x453 image.

All they ever do is sleep on my furniture

Billy Black fucked around with this message at 19:36 on May 2, 2010

Beichan
Feb 17, 2007

pugs, pugs everywhere

Billy Black posted:

I posted a few at the end of the "post pictures of your animal" thread.

Edit: Bonus pic!

Click here for the full 604x453 image.

All they ever do is sleep on my furniture

Holding down your furniture is a very important job, who knows when it might decide to try to run away or get stolen? I salute those brave kitties doing their patriotic duty.

Salacious R. Crumb
Feb 15, 2009
I just bought my cat this harness, and now I'm thinking I should've gotten a jacket instead. :( In any case, I tried to get him acclimated to it yesterday and today, but he seems to walk crouched down to the ground in it. I'm pretty sure it's fitted on him appropriately... not tight or restricting his movement, but he still crouches around. He also seems to just lay down a lot more when it's on. Does this indicate a bad fit, or is he probably just getting used to having something on him? I don't want him to be uncomfortable, I just want him to be able to explore the garden with me.

Ceridwen
Dec 11, 2004
Of course... If the Jell-O gets moldy, the whole thing should be set aflame.

Salacious R. Crumb posted:

I just bought my cat this harness, and now I'm thinking I should've gotten a jacket instead. :( In any case, I tried to get him acclimated to it yesterday and today, but he seems to walk crouched down to the ground in it. I'm pretty sure it's fitted on him appropriately... not tight or restricting his movement, but he still crouches around. He also seems to just lay down a lot more when it's on. Does this indicate a bad fit, or is he probably just getting used to having something on him? I don't want him to be uncomfortable, I just want him to be able to explore the garden with me.

He's just being melodramatic.

Cat's tend to act like the world is ending the first time you put a harness on them. Most get over it. Zeus took about 2 days, Eowyn about 2 weeks. As long as he likes going outside, then eventually he'll probably come to be happy to have the harness on because it will mean it's time for a trip outside.

They do the same thing with the jacket, btw. The advantage of the jacket is that it's harder to get out of.

Salacious R. Crumb
Feb 15, 2009

Ceridwen posted:

He's just being melodramatic.
Sounds about right for him. :rolleyes: I'm thankful for the reassurance, though. He has anxiety issues, so I try to keep things pretty low-stress for him, but I think the outdoor BIRD! GRASS! WEIRD SMELL! stimulation will be worth it for the temporary 'what the gently caress is this on me?' sensation of the harness. I'm going to look into getting a jacket, but I just dropped 100 bones on a gigantic bag of food + the harness, which maxes out my non-medical cat stuff budget for the next few weeks.

Do you actually walk your cats, or just let them romp in the garden/front lawn/backyard with you? I feel like there would be way too much potential for new/scary things on a walk (not to mention stupid 'AWW KITTY I'MMA PET IT' people).

MockTurtle
Mar 9, 2006
Once I was a real Turtle.

When I first started taking my cats out, i would sometimes put the harness on them and then just let them chill around the house and get used to it. At first they would just flop down and act like it was the end of the world but later on they start to get more confident and actually go exploring with it on. Even now they aren't ever really "walked", it's more like "I'm holding the leash and I follow them wherever". As soon as you tug they flop right down again.

tsc
Jun 18, 2004
hostis humani generis

Do you actually walk your cats, or just let them romp in the garden/front lawn/backyard with you? I feel like there would be way too much potential for new/scary things on a walk (not to mention stupid 'AWW KITTY I'MMA PET IT' people).

I live in an apartment building with dogs, so I don't really 'walk' our one that'll allow it, but he can sit out on the porch with us with his leash on, and when it's really quiet, go roll around on the grass right near our door and shove his face into some bushes. it seems to keep the edge off of he 'gotta GET OUTSIIIIDE" urges petty well.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

My cat is on a goddamn hunger strike and I think it has gone on for too long now. Normally I get him 'whiskas' can mince stuff, but a couple of weeks ago the supermarket brand was like half the price so I bought that instead.

He didn't eat it, but he still ate the dry food/biscuits that i give him. Sometimes if I mixed it in with the can food he would eat it too. But about 4 or 5 days ago he stopped eating it altogether. I'd clear out his bowl and and give him fresh stuff, but he stopped even eating the biscuits, which he always liked.

Today I caved and went back and bought the food he likes, but now he won't even eat that. He's behaving very strange, seems very weak and distant, and makes funny noises. If he doesn't eat anything by tonight I'll have to take him to the vet but I thought I'd ask here if anyone has had a similar experience first. Has he just drained himself completely and now doesn't even have the energy to eat? Is he sick? Will he eat of his own accord or is going to have to go on a loving drip or something goddamn it this is going to send me broke.

Here's the gorgeous little fella:

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Fire up the grill everyone eats tonight!
Lipstick Apathy
He's very attractive. Cats can't move stored fat as well as other animals and can't go very long without eating. Your cat is in a very high risk situation. Here's some info
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feline_hepatic_lipidosis. You need to get him eating NOW. I would take him right to the vet if he were my kitty. Try tempting him with anything you can get him to eat. the most important thing is to get some food in him.

ChairmanMeow fucked around with this message at 19:24 on May 4, 2010

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Cheers, that wiki page has some good info. Looks like we gotta go to the vet and stick a tube in his mouth cos the stubborn little poo poo still ain't eating. I hope it's not too late :(

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

Billy Black posted:

Don't squirt him, he's not doing anything wrong. Unless you see fur and blood flying, leave them be. They are doing an important piece of cat social interaction.

Shenadigins posted:

He didn't eat it, but he still ate the dry food/biscuits that i give him. Sometimes if I mixed it in with the can food he would eat it too. But about 4 or 5 days ago he stopped eating it altogether.

Even a day of not eating is very dangerous to the cat. Cats that don't eat go down hill very very quickly. He needs to go to the vet ASAP. Go right now to the store and get anything you can think of to get him to eat. A variety of wet cat foods, meat from the deli, chicken, steak, baby food (my cats love the beef flavor for 2-3 month olds), whatever you get get into him. Sometimes it helps to warm it up to make it stinkier. Often times if a cat can't smell something, they wont eat it. If his nose is stuffed up turn the shower on hot and close him in the bathroom so the steam can help break up the congestion in his nose. Even if you need to get a syringe and mix the Whiskas stuff with water and force it down his throat. Load up the food slurry into the syringe, force his mouth open and put the syringe in the side of his mouth toward the back and slowly but steadily push down on the plunger. It helps if you can rub his throat at the same time. With the syringe at the back of his mouth he'll automatically swallow.

Billy Black
Nov 9, 2006

KilGrey posted:

Don't squirt him, he's not doing anything wrong. Unless you see fur and blood flying, leave them be. They are doing an important piece of cat social interaction.

Oh, no. The squirting wasn't associated with their interactions. But I thought it was cute how the older one reacted afterwards.

Bastard Man
Nov 15, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Have a question regarding my Shih Tzu.

He is 9 and a half months old.

Recently (seems to be getting worse) he is getting less and less tired, he wakes up earlier then me quite often now. I get up at 7:30, he gets up at about 5:30-6:30 sometimes earlier because that is the time my mom leaves for work. This isn't too much of an issue, but may be connected with the thing that is. At night time, (any time, after my parents go to bed (around 9 or 10), he will get restless, he barks at me, scratches at my parents door, and goes up and down the halls until I go to bed. (he sleeps on my bed) as soon as I go to bed though, he will curl up beside me and go to sleep. I usually stay up until around midnight playing games, and this begins to get in the way, I can't really do anything when he is like this. I walk him every day for 30 minutes to an hour and play with him as well, so it isn't that I don't give him enough attention. Is this just a matter of him getting harder to tire because he is almost an adult, or is there anything I can do to stop this behaviour.

Thanks.

A few pictures for anyone who is interested

When we first got him:

A month ago

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

Quibb posted:

I walk him every day for 30 minutes to an hour and play with him as well, so it isn't that I don't give him enough attention.

No, it probably is. A 30 minute walk every day is like NOTHING to the energy level of a puppy. Sounds like he needs more exercise, and your family might well benefit from crate training him in addition to that.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

quote:

He's at the vet now, they called me up at about 8 pm tonight and said that he'd starting eating from their hand, they did blood tests and looks like he may have an enzyme build up in the livier, not enough urine in the bladder to do a urine test. but they've got a tube in him so he's getting food to the belly which should set him right. he's a tough little dude so i reckno he'll pull through, gonna cost me about $900 bucks though. love is expensive.

Lackadaisical
Nov 8, 2005

Adj: To Not Give A Shit

Shenadigins posted:

He's at the vet now, they called me up at about 8 pm tonight and said that he'd starting eating from their hand, they did blood tests and looks like he may have an enzyme build up in the livier, not enough urine in the bladder to do a urine test. but they've got a tube in him so he's getting food to the belly which should set him right. he's a tough little dude so i reckno he'll pull through, gonna cost me about $900 bucks though. love is expensive.

:) I'm glad he's eating!

Until your post, I had no idea that a cat not eating could be such a big deal. I'm trying to regulate how much food I give my cat, but after reading that, I went and gave her another can of wet food and a massive hug.

Who knew such little things could cost so much?

Meow Cadet
May 2, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

Lackadaisical posted:

:) I'm glad he's eating!

Until your post, I had no idea that a cat not eating could be such a big deal. I'm trying to regulate how much food I give my cat, but after reading that, I went and gave her another can of wet food and a massive hug.

Who knew such little things could cost so much?

FYI - It's much more dangerous to let a fat cat go without food for a day or two than to let a skinny cat go without. So ease up on those extra feedings. :3:

Lackadaisical
Nov 8, 2005

Meow Cadet posted:

FYI - It's much more dangerous to let a fat cat go without food for a day or two than to let a skinny cat go without. So ease up on those extra feedings. :3:

I just did it once I swear!! :)

Plus my cat is a stray I took in a couple of months ago... She was 5 lbs when I first took her to the vet. She was so small I thought she was a kitten. When they told me she was 7-8, I looked like this :aaa: and stayed that way for a full minute or two.

She's currently up to 6.7 lbs and I figure if she's still underweight, that'll fix itself naturally if I just keep feeding her the right amount.

Salacious R. Crumb
Feb 15, 2009
My cat, Satchmo, has anxiety issues, for which he's medicated (Clomicalm), and you're all probably sick of hearing about. He pees/sprays on stuff that's his (me, my apartment) when he thinks his territory is being threatened (when my boyfriend would stay over, when I've been out of town with friends house-sitting). I take him out on our enclosed porch to sit by the screen door and look at/smell the world. A few weeks ago a cat ran through our yard and spooked poor Satches. A few hours later, he sprayed the front door. I didn't think too much about it, but in retrospect those events were probably related.

On the weekend I bought him a harness and took him out exploring in the garden. The first day went well, he rolled all around and sniffed everything, and then passed out on his cat tree and blissed out for the rest of the day. The second day seemed to go well, too, until later that night he sprayed the front door. :( Nothing spooked him, but I'm wondering if maybe the great outdoors is just too anxiety-producing. Maybe it's just too much new stuff that he feels he doesn't have domain over?

Does this sound at all plausible? He's had urinalyses done before and they've all turned up fine, and this issue has been happening off and on since I adopted him last April, and it's been an ongoing process of finding his triggers and eliminating them. That said, I don't want to deny him (supervised) outdoors-access, because it's good exercise and mental stimulation. The fact that he's spraying the front door—literally the liminal space between his territory and the outdoors—makes me think that's the cause. But I don't know if I'm just applying human psychology to my cat or what.

Auracounts
Sep 21, 2006
Forgive me if you've answered this before, but is he fixed?

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

Auracounts posted:

She's a regular PI reader, don't worry. Click the ? next to her name and it says she adopted the cat already fixed. I'm sure she wishes the solution was that simple.

I wish I had some solid words advice for you though Crumb. I wonder if the peeing is a side effect from the medication or something? Anxiety meds are harsh on humans too.

Crooked Booty
Apr 2, 2009
arrr

Kerfuffle posted:

I wonder if the peeing is a side effect from the medication or something? Anxiety meds are harsh on humans too.
Pretty sure the meds are for the peeing, and not the other way around.

I think the other cat is a very likely trigger for him, and even if you've only seen the cat once, Satch may be able to smell it when you take him outside. As stimulating as the outdoors are, I think there's absolutely some stress associated with it. You might want to keep him indoors for a week to make sure that the door-peeing is a direct result, but I think it's going to come down to whether or not the "stimulation" of the outdoors is worth cleaning up more pee.

Auracounts
Sep 21, 2006

Kerfuffle posted:

She's a regular PI reader, don't worry. Click the ? next to her name and it says she adopted the cat already fixed. I'm sure she wishes the solution was that simple.

I wish I had some solid words advice for you though Crumb. I wonder if the peeing is a side effect from the medication or something? Anxiety meds are harsh on humans too.

I can't believe I've been here this long and never knew what that "?" did. Thanks for that tip. I hate trying to wade through entire post histories, especially for people that have thousands of posts. Nice little trick, that.

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Fire up the grill everyone eats tonight!
Lipstick Apathy

Shenadigins posted:

I'm so glad you took him in to the vet. Love racks up the bills fast! Let us know how he's doing. Good luck, I look forward to seeing pics when he's all better and home.

Salacious R. Crumb
Feb 15, 2009

Auracounts posted:

It's been answered, but yeah, he's fixed. He's 9 years old, though, and the shelter didn't know that much about his history before I got him, so it's possible he was neutered later in life, and retained the spraying behaviour.

Kerfuffle posted:

Crooked Booty is right, the anxiety medication was prescribed because my vet determined that the peeing/spraying was likely an anxiety thing. I do feel bad that he's been on :catdrugs: for so long. My vet said that she had to keep one of her cats on a full dose for two years before she started tapering him off it. Satchmo's on half his original dosage, but he was a zombie cat back when he was taking the full dose. He'd been doing worlds better, up until the two recent spraying incidents. I think the medication is working well, but it's also been a matter of me getting to know him better, learning his signals, figuring out what his anxiety triggers are, and how to calm him down.

Crooked Booty posted:

I think the other cat is a very likely trigger for him, and even if you've only seen the cat once, Satch may be able to smell it when you take him outside. As stimulating as the outdoors are, I think there's absolutely some stress associated with it. You might want to keep him indoors for a week to make sure that the door-peeing is a direct result, but I think it's going to come down to whether or not the "stimulation" of the outdoors is worth cleaning up more pee.
This makes sense to me too, so I'm glad to hear you confirm it. We have several strays that come through our yard (and poo poo in our garden :argh:), but I take him onto the patio almost every night for 10-15 minutes, and that's the first time a cat came through while we were out there. You're probably right that their smell is all over our yard, though, and Satchmo encountered it all up close. He seemed fine at the time, though... it wasn't until later in the night that he sprayed. I'll take your advice and keep him inside for a week, and hopefully he'll keep calm.

Billy Black
Nov 9, 2006

Random, probably unimportant question. The end of my newest cats tail feels broken. Like the bone is completely disjointed in a few places over a few inches. Almost like it was slammed in a door and maybe just healed in that broken state. He came from the vet, and I don't know much about his past, but he doesn't even react if you touch that part of his tail. Considering he's only 8 months old, I feel like his tail wouldn't have time to heal on its own to the point where it wouldn't cause him any discomfort.

The other possibility is that it's just a birth defect. It's towards the tip of his tail, but his fur covers it to the point where it's hard to notice unless you actually touch it. Considering either possibility, should I be worried at all? I figure probably not because he doesn't seem to be in pain. I was just wondering. If a previous owner slammed his tail in a door, it would probably explain why he's still really skittish sometimes.

Lackadaisical
Nov 8, 2005

My cat has something similar. The vet said that she thinks its a birth defect since theres no scarring around that area and no disruption in the hair. That might apply to your cat too. Again, not sure how accurate it is, but the vet also said that the large angle likely means it happened in womb.

Here's a picture of my cats tail to compare:

Like yours, she doesn't react when you touch it.

Insulation is Pink
Aug 20, 2009

..and I hate pink.
Any way to get a dog to be interested in toys? She has no interest in any type of toy i've offered to her, and i've even tried to trick her into playing with them by putting a little peanut butter on one of them. She'll lick it off, and then thats it. She doesn't even like bones, and the one rawhide she has she just hides it.

I'd like to get her interested in playing with a ball. or a stick. or a frisbee. so that we can do a little more interactive playing, plus I'd like her to have something to do while i'm not home besides sleep. Any ideas on how to get her interested in toys?

Long Wang
Aug 28, 2006

I've noticed a lot when I'm driving that a bird will fly out in front of me and probably come within 1/2 metre of my car. It happens so much I'm seriously wondering if they're playing chicken. Are they? Or do they perceive cars as predators and try and get them to chase them away from their territory?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ceridwen
Dec 11, 2004
Of course... If the Jell-O gets moldy, the whole thing should be set aflame.

Insulation is Pink posted:

Any way to get a dog to be interested in toys? She has no interest in any type of toy i've offered to her, and i've even tried to trick her into playing with them by putting a little peanut butter on one of them. She'll lick it off, and then thats it. She doesn't even like bones, and the one rawhide she has she just hides it.

I'd like to get her interested in playing with a ball. or a stick. or a frisbee. so that we can do a little more interactive playing, plus I'd like her to have something to do while i'm not home besides sleep. Any ideas on how to get her interested in toys?

Does she like food? What types of toys have you tried? What kind of dog? How old? When/where did you get her?