Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tecman
Sep 11, 2003

Loading the Universe...
Please Wait.

Pillbug

Fnoigy posted:

Wait, Deus Ex editor? What? There's a Deus Ex editor? :wth:

http://offtopicproductions.com/tacks/GettingStarted.html

Enjoy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Vita posted:

Is it just me or does Striker make the game really hard? I can't face any enemies on Medium without dying in what feels like 3 shots with perfect accuracy and yet it takes me 10 seconds just to get a bead on them.
This is my first playthrough though, so maybe I just suck :shobon:

First of all it's Shifter. Secondly, the game's just like that. You have to learn to deal with it.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

The game's not a shooter. Get used to it.

Sneaking through, laying traps, turning the enemies' defenses against themselves, sniping; these are all more useful and productive than going in guns blazing.

At least they are before you're all SUPER AWESOME MODDED NANO AGENT MK11.5.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Marund posted:

I disagree, master everything makes the game utterly hilarious and thus more fun.
Doesn't the skill point ceiling eventually crash the game?

xX_WEED_GOKU_Xx
Apr 30, 2010

by Ozma

Shumagorath posted:

Never gave me any trouble.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
God I hate MOD DB and its use for FilePlanet so drat much. It is taking forever to download the New Vision mod.

Retro-Future Rodent
Jul 30, 2008

Ranked 9327th out of 9328 players worldwide.

Fnoigy posted:

Wait, Deus Ex editor? What? There's a Deus Ex editor? :wth:

To quote myself a few pages back:

Retro-Future Rodent posted:

I've been dicking around with modding and have created a buggy crossbow that fires EMP and Scrambler darts. The game gets confused if I try to switch between it and a regular crossbow though, so it needs work. Anyway here are some details for the curious, sorry if they're a bit jumbled or vague.

Grab the editingpack and fix from this post, the one in the post below it doesn't contain the fix.

Install it to the same directory as DX. I assume Steam and D2D users are out of luck at this point.
Copy the files from the fixpack into the new Ued2 folder that was placed in your deusex directory.
Use WOTGreal to browse the contents of deusex.u (the official one and the Shifter/Biomod one are worth a look) and extract scripts from it to tinker with.
The .bat compiler from Universal Constructor in the links below is no good, but deleting your MyDumbassMod.u before running "UCC make" is easy enough to do manually.

If you just want to get coding and ignore mapping read this one page, copy some uc files from deusex.u into X:\Deusex\MyDumbassMod\Classes and run "UCC make" from the commandline, in your X:\Deusex\system folder

For proper tutorials, offtopic's backup of Tack's Deus Ex Lab and Universal Constructor, hosted on planetdeusex, seem to be the only sites up, rather than just a help forum but they were enough.

And that pack comes with UnrealEd2, a much more capable editor.

Chunderbucket
Aug 31, 2006

I had a beer with Stephen Miller once and now I like him.

Shumagorath posted:

There is a certain point, I don't know what, but when the skill points reach a certain level the game just up and crashes- so you might not know you overdid it until all of a sudden at endgame some vital objective winds up consistently crashing your game.

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me

Chunderbucket posted:

There is a certain point, I don't know what, but when the skill points reach a certain level the game just up and crashes- so you might not know you overdid it until all of a sudden at endgame some vital objective winds up consistently crashing your game.

If you've got that many skillpoints, you're probably cheating / glitching anyway, so just use the SetSkillPoints command and set it to 0, shouldn't that fix it?

Chunderbucket
Aug 31, 2006

I had a beer with Stephen Miller once and now I like him.

Marund posted:

If you've got that many skillpoints, you're probably cheating / glitching anyway, so just use the SetSkillPoints command and set it to 0, shouldn't that fix it?

Yes, this only happens when you're exploiting that glitch to get massive points.

edit: sorry, ones you've spent on skills apparently count, it's not just the leftovers in your character screen.

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me
Huh, that's odd, I just did a "gently caress it cheat the hell out of the game for hilarity's sake" run and never ran into any issues with that.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
So really the best way to play currently is New Vision + Shifter + Biomod, correct? Or is there another mod out there that's worth throwing in?

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
IMO it's better to have the game look consistent than have some really high res textures on primitive geometry and a couple of high-poly models out of place in a 2000 game. Biomod is pretty awesome though, and worth a playthrough. Biomod is built off of Shifter so you don't need to install one, then the other or something like that.

SM64Guy
Apr 1, 2005

Fuzz posted:

So really the best way to play currently is New Vision + Shifter + Biomod, correct? Or is there another mod out there that's worth throwing in?

I think it's best vanilla, save for the dx10 renderer, bug fixer and maybe new vision

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
yeah, I'd save Shifter for the second or third time through, it's one of the best PC games ever, you owe it at least one vanilla playthrough.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Christ, you people. I bought the game on release day in 2000 and beat it 3 times already. Now answer the drat question. :colbert:

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
New Vision isn't done yet and half-done texture packs just look jarring to me. I'd say go with Shifter and use Biomod if you liked the better aspects of IW's mod mechanics.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Only three times in 10 years? Get the hell out

(yeah that's probably a fine setup if you want to try something new and don't mind half-finished texture packs)

OregonDonor
Mar 12, 2010

Fag Boy Jim posted:

yeah, I'd save Shifter for the second or third time through, it's one of the best PC games ever, you owe it at least one vanilla playthrough.

Yeah, playing it vanilla is kind of necessary. I'm on my second playthrough and using Shifter--I like some of the small nuances it fixes up (stackable knives, other things I can't think of, unique weapons) but some of it I don't care for (skill point deductions, child killing penalties; oh, the child killing penalties).

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
penalizing you for killing Louis Pan is reason enough to completely reject Shifter

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
Shifter is already included in Biomod, so that makes it Biomod + New Vision.

Le Sean
Feb 18, 2006
Magazines call me a Rockstar, Girls call me Cockstar

Fag Boy Jim posted:

penalizing you for killing Louis Pan is reason enough to completely reject Shifter

My third playthrough I just followed him around for a while and it was great. It's even greater if you are playing on unrealistic as Hungry Kid JC.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Shifter is worth it just for how loving hilarious it is to kill people with a thrown crowbar to the head (or knock them out with a thrown baton. So sad you can't throw the cattle prod).

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Shifter is worth it just to be able to use Zyme to go into bullettime and hack five UNATCO soldiers to death with a sword in seconds.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Ansob. posted:

Shifter is worth it just for how loving hilarious it is to kill people with a thrown crowbar to the head (or knock them out with a thrown baton. So sad you can't throw the cattle prod).

For a silent takedown toss a crate off a building

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

etalian posted:

You can also goomba enemies. :smuggo:

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

This time I sneaked via the front and freed Gunther. I forgot the UNATCO Chief chided you for messing about the ladies room.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Fuzz posted:

What's the best way to take out Navarre WITHOUT just blowing her up before she gets to Lebedev?

Flamethrower

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?
I knocked Louis Pan out by throwing a vase at his head, then I dumped him in the canal. Shifter really should give you points for that.

Sprite Based
Nov 13, 2004

dance dance sasquatch

etalian posted:

A nonlethal takedown is always the most silent takedown.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Flamethrower

I actually managed to shoot her enough times in the head right as she raised her gun at Lebedev. It seems like if she's already targeting him, she won't kill you as quickly. Lebedev survived.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
Ballistic protection at level 4 seems like I'm cheating. Good thing I saved up three upgrade canisters to do it as soon as possible. :)

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector

Mike the TV posted:

Ballistic protection at level 4 seems like I'm cheating. Good thing I saved up three upgrade canisters to do it as soon as possible. :)

Legs are so much more worth it than ballistic protection.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

fleshweasel posted:

I actually managed to shoot her enough times in the head right as she raised her gun at Lebedev. It seems like if she's already targeting him, she won't kill you as quickly. Lebedev survived.

I don't know if this is new in Shifter or what, but hitting her with the prod stuns her the same as anyone else. If you get your prod out before the conversation starts, and you're fast enough, you can rush over as JC pulls it out again and zap her before she kills Lebedev. After that you just get out your hugest gun, point it at her head, and start shooting wildly (or in my case, beat her futilely with a baton and then die :saddowns:).

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Due to replaying this I decided to rewatch the Human Revolution Trailer.

Don't let us down again Eidos please!

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

i'Am also a buetifule redd panda

I'm still pretty optimistic about DX3. Moreso than Thi4f at least, since they went with a subtitle instead of "Deus 3x"

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

There is a work around to killing Anna. Just leave her some presents at the front of the plane when you're on your way in to talk to Lebedev. One thing I love about Deus Ex is how everyone has to use the entrances and exits just like you.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Jetsetlemming posted:

Thi4f

I thought you were joking but it appears someone--or multiple people--thought this was a cool hip new name for the next game in a franchise that would really click with their target demo.

Only in the Marketing department, folks!

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?
Found something nifty at the gas station. At the very beginning, you have to get the key from the bums (or by the corpse) to open that little drainage tunnel to the station proper. The door you unlock is breakable and pickable, and behind it is a regular unlocked iron bar door. You can use the key to LOCK that door, though, and it's inf strength / inf pick. That, combined with the giant open area with almost nothing in it that you start in, leads me to believe they originally planned for there to be more to do before you get to head up to the gas station and getting the key would have been required, rather than optional, in order to open the barred door.

Just a guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

i'Am also a buetifule redd panda

Carbohydrates posted:

Found something nifty at the gas station. At the very beginning, you have to get the key from the bums (or by the corpse) to open that little drainage tunnel to the station proper. The door you unlock is breakable and pickable, and behind it is a regular unlocked iron bar door. You can use the key to LOCK that door, though, and it's inf strength / inf pick. That, combined with the giant open area with almost nothing in it that you start in, leads me to believe they originally planned for there to be more to do before you get to head up to the gas station and getting the key would have been required, rather than optional, in order to open the barred door.

Just a guess.
While having the keyID assigned to the unlocked second door is unusual, the fact that it's inf/inf is meaningless- Deus Ex doors default to max strength and difficulty when they're first created in the editor, you have to go in their stats and manually make them breakable/pickable. All the difference means is that they added the second door during development.