Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tongsy
Aug 22, 2007

Tongsy posted:

Took this one tonight. Really like the colour of the sky.

Made some edits to this one. I messed with the curves in lightroom to darken the sky and shadows, and then masked the water out of the original version to put into this one to make them a bit brighter

Good changes or bad changes?

Tongsy fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Apr 14, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Tongsy posted:

Made some edits to this one. I messed with the curves in lightroom to darken the sky and shadows, and then masked the water out of the original version to put into this one to make them a bit brighter

Good changes or bad changes?

I personally think that's too much, it looks too saturated now I think. Also you might want to clone out that dot that's almost dead centre in the middle just above the trees.

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl

Interrupting Moss posted:

I think the reds here are way too pink and saturated -- particularly the second one. I'd push those back towards orange and bring the saturation down a little bit.

orange lime fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Apr 14, 2010

fenner
Oct 4, 2008

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
A couple questions for you landscapers. This July I'm going to be venturing out to the Pacific Northwest and plan to do a lot of photography while I'm out there. Right now I'm shooting on a 40D and my widest lens (aside from my 8mm fisheye) is a 20mm Sigma. I'm weighing my options of either renting a 5D or a wider zoom lens, possibly with an ND filter, for my trip and am wondering what might be the best route to go for this one.

I'm planning on hitting a few national parks and hopefully venturing my way down to Crater Lake in Oregon. Anyone from that area have any suggestions of awesome places to go for hiking/photos?

fenner
Oct 4, 2008

rockcity posted:

A couple questions for you landscapers. This July I'm going to be venturing out to the Pacific Northwest and plan to do a lot of photography while I'm out there. Right now I'm shooting on a 40D and my widest lens (aside from my 8mm fisheye) is a 20mm Sigma. I'm weighing my options of either renting a 5D or a wider zoom lens, possibly with an ND filter, for my trip and am wondering what might be the best route to go for this one.

I'm planning on hitting a few national parks and hopefully venturing my way down to Crater Lake in Oregon. Anyone from that area have any suggestions of awesome places to go for hiking/photos?

Do you have to rent? I'm kinda against renting since it just seems like a waste of money to me. But if you have to rent I guess just go for the 5D, why not?

If you can buy then the most used wide angles are the sigma 10-20, tokina 11-16 and canon 10-22. The canon lens is overpriced in my opinion and I would definitely look into the sigma/tokina, I desperately want the tokina myself.

e: another 2

fenner fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Apr 14, 2010

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

rockcity posted:

Wider isn't always better. Some of my better landscape photos were shot on 50mm equivalent lenses in various formats. It makes you either find a more imaginative angle to fit things in or it makes you focus on the key features of the landscape. With ultra wide angles, you run the risk of having too much in the frame.

Something like a 17-50 can be surprisingly useful for landscape photography.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

fenner posted:

Do you have to rent? I'm kinda against renting since it just seems like a waste of money to me. But if you have to rent I guess just go for the 5D, why not?

If you can buy then the most used wide angles are the sigma 10-20, tokina 11-16 and canon 10-22. The canon lens is overpriced in my opinion and I would definitely look into the sigma/tokina, I desperately want the tokina myself.

I don't mind renting, especially when it's a lens I definitely can't afford to buy at the moment. I've rented a 35L twice now. The lenses I was looking at are only like $40 to rent for a week and the company I go through is local so I don't pay for shipping. I've considered looking into buying the Sigma or Tokina, I'm just not sure I can justify the purchase right now, but we'll see.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

rockcity posted:

I'm pretty depressed right now that I've lived in Seattle my entire life, but can't come up with any killer "off the beaten path" spots. Mt. Rainier and Olympic National Park are obviously killer though. I've also seen many nice shots from the coast of the Olympic Peninsula, although I can't give any specific guidance as to any specific locations. I also really love driving the North Cascades Highway, but I could see that being a bit out of your way depending on how much time you have on your hands.

As to your other question, I was just thinking yesterday about how much I used to want a full frame camera so I could "go wider." However, when I started looking into it a little more I realized that with all the recent lenses designed for crop sensors that "going wide" on a crop is not any harder or more expensive then with a full frame anymore. Honestly, my Tamron 17-50mm only has been able to do everything I need for Landscapes 90% of the time and the other 10% I've been able to stitch multiple exposures for the same effect.

Cross_
Aug 22, 2008

fenner posted:

That's an awesome action shot. Care to elaborate on what kind of post you did ?

fenner
Oct 4, 2008

Cross_ posted:

That's an awesome action shot. Care to elaborate on what kind of post you did ?

Not a lot, I never really have a plan with post or a certain style that i'm aiming for. Anyway, fuckloads of fill light before opening the file, general curves layer affecting the entire picture, curves luminance mask affecting the darks, vibrance and an unsharp mask.

Col. Mustard
Nov 26, 2000

Initech Administrator
Some recent stuff I shot in Yosemite and Folsom.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.

Col. Mustard posted:

Wow, I love every one. The fog in the first one is great. And the sunlit tree is so vibrant.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Col. Mustard posted:

I agree, these are all excellent. Good job going to a place that's been pretty much shot to death (Yosemite) and coming back with photos that look original. I went Joshua Tree last month and am going back through the photos and even though I'm happy with quite a few of them they just feel generic to me.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
I went for a walk in the forest today with a 17-50 and an 80-200. While it didn't yield any great photos, it was an interesting exercise in composition in that I found that using the 80-200 forced me to find actual subjects to photograph whereas with the 17-50 I tended to take broader, more sweeping photos that weren't nearly as interesting because they lacked a central focus to make them interesting.

fenner
Oct 4, 2008

HPL posted:

I went for a walk in the forest today with a 17-50 and an 80-200. While it didn't yield any great photos, it was an interesting exercise in composition in that I found that using the 80-200 forced me to find actual subjects to photograph whereas with the 17-50 I tended to take broader, more sweeping photos that weren't nearly as interesting because they lacked a central focus to make them interesting.

I've tried this by taking my 50mm 1.8 instead of my 18-55 and shooting at the wide end... I never come back with anything I like. It's a possibility I should try this more often to see if it will improve my composition, but I could miss out on some great shots whilst doing it.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

fenner posted:

I've tried this by taking my 50mm 1.8 instead of my 18-55 and shooting at the wide end... I never come back with anything I like. It's a possibility I should try this more often to see if it will improve my composition, but I could miss out on some great shots whilst doing it.

Take both lenses just in case. It's not like the trees are going to go running off while you switch lenses.

I think one thing I liked about shooting longer was that I could get much better background separation at f/2.8 with a longer lens. At 17mm, f/2.8 just looks like a blurry lens. At 50mm it starts to look nice but at 80mm and longer I start to get that great shallow and smooth depth of field like when I shoot medium format that really makes a subject pop out against a busy background like a dense forest. It instantly draws the eye to where you want it to go.

HPL fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Apr 19, 2010

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

I snapped this with a point and shoot about six years ago, and I've been kicking myself for not bringing my SLR on that trip ever since. Any suggestions for processing? The full size isn't raw.

Col. Mustard
Nov 26, 2000

Initech Administrator

BeastOfExmoor posted:

I agree, these are all excellent. Good job going to a place that's been pretty much shot to death (Yosemite) and coming back with photos that look original. I went Joshua Tree last month and am going back through the photos and even though I'm happy with quite a few of them they just feel generic to me.

Thanks guys. These were from a photography workshop I attended with a local pro. I feel really lucky to have such great landscapes virtually in my backyard.

I did take some famous shots at Yosemite too.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Col. Mustard posted:

I feel really lucky to have such great landscapes virtually in my backyard.
Where do you live?

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

fenner
Oct 4, 2008
nicely polished images dread

PeterT
Apr 10, 2010
My photos are nowhere near as accomplished as the rest of those in this thread, but I don't think we've seen enough of the Alps yet, so here are a couple of mine:

This is my favourite of the entire set, and I know I have some horrific problems with CA around the patches of snow. Alas, its not something iPhoto can deal with - I'll be upgrading to Aperture soon, I promise!

Could have done better with the clouds - still a newb with the camera :-)

Overexposed clouds again - I had no idea what HDR was back then.

scottch
Oct 18, 2003
"It appears my wee-wee's been stricken with rigor mortis."

PeterT posted:

My photos are nowhere near as accomplished as the rest of those in this thread, but I don't think we've seen enough of the Alps yet, so here are a couple of mine:

This is my favourite of the entire set, and I know I have some horrific problems with CA around the patches of snow. Alas, its not something iPhoto can deal with - I'll be upgrading to Aperture soon, I promise!

Could have done better with the clouds - still a newb with the camera :-)

Overexposed clouds again - I had no idea what HDR was back then.

Those clouds are fine. If it were any darker out they might look a little overexposed, but they fit just right as they are.

And you can skip the HDR step in your learning, it's generally poo poo. Use a tripod, and make just two exposures--one for sky, one for land--and then composite them together with something like Photoshop or the free GIMP.

Really, though, those are very fine photos. A few tweaks in something like Lightroom or Aperture is all they'd need to polish them up.

I'm not sure why I chose the weirder, longer exposure of this spot before, but I much prefer this one as it required minimal post.

scottch fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Apr 27, 2010

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
Haven't viewed this thread in a while so I am playing catch up.

Reichstag posted:

Making rocks look sexy.

Without your explanation I probably wouldn't have given this a second look, but with it, I love this photo... haha, nice job!

spf3million posted:

Chinese haze: ruining contrast since the dawn of photography.

If you felt like going back to reprocess this you could try upping the black levels for everything except the waterfall area for some added contrast... this is a beautiful setting and still a nice picture.

octane2 posted:

This is awesome, love the water and mist. I like your processing choices.

northward posted:

Cool setting but I don't think it looks good when you have strong shadows dominating the bottom of a photo.

fenner posted:

Ahhhh, this is gorgeous! Where is this at??

fenner
Oct 4, 2008

RangerScum posted:

Ahhhh, this is gorgeous! Where is this at??

Thanks, It's the Three Sisters (the three rocks at the left) in the Blue Mountains, Australia.

Cross_
Aug 22, 2008

a foolish pianist posted:

I snapped this with a point and shoot about six years ago, and I've been kicking myself for not bringing my SLR on that trip ever since. Any suggestions for processing? The full size isn't raw.
Do you have a larger version of this somewhere? I'd be intereseted in trying my hands on it.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Cross_ posted:

Do you have a larger version of this somewhere? I'd be intereseted in trying my hands on it.

The original is here: http://www.dataintensive.org/hosting/sierrasunrise.jpg

It was taken on a Canon point and shoot from 2003-ish.

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!

Whitezombi fucked around with this message at 05:40 on May 3, 2010

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR
Apparently there are waterfalls in Illinois.

fenner
Oct 4, 2008

MrBlandAverage posted:

Absolutely fantastic. I think the rock on the left could do with a tiny bit more space, but this is just a nitpick, this is a beautiful landscape.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

MrBlandAverage posted:

Looks like Garden of the Gods. I fell off a cliff there.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

MrBlandAverage posted:

Looks awesome. Wish it wasn't a 4 hour drive. :(

I only ever posted photos from my trip to Thailand in the trip report thread I created, but I figured I'd throw a few in here. These are a few months old. I honestly have no clue how I was able to be there for 9 days and only take a handful of photos that I still really like, but that's life I guess.

I blame Joey Lawrence and his work with native tribes. I SHOULD HAVE DONE THAT DAMNIT.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

RangerScum posted:

Looks awesome. Wish it wasn't a 4 hour drive. :(
I thought you were in Champaign? (Per the roll call thread.) Mattheissen is only 2 hours from there...

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

MrBlandAverage posted:

I thought you were in Champaign? (Per the roll call thread.) Mattheissen is only 2 hours from there...

Oh, yes you are correct.

I google "Garden of the Gods" per Torgeaux and it told me it was in the Shawnee National Forest downstate. Cool deal!

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

RangerScum posted:

Oh, yes you are correct.

I google "Garden of the Gods" per Torgeaux and it told me it was in the Shawnee National Forest downstate. Cool deal!

Yeah, I was just guessing based on photo, then saw it was id'ed in the flickr link. Sorry to mislead.

Cross_
Aug 22, 2008

a foolish pianist posted:

The original is here: http://www.dataintensive.org/hosting/sierrasunrise.jpg

It was taken on a Canon point and shoot from 2003-ish.

I didn't want to change too much, so here's a slightly edited version. Hope you like it:

Click here for the full 2000x1500 image.

Changes:
In Lightroom I adjusted white balance based on clouds and then warmed it up a little. Effective temperature change was +4 magenta. Increased exposure by 0.85 and then dialed back the blown out highlights with 96 recovery. Contrast was increased a bit- value of 12. I wanted the image to have a sharper look and thus moved clarity all the way to 100% and added a medium amount (48%) of vibrance.
There was a bit of chroma noise (most visible in the mountains on the left). Setting the slider to 7 got rid of it. At this point there was still quite a bit of luminance noise left which I did not touch for fear of blurring the image too much. Switching to Photoshop I tried a couple of things to get rid of that offensive glare on the right. What I ended up doing is creating a copy of the image, moving it to the right by 10% and scaling it up by ca. 10%. Since only the nondistinct hill was affected I basically covered the glare with a darker portion of the hill, then brushed the layer mask on there to only cover the glare part on the mountain and lake. At this point I got bored so I didn't take care of the lower right glare :P
Still in PS, the sky got made more contrasty and blue, the bushes at the bottom had their greens increased and an unsharp filter was applied to the bottom half. Image was flattened and back in Lightroom I pushed the luminance noise reduction to 100% to get rid of more of the noise in the shadows on the left.

Cross_ fucked around with this message at 06:33 on May 4, 2010

ebonyflesh
Apr 28, 2010

by elpintogrande

I think it could benefit from some editing but I wouldn't know where to start. :)

ebonyflesh fucked around with this message at 12:51 on May 5, 2010

octane2
Jun 4, 2007
Interstellar Overdrive
Cheers for the compliments re: my waterfall image.

Here's a couple more to open my New Zealand, 2010 - Part 1 campaign.

Ohau Falls are found approximately 30 km north of the beautiful seaside township of Kaikoura.

You might think, "another waterfall". But, that's just it -- this place isn't just a placeholder for another waterfall. What makes this place special is the presence of colonies of baby seals -- the pool that has formed under the falls is a nursery and playground for these little critters. They make their way up from the ocean to play away from any natural predators (there are whales off the coast of Kaikoura) whilst mum and dad are out fishing and capturing meals. These beautiful little creatures are inquisitive, curious and just don't sit still. They are happy to come right up to you and give you cute glances which make you want to reach out and touch them.

I made this image under some interesting lighting conditions -- the image was made about an hour and-a-half prior to sunset. The falls and pool are nestled in a rainforest area; once the sun gets on the west of the mountain it gets dark, very quickly. I waded out into the water making sure I wasn't getting in the seals' way or intruding too much, to get a little extra reach in order to frame the scene as I had anticipated. I kept having to dry my circular polarizer as the splashes from the little ones doing their thing kept getting spray on the camera.

RAW blend for water and shadowed regions.

Canon EOS 5D Mark II, Canon EF 17-40mm f/4L USM
2s f/11.0 at 40.0mm iso100

The first rays of dawn begin to ignite Mount Tasman and Mount Cook, approximately 20 km in the distance, whilst the crystal clear steely mirror image is reflected on the calm and tranquil waters of Lake Matheson.

I almost thought that this morning would be a write off as there was an enormous amount of mist and low-lying cloud blocking the view. Just as I thought it was all over, the clouds seemed to disperse right before first light.

This image was made on an incredibly cold morning.

Note the first rays on all the tallest peaks and the waterfall in the distance.

Canon EOS 5D Mark II, Canon EF 17-40mm f/4L USM
2.5s f/11.0 at 40.0mm iso100

Click the images to view them on a black background so shadow detail is revealed.

H

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
^^^
That picture is gorgeous. There's so much going on in a good way.

ebonyflesh posted:

I think it could benefit from some editing but I wouldn't know where to start. :)

It could use some work with masking and blending the exposure. The sky needs more contrast as is a touch overexposed and the foreground is well underexposed.