Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

PaintVagrant posted:

This is awesome, but I bet he has an airbrushed picture of a unicorn and dragon on the side of his minivan to go along with his hippy space-pansy dress robe.

quote:

Loving the muted tones here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

I think I might be on to something, but I need some input:

Click here for the full 779x499 image.

Click here for the full 628x450 image.

The one-armed Outrider is just for scale. I've got five more, so if it looks right the question becomes - Should I use them for Outriders/Pistoliers, knights, or Wood Elf riders?

!amicable
Jan 20, 2007

Cthulu Carl posted:

I think I might be on to something, but I need some input:

Click here for the full 779x499 image.

Click here for the full 628x450 image.

The one-armed Outrider is just for scale. I've got five more, so if it looks right the question becomes - Should I use them for Outriders/Pistoliers, knights, or Wood Elf riders?

Holy gently caress this is the best army idea ever. Start an exodite army now.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

!amicable posted:

Holy gently caress this is the best army idea ever. Start an exodite army now.

Fuuuuuuuuuuck. That did not occur to me.

Now I'm gonna have to A) place a few bitz orders and B) see what other dinosaurs the hobby store has for tanks and poo poo.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
On the theme of cool Eldar, my friend painted these and I think they rock.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Welp, I wish you guys had posted all these awesome pictures back when I was deciding on color schemes. :suicide:

Just kidding, I've not got a much better idea of what I'm trying to achieve. Thanks, Stalin :ussr:

bhsman fucked around with this message at 00:41 on May 3, 2010

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I wish I could settle on a scheme for my Eldar. Ever since the latest codex I've been trying to find something that works and nothing feels quite right.

I've tried Ulthwe (black is both irritating and boring, especially on their vehicles) and Biel Tan (white is a dick and I can't freehand those vines at all). I have a Saim Hann scheme that's easy enough to do and doesn't look poo poo, although it is a bit cartoony, but I'm not sure it's something I want to do across an army.
Iyanden are cool, I like the look/theme of the wraith units, and I think I could pull off the yellow, but I don't know how I'd make their vehicles look good.

I've tried some non-codex colours but I just can't seem to find the right balance between cartoony and cool. I seem to be lacking the artistic creativity that results in something, like my friend's purple guys, that looks good and translates from the infantry to the vehicles. :(

Looking online for inspiration is a bit of a dead end because Eldar seem to be either amazing and/or esoteric, or sprayed silver all over by a spastic.

TLDR I am an indecisive, uncreative arse.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

bhsman, don't feel too bad about washing out your Farseer with clearcoat. I think I just did the same to a Land Raider. :ohdear:

Edit: Yep. Grayed as gently caress.

So I've got this paint-on stuff that I might try to use to fix it. Do you have to do this right away, or wait until it's dried for a couple hours, or what?

Fix fucked around with this message at 01:28 on May 3, 2010

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

TLDR I am an indecisive, uncreative arse.

:hf:

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
PaintVagrant, just noticed a couple of things on your new site.

1. Under Basing Products, the basic kit has 2 drop-down menu options for static grass, but the description says you only get one.

2. Small typo under Commissions in the Display description:

quote:

Included:
- assembly/paint
- ballast/static grass/barbed wire/water effects/etc, or a resin base of your choice from the warstore/wherever I order your model. When I order the model, Ill order the bases if I don’t already own them.
(Should be I'll.)

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
mother loving space sharks :rock:

Click here for the full 1200x798 image.

Doesn't look so... harsh in person.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Christ. Check out the greying on this from the matte coat:

Before:

After:

The lascannon barrel tips and the hatches are supposed to be just straight tin bitz, but they're completely greyed out.

So I've applied some of this stuff:

And we'll see how that goes.

Fix fucked around with this message at 02:49 on May 3, 2010

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
Like PV said before, a light dusting is really all you need.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

I kinda like the look of the sponsons with that dusting, honestly. Looks like they've been on a winter planet or somethig.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

MaliciousOnion posted:

PaintVagrant, just noticed a couple of things on your new site.

1. Under Basing Products, the basic kit has 2 drop-down menu options for static grass, but the description says you only get one.

2. Small typo under Commissions in the Display description:

(Should be I'll.)

Good catch, thanks man

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

Fix posted:

bhsman, don't feel too bad about washing out your Farseer with clearcoat. I think I just did the same to a Land Raider. :ohdear:

Edit: Yep. Grayed as gently caress.

So I've got this paint-on stuff that I might try to use to fix it. Do you have to do this right away, or wait until it's dried for a couple hours, or what?
If the varnish skunked up it's already dry. Try putting some water on the ruined parts - if the grey clears up it's fixable by revarnishing.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

MasterSlowPoke posted:

If the varnish skunked up it's already dry. Try putting some water on the ruined parts - if the grey clears up it's fixable by revarnishing.

The paint-on varnish I put on there seemed to do the trick, mostly. A little bit of touchup here and there, and it will be good as new again.

I also put on some satin-gloss over the blue. So you can see how matte the Cryla stuff dries on the black and metals. Freakin' love that stuff.

That way it matches up with the rest of my Heavy Support for this army:

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.
here's my WIP tson color scheme

I think I'm going to change up the bottom robey part as well as the gold. Not really sure on the base either.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

yum posted:

Not really sure on the base either.

I'd probably go with a desert base. Fits with the whole Egypt-esque Thousand Son thing, and would also contrast the dark blue.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Brainstorming Wraithlord ideas. How does this look to you guys:

Thinking of doing a similar conversion for my Wraithlord. The alternative would be to mess around and go for the weapons mounted on his forearms and going for a Dire Avengers Exarch look.

Thoughts?

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

All we have to lose is our chains

bhsman posted:

Thoughts?

Looks pretty badass.

Check out my awesome bright lance/missile launcher combi rifle. *shoots you with shuriken*

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

ASK ME ABOUT TONING MY FINE ASS DWARVEN BOOTY BY RUNNING FROM THE COPS OUTSIDE THAT ELF KINDERGARTEN

BEHOLD THE DONG OF THE DWARVES! THE DWARVEN DONG IS COMING!
I've always liked the shape of eldar missile launchers.

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

All we have to lose is our chains
Where can I get some heads from for my Errant Knights? I want all my Errants to have bare heads, meaning I'm looking for some place to get younger-looking, clean shaven heads. Ive got 3 from random kits I can use, meaning I need another 5.

R.S. Gumby
Jul 26, 2007

Utterly useless.

Anphrax posted:

e: Please post your favorite painted landspeeder for inspiration!

I have a few:

:v:

Bobx66
Feb 11, 2002

We all fell into the pit

R.S. Gumby posted:

I have a few:

Holy crap thats fantastic.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I think the new Wraithlord plastic kit is one of the best they've ever made. No matter how you set it up, it always looks imposing, terrifying, and fantastic.

Cue 30 images of them with boobs, fallen to chaos, etc. to prove me wrong

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

No Pun Intended posted:

I've always liked the shape of eldar missile launchers.

I wonder why...:dong:

Myopic
Mar 27, 2005

It is only logical to bang one's head

bhsman posted:

Thoughts?

I think you should go for it, but only if you convert the left hand to a thumbs up

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

bhsman posted:

Brainstorming Wraithlord ideas. How does this look to you guys:

Thinking of doing a similar conversion for my Wraithlord. The alternative would be to mess around and go for the weapons mounted on his forearms and going for a Dire Avengers Exarch look.

Thoughts?

I was thinking something similar, except underslung under one arm with a side mount for the other, so my WL could be a dark reaper :whatup:

Teadrinker
Oct 21, 2008

Miles O'Brian posted:

Where can I get some heads from for my Errant Knights? I want all my Errants to have bare heads, meaning I'm looking for some place to get younger-looking, clean shaven heads. Ive got 3 from random kits I can use, meaning I need another 5.

Want me to have a look through my 40k and fantasy bits boxes for you?

dpack_1
Mar 23, 2009

Let another's wounds be your warning
I have nowhere else to post this so it's going up here.

I just forked out a fair chunk of change for this steampunk weapon.

The barrels / pressure chambers are really rather badly painted and i'd love to redo them but i'd probably gently caress them up even worse so it's just going to stay as it is til i feel confident it's something i could realistically fix.

NecronSchmecron
Apr 29, 2009

Ah, phooey!
WOW! That's pretty dang cool! I'm not huge into steampunk, but I really appreciate the aesthetic of it.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Ive decided that I'm (probably) going to go with Saim-Hann and actually get some space mincers painted.
I'm using a white UC, basecoating blood red, blacklining/shading with dark flesh, and highlighting blazing orange then vomit brown.

My question is, to add a bit of richness to the red, more on vehicles/walkers then men, should I glaze with dark flesh or something like that ?

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Ive decided that I'm (probably) going to go with Saim-Hann and actually get some space mincers painted.
I'm using a white UC, basecoating blood red, blacklining/shading with dark flesh, and highlighting blazing orange then vomit brown.

My question is, to add a bit of richness to the red, more on vehicles/walkers then men, should I glaze with dark flesh or something like that ?

You can glaze w thinned red ink if you want. Personally I just try to keep the blending to a minimum on the highlights, and instead blend in a few layers of shades.

The more highlighting, the more orange/pink it gets

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Yeah, I'm really wanting to stay away from going too orange or pink.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Yeah, I'm really wanting to stay away from going too orange or pink.

If you keep the edge highlight pretty small, blazing orange works pretty well without any higher step, imo

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

dpack_1 posted:

I have nowhere else to post this so it's going up here.

I just forked out a fair chunk of change for this steampunk weapon.

The barrels / pressure chambers are really rather badly painted and i'd love to redo them but i'd probably gently caress them up even worse so it's just going to stay as it is til i feel confident it's something i could realistically fix.

The Warhammer thread: where you can safely admit your worst and most wasteful hobbies without fear of criticism.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

I just paid $18 for 5 sets of Terminator shoulderpads.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
That's actually a decent price.

this fukken hobby

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Can I get some tips on painting OSL? I've got a good idea for this month's Irongob ingredient, but I'm afraid I won't be able to pull it off.

• Locked thread