Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

Concatenation posted:

I'm thinking of sticking some tape on the back of my guitar necks at the 7th, 12th and other frets to act as a feelable fret marker so i can flail around like a retard while playing. Does anyone know of some tape that won't leave hideous gunk on the back of the neck or stain the wood if I ever need to remove it?

Please don't do this. Even if you find tape that won't leave gunk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Concatenation
Jul 23, 2005

Your human mentality cries out for vengeance and thrives on the violence you say you can hardly endure.
This is going to be some sort of lead-in to a lecture about how I haven't learned how to play guitar properly if I need to mark the frets, isn't it? I mean I saw Behemoth live a few weeks ago and both their guitarists do it, and I still have to actually learn to play the song, so it's not like it's acting as anything more than a tactile aide.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

Concatenation posted:

This is going to be some sort of lead-in to a lecture about how I haven't learned how to play guitar properly if I need to mark the frets, isn't it?

Yes.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Concatenation posted:

This is going to be some sort of lead-in to a lecture about how I haven't learned how to play guitar properly if I need to mark the frets, isn't it?

To be honest, when I first read your post, my inner guitar-snob flared up and started screaming "Look at that silly pleb and his confounded shenanigans well I never!" but then I thought about it a little more and decided that it's fine. So there, I give you my permission to do this without losing any of your Good Guitar Player Cred. Carry on.

No idea what kind of tape would be best though. What kind of guitar is it? There are lots of different ways to finish the back of a guitar's neck. What kind of finish does your guitar's neck have? Is it a natural finish? Laquered? Painted and Laquered? Matte?

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Apr 26, 2010

Ninja Toast!
Apr 22, 2009
Well, if you leave it on long enough/in the heat practically any tape will leave tape goo on stuff, but there's ways to get that off usually.

Painters tape is basically supposed to not leave crap behind, trade off is that it isn't terribly sticky. I've used it to mark stuff I've brought to public events where there might be more of them so that I get mine back with no ill effects, but those are typically plastic.

Still probably your best bet. http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/Scotch-BlueBrand/Scotch-Blue/

I don't care if you learned to play properly or not. Have fun.

Furry Neo
Nov 18, 2003

Whoa.
Just saw this (Epiphone Dot Studio) on sale at a nearby pawn shop for $200 used; seems a bit high as they're occasionally marked down to that much new.

Would it be better to ask for a lower price, or to ask them to throw in a gig bag or something?

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.

Furry Neo posted:

Just saw this (Epiphone Dot Studio) on sale at a nearby pawn shop for $200 used; seems a bit high as they're occasionally marked down to that much new.

Would it be better to ask for a lower price, or to ask them to throw in a gig bag or something?

Look at the loving scratches on that thing. Even Guitar Center couldn't get away with charging $200 for that. Not unless it had upgraded pickups. Haggle to the best of your abilities, but knowing Pawn Shops, you'll get nothing.

No. 9
Feb 8, 2005

by R. Guyovich
What kind of Dot doesn't have 4 pots? Mine has 4 but it's an older one. Agreed about the scratches though.

dookie
Aug 28, 2003

I have a Mac. I want to run windows VSTs in Ableton Live 8. Is there a way to use parallels or VMWare to run the VST, and then be able to still use Live 8 in OSX to use it?

DrChu
May 14, 2002

No. 9 posted:

What kind of Dot doesn't have 4 pots? Mine has 4 but it's an older one. Agreed about the scratches though.

The cheapest kind - http://www.guitarcenter.com/Epiphone-Dot-Studio-Semi-Hollow-Electric-Guitar-103719142-i1168523.gc

ChristsDickWorship
Dec 7, 2004

Annihilate your demons

Ninja Toast! posted:

Well, if you leave it on long enough/in the heat practically any tape will leave tape goo on stuff, but there's ways to get that off usually.

Painters tape is basically supposed to not leave crap behind, trade off is that it isn't terribly sticky. I've used it to mark stuff I've brought to public events where there might be more of them so that I get mine back with no ill effects, but those are typically plastic.

Still probably your best bet. http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/Scotch-BlueBrand/Scotch-Blue/

I don't care if you learned to play properly or not. Have fun.
I think spike tape would be pretty ideal. The adhesive might stick around if you left the same piece on for a few dozen sweaty shows but if you changed it regularly or went at it with a cloth it would come up. It's the kind of tape historic theatres and whatnot will let you stick on their floors and walls. Spike tape and gaff tape come in lots of colors, stick way better than painters and artists tape and don't leave significant residue. They're also cloth so they are tactile which might help for this intended purpose.

Everything musicians use duct tape for they should probably actually use gaffer's tape for, but it's way more expensive. Way better for muffling drum heads and making quick fixes that will be properly addressed later.

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
My stratocaster has a loose nut that will slide out of its slot when I bend strings. What type of glue should I use to keep it in place?

Ferrous Wheel
Aug 18, 2007

"This is not only a security risk but we occasionally get pigeons roosting in the space as a result."
Regular superglue is the industry standard.

Bebop
Aug 29, 2004
satellite of love
What's the best website/forum dedicated to ableton and electronic music composition?

No. 9
Feb 8, 2005

by R. Guyovich
There's a really dedicated Live thread here in ML.

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Laying in the forest, by the water
Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
Anybody know of someone who can provide me with a nice custom headstock decal (waterslide)? I emailed the most well-known user at ReRanch, but I guess he doesn't check his mail very often. I know there are people on Ebay, but their prices are kinda high...and you only get one. I need at least two -- I can't risk $20 on something a draft could mess up.

It'd be cool to do my own, but I don't own a badass metallic ink-capable printer or even a laser one.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP
Is there any real use for C flat major other than writing for harps? It seems like something I'd never use, other than to challenge myself while sight-reading.

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.
I'm looking at getting some monitors for my pseudo-studio use. Since I don't make any money doing this kind of stuff, I want something cheap, but I think the point of using studio monitors to begin with is so you can work on sounds knowing your speakers aren't biased towards any one frequency. I had previously looked at some KRK Rokit 6s, but I've always wanted to try my hand at making one of parts-express.com's speaker kits, so I thought maybe I could kill two birds with one stone. I was looking at this kit because I'm much more comfortable with that price, and they describe it as "on the warm side of neutral", which I think is good (I could absolutely be wrong.) What I'm concerned with most is that I have no clue about any of this. Do I need a powered monitor or a passive monitor? Am I just asking for trouble?

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

Gorilla Salsa posted:

Do I need a powered monitor or a passive monitor? Am I just asking for trouble?

You can go either way, the difference is that passive monitors require a separate power amp to drive them, while powered monitors have their own amp circuitry and you can directly feed them a line level signal from a mixer or interface.

I don't know anything about that kit you linked but it looks like it could be a cool project if you're comfortable with the soldering etc. involved.

As a rule of thumb, with passive monitors you want the speakers to be double the wattage of the power amp (so you can drive them plenty hard and not worry about blow-outs); those speakers are 100 watts @ 8 ohms so you would want an amp that provides 50 watts per channel @ 8 ohms.

ATwoSlotToaster
Nov 6, 2004

You're toast!
Looking for some help with electronic percussion:

I'm trying to cue a sound sample with my electronic pedal. I use an Alesis module but i'm not sure if I can get this to do what I want. I'm just looking for an easy way to do this, doesn't have to be through the module, just looking for any ideas.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

You're both fuckin' banned!
Anyone here used to working with Boss 8-tracks?

I don't seem able to record things, which is a bit of a fundamental problem. I hook it up via the USB but the folder's empty. It never has anything recorded on it for me to extract, even though it seems to be recording when I actually, you know, record stuff. Though I have no easy way to check. Anyone have any theories?

dr. madlove
Jul 21, 2008
hiall what chord would this be?

e-0
B-0
G-6
D-7
A-x
E-x

Alakaiser
Jan 3, 2007

And the Lord Josh said, "Blessed are those cast away by Belichick, theirs is the kingdom of Denver." (Tebow 1:25)

dr. madlove posted:

hiall what chord would this be?

e-0
B-0
G-6
D-7
A-x
E-x

You've got A, C#, B, E, so...Aadd9, if I'm thinking this through right.

edited (twice) for stupidity

Alakaiser fucked around with this message at 01:48 on May 2, 2010

Ninja Toast!
Apr 22, 2009
That is correct according to GuitarToolkit (worth the 10 bucks, if anyone is thinking about it)

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
http://tindeck.com/listen/decm

What effect/combination of effects is the guitarist using to achieve the "squishy" fast muted playing? If it matters, he uses a Fender Mustang.

The Mystery Date
Aug 2, 2005
STRAGHT FOOL IN A GAY POOL (MUPPETS ROCK)

Achtane posted:

What effect/combination of effects is the guitarist using to achieve the "squishy" fast muted playing? If it matters, he uses a Fender Mustang.

I could be wrong but it sounds like a single coil guitar with a little bit of overdrive and a decent amount of compression. He could just be whacking the poo poo out of the instrument I guess, but in the slower parts it has the punchiness of high compression.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

The Mystery Date posted:

I could be wrong but it sounds like a single coil guitar with a little bit of overdrive and a decent amount of compression. He could just be whacking the poo poo out of the instrument I guess, but in the slower parts it has the punchiness of high compression.

Compressor you say? I think that just moved up a spot in my list of poo poo to buy.

The Mystery Date
Aug 2, 2005
STRAGHT FOOL IN A GAY POOL (MUPPETS ROCK)
I personally don't like compression as a pedal effect, but a lot of good things have been said about the Barber Tone Press here, and since most Barber pedals sound delicious I feel ok recommending it.

A question of my own: I've got an Ibanez RG1570 that I want to sell because I don't really use it(had a metal phase with floyd fever years ago). It's an '06 or '07 made in Japan (one of the last Team J-crafts) and has a mirage red finish that they don't make anymore. As such, I feel like it may hold value better than newer models (which are now made only in Korea). If I were to sell this on craigslist, would it be reasonable to ask $700? It goes for $1000 new. I don't need to get rid of it quickly or anything, but I'd still like to sell it within a month or two. I really don't know how normal used pricing works, because every time I've bought something used it's been insanely cheap (like 30% of the new price). Hopefully that's not what it takes to sell something in a decent amount of time.

The Mystery Date fucked around with this message at 07:24 on May 2, 2010

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.

The Mystery Date posted:

I personally don't like compression as a pedal effect, but a lot of good things have been said about the Barber Tone Press here, and since most Barber pedals sound delicious I feel ok recommending it.
If I'm not mistaken, the joy of the Barber Tone Press is that it doesn't give that squashed out sound that he's looking for. If I'm wrong, go for the tone press. If I'm right, go for the Philosopher's Tone, Achtane/Epi Lepi.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

The Mystery Date posted:

A question of my own: I've got an Ibanez RG1570 that I want to sell because I don't really use it(had a metal phase with floyd fever years ago). It's an '06 or '07 made in Japan (one of the last Team J-crafts) and has a mirage red finish that they don't make anymore. As such, I feel like it may hold value better than newer models (which are now made only in Korea). If I were to sell this on craigslist, would it be reasonable to ask $700? It goes for $1000 new.

Go ahead and throw it up there to see, but in my experience everyone on Craigslist is a cheap piece of poo poo. Watch a few of them on Ebay and see how much they sell for. I think you'll get more money on Ebay.

Speaking of Craigslist, I want to get into a band. Is the "musicians" section worth dealing with? I see lots of bands needing guitarists, but the ads always sound really dumb. Like, "our sound is mostly influenced by Metallica, U2, and Blink-182" (direct quote) or having tons of spelling errors. Is it really that bad out there or am I just a snob?

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.

rt4 posted:

Is it really that bad out there or am I just a snob?
It's really that bad. The ones I laugh at the most are the "bands" who "already have a guitarist, we just need a drummer, bassist, keyboard, singer, and 2nd guitarist."

That's not a band, buddy.

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
Thanks for the info.

amotea
Mar 23, 2008
Grimey Drawer
Can I record myself playing the guitar with the following hardware:
- Electric guitar
- M-Audio Audiophile USB interface, which has left and right jack unbalanced (what does this mean?) inputs
- Amp with jack out (and in ofc.)

I figured maybe I can just hook the amp out up to either the left or the right input on the interface, but I'm not sure if this is the right way to do it. Maybe I need a mono jack to stereo jack splitter/adapter?

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer

amotea posted:

Can I record myself playing the guitar with the following hardware:
- Electric guitar
- M-Audio Audiophile USB interface, which has left and right jack unbalanced (what does this mean?) inputs
- Amp with jack out (and in ofc.)

I figured maybe I can just hook the amp out up to either the left or the right input on the interface, but I'm not sure if this is the right way to do it. Maybe I need a mono jack to stereo jack splitter/adapter?

Yes you can. You should be able to just plug the amp headphone out into the left input on the m-audio, there is no real need to go into both l and r as nothing will be stereo anyway. You could also just skip the amp and plug the guitar straight into the audiophile and use some sort of digital effects like amplitube (30 day demo here http://www.ikmultimedia.com/amplitube/download/ ). You can use something like Reaper http://reaper.fm/ to do the recording.

amotea
Mar 23, 2008
Grimey Drawer
Thanks bro.

SSJ2 Goku Wilders
Mar 24, 2010
It's been a while with no answer, so I thought I'd ask again:

What do you guys think of combining a big effect pedal's (BOSS Me-70) 'Preamp' section and the gain/overdrive that comes with that, with another distortion pedal on top of that that has a different sound?

Often when I do this, the sound comes out muffled, like the bass and mids are being 'capped' in some way. I don't know how else to explain it. But recently I've been combining these effects and have found a pretty cool guitar tone. When I boost the mids too much, I still get that muffled tone, but if I keep it a bit conservative, I can get a really nice almost fuzz-like tone that's great for fast runs.

What are your opinions on this? Is this a big no-no? I find that if I just run a pedal over the JC120 (clean) channel of my Cube, it comes out tinny and powerless unless I boost the volume quite a bit (more than my neighbors can tolerate).

Pannus
Mar 14, 2004

There's nothing wrong with combining different dirt pedals (or amp and pedal dirt for that matter), just experiment until you get a tone you like.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Achtane posted:

The Mustang is definitely coming through in the sound, as the tone is very distinctly coming from a single-coil pickuped instrument.

Honestly, it doesn't really sound like he's using many effects at all. He's got good tone though. He very well could just be playing through a good tube amp that's been cranked. When he plays really hard, there appears to be a lot of breakup in his tone, and when he backs off, his tone gets a lot cleaner. This would suggest he's playing through an amp that could be a traditionally clean sounding amp, but cranked so that when it really gets a lot of signal (when he picks hard), it strains to keep up and produces the compressed distortion you're hearing. I'd argue against the supposition that he's using a compressor because the distortion in his tone varies a lot as he plays and puts different amounts of pressure on the strings. If he was using a compressor, the distortion characteristics would be a lot more uniform throughout as he played. In otherwords, it would be a lot harder to tell when he was playing hard or softly. If there is any compression going on there, it most likely happened during post editing and mixdown.

If I had to guess, I'd guess he's just playing that guitar through, oh, a cranked Vox AC30 and that's it. Or maybe he's playing through a crancked Fender amp, it's hard to pinpoint. Either way, he's probably playing through a small, relatively low wattage combo amp with the volume knob turned way up. Also, he's banging the crap out of those strings on the part you specified. And it sound like he's using the neck pickup.

edit: Oh, and he's also using just a tiny bit of slapback delay.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 05:05 on May 5, 2010

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
Wow, interesting! Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

These Loving Eyes
Jun 6, 2009
I'm returning to my beloved bass playing after around a four year hiatus. All in all, I've probably played for roughly over a year actively over a three year period. I'm currently 23 years old and trying to tackle playing and music theory for real now.

Anyways, I'm urging to buy a cheap 4-string bass to accompany my current Warwick Thumb Bolt-On 5-stringer (it sounds great but it feels really hard to slap with it)and wondering what would be the best bang for my buck. My price range is around 250 - 350 $/€ and I'm mostly playing along the lines of rock, jazz and funk. I've been thinking of getting either an Epiphone Thunderbird IV or some Fender Squier Deluxe Jazz Bass IV 3SB. Any other suggestions?

Also, do you know any other good online resources for bass playing and theory in addition to Cyberfretbass.com?