Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

J.theYellow
May 7, 2003
Slippery Tilde

Kitfox88 posted:

Holy poo poo, I had no idea about the southern wing of the sealab at all

The sealab is the biggest of the five whole places in the game where Swimming is actually useful, and the only one where it's arguably necessary to make the process of healing/keeping biocell "mana" up not a huge pain in the rear end, even with Aqualung active. (the others being, the sunken ship in the very first level, the underwater route to Lebedev's private airfield, the Hong Kong waterways and the water entrance to Area 51.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chunderbucket
Aug 31, 2006

I had a beer with Stephen Miller once and now I like him.

Make that 4, if you get one item from the sunken barge at a time there's JUST enough time to surface before you run out.

Miles Vorkosigan
Mar 21, 2007

The stuff that dreams are made of.

J.theYellow posted:

The sealab is the biggest of the five whole places in the game where Swimming is actually useful, and the only one where it's arguably necessary to make the process of healing/keeping biocell "mana" up not a huge pain in the rear end, even with Aqualung active. (the others being, the sunken ship in the very first level, the underwater route to Lebedev's private airfield, the Hong Kong waterways and the water entrance to Area 51.

Whoa whoa hold on. There's a water entrance to Area 51? Holy poo poo.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Miles Vorkosigan posted:

I think this is my favorite part of any Deus Ex thread. "Wait, you can do WHAT?"

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Miles Vorkosigan posted:

There's also a hidden secret medical lab with at least one Aug canister in it in the HK Waterways, in the area with the big ship. A LOT of people I know never found that thing after multiple playthroughs.

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector
And you can pop up in the cathedral's well, too.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

J.theYellow posted:

In Vandenburg, there's a flooded part that contains an upgrade canister.

If you're playing vanilla DX and don't mind doing something that's a bit exploit-y, forget swimming skill and Aqualung, just max out Regeneration at use that to counteract the drowning damage.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

I still remember the secret room underneath Jacobson's office blowing my mind on like the tenth playthrough.

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector

Gynovore posted:

In Vandenburg, there's a flooded part that contains an upgrade canister.

If you're playing vanilla DX and don't mind doing something that's a bit exploit-y, forget swimming skill and Aqualung, just max out Regeneration at use that to counteract the drowning damage.

This does nothing for the SPEED, man. It just gets tedious as gently caress.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

Tanith posted:

Legs are so much more worth it than ballistic protection.

But I do that EVERY time.

chimz
Jul 27, 2005

Science isn't about why, it's about why not.

Fuzz posted:

There's also a hidden secret medical lab with at least one Aug canister in it in the HK Waterways, in the area with the big ship. A LOT of people I know never found that thing after multiple playthroughs.

What? Where's that? You don't mean the canal with the karkians and the dead guy, do you?

There's an upgrade canister in an underground bunker thing at Area 51 on the surface, I only found it on my most recent playthrough.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.

Crappy Jack posted:

I still remember the secret room underneath Jacobson's office blowing my mind on like the tenth playthrough.

I found that on my first playthrough, but I forgot where it is and haven't found it in years :saddowns:

Hard Clumping
Mar 19, 2008

Y'ALL BREADY
FOR THIS

Captain Novolin posted:

I found that on my first playthrough, but I forgot where it is and haven't found it in years :saddowns:

I remember finding it in the broken Unatco HQ at the end of Invisible War. I remember there being a datacube detailing a shipment of a 'skull gun' for Gunther and getting all :3:, but i was never able to find out how to get into it in the original DX. Every playthrough I do a search for it and find nothing.

SagatPunisherFanFic
Apr 16, 2009
I've never used a kill phrase on gunther. Help me everyone! I always forget to look for it. I'm not even sure it exists.

Fighting him is very enjoyable. Last play through I was going all melee, so I was getting ready to be set on fire. Soon as he came at me I dived round a corner and managed to get him with my nano sword as he appeared. Hit him in the arm so he dropped his flamethrower and started to run, this had never happened to me before! Don't think he could hate me any more than he did already, but I had to chase him down, even with one arm he's too dangerous to live.

Also saw a datacube at unatco that said manderley had a safe in his office. Is that the case, or did I misread it? I think it was a shifter or biomod addition, haven't seen it before.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

SagatPunisherFanFic posted:

I've never used a kill phrase on gunther. Help me everyone! I always forget to look for it. I'm not even sure it exists.

Fighting him is very enjoyable. Last play through I was going all melee, so I was getting ready to be set on fire. Soon as he came at me I dived round a corner and managed to get him with my nano sword as he appeared. Hit him in the arm so he dropped his flamethrower and started to run, this had never happened to me before! Don't think he could hate me any more than he did already, but I had to chase him down, even with one arm he's too dangerous to live.

Also saw a datacube at unatco that said manderley had a safe in his office. Is that the case, or did I misread it? I think it was a shifter or biomod addition, haven't seen it before.

You only get it if you Tell Jaime to stay at Unatco. If you tell him to leave when you do, he gives you an upgrade canister the next time you meet him. If you tell him to stay behind, he's there long enough to dig up Gunther's killphrase.

Captain Novolin posted:

In Alex's office, it's on that upper level section. Turn right as soon as you walk through the door, and walk straight ahead toward where he is. Right around where the lamp is, there are two sections of floor that you can activate, revealing a hidden compartment in the floor with goodies inside.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
Holy poo poo, I just found another two ways into the NSF warehouse with the generator, and one of them makes swimming less useless. I've done this part a good 5 times and I've never figured that out.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

SagatPunisherFanFic posted:

There "is" a safe in his office in one iteration of the map, but it's just a piece of geometry that you can't get to.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Captain Novolin posted:

Holy poo poo, I just found another two ways into the NSF warehouse with the generator, and one of them makes swimming less useless. I've done this part a good 5 times and I've never figured that out.

I did the swimming route this time around just to get some use out of the Iron Lung mod (Environmental resistance is frankly total crap).

I'll probably upgrade swimming at least once just so that the other 4 swimming sections in the game won't be so bloody interminable.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

SM64Guy posted:

The guy that made the dx10 renderer and fixer tool would like people to test an experimental replacement exe that fixes problems at the root http://kentie.net/article/deusexe/index.htm might solve issues for people

This executable is making all of my dreams come true. Consistently running at the proper speed with VSync disabled, no screwing around with CPU throttling required. I can also confirm that it works with Steam.

The subtitles for the infolink type out very slowly, one character at a time, and disappear before it even gets the first line out, but that doesn't really matter because it's not like we don't all have the game's dialogue memorized.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
I'm going to sound insane for this, but I raised Aqualung to level 4 and maxed out my Swimming skill in Biomod. Aqualung 4 lets you stay underwater forever and you regenerate bioenergy pretty fast while you're swimming, while Swimming 4 makes you move at basically running speed underwater. Those upgrades might have been better applied elsewhere, but there's just something so badass about being able to lurk around in underground waterways, malevolently observing the troops above me with my Predator vision, awaiting the perfect moment to pop up, silently subdue them, and drag them off into the shadows.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

Steakandchips posted:

(Environmental resistance is frankly total crap).

Environmental resistance is awesome because one level of it makes you immune to gas grenades, so you can toss one in a choke point and then happily clean up whatever soldiers you managed to catch with whatever melee weapon comes to hand, all without fear for your life or your health.

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.
I seem to recall there being a little secret room in the elevator shaft leading up to Jock's apartment. There was a skull in it, and maybe a datapad? I haven't seen anyone else mention it in this thread, though. Was that an easter egg?

Mathemagician
Aug 21, 2003

tell me some more

Ansob. posted:

You can also goomba enemies. :smuggo:
In the no-guns, no-augs, and on-site procurement playthrough in Biomod I'm doing, the hardest part so far is the Cathedral because there aren't any crowbars or anything laying around and I had to jump on a dude's head and crush him to get his baton :c00l:

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Angry Diplomat posted:

I'm going to sound insane for this, but I raised Aqualung to level 4 and maxed out my Swimming skill in Biomod. Aqualung 4 lets you stay underwater forever and you regenerate bioenergy pretty fast while you're swimming, while Swimming 4 makes you move at basically running speed underwater. Those upgrades might have been better applied elsewhere, but there's just something so badass about being able to lurk around in underground waterways, malevolently observing the troops above me with my Predator vision, awaiting the perfect moment to pop up, silently subdue them, and drag them off into the shadows.

By the shadows you mean underwater, because they do not have aqualung or swimming skill, right?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Angry Diplomat posted:

Aqualung 4 lets you stay underwater forever and you regenerate bioenergy pretty fast while you're swimming

Shifter/Biomod makes Aqualung worth it just for this. You basically no longer need to worry about bioenergy in levels where you can stick your head underwater.

e; VVV

Angry Diplomat posted:

No, they drown very quickly and I'm doing a nonlethal run. In a "J.C. Denton, Destroyer of Worlds" playthrough, that could be very entertaining, especially if you make it your mission to individually knock out and drown every single enemy in the level :black101:

JC Denton, priest of Cthulhu.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 15:28 on May 3, 2010

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

silvergoose posted:

By the shadows you mean underwater, because they do not have aqualung or swimming skill, right?

No, they drown very quickly and I'm doing a nonlethal run. In a "J.C. Denton, Destroyer of Worlds" playthrough, that could be very entertaining, especially if you make it your mission to individually knock out and drown every single enemy in the level :black101:

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Angry Diplomat posted:

No no no. J.C. Denton, Lord of the Deep, King of Atlantis.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
If I whack in Biomod, could I still continue my save game or will I have to play it over again?

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Did anyone ever take the time to combine the maps that were of the same area so you didn't have to load 3 times in hong kong an the like?

TehGherkin
May 24, 2008

Crappy Jack posted:

WHAT? I have yet to find this, hints?

Fuzz posted:

On my last playthrough I swam around there for hours and hours, and was never able to find it.

Recently completed Deus Ex for the first time using Shifter, absolutely loved it, I concur with the people who've said Realistic mode is the only way to play this game, doing another Realistic playthrough with biomod (Managed to get the "I underestimated your abilities" dialogue with Paul for the first time, before I shot Lebedev in the face with his own magnum, which I put about 10 upgrades on that I'd been saving up for it, disappointed about no new model or sound though)

I liked how I could still punish the NSF captain on Liberty Island, while going non-lethal, by pepper spraying him in the face and then beating the ever loving poo poo out of him with the baton until he hit unconsciousness.

Also, for the first time this game I interrogated the prisoners alongside Simons, there's so much awesome little stuff for this, I just really wish someone who knew what they were doing would get off their arse and make some new models and textures for a bit of weapon variety and poo poo, I don't care if they look just like the original Deus Ex models in style, but just show a different thing, it'd be nice if this magnum actually looked like a magnum (Because I'm gay for revolvers)

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
"magnum" is a kind of ammo

Premium Account
Mar 4, 2008
Great... logged on 19 hours on this game (according to Steam), and now it decides to constantly freeze. I've just reached the part where I'm supposed to bring down the ship.

This is why I laugh off anyone that says PC gaming is better than console (although that discussion is for another topic).

Maybe it's time to fire up Max Payne.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I'm not sure why the new vision mod isn't working for me, I dropped the reskinned textures in the texture files and the files for the system folder in as well as the modified game renderer file added the code and somehow I just get the default choppy render engine?

I can't update drivers as the website appears to be down. This sucks.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Premium Account posted:

This is why I laugh off anyone that says PC gaming is better than console (although that discussion is for another topic).
In the current generation I've had more console games freeze than PC games.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Captain Novolin posted:

That level is so amazing due to the excellent dense design plus good scale making for some really rewarding sniping and sneaking

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

etalian posted:

That level is so amazing due to the excellent dense design plus good scale making for some really rewarding sniping and sneaking

it kinda sucks if you want to get the legs aug at the bottom, though

xX_WEED_GOKU_Xx
Apr 30, 2010

by Ozma

etalian posted:

I always climb onto a nearby building, blast everyone with my laser-guided pistol, and come in through the roof.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

Fag Boy Jim posted:

it kinda sucks if you want to get the legs aug at the bottom, though
Depending on the path you choose, you can pass it on the way in if that's more convenient for ya.

Cool Hand Leukemia posted:

I always climb onto a nearby building, blast everyone with my laser-guided pistol, and come in through the roof.
Thanks to Shifter/Biomod's ridiculously generous points rewards, I already had Experienced rifles by that point and sniped the hell out of everyone with the many boxes of rifle ammo you find around there.

one thing I'm not loving about Shifter, though: Snipe a guy in the head, 20 to 25 points. Knock him out, 15 points. Melee kill him, even if you get him before he ever notices you, only 10 points? Oh, and heavy weapons only give you like 5 or 7. As if this game needed any more incentive to use the sniper rifle all the time, now you get as many points as doing a secondary objective just for sniping a couple guards.

Carbohydrates fucked around with this message at 18:38 on May 3, 2010

J.theYellow
May 7, 2003
Slippery Tilde

Miles Vorkosigan posted:

You have to climb to the roof of the ruined Hangar 18 building, then hop over to the open-roofed silo with the rotating fan blade (you'll get a funny message from Bob Page urging you to jump, but you can destroy the blade with the Dragon's Tooth sword easily.) Jump down and you'll land in water, and it's a brief swim to the Aquaman entrance to the basement of Area 51. It's a way to bypass the front door, and Walton Simons if he's still alive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

etalian posted:

The first time I played, that area was where I "got" the game after struggling through Liberty Island and to a lesser extent Battery Park. It seemed so natural and sensible an approach to go into an alley, climb up the fire escape, ghost from rooftop to rooftop avoiding the defenses at ground level, sneak around back and override the generator's cooling system.

I didn't have to use videogame logic to figure out what the designers intended me to do. I got an objective and was able to take the most natural-feeling path through the environment to get to it.

That's the kind of fundamental, common-sense good design you just don't see these days. Or back then, for that matter.