Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TUS
Feb 19, 2003

I'm going to stab you. Offline. With a real knife.

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

At UMass? If so, a good friend of mine is doing the monster makeup/gore for the show.

I was told MIT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

TUS posted:

I was told MIT

Welp, according to some google-fu, there are two presentations of it, one at MIT and one at UMass. Weird.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

There's finally a proper trailer for Piranha 3D which despite the dodgy CGI looks like a lot of fun.

Both the cast and the fact that it's a new Alexandre Aja has me hopeful, even if his last film Mirrors wasn't all that great.

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost

Ape Agitator posted:

The Descent Part 2 was really disappointing, mainly because there were some ideas that could have turned out fantastic but really didn't. I liked that it wasn't just "haha, another random group fell in the same hole" but drat did they make me wish someone better had written and shot it.
Even a random group would be better than what we got, imo. This sequel required so many stretches and so much character stupidity in order to exist. I should have known they would bring Juno back from the way they kept mentioning her name, but it just seemed too ridiculous to consider. But no, gently caress trying to come up with a new interesting conflict! Let's resurrect the old one and run it into the ground! The first movie ended on such a perfect note. Why retcon it and have both girls die as heroes, instead of traitors? It's like the writers realised what a lame heartwarming ending they'd created and decided to throw in the hilarious shovel sequence in the end to "darken" things up.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I've read spoilers for Descent 2 and I have zero interest in seeing it. The first one tells such a nice, neatly packaged story that adding to it, especially adding THAT to it, isn't worth my time.

Mr.Graves
Jul 23, 2007

by T. Finn
I think you can accurately describe exactly what you are getting into with Descent: Part Two by analysing the depth they put into the title. I'd go so far as to say it is probably one of the most accurate titles I've seen in a long time.

On that, Evil Dead: The Musical was the second best musical I've ever seen (in Toronto!) only next to Cabaret. If you haven't seen Evil Dead (Musical) you are really denying yourself something incredible.

I don't know if they do this with every showing, but they gave out plastic splatter bibs for the first couple rows at the one I saw. It's that good, and the way it is done makes it seem perfectly logical that they ignore the third movie.

I just watched a couple After Dark movies, so I can give a quick run-down:

The Reeds tried to implement too many tropes and ended up tripping over itself. It had good production quality, but the camera work fell short when trying to cut between 'is this a hallucination, or is this really happening?' Not that you won't know, but there was some lack of visceral effect that would give it... oomph? I guess. None of the actors were really flawed and the settings and such were actually good quality. It seemed mostly like the creators a suffered from trying to add too much at once.

The Final was worth watching. The only big let down was some of the melodrama in the main mask-wearer's exposition. If you can get behind the feeling that it comes off like you know the director/writers penned it while in high school, it's not that bad at all. Ludicrous, but it's a horror movie about picked on teenagers banding together dressed as Marilyn Manson characters to literally torture the schoolmates that have been figuratively torturing them.

Something I'd really like to suggest you watch while very, very high: Triangle. I found it a bit slow at first, then more and more interesting until I really, really enjoyed how everything was intertwined.

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
IS IT WRONG THAT I ONCE WROTE A HORROR STORY ABOUT THE BUDDIES? YOU KNOW, THE TALKING PUPPIES?
gently caress you all, I love The Descent Part 2.

Also.

G.Rainmaker
Feb 3, 2010

Slasherfan posted:

gently caress you all, I love The Descent Part 2.

Also.

Like the poster but... really? Do we really need an updated version of this?

I'm not going to shitcan a remake before seeing/hearing more about it but this just seems likes a weird one to do. I dug The Last House on the Left remake, kinda liked it more then the original, but I Spit on Your Grave was a purely brutal exploitation flick... I don't know, just seems like an odd choice.

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

I'm getting tired of all these remakes that lack any of the scares or really even any general competence the originals had. Remaking a film thirty years later with no original ideas blended into it does not a good time make for the most part. At least Rob Zombie seems like he might not just be in it for the money I wish he'd do more films like Devil's Rejects instead of terrible remakes of Halloween.

It's annoying when it seems like three quarters of horror films hollywood is making are remakes instead of something new I could look forward to.

Technetium fucked around with this message at 15:30 on May 3, 2010

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Technetium posted:

I'm getting tired of all these remakes that lack any of the scares or really even any general competence the originals had. Remaking a film thirty years later with no original ideas blended into it does not a good time make for the most part. At least Rob Zombie seems like he might not just be in it for the money I wish he'd do more films like Devil's Rejects instead of terrible remakes of Halloween.

It's annoying when it seems like three quarters of horror films hollywood is making are remakes instead of something new I could look forward to.

Which ones are you talking about?

TCM - different in tone but still somewhat creative and acted and filmed well. Not as good as the original, but better than the sequels and a decent-good modern horror film

Friday the 13th - better than most of the series depending on taste, essentially just another entry into the sequels with an added meanness given to Jason

Hills Have Eyes - about what and what with the original, more obvious subtext, slightly less deus ex machina dog

Nightmare on Elm Street - kind of lame, no scares, too many jump cuts, too like the original

Last House on the Left - a bit better than the original, which wasn't that good in the first place

Halloween - a completely different take on the original that kind of completely missed the point of what made the original effective

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Waterhaul posted:

There's finally a proper trailer for Piranha 3D which despite the dodgy CGI looks like a lot of fun.

New films with monsters in them that don't use CGI should advertise as such right on the poster. I'd be more likely to go. Even just this weekend, the new Nightmare on Elm Street was ruined by the CGI (and a host of other problems).

I understand that CGI is cheap, but it just looks so pathetic in most horror films now, is it really worth it? Is it worth it to completely ruin a film? Didn't we get by for years without it and have amazing films that didn't rely on it at all?

I'm not saying it can't be done either, I'm just saying there's been an epidemic of really pathetic CGI over the past few years in horror especially.

Local Group Bus
Jul 18, 2006

Try to suck the venom out.
On the subject of remakes I don't care what anyone says My Bloody Valentine rocked and I hope like hell there is another one. The ending with the is it him? Or him? poo poo, hang on .. maybe it isn't him at all, it is? gently caress! was one of the better slasher reveals.

If you haven't seen it, do so.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Local Group Bus posted:

On the subject of remakes I don't care what anyone says My Bloody Valentine rocked and I hope like hell there is another one. The ending with the is it him? Or him? poo poo, hang on .. maybe it isn't him at all, it is? gently caress! was one of the better slasher reveals.

BONUS POINTS: one of the actresses is nude throughout her entire appearance in the film (and she's in there for a few minutes).

EXTENDED NUDITY ... in 3D!

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
IS IT WRONG THAT I ONCE WROTE A HORROR STORY ABOUT THE BUDDIES? YOU KNOW, THE TALKING PUPPIES?
There was a pirated copy of the I Spit Trailer on Youtube but it appers to havebeen removed. It looked decent. Jennifer seems to go through a real transformation in it. It was hard to see (Recorded with a phone) but looked decent.

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

Slasherfan posted:

There was a pirated copy of the I Spit Trailer on Youtube but it appers to havebeen removed. It looked decent. Jennifer seems to go through a real transformation in it. It was hard to see (Recorded with a phone) but looked decent.
They...remade...I Spit on Your Grave?

Dear God, why?

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003

bad movie knight posted:

They...remade...I Spit on Your Grave?

Dear God, why?

At the end of the trailer it came up "For Bad Movie Knight"

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
I can't wait for next year's remake of Manos: The Hands of Fate

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
Plot for I Spit On Your Grave
"A remake of the controversial 1979 cult classic, I Spit on Your Grave retells the horrific tale of writer Jennifer Hills, who takes a retreat from the city to a charming cabin in the woods to start on her next book. But Jennifer’s presence in the small town attracts the attention of a few morally deprived locals who set out one night to teach this city girl a lesson.

They break into her cabin to scare her. However, what starts out as terrifying acts of humiliation and intimidation, quickly and uncontrollably escalates into a night of physical abuse and torturous assault. But before they can kill her, Jennifer sacrifices her broken and beaten body to a raging river that washes her away.

As time passes, the men slowly stop searching for her body and try to go back to life as usual. But that isn’t about to happen. Against all odds, Jennifer Hills survived her ordeal. Now, with hell bent vengeance, Jennifer’s sole purpose is to turn the tables on these animals and to inflict upon them every horrifying and torturous moment they carried out on her... only much, much worse."

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

Slasherfan posted:

Plot for I Spit On Your Grave
"A remake of the controversial 1979 cult classic, I Spit on Your Grave retells the horrific tale of writer Jennifer Hills, who takes a retreat from the city to a charming cabin in the woods to start on her next book. But Jennifer’s presence in the small town attracts the attention of a few morally deprived locals who set out one night to teach this city girl a lesson.

They break into her cabin to scare her. However, what starts out as terrifying acts of humiliation and intimidation, quickly and uncontrollably escalates into a night of physical abuse and torturous assault. But before they can kill her, Jennifer sacrifices her broken and beaten body to a raging river that washes her away.

As time passes, the men slowly stop searching for her body and try to go back to life as usual. But that isn’t about to happen. Against all odds, Jennifer Hills survived her ordeal. Now, with hell bent vengeance, Jennifer’s sole purpose is to turn the tables on these animals and to inflict upon them every horrifying and torturous moment they carried out on her... only much, much worse."

Except it's kind of uneven because they spend more time raping her than she does getting her revenge and she doesn't rape them back.

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

Darko posted:

Stuff about remakes.

Most of the Friday the 13th series was studios producing films to cash in on the franchise, and with this being a selfproclaimed reboot of the series it should've lived up to the originals, which I honestly couldn't say it did. It was just a straight slasher with no originality other than a slightly more fearsome Jason in some regards, it was okay but overall pretty mediocre.

Nightmare on Elm Street seems to be sitting on mostly negative reviews from just about everyone and I have no urge to see it, since from the sound of it it has the same scares as the original minus some of the best ones.

Saw most of Halloween and wasn't impressed, II came out with even worse reviews.

Checking my Criticker score apparently I saw TCM and was entirely unimpressed with it. I remember a scene with them in a car with the cop talking to them and that's about it which is probably the most damning thing I could say about it since it's supposed to be a remake of one of the most visceral and atmospheric horror movies.

I heard bad things about Last House on the Left and I loved the original so I guess I can't really see eye to eye with you on that one.

Hills Have Eyes I is the only remake I've seen of the ones being spewed out that was actually a really entertaining and all around good horror movie, if only because it seemed to be pretty self-aware of how ridiculous it was at times (the scene with the hero bashing in a mutant's face with amazing horn-driven music backing him comes to mind) with some genuinely tense scenes to boot.

My Bloody Valentine is the only other I've heard good things about and I really should watch it but I hope that clears up why I said I'm getting tired of all these remakes, only one out of the ones I remember even seeing was any good in my eyes. It's one thing to do a "remake" (?) like New Nightmare, it's entirely another thing to try to redo the same movie with none of the charm or surprises the original had.

Craig Spradlin
Apr 6, 2009

Right in the babymaker.
I was disappointed by The Final. The pacing felt off - I didn't get any sense of increasing tension, or any sense of real jeopardy or sense that things were going to get worse. It felt sort of inert and disjointed, with too much attention to quirky detail at the expense of mood. It's too bad - I liked the premise, and I didn't mind that the victims were unsympathetic, or the killers acting like ridiculous douchelords because they were teenagers - of course they're going to be ridiculous douchelords.

I really liked The Killing Room - a low-key psychological horror film that went directly to video. Not sure why - it's got a great cast (Peter Stormare, Chloe Sevigny, Timothy Hutton, Clea DuVall), it's just bloody enough to be effective, and it's sharp and tense throughout - almost like Cube filmed in part from the perspective of the people running the experiment.

One I didn't think got enough love (and I don't think ever got wide release) was Shuttle. It strips down the central conceit of movies like Hostel or Turistas - what happens when vacationing teenagers make the wrong decision? - to one very simple location (an airport shuttle van) and one very simple problem (why isn't the driver taking us home?) and builds and builds and builds on it until the end of the movie just punches you in the stomach. It stayed with me for days.

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003

bad movie knight posted:

Except it's kind of uneven because they spend more time raping her than she does getting her revenge and she doesn't rape them back.

We don't know that yet for this version, the trailer has a lead up to a very nasty looking scene "It's date night".

Local Group Bus
Jul 18, 2006

Has anybody seen the Stepfather remake? We were talking about remakes last night and it came up in conversation and I can't remember if I saw the remake or not. If I did it doesn't speak well of it, but if I didn't can someone tell me if the tension O'Quinn bought to the original is still there and if it's worth a watch?

The original scared the poo poo out of me as a kid. Adults out of control of their emotions scared me shitless and it would be interesting to see if that fear is still there now that I am an adult myself.

If the remake sucked I could always just re-watch the original.

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

Local Group Bus posted:

Has anybody seen the Stepfather remake? We were talking about remakes last night and it came up in conversation and I can't remember if I saw the remake or not. If I did it doesn't speak well of it, but if I didn't can someone tell me if the tension O'Quinn bought to the original is still there and if it's worth a watch?

The original scared the poo poo out of me as a kid. Adults out of control of their emotions scared me shitless and it would be interesting to see if that fear is still there now that I am an adult myself.

If the remake sucked I could always just re-watch the original.

It sucked. Dylan Walsh is alright but he ain't no Terry O'Quinn and it lacked Jill Schoelen which hurt it more than anything else.

And I'm usually pretty positive when it comes to all these Horror remakes, this one just didn't do much for me but it's not as bad as poo poo like Prom Night.

Local Group Bus
Jul 18, 2006

Thank you, that's one DVD I can cross off my to buy list.

For fans of the third instalment in the Urban Legend series - Urban Legend: Bloody Mary - which I really liked, it looks like we might get another in that similar vein which I am addly excited for.

I thought the first UL was a lot of fun - it made no sense but it had a good slasher feel to it - but the second one sucked. UL: Bloody Mary was actually respectable and if UL:2 put you off check that out. It's branched off nicely.

It's weird. It seems to be a continuation is name only. Here's the trailer for UL: Bloody Mary and I recommend it for some fun slasher horror. It's going to be interesting to see if the next one can keep that quirky feel.

Local Group Bus fucked around with this message at 08:35 on May 5, 2010

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
Trailer for I Spit On Your Grave http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/independent/ispitonyourgrave/

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Slasherfan posted:

Trailer for I Spit On Your Grave http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/independent/ispitonyourgrave/

I spit on your remake.

Not as a matter of principle (I go to see remakes, I'm complicit in their popularity), but because this one is unnecessary and looks really bad right out of the gate.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

InfiniteZero posted:

New films with monsters in them that don't use CGI should advertise as such right on the poster. I'd be more likely to go. Even just this weekend, the new Nightmare on Elm Street was ruined by the CGI (and a host of other problems).

I understand that CGI is cheap, but it just looks so pathetic in most horror films now, is it really worth it? Is it worth it to completely ruin a film? Didn't we get by for years without it and have amazing films that didn't rely on it at all?

I'm not saying it can't be done either, I'm just saying there's been an epidemic of really pathetic CGI over the past few years in horror especially.

I don't really mind CGI but I do have one major gripe with it: eventually it shows it's age. You see a movie with top notch CGI, in a few years you'll go back to it having seen more impressive CGI and everything just looks so out of place in the movies. poo poo with latex and prosthetics however always look right at home in their movie no matter how long it's been.

bad movie knight posted:

I personally have a great disgust for movies with rape. I just can't stomach it and I end up turning them off. However I kept watching I Spit on Your Grave cause I knew she was going to make them all suffer for it and drat I have never cheered any one in a movie harder then that.

I'm very loving surprised that this is getting remade though. What's next? Cannibal Holocaust?

JammyLammy
Dec 23, 2009

Volume posted:

I personally have a great disgust for movies with rape.

If I'm reading Slasherfan blur on it, seems like they are tuning that part down (if not taking it out completely). Guess its not that surprising though (and in this particular case doesn't bother me much, have a hard time with movies like that) but I noticed for all the people who bitch about movies like Saw and Hostel, they are really overly exaggerating it. If anything alot of these horror movies are getting much tamer in showing, mostly opting for off-scene or implied.

I watched Hostel expecting this ultra-violent, torture fest, and well other then one or two scene it was fairly tame. Watching the skin split off the ankle, and the japanese girl's melting face Those scenes had nothing on Friday the 13th part 3 (?) when you see Jason's face land on the upturn knife and slowly slide down it.

With that aside, just watched Blood Creek. Found out it took place in WV and well that put it on the top of my list (going to school here). Its a straight up Nazi Occult story, and nothing deep about it. I liked it, though the heroes of the movie (the older brother from Prison Break, and Prince Henry from the Tudors) aren't really that great at acting :\ They can do action scenes but little trouble with anything else, which is odd since they were pretty good on their respective shows.

Basic story is your trapped in a house with evil baddie outside, having to wait out the night/figure out a way to stop him. Not much else beyond that to be honest. Its the story of movie you watch to turn off your brain to.

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

Volume posted:

I personally have a great disgust for movies with rape. I just can't stomach it and I end up turning them off. However I kept watching I Spit on Your Grave cause I knew she was going to make them all suffer for it and drat I have never cheered any one in a movie harder then that.
Well then, you sat through the granddaddy of rape scenes. There's so much rape in I Spit on Your Grave it's a bona fide rape montage, and I can't imagine a rape scene more nauseating than that.

As far as rape->revenge movies go, I can think of a couple that are way more effective simply because they imply more than they show when it comes to the rape. I Spit on Your Grave brutalizes its characters so much the filmmakers become complicit in the fictional rape, i.e. it seems as if they're getting off on it...and that's when I can no longer stand a rape scene, much less four of them back to back that go on for 50 minutes.

Keanu Grieves fucked around with this message at 06:30 on May 7, 2010

the_psychologist
Jul 28, 2004
~~Bush is a Dick.....Cheney~~
My fave remakes of late are The Last House on the Left and The Hills Have Eyes. The latter has some great mutant villains (esp the giant when he goes insane after being reprimanded in the trailer) and I also love the Dog of Random Vengeance.

the_psychologist
Jul 28, 2004
I'm waiting for a new genre of horror to emerge - First-person like Cloverfield, and the movies place you in scary situations like Buried (or The Human Centipede - hah!). It seems suited to premium TV more than theaters, though. Maybe like 60 or even 30-minute episodes where you watch the horror scenario build and then the glorious escape or death.

finchy
Feb 12, 2005
Whoop whoop whoop whoop whoop whoop whoop whoop whoop whoop

bad movie knight posted:

Well then, you sat through the granddaddy of rape scenes. There's so much rape in I Spit on Your Grave it's a bona fide rape montage, and I can't imagine a rape scene more nauseating than that.

As far as rape->revenge movies go, I can think of a couple that are way more effective simply because they imply more than they show when it comes to the rape. I Spit on Your Grave brutalizes its characters so much the filmmakers become complicit in the fictional rape, i.e. it seems as if they're getting off on it...and that's when I can no longer stand a rape scene, much less four of them back to back that go on for 50 minutes.

Irreversible is worse.

Mr.Graves
Jul 23, 2007

by T. Finn

the_psychologist posted:

I'm waiting for a new genre of horror to emerge - First-person like Cloverfield, and the movies place you in scary situations like Buried (or The Human Centipede - hah!). It seems suited to premium TV more than theaters, though. Maybe like 60 or even 30-minute episodes where you watch the horror scenario build and then the glorious escape or death.

Oh hey guy is this you because if so PM me because I'm starting to feel morally obligated to hunt you down.

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

finchy posted:

Irreversible is worse.
Backing up an opinion is just so much work, isn't it?

Anyway, since I have all this spare time on my hands, I'll explain why I disagree, having seen both movies: 1) Irreversible's rape scene lasts for approximately 8 minutes, almost 42 fewer minutes than I Spit on Your Grave's; 2) aside from the CGI penis, Irreversible's rape scene is also less graphic; 3) Alex doesn't get gang-raped in Irreversible, instead assailed by only one man and 4) the rape in Irreversible is arguably not the centerpiece of the film, its sole reason for existing.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Slasherfan posted:

We don't know that yet for this version, the trailer has a lead up to a very nasty looking scene "It's date night".

So, it's going to be a more graphic rip-off of Descent?

the_psychologist
Jul 28, 2004
Oh deary me.

I just got done watching The Human Centipede.

I must say, it's a real goddamn horror movie, not just an exercise in shock gore. The killer is also a truly classic character, played with much gusto. In general, the movie takes itself seriously, so don't be fooled into thinking it's comedy like Dead Alive or Evil Dead II. THC will leave the room quiet after it's over. Great final shot, too. Most horror movies wish they had 1/2 the impact of this one.

Ugh.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

the_psychologist posted:

Oh deary me.

I just got done watching The Human Centipede.

I must say, it's a real goddamn horror movie, not just an exercise in shock gore. The killer is also a truly classic character, played with much gusto. In general, the movie takes itself seriously, so don't be fooled into thinking it's comedy like Dead Alive or Evil Dead II. THC will leave the room quiet after it's over. Great final shot, too. Most horror movies wish they had 1/2 the impact of this one.

Ugh.

I watched this the other night. After seeing the trailer a couple times, I seriously wasn't expecting much. It looked ridiculous and stupid, but not like it would actually watchable for the entire running time, let alone enjoyable.

To my surprise, it was actually pretty engaging. I'd go so far as to say it's the first horror movie I've seen in a very long time to make me physically uncomfortable for more than, say, one scene.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
To me it looked like the director came up with the general concept (Evil Scientist Stitches Three People Together) and the ending, then got so excited he spent roughly 12 hours writing a script to fill in the rest. It would have made a bitching short but once the centipede is is introduced (how the gently caress did he get three unconscious people off the operating table and upstairs without ripping out his work?) the movie doesn't really do much with it until the soap-opera level cops show up. I really think it would have worked better as a 15-minute short.

Of course, the director already announced a sequel with a 12-person centipede, so what the gently caress do I know.

Compared to some of the recent French stuff, the effects in this are surprisngly not-so-graphic. Was really expecting the operation itself to last longer than that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the_psychologist
Jul 28, 2004

Illinois Smith posted:

To me it looked like the director came up with the general concept (Evil Scientist Stitches Three People Together) and the ending, then got so excited he spent roughly 12 hours writing a script to fill in the rest. It would have made a bitching short but once the centipede is is introduced (how the gently caress did he get three unconscious people off the operating table and upstairs without ripping out his work?) the movie doesn't really do much with it until the soap-opera level cops show up. I really think it would have worked better as a 15-minute short.

Of course, the director already announced a sequel with a 12-person centipede, so what the gently caress do I know.

Compared to some of the recent French stuff, the effects in this are surprisngly not-so-graphic. Was really expecting the operation itself to last longer than that.

I think the movie does a LOT right, which surprised me.

Yes, the procedure itself is clearly what motivated the project, but it does give the movie an unforgettable core around which to arrange everything else. I especially appreciated how the procedure didn't go that smoothly. I was worried the doc would do it up and everything would heal just fine, but the third section clearly doesn't react as expected. It gives a real experimental vibe to the whole mess.

Plus, I found the acting to be pretty good overall. The Japanese guy was a great choice, for a variety of reasons (He gets the most physical abuse in the front position, he's a better actor than the girls, him being Japanese is a nod to J-Horror/body horror, and his screaming in Japanese adds an extra something to the movie). The doctor is a truly classic horror villain, and I love how he comes to life when engaged by his work.

My complaints are as follows:

-Really sloppy continuity with the water glass during the scene where the doc drugs the girls. She spills the glass, making it the focal point, but then it's full again like two seconds later. Took me right out of the movie.

How the gently caress did the doc get the centipede upstairs? I know the director wanted a classic scene by the fire, but there should have been some explanation. They make such a big deal of getting up the stairs, which just highlights this flaw.

How do the cops not hear the J-screaming? They should have just put a door on the basement to account for this.

The tone of he movie is kind of inconsistent. It has flashes of black humor during the first act, but ends up being pretty serious and grim.

This movie is already a classic of the genre, but I wish the director had patched up these holes. Without them, the viewer would have no reason to be pulled out of the experience.

PS - The curly-haired girl is incredibly pretty. Too bad she ends up in the middle.