Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.

Srebrenica Surprise posted:

Some motherboards will automatically reset themselves if you restart over and over, in case of a bad overclock so you don't have to go into the case and punch the reset CMOS button (at least mine does). The most possible scenario that I could think of that would cause this is if you accidentally disabled quick boot or something in the BIOS, then restarted a few times accidentally, the motherboard reset itself and went back to that being on. If it just happened out of the blue, it's still possible that for some reason the CMOS got reset (maybe the battery is bad?), so I'd check the BIOS and see if anything you set manually is back to automatic. If not, I wouldn't worry about it.

I checked and quick boot is enabled, but I didn't manually change anything in the BIOS when I put the computer together so hard to say if it's reset... I guess I won't worry then, thanks! It's been working great anyway.

edit: I don't know if it matters but I just re-installed a DVD drive and when I entered the BIOS to check if it's recognized I got a message that the CMOS is not configured correctly and that time/date are not set up. I let it use the default settings then changed it through the control panel in Windows... I guess it got reset for some reason? Maybe the battery is bad after all.

Sway Grunt fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Apr 29, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

colas
Feb 14, 2007

My Dell Desktop has a fan that is annoyingly loud. Do these things rev-up because the cpu load is heavy or the temp?

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

strwrsxprt posted:

No one's debating that. Is it a better buy than an i5-750 right now? For most users, hell no.

edit: I'm sure 12GB of RAM and 2GB of video memory will some day be the norm. Does it makes sense to buy it now? Unless you have very niche usage habits, no.

That depends on what you define as niche usage habits, for most people a single core is probably fine, but you'd have trouble finding those things anyway. But I had trouble running things like ooVoo on a TF-20 because each streaming webcam on the screen sucks up it's own thread, and with 5 people it slows to a crawl if you try to do anything else.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

colas posted:

My Dell Desktop has a fan that is annoyingly loud. Do these things rev-up because the cpu load is heavy or the temp?

They ramp the the fan speed once the temps rise.

Clean out your drat computer!

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...
My new LG DVD-RW Drive doesn't play nice with video DVDs. It either doesn't recognize them at all or doesn't rip them. RMA time?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Couldn't hurt to check for a firmware update first.

colas
Feb 14, 2007

BorderPatrol posted:

They ramp the the fan speed once the temps rise.

Clean out your drat computer!

It's totally clean, I even installed a slot and 80mm rear fan. This 120mm fan that's mounted to blow through the cpu heatsink goes nuts for Flash, it screams if I load an intense game. I just want to take it out and put on a heatsink/fan combo.

day tripper
Apr 30, 2010
Is there an app for somethingaful.com that shows live updating of threads?

Srebrenica Surprise
Aug 23, 2008

"L-O-V-E's just another word I never learned to pronounce."

colas posted:

It's totally clean, I even installed a slot and 80mm rear fan. This 120mm fan that's mounted to blow through the cpu heatsink goes nuts for Flash, it screams if I load an intense game. I just want to take it out and put on a heatsink/fan combo.
If it's 775 and the case and motherboard is standard ATX, you could certainly do so (or, just replace the fan, if it's a standard 120mm).

Chaitai
Apr 15, 2006
Nope. I got nothin' witty to go here.

College Slice
Is there anyway to know if a certain video card will fit in a machine?

I have a friend who is looking to get this Dell Inspiron 570 and put a Radeon 5770 in there.

Will it fit? And does this seem like a decent system? He will be using it primarily to play games like World of Warcraft. Thanks!

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo
Is it ok to use Goof Off to remove thermal paste off my heatsink/cpu? Going to replace my CPU with a x6.

http://www.goof-off.com/

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

SnatchRabbit posted:

Is it ok to use Goo Off to remove thermal paste off my heatsink/cpu? Going to replace my CPU with a x6.
Rubbing alcohol.

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo

strwrsxprt posted:

Rubbing alcohol.

Not sure I have any in the house. Will the Goof Off suffice without doing any damage? seems like it's the same stuff. Or Nail polish remover?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Based on the website you linked, Goof-Off is more akin to paint thinner. I wouldn't use it, but that's just me.

Gunuin
Aug 8, 2009

Anyone ever buy a replacement laptop keyboard from amazon or buy.com?

I have to replace my wife's HP Pavilion keyboard. HP said the replacement would cost $85. Only costs $20-30 online not from HP. Anyone know if there would be anything disappointing (or even that much different) about getting this part from someone other than HP? Thanks!

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Don't use Goof-Off, it doesn't dry cleanly like rubbing alcohol and may leave a residue behind.

If you don't have alcohol, just use a bit of water and a rag or Kleenex.

Tai-Pan
Feb 10, 2001
Is there an easy way to move certain files and keep the file hierarchy?

At work we are separating the creative teams files from the business side of things.

However we have 3 dozen clients and more than 900 sub folders on our server. I don't want to go in by hand and find all of the .XLS and .PPT files (our work) and create a new structure that mirrors the old one.

Ideally, I would just like to drag the "clients" folder to the new server and not copy all of the *.Tiff, *.avi, *.FlA, etc etc etc.

Is there any way to do this?

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

I live in the US and I've got a Dell Latitude E6500 laptop with a genuine Dell DA90PE1-00 power supply (PA-3E family, dell p/n: wk890):

I'm going to be in the UK for a few weeks next month. The adapter says that it works from 50-60Hz. Can I just get a UK style cord to plug into UK outlets (to replace the one with the red arrow in the pic) so I don't have to plug the power supply into one of those travel adapters? If so, where would i get that cord (and what the hell would I call it?)

e: I guess this is what I was looking for:

Will I be able to purchase one of these and plug it directly into my power supply? Also, monoprice doesn't have any of these. Is there a credible source for cables in the UK that sell something like this?

Cacafuego fucked around with this message at 22:52 on May 1, 2010

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

The Antipop posted:

I live in the US and I've got a Dell Latitude E6500 laptop with a genuine Dell DA90PE1-00 power supply (PA-3E family, dell p/n: wk890):

I'm going to be in the UK for a few weeks next month. The adapter says that it works from 50-60Hz. Can I just get a UK style cord to plug into UK outlets (to replace the one with the red arrow in the pic) so I don't have to plug the power supply into one of those travel adapters? If so, where would i get that cord (and what the hell would I call it?)

I coudn't find any mickey mouse cords with a Euro plug, but you can just put an adapter on the end of yours:

http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=euro+plug+adapter&_sacat=0&_odkw=euro+plug+adapter&_osacat=0&bkBtn=&_trksid=p3286.m270.l1313

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Zorilla posted:

I coudn't find any mickey mouse cords with a Euro plug, but you can just put an adapter on the end of yours:

http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=euro+plug+adapter&_sacat=0&_odkw=euro+plug+adapter&_osacat=0&bkBtn=&_trksid=p3286.m270.l1313

I guess as long as the power supply says its good for 50-60Hz, it will work with just one of these adapters, right? Thanks for the tip!

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

The Antipop posted:

I guess as long as the power supply says its good for 50-60Hz, it will work with just one of these adapters, right? Thanks for the tip!

The voltage is typically far more important than the frequency - remember, the US uses a 120V standard, and in the UK it's 230V. Plugging a device that's designed for 120V-only operation into a 230V outlet will have unpleasant results, like starting a fire. However, for that particular charger, you're fine. Like almost all modern laptop power supplies, it's fine with anything from 100 to 240 volts input.

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

Tai-Pan posted:

Is there an easy way to move certain files and keep the file hierarchy?

At work we are separating the creative teams files from the business side of things.

Have you looked into robocopy?

Hung Yuri
Aug 29, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump
I suppose that in some sense this is a hardware question, but:

I wish to resize an existing partition on a hard drive. I've got 103GB free that I want on my external, out of 279GB.

I've defragmented and resorted the files to one side of the drive. What is the safest way to resize the partition so that I have roughly 100gb of unpartitioned space?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Hung Yuri posted:

I suppose that in some sense this is a hardware question, but:

I wish to resize an existing partition on a hard drive. I've got 103GB free that I want on my external, out of 279GB.

I've defragmented and resorted the files to one side of the drive. What is the safest way to resize the partition so that I have roughly 100gb of unpartitioned space?
Disk Management > Shrink Volume or whatever it's called.

Hung Yuri
Aug 29, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump

strwrsxprt posted:

Disk Management > Shrink Volume or whatever it's called.

That's what I was thinking of but I remember having issues using that once in that it didn't update the MFT properly, but perhaps it's because I did it on C:/ when windows was running :downs:

Did That on Television
Nov 8, 2004
lemonparties with wippersnapper
edit: see below

Did That on Television fucked around with this message at 19:29 on May 3, 2010

Did That on Television
Nov 8, 2004
lemonparties with wippersnapper
I know more precisely what I'm looking for: I just need something that can extend the range that my laptop's wireless can pick up. Is there anything this simple and relatively cheap (under $40, say)? I want to connect to a public, insecure connection near my house but in a stable way and it's juuust out of reach to be stable and consistent. It seems most of the things that say they boost ranges do so for home networks and that's not what I want -- I just want something that works with the Windows wireless stuff... but makes me able to pick up connections further away from me. Oh, and if it's not something that can be bought at a physical store, it should at least ship to Canada.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002
My laptop's power supply bit it, and the cheapest I'm looking for the official thing is $70 at buy.com. Could I get away with buying a generic replacement? If so what are some good brands and places to look? Thanks.

Srebrenica Surprise
Aug 23, 2008

Did That on Television posted:

I know more precisely what I'm looking for: I just need something that can extend the range that my laptop's wireless can pick up. Is there anything this simple and relatively cheap (under $40, say)?
Just get a external USB wireless adapter? I'm sure most of them are a lot better at picking up weak signals than ones that come with laptops.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Chief McHeath posted:

My laptop's power supply bit it, and the cheapest I'm looking for the official thing is $70 at buy.com. Could I get away with buying a generic replacement? If so what are some good brands and places to look? Thanks.

I like searching the model number on the charger on eBay and Craigslist.

tonelok
Sep 29, 2001

Hanukkah came early this year.

Steve Moore posted:

I like searching the model number on the charger on eBay and Craigslist.
Yeah, for batteries and chargers, ebay is definitely the way to go. They have that charger for $15 - $20.

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

tonelok posted:

Yeah, for batteries and chargers, ebay is definitely the way to go. They have that charger for $15 - $20.

Having fixed a bunch of laptops that didn't come to me with an AC adapter, I can tell you the only major downside is that sometimes the DC end of the cord is really short on generic adapters. Like, short enough to barely reach from the floor to the DC jack on your computer. It's still the way to go though. 65W units are around $10, 90W around $15, and 120W ones are $20 (but you probably won't need one of these unless you have an older laptop with a desktop CPU like a P4 or Athlon 64). Edit: oh wait, you are replacing a 120W unit.

Zorilla fucked around with this message at 00:18 on May 4, 2010

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Is there a quick way to discern between ECC and non-ECC memory by looking at the model number?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Bucket Joneses posted:

Is there a quick way to discern between ECC and non-ECC memory by looking at the model number?

ECC will have a 72 in it while non-ECC will have a 64 - however the number 64 could show up for other reasons. That being said, if a non-ECC module has eight chips, the ECC module will have nine.

Stan S. Stanman
Nov 18, 2009
I hope I'm in the right thread for this question. I've been browsing around the forums trying to find the answer without luck.

I'm trying to take a single VHS tape and make a digital copy of it. I have the following hardware available and I'm wondering if someone can confirm that I can somehow use it to accomplish this, or if there's some software I need to download in conjunction with what I have. Here's what I have available

VCR with coax or composite output
Windows 7 Home premium 64 bit o/s
pinnacle pctv hd pro stick 800e (has a coax input or a composite input)
evga gtx 260 vid card

I tried downloading virtualdub but it can't seem to see the output from the vcr. Ive tested the tv tuner stick by connecting a tuner to it and firing up media center. it can tune ota channels without a problem.

I've also downloaded movie maker live but that didn't seem to work either, unless I overlooked it.

I only have 1 VHS tape I want to convert and then i want to throw this VCR out! Do I have the right hardware to accomplish this, and if so, wtf software do I need to make this outdated technology work?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Zorilla posted:

Having fixed a bunch of laptops that didn't come to me with an AC adapter, I can tell you the only major downside is that sometimes the DC end of the cord is really short on generic adapters. Like, short enough to barely reach from the floor to the DC jack on your computer. It's still the way to go though. 65W units are around $10, 90W around $15, and 120W ones are $20 (but you probably won't need one of these unless you have an older laptop with a desktop CPU like a P4 or Athlon 64). Edit: oh wait, you are replacing a 120W unit.

Dell OEM PSUs have the DC cable short enough that the brick hangs from the DC jack of the laptop rather than ebing able to rest on the floor too.
:smith:

Edit: sorry, I mistakenly thought this was the things that you run into daily that piss you off thread for a second.

Expiration Date
Jun 6, 2008
is there such a thing to share just a single keyboard + mouse with two computers via hardware and not involving a button push or a hotkey. I'm talking two separate computers that i want to use simultaneously and see both screens at the same time.

I'm aware of KVM's but all of them I'm familiar with either require hotkeys or worse they require video to be switched too.

I basically want a hardware version of synergy or input director. input director doesn't work for osx and synergy is pretty lovely. (and doesn't work with UAC, which is more or less a dealbreaker).

HEY MAN TV ON PC
Jul 14, 2009
Very simple question: a friend gave me a new video card, and it's been years since I did any work inside my PC, so I want to make sure I've got this straight:
    Uninstall old card drivers, power down computer
    Don the anti-static wrist strap
    Pull out old card, plug new card in
    Boot up, install new drivers
Shouldn't blow anything up, right? Both the cards are PCI-E; does the motherboard need anything else? I'm going from an nVidia 7600 GS to an ATi HD 4650.

Srebrenica Surprise
Aug 23, 2008

That process should work fine, yeah. Just make sure to use web drivers or whatever Windows Update gives you instead of the ones on the CD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HEY MAN TV ON PC
Jul 14, 2009

Srebrenica Surprise posted:

That process should work fine, yeah. Just make sure to use web drivers or whatever Windows Update gives you instead of the ones on the CD.

Oh, for sure; I didn't even consider the CD ones.

• Locked thread