Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CatPod
Dec 30, 2006
The forces of cats and pods collide.
I went to school for Graphic Design and graduated a couple of years ago, right when the job market crashed. I had a lot of trouble finding a design job, so I've been working in accounting for almost a year and a half now. I've been hearing that the design marked is picking back up, and I'm awfully tired of pushing papers around in my beige cube, so I'm hoping it's a good time to start sending out applications again.

There's not very many open positions that I've been able to find actually posted, so I've just been hunting down any design company I can find that's in the area and just sending them an email with my cover letter, portfolio, and resume.

I've only gotten one or two replies back so far, just saying they're not hiring. Is anybody else experiencing something similar? What's the best way of finally just getting my foot through the door? At least an experiencing an interview would be great.

Here is my portfolio for reference. There's a link to my resume on there as well. I'm in the Seattle area, if it helps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

[chavez]
Dec 21, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Boo
Honestly, your portfolio needs work. Every single one of your HTML sites is a standard top-nav/big header layout. No offense but there are a ton of designers out there with big-name client portfolios looking for work, and your design skills don't give you enough of an edge to compete.

Can you afford to intern anywhere? Looking at what you've provided so far, I can tell you probably have the aptitude, but you need some professional guidance, and most agencies right now aren't in the position of paying someone to learn, they can get people who already know.

You might also consider just taking on a pro bono client to give yourself more experience just working on branding and creating an entire look & feel - a lot of your work is standard layout with stock imagery, so try to come up with your own new layouts & graphics instead.

CatPod
Dec 30, 2006
The forces of cats and pods collide.
I agree - I sort of get stuck in the one type of layout. I have a hard time coming up with a layout that's practical and easy to navigate, but looks different than the others.

Right when I was getting out of school, I was looking to intern somewhere. But again, with the job market crash and all, nobody really wanted to spend the time and money to take me on. I might be able to afford to do an internship, but it's kind of risky because I have a mortgage to pay now. I'm just not sure if I feel comfortable doing an internship unless I was fairly certain it was going to lead to steady work.

I'll see about getting some more new projects in there. Maybe ask family and friends for work?

I appreciate the feedback!

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!
What the consensus on follow-up phone calls? I've sent out a few resumes/samples and am starting to get antsy (it's been a week for some, two weeks for others). The internet opinion varies from "Do it" to "It depends" to "If they haven't called you they hate you so don't bother". These opinions don't seem to come from any particular field though, kinda all over.

So what does the creative industry think?

I'm a designer, packaging primarily. 10+ years experience. I know it's tough all over so should I assume they're overwhelmed and it's taking time? Should I assume they don't like me? If I call does it show enthusiasm or does it smack of desperation?

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost
It's like dating - wait three days and then call. Politely confirm that they received your materials without any problems, and ask if they need anything else from you. Don't be pushy, the call alone will demonstrate good communication and follow-through skills.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!
What's dating?

I kid - yeah, that's been about what I've been hearing. Now, I've sent samples and such to nameless email accounts and/or through websites. Do I just call up the main number and try to get an HR rep? I have no real contact names as of yet, although I know people at all these places who I've asked to investigate for me. Is that a good idea? Christ it's been awhile since I've done this poo poo!

Roil
May 4, 2010

Prylex3 posted:

Cool, thanks for the input. Since my Graphic Design program is pretty much all about print, I have been playing with AE and C4D on my own. I have considered teaching myself, but am curious what I would be missing out on - theory classes, connections, or just honing my skills and knowledge in video/motion.

Honestly, the best way to learn how to use After Effects is to learn through the lynda.com tutorials. They give a tremendous overview of all of the major functions that you'll need to know in order to start doing some work for yourself. In the cs3 tutorials there was over 9 hours of tutorials, and I'm sure that there's even more with the CS4/5 versions as well. They're how I learned how to start using the program myself, and that was 2 1/2 years ago.

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost

Ferrule posted:

I kid - yeah, that's been about what I've been hearing. Now, I've sent samples and such to nameless email accounts and/or through websites. Do I just call up the main number and try to get an HR rep? I have no real contact names as of yet, although I know people at all these places who I've asked to investigate for me. Is that a good idea? Christ it's been awhile since I've done this poo poo!

When I did it, I quickly explained the situation and receptionist and straight-up asked who I should talk to. Sometimes for the larger places you just get a name, so you just call back and ask for an extension the next time. Being polite and patient pays off, even if you do have to eat a big 'ol slice of humble pie.

Zurich
Jan 5, 2008
Hey gang, it's been a while.

Is it time to cull some older projects from my portfolio? I still get clients saying they like work from 08, but I'm a much better designer now than I was then and I'm not sure it puts me in the best light to look like I'm relying on them.

http://www.designedbygold.com

Thanks!

Zurich fucked around with this message at 13:57 on May 7, 2010

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.
I think it's good to show how you've developed. 08 isn't all that long ago - I think 3 years is a good amount to have on your site, so maybe take it off in '11.

Also, it's all good work, there's nothing there that hasn't earned its place.

By the way, I start at my new ad agency next week... maybe I'll have more luck getting you in for work experience there :)

Zurich
Jan 5, 2008

marshmallard posted:

I think it's good to show how you've developed. 08 isn't all that long ago - I think 3 years is a good amount to have on your site, so maybe take it off in '11.

Also, it's all good work, there's nothing there that hasn't earned its place.

By the way, I start at my new ad agency next week... maybe I'll have more luck getting you in for work experience there :)

I guess I'll repost in 6 months :p

I've been following your tweets/statii, hope it goes well (and that would be awesome, Ms Networking Cupid)

Also just sent you my new pdf portfolio/cv emailer (some people have been asking for one instead of a website), can you take a look when you get a second?

[chavez]
Dec 21, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Boo

Zurich posted:

Hey gang, it's been a while.

Is it time to cull some older projects from my portfolio? I still get clients saying they like work from 08, but I'm a much better designer now than I was then and I'm not sure it puts me in the best light to look like I'm relying on them.

http://www.designedbygold.com

Thanks!

I dunno. I have old work on my portfolio, but it's because the client names are pretty big (nintendo mostly) so even though it's a bit dated I'd rather show it just to get the client list out there.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Do any of you know about the MFA in design and technology from Parsons the new school for design? what do people think about it? is it worth going to?

Onox
May 24, 2010
First post. Had to break the forum hymen somehow.

I applied to Academy of Art University in San Francisco and got in because their policy is open enrollment.

I hear their tuition is expensive as gently caress and their dorms are just as bad.

The thing is, this is the only school that I can seem to find that does a compositing and matte painting course, which I would like to do. I looked into Ringling but they are more into the traditional arts. I would go to Vancouver Film School but the distance is just too impractical. Any opinions on this school?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Onox posted:

Any opinions on this school?
It's incredibly expensive and most people in San Francisco will hate you because the school is taking over the city and most of your classmates are spoiled douchebags.

Seriously though, you can learn a lot there if you work hard but if it will ultimately be worth the money is hard to say. Maybe do some math here. I can say that the city is full of AAU grads trying to figure out how they're going to make that $800 monthly loan payment.

Onox
May 24, 2010
I don't think a lot of students are wanting to do quite what I am.

I hear that most of the school is students who think they want to do art until they get into it and fine art students.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Onox posted:

I don't think a lot of students are wanting to do quite what I am.

I hear that most of the school is students who think they want to do art until they get into it and fine art students.
No, it's not just that. Every segment of every creative industry is inundated with potential entry-level employees and even if you're the best at what you do you're going to be making crap money for a few years so think long and hard if $30k+ a year for After Effects classes is really worth it in the long run.

Onox
May 24, 2010

qirex posted:

No, it's not just that. Every segment of every creative industry is inundated with potential entry-level employees and even if you're the best at what you do you're going to be making crap money for a few years so think long and hard if $30k+ a year for After Effects classes is really worth it in the long run.

And what would be a better option? I don't have a job at the moment so funding my own projects isn't really an option and I don't know 3D that well.

KittenofDoom
Apr 15, 2003

Me posting IRL
I'm going to AAU for illustration, and I haven't had any regrets yet. Yes, it's expensive, but there's no requirement that you stay there until you finish your degree. Are you working on your BFA? Plenty of us are in it for the degree (MFA to teach college, in my case), but there are a lot of practical skills to be gained in the meantime. AAU is entirely about working on the fundamentals, and they have some really, really good people teaching there.

There are also a bunch of whiny, spoiled rich kids running around, but they get weeded out fairly fast. If you commit to the work, you'll generally gain the skills you need.

Onox
May 24, 2010

KittenofDoom posted:

I'm going to AAU for illustration, and I haven't had any regrets yet. Yes, it's expensive, but there's no requirement that you stay there until you finish your degree. Are you working on your BFA? Plenty of us are in it for the degree (MFA to teach college, in my case), but there are a lot of practical skills to be gained in the meantime. AAU is entirely about working on the fundamentals, and they have some really, really good people teaching there.

There are also a bunch of whiny, spoiled rich kids running around, but they get weeded out fairly fast. If you commit to the work, you'll generally gain the skills you need.

Okay. Glad to hear there's someone who is enjoying their stay there. I've got a friend doing the fine arts course there and he enjoys it as well. He says that sometimes the workload overwhelms him but it's mainly because he's lazy as hell.

I don't mind the expensive cost or having to pay back the loan for my entire adult life, I just fear that there won't be a place for me in the industry after I finish. If not, I'll have to join the military to pay it all back. I just want to do something that I love doing now, and finding a college that suits that was pretty tough.

The part when you said AAU is about working on fundamentals made me shudder a bit. If I wanted to learn the fundamentals, I would watch video tutorials all day. I want to learn firsthand experience what it's like in the industry and learn some of the more advanced techniques.

KittenofDoom
Apr 15, 2003

Me posting IRL
They teach all the advanced stuff too, obviously, but none of it is worth crap if you don't understand things like anatomy, how to draw or how things move.

Onox
May 24, 2010

KittenofDoom posted:

They teach all the advanced stuff too, obviously, but none of it is worth crap if you don't understand things like anatomy, how to draw or how things move.

Well yes, of course.

Black Is Black
Jan 6, 2007

Qirex and other people actually helped me years ago. I came out of a state school with a very lovely "visual communication" degree. I couldn't find a job to save my life in the Chicago area. Most of my days were spent living out of my car and hanging out in public places. The advice I was given was just to do work, any work, even for free. I ended up making my first website for a coffee house in exchange for letting me hang out and work on other stuff.

I worked from the ground up making stuff for free, then for very little money. Eventually I moved over 1,000 miles away to work at a job that I would be fired at 3 months later...

Now I make some of the coolest interfaces for the most "evil" banks in the world. Not bad for a $13,000 education.

Onox
May 24, 2010
Cool story.

Care to share more? I thought that was pretty interesting to be honest. You could make a book out of that and other ways to jump start your designer life.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Hey dude, I'd forgotten your forums username but it's good to hear you're still in the game.

One thing to keep in mind is that most of the people working and making hiring decisions in the kinds of jobs you want don't have an educational background in this stuff. There's still a few industries [notably advertising] where you should have gone to art school but most of this stuff didn't exist 10-15 years ago. I know 3 people who do effects work on feature films. One is a physics dropout, one has a traditional animation degree and one went to UCLA film school.

I'm not trying to talk anybody out of anything but any instruction would just be a step and not an end result. When hiring managers look at portfolios or demo reels what they're looking for is a level beyond what you can get in a classroom that shows serious personal initiative and passion for the craft. If you think classroom instruction will help you get that faster then go for it, just don't think that passing a class or program is the end result. It just will equip you better to do it yourself.

edit: Also don't think that it will improve your starting wages at all, that's the big dilemma. It's way easier to work for peanuts for a couple years if you don't have a giant loan payment hanging over you.

qirex fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Jun 2, 2010

alternatekev
Sep 30, 2003

I'd rather shove a fork in my eye than use Windows.

Black Is Black posted:

Qirex and other people actually helped me years ago.

"Other people." :v:

Bombchu
Mar 6, 2009

u ok

Bombchu fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Dec 24, 2019

Hazed_blue
May 14, 2002
Ugh. Scenario time.

New studio is a potentially huge career advancement, but puts you in the middle of nowhere, away from all friends and relatives. Extremely stable and respected place to work.

Current studio would allow you to work full-time for new studio as an outsourcer (and possibly on their books), but career advancement would be halted. You'd actually have to take a step back, becoming a regular dude instead of a lead. But staying allows you to continue living where you enjoy, within driving distance of both you and your wife's family.

What do you do?

edit: to be more clear, would you move to the middle of nowhere for your career, or stay local to do outsourced work for the same studio, but be capped in your advancement?

Hazed_blue fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Jun 21, 2010

Slashie
Mar 24, 2007

by Fistgrrl

Hazed_blue posted:

Ugh. Scenario time.

New studio is a potentially huge career advancement, but puts you in the middle of nowhere, away from all friends and relatives. Extremely stable and respected place to work.

Current studio would allow you to work full-time for new studio as an outsourcer (and possibly on their books), but career advancement would be halted. You'd actually have to take a step back, becoming a regular dude instead of a lead. But staying allows you to continue living where you enjoy, within driving distance of both you and your wife's family.

What do you do?

Do you have kids? What's your wife's career situation like right now? Basically I'm trying to figure out whether you're in a situation where it might be workable for your family to take one for the team for a fixed period of time. If New Studio's not where you want to be long-term, what's your exit strategy if you took that job? Would the better position set you up for future opportunities at places you do want to work? If so, how long is that likely to take?

If you think you could work at New Studio for say, a year or two, and turn that into a much better career where you actually want to live after that, and your wife's career is portable/put-on-hold-able, I'd say go for it. But if there's a chance you'd get stuck out there long-term, I think it would wear on you and her. Sacrifice is only worth it if there's an end in sight.

Hazed_blue
May 14, 2002

Slashie posted:

Do you have kids? What's your wife's career situation like right now? Basically I'm trying to figure out whether you're in a situation where it might be workable for your family to take one for the team for a fixed period of time. If New Studio's not where you want to be long-term, what's your exit strategy if you took that job? Would the better position set you up for future opportunities at places you do want to work? If so, how long is that likely to take?
Fortunately my wife is a photographer, so she can take her job anywhere that we go. We have a toddler and a newborn, and I think that's what makes this the most difficult. We currently have access to grandparents, aunts, uncles, nephews, and even great grandparents in the place that we live right now. If we move, it'll be the end of that for now. Family is so important, but at the same time, taking care of your own family is even more important. The nice thing is that New Studio and Current Studio are both owned by the same Parent Company, so the exit strategy wouldn't be a big issue. And yeah, if I were to work for New Studio on location, that would open up a huge amount of doors for me, which is why I feel like it might be worth it. I would be so much happier working for them too, which I know is a big plus for the wife.
I think we could enjoy this new place as a family, it's just the distance that makes it so tough. But I mean, drat... New Studio, a studio that I didn't think I was cut out for at this point in my career, is hopping up and down at the chance to get me in-house as a lead. Can I really pretend that I wouldn't be crushed if I missed out on that?

Slashie
Mar 24, 2007

by Fistgrrl

Hazed_blue posted:

Fortunately my wife is a photographer, so she can take her job anywhere that we go. We have a toddler and a newborn, and I think that's what makes this the most difficult. We currently have access to grandparents, aunts, uncles, nephews, and even great grandparents in the place that we live right now. If we move, it'll be the end of that for now. Family is so important, but at the same time, taking care of your own family is even more important. The nice thing is that New Studio and Current Studio are both owned by the same Parent Company, so the exit strategy wouldn't be a big issue. And yeah, if I were to work for New Studio on location, that would open up a huge amount of doors for me, which is why I feel like it might be worth it. I would be so much happier working for them too, which I know is a big plus for the wife.
I think we could enjoy this new place as a family, it's just the distance that makes it so tough. But I mean, drat... New Studio, a studio that I didn't think I was cut out for at this point in my career, is hopping up and down at the chance to get me in-house as a lead. Can I really pretend that I wouldn't be crushed if I missed out on that?

Well if it were me, I would try New Studio for a set period of time. If you can't make something happen in, say, two years at New Studio, you'll look for something else back home. I totally get how important it is to have family nearby when you've got babies, but people manage. Toddlers love Skype.

My boyfriend and I work in a really demanding field too, and while we don't have children, we recently agreed to move somewhere much less convenient for me so he can follow a huge opportunity. We have the advantage that his work is project-based, so there's a set ending point already, but it was still a tough decision since it's going to affect my career in a big way for the duration. But, like you, my boyfriend knew he just couldn't pass this chance by.

Obviously I can't tell you how to live your life, but you and your wife wouldn't be in creative fields if you weren't willing to take risks, right? And at least your kids are young enough to be fairly portable, in a way. Elementary age is where it gets really hard to move, because changing schools can be such a big deal for kids.

2 Tone Kenobi
Jun 22, 2010

azumi posted:

These are two good schools located in Cincinnati, OH. which might be close to you.

http://www.artacademy.edu/index.html
This school focusses mainly on artistic skill and expression and might be best for cultivating only drawing skills. If you are really interested in improving your artistic expression, I suggest this school. (It's also cheaper).

http://www.daap.uc.edu/daap/
This is one of the top art schools in the US, but they don't have an illustration major, only fine arts.

I got my BFA in electronic art through DAAP and stuck around for grad school. Something to know going in is that UC's art program is much more conceptual than other programs. For instance, if you're looking to hone technical skills UC wouldn't be as solid of a fit, but if you're really interested in 'improving your artistic expression' then DAAP is very willing to foster that.

Beat.
Nov 22, 2003

Hey, baby, wanna come up and see my etchings?

Hazed_blue posted:

Where I live, metro Phoenix, my observation is that photography is like any other service industry - reputation and referrals are a lot more important than your background or technical know how (though a base line has to be there.) So really I read your situation as most likely saddling the wife with the kids while you pursue your career, which seems fine as long as you're on the same page about all that. Even if you move to another metro area it will take her some time to get established unless she's already got prospects with some kind of commercial outfit, or is one of the rare super-famous photogs that is known everywhere (I am betting she is not given the tone of your post.) And if you're in the middle of nowhere with no reputation, good luck to her building that photography career. Or any career whatsoever.

This is really a discussion for you and your wife to have, since you have so much additional poo poo on the line: your wifes career, your kids futures. And you should discuss all the possibilities, like her handling the majority of the child care and foregoing serious career opportunities (whatever direction she's headed.)

The reality of any career minded individual in this day and age is that you're gonna have to move a few times, it's unfortunate but that is just how it is. But don't kid yourself about the impact all that will have on everything else.

Lastly, don't bullshit yourself about numbers - do some real analysis about what kind of pay jump and opportunities you're getting vs. what you lose from whatever wifes income, plus potential income over the next 3-5 years, you lose. I am not married right now but the prospect of losing a 2nd income + possible future cash for extended period would really put me off this scenario. Especially if I had kids.

TheKingPuuChuu
Oct 13, 2005

Reality leaves a lot to the imagination.

Hazed_blue posted:

Ugh. Scenario time.

What do you do?

edit: to be more clear, would you move to the middle of nowhere for your career, or stay local to do outsourced work for the same studio, but be capped in your advancement?

I'm living this right now. I left a stable job(that would leave me capped in my advancement) in order to start an internship at an extremely respected and big firm in NYC. Potential huge career, portfolio advancements, but yeah, I'm really bummed about the lack of my wife and friends.

I agree with Beat, on many levels. Discuss this with your wife. I did, and it was a tough decision to make, I had to crunch a lot of numbers and potential opportunities, and yeah, I've left Phoenix for the humid oven of NYC.

Octorok
Mar 27, 2007

So, I'm pretty well situated on my way of being a career design student.

But right now, I really want to teach myself (and eventually master) illustration in my spare time for pet projects
More notably, I want to learn rendering, posing/characterization, and comic style/formatting

I've been setting aside a decent amount of cash in order track down essential resources (i.e. books & DVDs mostly)
Finding the most effective way to successfully teach myself.

Before it gets mentioned, I already know that going this route is going to be much harder and much less effective than taking actual classes.
I'm already an art student, but I am way beyond any point of flexibility for electives, so it can't be helped.

Anyways, for a long time, I was whole-heartedly considering the ConceptArt.org learning materials

http://www.conceptartstore.com/stcl.html
until I realized the only worthwhile thing they offer are live streaming classes.

I'm not even quite sure what they are or how they work. They seem to be online workshops, but it seems the material is only accessible for one week out of the year when the actual class partakes.
Unless it is only referring to teacher and student involvement.

So unless I can get an alternate option or a contrary testimony, I'm better off putting all that money solely into books and maybe a couple DVDs.

I've completed a handful of traditional art classes here and there, so I have a decent drawing and painting foundation, and I'll try to go to any life drawing sessions whenever they pop up.
More importantly, I've built up a good working association with local professors, so I have access to some worthwhile feedback.

Any opinions?

Beat.
Nov 22, 2003

Hey, baby, wanna come up and see my etchings?
I've never done a concept art workshop but I have a bunch of videos I've collected from different sources by some of the concept art teachers. I think they're good, and I often just leave them playing as background noise when I'm working. I think Jason Manley (massive black) is one of the main guys making the ones I've seen. These are from the downloadable content, not the online classes. Manley, at least, really knows his poo poo and I find the way he talks to be very engaging. He doesn't waste time bullshitting. So there's that to their credit.

The thing is, if you don't have time, you don't have time. I really think with creative work (or any work) mastering what you're doing is very important. If you just approach figurative stuff half-assed, you will never master it. It's simply too time consuming. So it's an issue of priorities and professional goals, rather than interest. Everything is interesting. I think print design, web design, industrial design are all really fascinating but I don't focus on those things right now because I have a particular end-game in mind which doesn't really place any of those things at high importance. I can hire someone or have a motivated intern to do that kind of work if necessary, later.

I also think workshops are for working professionals or retired rich folks. Where I live workshops are fairly pricey and unless you get a break by expensing it they're probably the worst bang-for-buck training you can get. A working pro who already has years of experience drawing or painting will be able to apply that knowledge a lot more readily / easily than a student will, and maybe get some value out of whatever they learn at that workshop.

Octorok
Mar 27, 2007

Thanks, that's pretty much what I needed to hear about workshops in general. I'll definitely check out those DVDs and downloadable videos, but I'll probably take this over to the creative resources thread.

I appreciate the concern, but the issue isn't so much time and effort as it is tuition and all my credit hours being tied up with trying to graduate for the next year or so.

There is also the benefit of being able to work at my own pace, at my own hours, since I take extra time to learn things as in-depth as I can.

Hazed_blue
May 14, 2002

TheKingPuuChuu posted:

I agree with Beat, on many levels. Discuss this with your wife. I did, and it was a tough decision to make, I had to crunch a lot of numbers and potential opportunities, and yeah, I've left Phoenix for the humid oven of NYC.
She and I have talked about it a lot. A whoooole lot. We agreed that while this other place is not the city we could see ourselves "settle down" in, it's such a huge door-opener that I can't pass it up. It would hurt to be so far away from our family, but with a toddler and a newborn, it would mean we'd be embarking on an adventure together, as a family for the first time. That would be pretty rad.

It's been over a month since I last talked with them, so I wasn't even sure if the position would still be open. I called up the other studio yesterday, to let them know that I'm interested and would like to come have a look around.

"Great! When can we fly you up?"

So. I guess I'm gonna go have a look around...

Woof! Woof!
Aug 21, 2006

Supporters of whatever they're calling the club this week.
I work at an agency that was just named an Agency to Watch for Ad Age's Next A-List.

I write there and work with creatives of all disciplines.

Feel free to ask me any questions you may have about the creative end of advertising. I'll try my best to answer.

Woof! Woof! fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Jul 16, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mareep
Dec 26, 2009

Hello, thread. :) I'm looking for a bit of advice, but need to get out my general backstory first:

I'm currently attending an in-state school aiming to be a Visual Communications major. I just completed my foundations year and will be spending the next year as a Photo major because I failed to make the cut into the VisComm program. 18 people get in every year after a portfolio review/interview and I just happened to slip through the cracks, for any number of reasons.

I was pretty bummed, to say the least (I had multiple current-VisComm-major friends, worked with them as a layout designer for the college paper, who checked my portfolio and was convinced I was a sure-fire in). So I heard from my boss, a VisComm major herself, that one of the three VC professors was hoping that we rejects would go and talk to him about not making the cut, so I did. The professors basically told me I was almost in, that they had to guarantee several of the already-few spots to foreign students every year, that they let in five reapplicants who didn't make it the year before, etc. etc. After I kept meeting with the professors, they actually were impressed by my persistence and petitioned the art department to let me into the program that year despite not making the initial cut (which they've done before)--but the art department said no dice. So many good people got rejected this year that they would require reopening and redoing all the interviews for the sake of fairness (meh).

So where I stand right now is I'm staring in the face of a five-year graphic design degree, spending my next year taking whatever art classes I feel like and finishing up my gen-eds. I'm also taking an independent study with one of the VisComm professors after pursuing any possible avenues to take any VisComm classes that I could. I basically have my foot completely in the door for next year's VisComm class, all things considered.

I'm divided over a lot of things. I'm perfectly happy and extremely excited to be going into graphic design, and I would not mind in the least to be stepping into that career field for the rest of my life. However, it's not really my "dream"... at least, it's not the biggest and best of my dream careers. My most passionate interests lie in concept design/3D modeling/animating... lots of digital animation stuff. I would be more specific here and sound less uncertain but I should probably be sleeping rather than writing this post :(

I've thought about going ahead and doing my graphic design degree, and then going on to getting a master's in something more related to what I'd rather be doing. But I don't know if this is actually feasible at all. How could I get into a grad program for something I have very little experience in? It doesn't make sense. Would I have to go back and get another bachelor's?

The real kicker here that makes most of this post, sadly, conjecture, is that I really can't afford to go out-of-state--at least, not to an art school that would have the kind of respectable program I'm looking for (:siren: at least not for my undergrad!). For reference, SCAD was my absolute dream-school throughout high school, but when it came down to it I just couldn't afford it, nor justify bringing that amount of debt on my head (even factoring in the projected "$10,000 a year in scholarships" that the advisers I spoke to told me). I think if push REALLY came to shove I could somehow manage it, but, well. The reason I wrote about being set back a year is that, well, I had all my poo poo together and still got set back a year and now have to face a five-year undergrad here unless I switch schools and/or majors, so I thought it might be relevant to any feedback in that vein.

Still, I'd really like to get some feedback on this if possible, even if it's not what I want to hear. That is, for the sake of the post, let's pretend I could switch schools at the drop of the hat. Am I setting myself up for complete and utter devotion to graphic design with no looking back? If I follow through at my current school, will I need to start back at square one for digital animation? Will I get anything out of going into a grad program?

mareep fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Jul 18, 2010