Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Johnny Deformed
Jun 11, 2005

Because fact into doubt... won't go.
Just watched the last episode. Oh man. Holy poo poo. Powerful stuff, and no one got the ending I thought they would - Shane kills himself and his family out of nowhere, Ronnie just gets arrested and Vic gets away with everything!! I had to take a little break after the ridiculously awesome 'confession' episode but I was sure the deal would go bad and he'd get hosed over because of it. But no, it was the worst possible outcome, Shane kills himself, clearing Vic and Ronnie, but Vic's already confessed and Ronnie is just hosed!

Have to admit I was really disappointed with the lack of resolution in Dutch's storyline, I was expecting either a major twist or a major bust with that serial killer storyline - not that I didn't enjoy it in the meantime, but I guess I just felt Dutch was underused throughout the series, he was awesome.

The Shield is definitely one of the top few shows I've ever seen. I'm definitely going to have to watch it again (not soon though, my heart can't take the stress).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)

Johnny Deformed posted:

Have to admit I was really disappointed with the lack of resolution in Dutch's storyline, I was expecting either a major twist or a major bust with that serial killer storyline - not that I didn't enjoy it in the meantime, but I guess I just felt Dutch was underused throughout the series, he was awesome.

According to an interview with the creator, you're supposed to assume Dutch busts the kid. Also, they used the actor's wife for the lawyer to imply Dutch and her would get together. He has the happiest of the endings, although it's almost all implied/off-screen. At least we got to see him bust Ronnie, which he was hoping to do.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Johnny Deformed posted:

But no, it was the worst possible outcome, Shane kills himself, clearing Vic and Ronnie, but Vic's already confessed and Ronnie is just hosed!

Keep in mind that even though Shane had killed himself, the police already had enough to at least get Ronnie thrown off the force (which Vic didn't know about) and Vic's confession to ICE was also providing them a weapon to basically put Ronnie away for life in prison. That was the worst thing for me, Vic was essentially throwing Ronnie to the wolves. He knew that his statement couldn't be used against himself but could be used against Ronnie, and he only did it to protect his family.... who didn't actually need any protection (other than from Vic himself).

Those are last season spoilers, by the way, to anyone reading this.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...
Dutch also wins because he had the chance to form participate in two of the greatest detective duos of all time.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.
Great one-day deal at Amazon for anyone holding out for the series complete set:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002M2T1UO

deltawing
Sep 20, 2007

feels good man

SKULE123 posted:

Great one-day deal at Amazon for anyone holding out for the series complete set:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002M2T1UO

I impulse bought this, I LOVED The Wire so yeah, I could NOT pass this up.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Wow, thats a huge discount.

bigmike
Oct 20, 2003

Thanks for the link - picked this up... for Mother's Day. Yeah, that's right.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
Ain't no thing. My mother loves Deadwood and Al Swearingen in particular with a fiery passion.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Jerusalem posted:

Keep in mind that even though Shane had killed himself, the police already had enough to at least get Ronnie thrown off the force (which Vic didn't know about) and Vic's confession to ICE was also providing them a weapon to basically put Ronnie away for life in prison. That was the worst thing for me, Vic was essentially throwing Ronnie to the wolves. He knew that his statement couldn't be used against himself but could be used against Ronnie, and he only did it to protect his family.... who didn't actually need any protection (other than from Vic himself).

Those are last season spoilers, by the way, to anyone reading this.

Actually, all the poo poo that Ronnie got thrown at him is probably more than enough to get him the death sentence ten times over. Vic literally hosed up his entire life

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Ddraig posted:

Actually, all the poo poo that Ronnie got thrown at him is probably more than enough to get him the death sentence ten times over. Vic literally hosed up his entire life

Even if the system didn't do that, you can guarantee that he wouldn't last more than a few days in prison, being an ex-cop. Even without people like Antwon Mitchell in there, he's basically a dead man walking. <--- Season 7 ending spoilers.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
I don't know if anyone here will know the answer, but is the deal Vic made actually plausible in reality? Would the Feds (or whoever it was, I don't recall) actually offer immunity to someone without first knowing the crimes they were granting immunity for?

OldSenileGuy fucked around with this message at 05:11 on May 8, 2010

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

OldSenileGuy posted:

I don't know if anyone here will know the answer, but is the deal Vic made actually plausible in reality? Would the Feds (or whoever it was, I don't recall) actually offer immunity to someone without first knowing the crimes they were granting immunity for?

I'm not a fed but I have some common sense

I cannot imagine such a thing taking place. ICE--specifically those who agreed to Vic's deal--are made to look like total jackasses because of it. At some point along the way you'd think someone would go "man this guy really wants blanket immunity, what could he possibly have been into?", though it would have made for a much less impactful finale if ICE did in 2-3 episodes what people had been trying to do for 7 seasons by figuring out Vic and nailing him.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 05:11 on May 8, 2010

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
You two might want to spoiler those past two posts..just saying is all
To contribute, on the other hand, I can't imagine they were expecting a laundry list of crimes the size of Vick's. Police brutality here, illegal search & seizure there, they could possibly overlook, but I mean, drat, when you think about it, he did a whole lot of hosed up things, especially as a law enforcement agent.

Morkfang
Dec 9, 2009

I'm awesome.
:smug:
This show might have ruined my MSc studies. I was supposed to work on four assignments and then I foolishly started watching The Shield to see what all the hype is about. Oh boy, the hook got me hard and deep, so I had to watch 'em all in a huge binge. I don't think I have ever watched another show that made me sit there and say out loudly "Jesus gently caress, did that just happen?!". Amazing.

Thank $deity I still have about 3 weeks now to finish my assignments. Although I might have made a mistake and started watching House now. Will I ever get my MSc done? :S

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

OldSenileGuy posted:

No. They would either A) already know everything you did before getting a deal or B) make you tell them everything you did before getting the deal. They're not gonna offer something like immunity then go in blind as far as what you did. Stuff like treason are pretty serious to where they wont give someone blanket immunity for it especially in exchange for busting some drug distributor. Even regular mafia type people who cooperate often don't get 100% immunity. I liked the finale but that part of it was pretty off the wall.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 05:12 on May 8, 2010

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Makarov_ posted:

The other Shield thread has made it to the archives, so I'll post my question here.

I was watching S2 E9 'Co-Pilot' again and thinking about it:

For those who don't recall, this was the 'prequal' episode. Sadly, there is no audio commentary track on the DVD.

Can someone link to an explanation by Sean Ryan as to why they made this episode? Did they feel they were 'losing' the audience in terms of sympathizing with Vic?

The way the story plays out, it's an indictment of the entire system, almost saying the department made Vic the way he turns out to be.

This is somewhat of a late reply but Shawn Ryan has shed some light on this. After the show was over he gave an interview with Alan Sepinwall where he said that one of the few regrets he had on the show was having Vic kill at the end of the first episode because the rest of the show tries to claw back from that 'evil' side of Vic. He used the device purely as a hook and if he were to do the show again he would've had that scene happen about halfway through the first Season instead so the writers could at least make it appear somewhat justified (Not to us but to Vic). 'Co-Pilot' is sort of a way to make up for that and provides a somewhat neat retcon.

I have to say I do sort of agree with Ryan, the scene is a neat 'Holy poo poo' moment but the pilot was just fine without it.

DrVenkman fucked around with this message at 01:04 on May 8, 2010

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
Personally, I thought it was a masterstroke by Ryan. Not often a show starts with big giant balls like that.

Edit: Plus, y'know, the sheer "HOLY gently caress THE COMMISH JUST SHOT KELLERMAN IN THE FACE!"

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...

rejutka posted:

Personally, I thought it was a masterstroke by Ryan. Not often a show starts with big giant balls like that.

Edit: Plus, y'know, the sheer "HOLY gently caress THE COMMISH JUST SHOT KELLERMAN IN THE FACE!"

I think on one of the commentaries, Ryan described it as "his revenge for Hill Street Blues" or something to that effect. In the HSB pilot, two cops were gunned down and left for dead, but recovered a few episodes later and went back to their beat.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005

DrVenkman posted:

This is somewhat of a late reply but Shawn Ryan has shed some light on this. After the show was over he gave an interview with Alan Sepinwall where he said that one of the few regrets he had on the show was having Vic kill at the end of the first episode because the rest of the show tries to claw back from that 'evil' side of Vic. He used the device purely as a hook and if he were to do the show again he would've had that scene happen about halfway through the first Season instead so the writers could at least make it appear somewhat justified (Not to us but to Vic). 'Co-Pilot' is sort of a way to make up for that and provides a somewhat neat retcon.

I have to say I do sort of agree with Ryan, the scene is a neat 'Holy poo poo' moment but the pilot was just fine without it.

I'm very familiar with the interview you speak of and he says it painted them into a corner but he has no regrets. And I shall quote....

You've said often that you wrote the pilot without ever
expecting it would be made, and that you made it without ever expecting it would go to series, let alone a series that would run this long. With 20/20 hindsight, if you had known what the show would become, is there anything you would have done differently with that pilot?

Boy, I don't know. I know you and I have had conversations about, "Is the Vic Mackey who shot Terry Crowley in the pilot the same Vic Mackey who exists in the series afterwards?" Different people have different opinions about that. I think it worked. Maybe I would have held it back in episode two if I knew we would be on, but when we made that pilot, you have no such assurances. You have to establish who your character is and what the dilemma is. If we had some assurance, it would have been cool to have Reed Diamond on the show for four or five episodes and see Vic and Shane wrestle with what to do. Certainly, there could have been a very good story to tell about that -- maybe they try to set Terry up so he loses his job before he can rat on them. But that's just me thinking right now about it.

Since this is the final time we're going to discuss this, was there any point in the run of the series where you said to yourself, "Man, I wish I hadn't made Vic kill a cop way back when, because it kind of gets in the way of the point I want to make here?"

No.

[note the absence of regret or Co-Pilot being a retcon]

more amusing is what one response writer wrote...

"Vic Mackey said...
Hi everyone,

I just wanted to check in, and give you all an update on what has been happening since my show ended.

The Barn fell into a mundane existence when Claudette retired and Dutch took over. The numbers were not spectacular (considering we weren't there to keep a lid on things), and the brass shut it down. Dutch is now Metro Division Commander, a plum assignment and talk is he'll be a Deputy Chief in the next 5 years.

Ronnie. Man, I feel sick about him. He found some hotshot lawyer who convinced the powers that be a big showy trial would be bad PR for the department. Then Ronnie had a change of heart, went to trial in Santa Clarita and got himself off! He still doesn't answer my calls.

Acevada won the election, then one year in got caught fooling around on his wife with a TV reporter. He's a slick one, managed to get all of his programs passed anyway. as much as we were opposites, you gotta respect a guy with less morals than even me.

While I am stuck here at ICE, I have been doing some independent work on my own, to the point even Dutch calls me once in awhile for intel. Not everyone hated me at the barn, so I keep my fingers in whatever I can.

I can't wait to get out of here, altho I do like my new boss much more than Olivia, who was transferred to Brownsville to do immigration checks.

I'll post more when I can, right now I have to run down something from a text message I got from my daughter last night... "

Wattsamatta
Feb 24, 2008

Just finished the series.

Jesus... Jesus Christ.

I ... don't know what to do with the rest of my life right now.

Final episode: NOOO CLAUDETTE you are too awesome for this world.

Dutch, did you get the kid? Are you going to bang the lawyer? What about Dany? Kill any cats lately? You wierd, awesome son of a bitch.

Vic ... what now? Are you going to roam the streets at night trying to atone for what you did to Ronnie? Kill yourself? Shoot Olivia in her goddamn bitch face? Hunt down Corrine and kill her annoying rear end? Kill everyone? WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO DO?

Ronnie was the most dangerous of the Strike Team by far, even from the first couple episodes of the series. The people who say he was useless at the beginning were absolutely not paying enough attention. Ronnie did everything that was asked of him, with little to no complaint. Ever. He was fanatically loyal and was willing to do anything to support his team and not go to jail. He was the one guy who would have pulled the trigger on anyone at any time. He was the guided missle that Vic could always count on. loving guy was a stone-cold-killer. And I still feel sorry for him. Take some of Antwon's thugs down to hell with you you beautiful bastard.

Wait.. what about Dany and Vic's kid? I mean they didn't close that loop. Vic served the papers and then they made a deal. What happened there?

And Shane... what the gently caress... I just... wow. Uhhh. gently caress.

I need to call my parents and tell them I love them or something.

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)
I bought the Complete Series Collection back during the great deal, and it just arrived.
The packaging is beautiful, and very well done. Very, very glad I bought it.

Northern_most
Mar 29, 2010

User-Friendly posted:

I bought the Complete Series Collection back during the great deal, and it just arrived.
The packaging is beautiful, and very well done. Very, very glad I bought it.

Were the DVDs all secure? I have read about people getting this boxset w/ scratched discs.

Metajo Cum Dumpster
Mar 20, 2005
Vic's face at the end of the finale when he realized what he did, before he accepted his situation, was awesome.

http://i39.tinypic.com/e7ik3t.jpg

Somebody fucked around with this message at 20:08 on May 11, 2010

bigmike
Oct 20, 2003

^ Might want to link that image. That's a pretty loving huge spoiler. (This is pretty much why I stopped reading this thread until I was done the series)

Regardless, Vic's face throughout the whole finale was amazing. For someone who ALWAYS had something to say, whether concocting a plan to get out of a jam, or being in the right place to fire a quip at Dutch, for him to sit pretty much in silence the whole episode was really powerful.

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)

braden posted:

Were the DVDs all secure? I have read about people getting this boxset w/ scratched discs.

They're slid between the cardboard of the pages, but since those reviews were written they added little paper covers to the tops and bottoms of the disc to protect them. None of my discs were scratched.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
whenever people start going on about how 3D Tv will change the game, I tell them they can gently caress off until they convert The Shield into 3D.

Vic Macky kicking perp rear end in my living room is a dream

Ghost Captain
Apr 22, 2008

I did it wit my lil hatchet

User-Friendly posted:

They're slid between the cardboard of the pages, but since those reviews were written they added little paper covers to the tops and bottoms of the disc to protect them. None of my discs were scratched.

I have the same set with the paper sleeves and the video is corrupted in a few spots. I got the whole set for 64 dollars, though, so it was still worth it.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
The Commish in on Netflix on demand. If you want to see a good example of what actors do it's phenomenal watching how he does the Commish relative to Vic.

Wartime Consigliere
Mar 27, 2010

by T. Fine

Ghost Captain posted:

I have the same set with the paper sleeves and the video is corrupted in a few spots. I got the whole set for 64 dollars, though, so it was still worth it.

I did this too, but mine works perfectly. The paper sleeves suck though, always ripping and so forth. [/Billings]

I just discovered this series awhile ago, got to about season 3 through Netflix before I saw the deal and got it. I am up to Season 6, just watched Episode 3.

I'm not sure where this is headed but man, I love this show.

Wartime Consigliere
Mar 27, 2010

by T. Fine
I finished the series tonight.

How depressing.

I hated Kavanaugh in Season 5 but only because Forest Whittaker did an incredible job.

I had never shed a tear for a TV show or movie until Lem go BOOM!

You think at the end that Vic is in his own personal hell, but then you realize the job ends after 3 years. He can go home at night -- to no one, but he's not spending the rest of his life in jail like Ronnie. Vic really only has guilt to deal with while everyone else paid a much higher price. Vic hardly saw his kids before anyways.

I really liked Ronnie and wish he had a bigger role in the previous seasons. Man it was strange seeing Season 1 episodes again. Ronnie with just a mustache.

Shane, well the whole final season is a tragedy for him and Mara. You see the level of desperation just increase each time they are on screen. I don't know how he could ever have done that though. His character really changed from Season 1 when he was broken up about Terry to the end.

I really expected the show to keep going because the Lloyd storyline was unresolved but nope.

And man, I really hated Claudette throughout the whole series.

Wartime Consigliere fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Jun 4, 2010

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Remulak posted:

The Commish in on Netflix on demand. If you want to see a good example of what actors do it's phenomenal watching how he does the Commish relative to Vic.

I used to watch this for some bizarre reason, I was weirdly fascinated with the show and I remember giggling every time the fat old Commish would go on a raid with his gun drawn because he looked so stupid. If I learned one thing from that show, it was that Michael Chiklis can NOT be intimidating to save his career!

SagatPunisherFanFic
Apr 16, 2009

Wartime Consigliere posted:

You don't know what you're talking about!

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)

How is this even possible? Claudette is one of the best characters in the show!

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Are you serious? She's the most sympathetic character that made it to the end.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!
I'm going through the series for the nth time, and, after watching the first few season one episodes, I skipped ahead to season two.

That's not to say season one sucks, but it's definitely the lowest ranked of the seven. It reasonable; most shows need some time to evolve. I've just seen it too many times to watch Sean Ryan perfect his vision again.

But I have no doubt in my mind mind that season one is the least best. Bookend to bookend, Kid Rock to Coldplay, it really stands out as the most generic.

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

Wattsamatta posted:

Ronnie did everything that was asked of him, with little to no complaint. Ever. He was fanatically loyal and was willing to do anything to support his team and not go to jail. He was the one guy who would have pulled the trigger on anyone at any time. He was the guided missle that Vic could always count on. loving guy was a stone-cold-killer.

This isn't really that true, though.

Ronnie was skeptical of a lot of things at various points throughout the show; Lem seemed like the more loyal guy even though he couldn't be brought into everything due to being less bad than the rest. Ronnie always seemed a little too detached, and it was mentioned out loud (by Kavanaugh) that Ronnie was the smart guy who could get away with all of it. He always seemed like the one guy on the team that could, at any given moment, save his own rear end and abandon everyone.

That's what made his plot in the final season interesting; he went from being the guy that could have a shot at survival to getting way too deep into the whole thing and getting a thirst for blood. He ended up being a huge loving rear end in a top hat too and if he hadn't been so hell bent on killing Shane, he'd be free.

Wartime Consigliere
Mar 27, 2010

by T. Fine

User-Friendly posted:

How is this even possible? Claudette is one of the best characters in the show!

She's a great character, I just absolutely hated her. Maybe it's all the holier-than-thou bullshit or something, I don't know, but apparently her kids felt the same way. As did her ex-husband and the one love interest she had during the whole series. I absolutely loved her freaking out when she learns Vic got immunity. I was glad she Didn't get promoted to Captain in Season 4.

Remulak posted:

Are you serious? She's the most sympathetic character that made it to the end.

Not really, Claudette has a lot of stuff happening but I can't say I feel sorry for her. Her attitude pretty much alienates everyone around her except for Dutch, who just refuses to be alienated no matter how hard she tries. Claudette has no friends, she rarely sees her daughter and can't bring herself to get along with her and her husband in the early seasons. The whole thing with the DA where she picks this big fight and refuses to give in then gets angry at Dutch for doing the right thing and solving it... Claudette is everything but sympathetic. But with all that said, she definitely adds to the show, and I wouldn't change anything about her character.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
Claudette is sanctamonious but in a cast of characters who are so morally bankrupt her well intentioned morals & ethics are vividly contrasted

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!
Claudette is the most morally bankrupt character on The Shield. People always forget that in the episode where her daughter showed up they revealed that Claudette smoked cigarettes while pregnant.

• Locked thread