Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hakkeshu
Aug 10, 2005

Blinging in the Wastes!
I got one I'd like to remember the name of. It was back in 95 I got my first PC, a friend lent me a point & click adventure about some guy who warps into some comic series and becomes the dark hero with some sexy sidekick, I thought the game was necropolis but I was wrong, I thought it started with a N though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Septimus
Dec 9, 2005

Hakkeshu posted:

I got one I'd like to remember the name of. It was back in 95 I got my first PC, a friend lent me a point & click adventure about some guy who warps into some comic series and becomes the dark hero with some sexy sidekick, I thought the game was necropolis but I was wrong, I thought it started with a N though.

Noctropolis.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Hakkeshu posted:

Noctropolis.

edit: loving ninjas man!! :argh:

Hakkeshu
Aug 10, 2005

Blinging in the Wastes!

Saint Septimus posted:

Noctropolis.

Thanks much fellow goon!

Sheriff Man-Thong
Nov 16, 2006

UT! Here it comes again!
There was this game I played at a friend's house back in High school that I can't remember the name of. It was a 3rd person semi-fantasy fighting game with GREAT combat mechanics - lots of cool moves and destructible armor and using enemy weapons. I think it had sort of a South American theme to it or something... this ring a bell to anyone?

EDIT: Now that I think about it, I feel like it was long ago enough to be PS1 but in my head the graphics seem PS2. Sorry to be confusing.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

I'm trying to remember the name of an old space strategy game. You could play as multiple races, colonize multiple planets in the same star system, and I think there were multiple ways to win.

What I really remember as distinctive about the game is that all of the star systems had multiple planets/moons in orbit, and you could use espionage to sabotage the hell out of your opponents. I remember playing this on the Mac, but I think it was also available on the PC/Amiga...

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

Jet Jaguar posted:

I'm trying to remember the name of an old space strategy game. You could play as multiple races, colonize multiple planets in the same star system, and I think there were multiple ways to win.

What I really remember as distinctive about the game is that all of the star systems had multiple planets/moons in orbit, and you could use espionage to sabotage the hell out of your opponents. I remember playing this on the Mac, but I think it was also available on the PC/Amiga...

Sounds like Master of Orion 2, which was both for PC and Mac. It's the only old game I can think of that fits all of the criteria, at least. I can't imagine anyone forgetting about it though, it's just too memorable! Also, it's not old enough to be Amiga runnable, which makes me think it might be an older game than MOO2.

Maybe Galactic Civilizations 1. I'm not sure if it had multiple planets in each system though, and I can't remember if it had espionage at all (but the second game did).

AG3 fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Apr 24, 2010

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

AG3 posted:

Sounds like Master of Orion 2, which was both for PC and Mac. It's the only old game I can think of that fits all of the criteria, at least. I can't imagine anyone forgetting about it though, it's just too memorable! Also, it's not old enough to be Amiga runnable, which makes me think it might be an older game than MOO2.

Maybe Galactic Civilizations 1. I'm not sure if it had multiple planets in each system though, and I can't remember if it had espionage at all (but the second game did).

Yeah, I would hope I remember Master of Orion! (Speaking of which, it's now on sale at gog.com...)

Digging through MobyGames, I finally found the answer: Pax Imperia - http://www.mobygames.com/game/macintosh/pax-imperia. Huh, I had no idea they made a sequel.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Sheriff Man-Thong posted:

There was this game I played at a friend's house back in High school that I can't remember the name of. It was a 3rd person semi-fantasy fighting game with GREAT combat mechanics - lots of cool moves and destructible armor and using enemy weapons. I think it had sort of a South American theme to it or something... this ring a bell to anyone?

EDIT: Now that I think about it, I feel like it was long ago enough to be PS1 but in my head the graphics seem PS2. Sorry to be confusing.

Sounds like Die by the Sword or Rune.

Sheriff Man-Thong
Nov 16, 2006

UT! Here it comes again!

al-azad posted:

Sounds like Die by the Sword or Rune.

Looked up some screens from both of these and it's neither.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Sheriff Man-Thong posted:

If it isn't Rune or DBtS, it's got to be Severance: Blade of Darkness.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Hakkesshu posted:

If it isn't Rune or DBtS, it's got to be Severance: Blade of Darkness.

Came here to post this... and it's almost got to be this game, as there were several aztec/mayan architecturally themed levels.

Blade of Darkness ruled... although I personally thought Rune was more fun. :black101:

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
To all PS3 gamers:

It was a melee-based FPS game. Had a very "dark" setting, ie. lots of Silent Hill-esque enemies, and you'd just smash their heads in with pipes, your bare fists, etc.

Any ideas?

\/ You're absolutely right! Thanks.

melon cat fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Apr 27, 2010

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

melon cat posted:

To all PS3 gamers:

It was a melee-based FPS game. Had a very "dark" setting, ie. lots of Silent Hill-esque enemies, and you'd just smash their heads in with pipes, your bare fists, etc.

Any ideas?

Sounds a lot like condemned 2.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
There was a point and click adventure game I used to play back in 2002 at school that I've been trying to remember the name of. I remember a specific puzzle in it. The puzzle was that you needed to send a message to you female friend who was in a prison cell. You had to fill up a rubber glove with hellium and float it over to her through the outside of the jail.
Does anyone remember this? The game was probably PC only and it had a lot of item combining for puzzles. Also I remember there being a theme park level, which I think was in virtual reality.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Anjow posted:

There's an old strategy game I can't remember the name of. The following details may be sketchy.

It was probably from the early 90s. It involved one continent, divided into different outlined areas in the map view. The continent was like an inverted triangle, roughly. There were several leaders involved and you started off at the bottom of the continent. You had a globe (or two?) of some sort of power - similar in appearance to the Diablo 2 mana globe. When you went to attack a neighbouring region or defend one of your own, it went to a top-down view and you could generally control a single unit. You could take him around and attack with him. There were also siege engines such as mangonels and ballistas that were firing at this time. I think there may have been a castle-planning part where you could set out where you wanted your walls, turrets, troops.

Any ideas?

I found the answer. I suspected it may have been made by SSI so I went and looked through their list of games on wikipedia, clicking on each in turn. It turns out it was Fantasy Empires. Here's a screenshot:

Note the globes! I was wrong about the map shape though.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
What's that tower defense game that everyone raves about since it seems to have an actual storyline. It had an anime art style from what I recalled and I think the developer was selling it for like 5 bucks a while ago.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

moot the hopple posted:

What's that tower defense game that everyone raves about since it seems to have an actual storyline. It had an anime art style from what I recalled and I think the developer was selling it for like 5 bucks a while ago.

This game has pretty much the opposite of anime art style, but still, maybe you're looking for Immortal Defense.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Anjow posted:

I found the answer. I suspected it may have been made by SSI so I went and looked through their list of games on wikipedia, clicking on each in turn. It turns out it was Fantasy Empires. Here's a screenshot:

Note the globes! I was wrong about the map shape though.

I remember this game.

"Build Keeps!!"

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Sorry to bring this back from so long, but there was a game I played when I was young, it was a lot like Oregon Trail, except it was on the Amazon River. Anyone recall this?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

The Miracle posted:

Sorry to bring this back from so long, but there was a game I played when I was young, it was a lot like Oregon Trail, except it was on the Amazon River. Anyone recall this?

You need to go with your gut: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Amazon_Trail

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Amazon Trail

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amazon_Trail

Edit: derp! Ah well. I actually had this game, as it came with whatever early Windows version of Oregon Trail exited at the time. (Win95-ish)

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

The Miracle posted:

Amazon Trail :)

Edit: Haha, poo poo.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

moot the hopple posted:

There's a storyline in Defense Grid but I don't know if its art style is really that anime-like.

Captain_Obvius
Mar 3, 2008
I'm trying to remember a game, I remember very little about it besides the fact that it was about dinosaurs; I think you played as a human/caveman I'm not sure if you time traveled or not. It is at least 12-14 years old at this point. It was definatley a console game though i don't remember which; sega? original nintendo? super nintendo? Your character moved from left to right like in mario- although the game might have auto moved you along if you waited for too long (not sure). Finally i think you shot stuff and I remember it being little brown/beige balls. Can anyone help me out here? I know I haven't told you much but if you give me a list of old dinosaur games I can research it on my own. Thanks.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Captain_Obvius posted:

I'm trying to remember a game, I remember very little about it besides the fact that it was about dinosaurs; I think you played as a human/caveman I'm not sure if you time traveled or not. It is at least 12-14 years old at this point. It was definatley a console game though i don't remember which; sega? original nintendo? super nintendo? Your character moved from left to right like in mario- although the game might have auto moved you along if you waited for too long (not sure). Finally i think you shot stuff and I remember it being little brown/beige balls. Can anyone help me out here? I know I haven't told you much but if you give me a list of old dinosaur games I can research it on my own. Thanks.

There's the Bonk series, Bignose the Caveman, Joe and Mac (aka Caveman Ninja in Europe), Joe and Mac 2, Congo's Caper, the later stages of EVO the Search for Eden, and the Adventure Island series.

If it's not there, then try this list: http://www.mobygames.com/game-group/caveman-protagonists

Mobygames rarely disappoints.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

Babs Johnson posted:

Trying to remember a console driving game I played at a friends house in 1998 or so, either on Nintendo 64 or Playstation I think. It had this stunt driving mode which was the only one we played, driving around this bizarre arena trying to do stunts off of weirdly shaped gray and blue structures. Hitting the weird shapes and ramps at different angles would send your car flying off in a combination of flips and rotations and rolls etc, and the game would flash points on the screen based on how many stunts you could combine in one. If I remember right it had car damage, so the stunts would gently caress up your car until it exploded or stopped working. Then you would respawn and do more stunts. It was definitely one of the funnest games I've ever played.

I didn't see a correct response for this one, but it is definitely Rush 2 for the Nintendo64.

Mimiga
Apr 16, 2007

Scary, but fluffy.
My brother and I are both failing to remember the name of a game we played many a year ago.

It was a graphical adventure game, from the DOS era. I think we only played the demo, which would explain why I can only remember 15 minutes worth of game play. You started off in a modern day house, and it's dark and raining. The actual bulk of the game starts when you go over to your PC and start up an generic fantasy adventure game.

There's only two concrete details I can remember: there was a phone you could use to call people (before you started the fantasy game section), and that upon starting the fantasy game if you selected the sexy sidekick it was an immediate game-over.

Anybody remember this weird game-in-a-game?

Cidrick
Jun 10, 2001

Praise the siamese

Mimiga posted:

Pretty sure that's Companions of Xanth.

RhymesWithTendon
Oct 12, 2000

Captain_Obvius posted:

I'm trying to remember a game, I remember very little about it besides the fact that it was about dinosaurs; I think you played as a human/caveman I'm not sure if you time traveled or not. It is at least 12-14 years old at this point. It was definatley a console game though i don't remember which; sega? original nintendo? super nintendo? Your character moved from left to right like in mario- although the game might have auto moved you along if you waited for too long (not sure). Finally i think you shot stuff and I remember it being little brown/beige balls.
In addition to what ponzicar said, another possibility is Toki, in which you played as a caveman-turned-ape and would attack enemies by spitting brown and beige balls at them. It's also getting a remake soon.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Still haven't found out the name of one of the games (the RPG in a church or whatnot was probably the canceled one mentioned in an earlier post)

I'll try to put in a bit more detail this time around, from what little I can remember.

You started outside, and it was possibly top down there (not sure about that though). I'm not sure, but I believe it was modern times and you were a bunch of kids. Weaponry was if I remember correctly stuff like slingshots or sticks, but that's one of the hazier details. What I do remember with some clarity is one of the enemies was snakes, and you could find eggs lying around. Some were inactive, but others suddenly started moving and you had to eat them before they hatched or a snake would pop out of them (I think you got HP from eating them). You had to gather tiles or jewels of some kind. You explored the dungeons sort of like the earliest Ultima games (sorta first person).

The reason I could be remembering this badly is cause it might've been a split top down/First Person view. I think the demo was just the first floor or so of the dungeon.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Mimiga posted:

My brother and I are both failing to remember the name of a game we played many a year ago.

It was a graphical adventure game, from the DOS era. I think we only played the demo, which would explain why I can only remember 15 minutes worth of game play. You started off in a modern day house, and it's dark and raining. The actual bulk of the game starts when you go over to your PC and start up an generic fantasy adventure game.

There's only two concrete details I can remember: there was a phone you could use to call people (before you started the fantasy game section), and that upon starting the fantasy game if you selected the sexy sidekick it was an immediate game-over.

This is almost definitely Companions of Xanth.

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life
if there are no sexborgs?
I have a few games: (I was not able to see anything that sparked a memory on Moby Games)

1. Some sort of game where you were vikings, and I think it was DOS-based or possibly early Windows 3.1. The screen where you move was overhead, but battle was seen from the side. You could build cities/villages or take over other villages. When a unit died, Valkyries flew down on winged horses and carried your fallen unit away (part of "Flight of the Valkyries" played when they appeared). If it helps, the berserker unit had 2 swords. I think the game came out sometime between 1992 and 1998. (I THINK I got a demo for this game on a CD that came with a magazine, if that helps at all)

2. I remember this DOS game from the old shareware days, so early 1990s? You were a female cop, you lost your dad years ago, and at some point in the game you were captured and mind-wiped/tortured and they took that memory away. Also at some point your vehicle is sabotaged and you are made part machine so you can survive (I think this happened around half-way through the shareware levels). The game was an overhead vehicle shooter where you were driving/flying around in a city, and on some missions you could fly a helicopter, and during one level an alien spaceship is flying down the main street of the city and you have to destroy it.

3. A 3D rendered RTS where I think the US is invaded by either Russia or China, set in either modern time or the very near future. One of the selling points of it was that you can use nuclear weapons in the middle of battle to destroy a few buildings/small area of the map. I think this game came out after 2004 and I want to say 2006-2008, and at the very least I played it on a Windows system (not sure if it was XP or Vista though)

CHaKKaWaKka
Aug 6, 2001

I've chosen my next victim. Cry tears of joy it's not you!

Volcano Style posted:

I remember playing some really mediocre fighting game for the Mega Drive/Genesis that I rented. It came in one of those two-game cartridges where everytime you turned the power off and then on again, the other game would play. The game it came with was Decap-Attack and if I'm right, one of the fighters was some sort of squarish golem with a huge face.

I don't even remember it being that good a game but closure would be nice.

Sounds like Fighting Masters, although I don't remember that coming in a two-game cartridge. It did have a square egyptian rock golem as a a fighter though. Also a lobster, robot, kickboxing horse and man-eating plant.

Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

Fire Storm posted:

I have a few games: (I was not able to see anything that sparked a memory on Moby Games)

1. Some sort of game where you were vikings, and I think it was DOS-based or possibly early Windows 3.1. The screen where you move was overhead, but battle was seen from the side. You could build cities/villages or take over other villages. When a unit died, Valkyries flew down on winged horses and carried your fallen unit away (part of "Flight of the Valkyries" played when they appeared). If it helps, the berserker unit had 2 swords. I think the game came out sometime between 1992 and 1998. (I THINK I got a demo for this game on a CD that came with a magazine, if that helps at all)

2. I remember this DOS game from the old shareware days, so early 1990s? You were a female cop, you lost your dad years ago, and at some point in the game you were captured and mind-wiped/tortured and they took that memory away. Also at some point your vehicle is sabotaged and you are made part machine so you can survive (I think this happened around half-way through the shareware levels). The game was an overhead vehicle shooter where you were driving/flying around in a city, and on some missions you could fly a helicopter, and during one level an alien spaceship is flying down the main street of the city and you have to destroy it.

3. A 3D rendered RTS where I think the US is invaded by either Russia or China, set in either modern time or the very near future. One of the selling points of it was that you can use nuclear weapons in the middle of battle to destroy a few buildings/small area of the map. I think this game came out after 2004 and I want to say 2006-2008, and at the very least I played it on a Windows system (not sure if it was XP or Vista though)

3. World in Conflict?

MisterFreshman
Aug 30, 2008
A side-scrolling game on Sega Genesis. I don't remember much except you could shoot, climb up and down levels, and there was this subway that you could take to Europa or Africa.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

MisterFreshman posted:

A side-scrolling game on Sega Genesis. I don't remember much except you could shoot, climb up and down levels, and there was this subway that you could take to Europa or Africa.

Probably Flashback.

Major Ryan
May 11, 2008

Completely blank

Fire Storm posted:

Almost certainly Traffic Department 2192.

Haven't thought about that one in years, but your description bought it right back. Only ever played the shareware, but teenage me played it to death all the same.

MisterFreshman
Aug 30, 2008

Hakkesshu posted:

Probably Flashback.

YES thank you! I was thinking "free-something" for the name for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Fire Storm posted:

This could be either Vikings: The Strategy of Ultimate Conquest or Vikings: Fields of Conquest.