Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

J.theYellow
May 7, 2003
Slippery Tilde

Willie Tomg posted:

I didn't have to use videogame logic to figure out what the designers intended me to do. I got an objective and was able to take the most natural-feeling path through the environment to get to it.

That's the kind of fundamental, common-sense good design you just don't see these days. Or back then, for that matter.

It does require the same level to have and support multiple paths. That's hard to design, and even harder to implement. Linear paths are much easier to plan, implement, and test for bugs.

It's also semi-apparent that the team was running out of steam, or time, toward the end of Deus Ex's production. Two of the later levels, namely the abandoned gas station and the nuclear launch site, are remarkably more linear (but Area 51 was not, so it figures that was developed separately.)

As one of the videos on Youtube points out, though, there are still nifty secrets to be had in these, such as -- toss a LAM at the gas pumps at the abandoned station, and they'll explode, causing the awnings above them to collapse. Of course, doing stupid poo poo like this in a heavy stealth and hostage rescue mission will likely cause the MiBs to alert and kill Savage Alex's daughter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mystic Cave zOWNd
Dec 22, 2006

Trixie bravely turned her tail and fled

And there was much rejoicing.

J.theYellow posted:

It's also semi-apparent that the team was running out of steam, or time, toward the end of Deus Ex's production. Two of the later levels, namely the abandoned gas station and the nuclear launch site, are remarkably more linear (but Area 51 was not, so it figures that was developed separately.)

In the postmortem it's admitted it was time; they opted to try to get all the levels up to as high a consistent standard as they could rather than focus on getting some of them awesome and leaving others as complete rear end. By the way, didn't see this beautiful thing posted yet and it's essentially required watchin', so hop to it.

e: VV That's pretty savage

Mystic Cave zOWNd fucked around with this message at 20:55 on May 3, 2010

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice

J.theYellow posted:

As one of the videos on Youtube points out, though, there are still nifty secrets to be had in these, such as -- toss a LAM at the gas pumps at the abandoned station, and they'll explode, causing the awnings above them to collapse. Of course, doing stupid poo poo like this in a heavy stealth and hostage rescue mission will likely cause the MiBs to alert and kill Savage Alex's daughter.

Noticed something new to me on this level. Most of us have probably allowed Alex's daughter to be slain so that you get Jock's transmission about a female lifeform getting killed (something like that). But I killed everyone, then dragon tooth'ed her before we talked and Alex comes on the line and tells you he cannot watch it anymore and tells you to get out of there.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

Willie Tomg posted:

It seemed so natural and sensible an approach to go into an alley, climb up the fire escape, ghost from rooftop to rooftop avoiding the defenses at ground level, sneak around back and override the generator's cooling system.

I didn't have to use videogame logic to figure out what the designers intended me to do. I got an objective and was able to take the most natural-feeling path through the environment to get to it.
That's one thing that makes that level so great - there are three distinct paths, but they have crossover sections that allow you to switch from one to the other. I also like being able to look down from the roofs into the alley and see the traps and such. It just feels so much more cohesive than having all the paths completely isolated and railroaded. I like the sub base level a lot for the same reason (except Tong[?] is a loving rear end for suggesting you go through the vents on the roof, because that's the worst path ever).

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Carbohydrates posted:

(except Tong[?] is a loving rear end for suggesting you go through the vents on the roof, because that's the worst path ever).

I usually just go up there from the inside anyway, just to blow up more spider bots.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Crappy Jack posted:

I still remember the secret room underneath Jacobson's office blowing my mind on like the tenth playthrough.

Wait what

Looks like I've got to reinstall Deus Ex.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

you can let Walton Simons live and he shows up later? dammit.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

you can let Walton Simons live and he shows up later? dammit.

Yep. If you avoid him at the seabase, he shows up again at Area 51 itching for a final showdown. Of course, with the water route, you can avoid him there, too. Poor little guy.

And yeah, part of the floor in Jacobson's office is usable, and Denton will slide the floor over to reveal a hidden compartment that gets restocked with cool stuff every time you come back to UNATCO.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

TehGherkin posted:

On my last playthrough I swam around there for hours and hours, and was never able to find it.

I forget the exact canal, but I distinctly remember it being down there somewhere... but my 10 year old memory may be off.

J.theYellow
May 7, 2003
Slippery Tilde

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Wait what

Looks like I've got to reinstall Deus Ex.

There's a whole subplot involving that secret crawlspace, involving Sharon, the lady in the Alice in Wonderland dress, who you might meet in the ladies' restroom at UNATCO. She's been stealing from the armory, and if you run into her in the break room while trying to escape, she'll sell you stuff.

Also, in case Mystic Cave's link above didn't register, watch Deus Ex completed in under 44 minutes.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Crappy Jack posted:

Yep. If you avoid him at the seabase, he shows up again at Area 51 itching for a final showdown. Of course, with the water route, you can avoid him there, too. Poor little guy.

Course if you avoided him there you'd miss JC's all time best one-liner.

What annoyed me about IW was that Alex D had no personality whatsoever, compared to JC who was just ice cold and collected all the time, but not boring, and fairly witty at times too.

J.theYellow
May 7, 2003
Slippery Tilde

Dr Snofeld posted:

What annoyed me about IW was that Alex D had no personality whatsoever, compared to JC who was just ice cold and collected all the time, but not boring, and fairly witty at times too.

I'd argue Alex D had a personality, it was just infinitely malleable, with a capacity to immediately come up with a four-sentence question to derive the eight-sentence response from whoever he was talking to, such that every conversation further cemented the core dual concepts of Invisible War: nothing matters and humanity deserves what's coming to them, the overeducated, single-issue pricks.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Anyone else enjoy picking up corpses and dragging them casually around with them in non combat zones in this game?

'Mind if I pop my friend here?'

Fnoigy
Apr 9, 2007

I'm fine. Why do you ask?

SeanBeansShako posted:

Anyone else enjoy picking up corpses and dragging them casually around with them in non combat zones in this game?

'Mind if I pop my friend here?'
If you're not dropping them at peoples' feet as gifts, you're doing it wrong.

VVVV I managed to knock out Lebidev with tranquilizer darts at a time where Navarre accepted this, and was able to carry Lebidev with me all through the game. Sadly, literally less than an hour from the end I accidentally lost track of his body (I SWEAR I left it by the aug upgrade canister!). I then knocked out an MJ12 jet-fighter-arms trooper and started calling him "Lebidev", but it just wasn't the same. :smith:

Fnoigy fucked around with this message at 02:49 on May 4, 2010

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
I knocked out the two prisoners and brought them to the medlab. I didn't even let Simons interrogate them :c00l: I might also bring Lebedev along with me this time.

KnightLight
Aug 8, 2009

I just realized that I have never played a no-pistols game. Or a no-rifles game.
Giving up pistols wouldn't be a big deal, but rifles? Eegh. I love my sniper rifle.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

KnightLight posted:

Eegh.

Funny, that's what the pistols and rifles yell when fired. :smug:

Le Sean
Feb 18, 2006
Magazines call me a Rockstar, Girls call me Cockstar

Dr Snofeld posted:

How dare you.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

J.theYellow posted:

There's a whole subplot involving that secret crawlspace, involving Sharon, the lady in the Alice in Wonderland dress, who you might meet in the ladies' restroom at UNATCO. She's been stealing from the armory, and if you run into her in the break room while trying to escape, she'll sell you stuff.
Yeah, it's just a little side thing.

quote:

SHANNON
Okay! I admit it! I'm the one who's been stealing from the HQ! It was me all
along. Kaplan, the false floor in Alex's office, everything that's missing... It
was me!
That's the only mention of the hidden area in Jacobson's office and it's a quick throwaway line you only hear the very last time you're in UNATCO, but there's different stuff under those floorboards every time you're there, so this is one of those things that really does encourage another playthrough.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I've just started Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory, and there are occasional flashes of brilliance and non-linearity such as the New York Penthouse level, which gives me Hells Kitchen Warehouse and Life of the Party vibes. However, the levels are usually way too small and non-linear, especially the Peru and Hokkaido missions. Plus, Sam has learnt the touch of death, where he can walk up to someone an arms length away, lightly tap them with his palm, and they'll crumple to the floor. The directional lighting is also sorta weird, where standing in the shadows makes you completely invisible to guards even if you're silhouetted by slightly brighter surroundings, and guards won't turn around even if your shadow falls across the.

On the other hand, the Harry Potter remote light switch is brilliant for ghosting around without leaving signs of your travel, as are the various risk/reward options for even basic obstacles like doors.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

Phobophilia posted:

Plus, Sam has learnt the touch of death, where he can walk up to someone an arms length away, lightly tap them with his palm, and they'll crumple to the floor.
What a coincidence! JC Denton can walk up to someone an arm's length away, lightly PROD with the PROD, and they'll crumple to the floor.

Torsade de Pointes
Feb 14, 2006

Oh, yeah. I name all the operations that go down in Taipei, even the ones that aren't mine. Operation Latex Turtle, Operation Angry Bees, Operation AAAAAHHHH-YOOOOOOOW! Heh. That was a good one.

Dr Snofeld posted:

What does he say? I always end up killing him.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

Torsade de Pointes posted:

What does he say? I always end up killing him.
WALTON SIMONS
You take another step forward, and here I am again, like your own reflection
repeated in a hall of mirrors.

JC DENTON
That makes me one ugly son-of-a-bitch. How'd my face get all marked-up with
bioelectrics?

WALTON SIMONS
I am the more advanced model, Denton. It's time for you to retire.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
What does "Segmented" mean in a speedrun context? Does it mean the sections come from separate playthoughs, or just reloaded save games?

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Amethyst posted:

What does "Segmented" mean in a speedrun context? Does it mean the sections come from separate playthoughs, or just reloaded save games?

Try one segment five or six times, save the playthrough with the best time, do it again for the next section of the game, rinse, repeat.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
That speedrun is amazing, I wonder what causes that grenade jump exploit? Some quirk of the physics engine.
EDIT: HAH! The exploit he uses to keep all his stuff when he gets imprisoned in unatco is hilarious.

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

Carbohydrates posted:

That's the only mention of the hidden area in Jacobson's office and it's a quick throwaway line you only hear the very last time you're in UNATCO, but there's different stuff under those floorboards every time you're there, so this is one of those things that really does encourage another playthrough.

Actually, she mentions it earlier as well.
If you talk to her enough, she'll say something like: "If you need some supplies, check the false floor under Jacobson's room. The janitor has 'sticky' fingers"
I don't remember when exactly, but its one or two visits before seeing Paul in his apartment. I have no idea what the janitor reference is supposed to mean.

I only discovered this on my most recent runthrough. Its kind of ridiculous. Even after 10 or so playthroughs, I'll still consistently find something new every time, even in the first few levels.

Someone here might know this. Was Ion Storm located in Washington State? I recently moved here, and on the same playthrough, I'm noticing a lot of little throwaway references to places here. eg: a newspaper in front of Paul's apartment references Bellevue. One of the bums in the free clinic talks about being attacked by the NSF in "Squalnomie" (probably meant Snoqualmie). Maybe I'm just stretching for references though.

On a side note, this is the game that introduced me to nethack :)

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
This might be of use to y'all. It's a complete list of all the weapon upgrades in the (unmodded) game. No idea if shifters adds more. Credits to D'Juhn Keep over at the Through the Looking Glass forums.

D'Juhn Keep posted:

Deus Ex Weapon Mod List

Liberty Island

1. Scope ----- Tech Sgt. Kaplan (700)
2. Laser ----- Broken Power Generator
3. Clip
4. Reload ----- Sunken Freighter
5. Accuracy
6. Accuracy ----- Outside Gunther's Prison

UNATCO HQ

7. Accuracy ----- Corporal Collins' Office
8. Scope ----- Jacobson's False Floor

Hell's Kitchen

9. Scope ----- Smuggler (2100 / 700)
10. Clip ----- Smuggler's Mirror
11. Accuracy ----- MJ12 Sewer Base (pic)

UNATCO HQ

12. Recoil ----- Mess Room Cabinet
13. Accuracy ----- Carter

La Gardia

14. Reload ----- Sewers leading to the airfield
15. Range ----- Security secret room
16. Accuracy ----- Crates (pic) (red circle on right for reference)
17. Scope ----- Barracks secret room
18. Recoil ----- 747 Hanger Mechanic
19. Accuracy ----- 747 Hanger Truck
20. Recoil ----- North East Security Tower
21. Clip ----- Broken Power Generator

UNATCO HQ

22. Recoil ----- Under Your Desk
23. Reload ----- Behind bin in Manderley's toilet

Hell's Kitchen

24. Accuracy ----- Top floor of the lift in the 'Ton
25. Range ----- Smuggler (2400)
26. Clip ----- (1500)
27. Recoil ----- Smuggler's Mirror
28. Clip
29. Accuracy ----- NSF HQ Cabinet

MJ12 Base

30. Accuracy ----- Mechanic in Bot Maintenance (750)
31. Range ----- Armoury
32. Silencer

UNATCO HQ

33. Recoil ----- Carter's Armoury
34. Range

Hong Kong

35. Recoil ----- MJ12 Helibase Armoury
36. Clip ----- Canal Road Policeman (pic)
37. Accuracy ----- Boatwoman (750)
38. Reload ----- (600)
39. Recoil ----- (400)
40. Laser ----- Canal Road Collapse
41. Clip ----- Cabinet in MJ12 part of Chow's Apartment
42. Clip ----- Tracer Tong's Lab
43. Clip ----- Versalife Security Office

Hell's Kitchen

44. Accuracy ----- MJ12 Sewer Base (pic) (this time it's inside the sewer pipe)

Naval Base

45. Range ----- Naval Base Truck
46. Reload ----- Walton Simons' Office

Superfreighter

47. Laser ----- Command Centre of Superfreighter
48. Silencer ----- Electronics Lab
49. Accuracy

Denfert-Rochereau

50. Recoil ----- Arms Dealer in the Metro (1200 / 400)

Catacombs

51. Scope ----- Agent Hela
52. Reload ----- Locked box in Bunker 3

Champs-Elysées

53. Reload ----- Policeman (pic)
54. Scope ----- MJ12 Soldier
55. Accuracy ----- Arms Dealer's House
56. Range
57. Clip
58. Laser

DuClare Mansion

59. Reload ----- Behind Beth's Painting
60. Clip ----- Behind Nicolette's Fireplace
61. Accuracy ----- Routing thingy room

Metro Station

62. Accuracy ----- Mechanic (750)
63. Range ----- (800)

Templar Cathedral

64. Recoil ----- Adept 34501's Cell (small bedroom, not the large one)
65. Range ----- Gold Vault
66. Reload
67. Scope

Everett's House

68. Laser ----- Cabinet next to Everett
69. Accuracy

Vandenberg

70. Range ----- MJ12 Corpse outside the main walls
71. Range ----- MJ12 Corpse in the flooded room

Gas Station

72. Accuracy ----- Hobo (750)
73. Recoil ----- (400)
74. Silencer ----- Truck

Vandenberg Sub Bay

75. Silencer ----- Guard Room

Ocean Lab

76. Recoil ----- Next to the Karkian, 01
77. Reload ----- Locker, C1
78. Laser ----- Locker, C2
79. Clip ----- Flooded area to the right of sub entrance

Missile Silo

80. Range ----- Dormitory
81. Silencer ----- Truck

Area 51

82. Accuracy ----- Dead Soldier (pic)
83. Laser ----- Dead Soldier (pic)
84. Recoil ----- Box on Gray level

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

animatorZed posted:

Actually, she mentions it earlier as well.
If you talk to her enough, she'll say something like: "If you need some supplies, check the false floor under Jacobson's room. The janitor has 'sticky' fingers"
I don't remember when exactly, but its one or two visits before seeing Paul in his apartment. I have no idea what the janitor reference is supposed to mean.

I only discovered this on my most recent runthrough. Its kind of ridiculous. Even after 10 or so playthroughs, I'll still consistently find something new every time, even in the first few levels.

Someone here might know this. Was Ion Storm located in Washington State? I recently moved here, and on the same playthrough, I'm noticing a lot of little throwaway references to places here. eg: a newspaper in front of Paul's apartment references Bellevue. One of the bums in the free clinic talks about being attacked by the NSF in "Squalnomie" (probably meant Snoqualmie). Maybe I'm just stretching for references though.

On a side note, this is the game that introduced me to nethack :)

ION Storm was based in Dallas, with the non-dysfunctional Warren Spector division in Austin. I figured the Northwest Secessionist Forces were loosely based around the occasional "Cascadia" movement for an independent state up there. Apparently, the NSF murdered Carter's family here in Merced for some reason, too.

Miles Vorkosigan
Mar 21, 2007

The stuff that dreams are made of.
Ahaha, you can destroy the little roomba bots by stomping on them enough. It's even more fun than jumping on cats!

Liska
Jan 9, 2002
A MY LITTLE PONY AVATAR WAS HERE

Liesmith posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7tRYj-Y6qI

this one is my favorite, followed by "JC Tenton wants his cheese"

Oh god I watched both of those and laughed until I cried loving tears. I think I woke the neighbors.

edit: Holy poo poo, I didn't realize how long this thread was.

Hard Clumping
Mar 19, 2008

Y'ALL BREADY
FOR THIS

Liska posted:

Holy poo poo, I didn't realize how long this thread was.

What a shame.

CaptainWinky
Jun 13, 2001

Miles Vorkosigan posted:

Ahaha, you can destroy the little roomba bots by stomping on them enough. It's even more fun than jumping on cats!

This part of the Sunglasses at Night walkthrough describes, among other things, how to utilize the UNATCO vacuum cleaner to send everyone in the building into blind rage.

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?
I'm on my first playthrough of the game and read a few pages but I started to get a little worried that I would spoiler the game for myself if I kept reading.

I've been getting random and sporadic slowdowns while playing with both the standard direct3d renderer and the direct 10 3d renderer listed in the OP and nothing from the FAQ in that fixer has helped me to actually resolve the issue. None of the tweaks or anything.

Does anyone have any leads? Should I disable throttling?

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.

Elindale posted:

I'm on my first playthrough of the game and read a few pages but I started to get a little worried that I would spoiler the game for myself if I kept reading.

I've been getting random and sporadic slowdowns while playing with both the standard direct3d renderer and the direct 10 3d renderer listed in the OP and nothing from the FAQ in that fixer has helped me to actually resolve the issue. None of the tweaks or anything.

Does anyone have any leads? Should I disable throttling?

Try http://kentie.net/article/deusexe/index.htm

I was having similar issues but that seemed to fix it.

SM64Guy
Apr 1, 2005

Captain Novolin posted:

Try http://kentie.net/article/deusexe/index.htm

I was having similar issues but that seemed to fix it.

I'd also like to say this works replacing the steam exe too, I did it

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Miles Vorkosigan posted:

And in Shifter you get some huge number of SP

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Speaking of cats, in the mole people hideout, the bloody cats were going insane killing rats.

Is this Shifter stuff? I could have sworn this is not there in vanilla.

J.theYellow
May 7, 2003
Slippery Tilde

CaptainWinky posted:

This part of the Sunglasses at Night walkthrough describes, among other things, how to utilize the UNATCO vacuum cleaner to send everyone in the building into blind rage.

This guy almost got the job done:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omZE8ozyg-k

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

Steakandchips posted:

Speaking of cats, in the mole people hideout, the bloody cats were going insane killing rats.

Is this Shifter stuff? I could have sworn this is not there in vanilla.

It was a fairly recent change to Shifter: cats have weapons (teeth) and they hate mice. They also have code to go after corpses and eventually gib them. :3: